Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16870871 times)

Vince, shakalnokturn, factory, nfmax, tggzzz, dxl and 240 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86100 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:48 pm »
In the interest of not cocking up this 3478A cal like the first one, I have built a better quality "heart bypass" for it. Probably overkill but I'm avoiding making the same mistake again. 78L05 + caps + series diode in this case. But there's some careful design thoughts going into this one. The voltage is higher than the battery backup which means you can measure and validate whether it's connected or not before removing the original battery. Also it is shrink wrapped meaning less short possibility (what I did wrong last time I think).

So the plan of action is:

1. Check new battery voltage before installation in case it is faulty.
2. Disconnect from the mains.
3. Mask the area with kapton before performing surgery to avoid shorts.
4. Measure the voltage across C510 and note as VOLD.
5. Solder the bypass unit across CR764 cathode and ground and then install the battery
6. Measure the voltage across C510 and note as VNEW.
7. Validate VNEW > VOLD
8. Desolder old battery.
9. Install new battery.
10. Measure voltage across CR764 anode and ground and confirm >0 and <VNEW
11. Remove battery from bypass unit then remove bypass unit.
12. Measure voltage across C510 and validate >0.
13. Power up and hopefully not cry myself to sleep

Any flaws anyone can see?

schematic (compiled) showing the OR'ed together +5v and backup supply. The "bypass supply" has another diode meaning 3 input OR.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:17:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86101 on: March 23, 2021, 10:33:20 pm »
Your BOM needs to include one shot of single-malt to steady your hand.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86102 on: March 23, 2021, 10:55:50 pm »

mnem
:-//
Just one ?  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86103 on: March 23, 2021, 10:58:45 pm »
In the interest of not cocking up this 3478A cal like the first one, I have built a better quality "heart bypass" for it. Probably overkill but I'm avoiding making the same mistake again. 78L05 + caps + series diode in this case. But there's some careful design thoughts going into this one. The voltage is higher than the battery backup which means you can measure and validate whether it's connected or not before removing the original battery. Also it is shrink wrapped meaning less short possibility (what I did wrong last time I think).

5. Solder the bypass unit across CR764 cathode and ground and then install the battery
7. Validate VNEW > VOLD
8. Desolder old battery.
9. Install new battery.

schematic (compiled) showing the OR'ed together +5v and backup supply. The "bypass supply" has another diode meaning 3 input OR.

Just watched this video of a 3478A having the battery swapped out. Idiot is doing this with the power switched on, and is using solder wick and a brush to clean up the solder pad with almost zero bristles in it, I was waiting for the sparks to come, but they didn't, he got lucky.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86104 on: March 23, 2021, 11:00:03 pm »

Yeah i watched the “powered up” replacements and wondered if they actually thought about it first  :-//

I will have a drink or two first for sure  :-DD

Think UPS have managed to lose another fucking package. They’re fired.

Also farnell screwed up. Three separate consignments have been generated from 16 line items. Two dispatched one still processing  :palm:. Same day dispatch my fucking arse.

Also bought a ream of paper from Amazon. Turns out it’s shipping from Koln. Landed at castle donnington earlier today. Surely there’s an easier way for a £6 lump of paper?!?!?

Everything so damn stressful at the moment.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86105 on: March 23, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »
Just a point on EMC and OEM PC builds. The general assumption is if all the components are independently tested then the final assembly is as well. Under EMC Directive at least if all components are CE marked then job done. If your device is found not to be compliant then push the problem upstream.

No refering to you but the assumption- it's total  :bullshit: bullshit.
A. Components should not be CE marked (there are exceptions like safety switches, but not relevant here)
B. Unless you use the exact configuration used for testing you can't ensure compliance.
C. It is the manufacturer or importer who is responsible for compliance. If you/they get fined good luck trying to get the board suplier to cover your cost. You certainly can't pass the prosecution on to them, they will soon point out the components do not have to comply, see A.
D. How do you CE mark a case for EMC just sit it in a chamber with no power  :palm: (the case is vital to PC EMC)

Even if an OEM has correctly desigined manfactured and test a product and it is compliant they have to show onging production is compliant. This included ensuring any changes in component specifications do not havee an adverse effect.

The big issue is there is virtually no enforcement and in th UK the agency charged with enforcement has no inhouse expertise or funding to get it.   :rant:

There is a story that HP had trouble with EMC on some VME systems, reportd by he users. Long story short due to local regulations the grounding finger strip on front panels of cards made in europe had different plating to those from the USA. All EU or all USA card stups were fine but if you mixed cards there wew poor bonding and passive intermodulation problems! Even when you try hard it can still fail.

Well aware it’s bullshit but that’s the line you get fed.

Ofcom won’t enforce anything as they sold all their kit off a few years back  :-//

An ACMA luminary some years back was quoted as saying something along these lines:-
"Our job is to facilitate business in their use of the spectrum."

Importer:-
"We want to import this non-complying crap."

ACMA (Rolling over):-
 "Rub my tummy!"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86106 on: March 23, 2021, 11:13:45 pm »
Actually, Amazon have been good for me of late, I even got those Basic USB-A to Lightning leads the same day on Sunday, call me impressed.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #86107 on: March 23, 2021, 11:25:15 pm »
It does have option 001 (8th digit), but maybe not factory installed, or the sticker fell off.  :-//

David

Good point, it does have the 8th digit.  I was only looking for the sticker on the back...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #86108 on: March 23, 2021, 11:27:35 pm »

Note to self:  I still need to check out the 3468A I picked up at the end of last summer  :-//  Seven months already without looking at it.

Which battery did you choose for it?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86109 on: March 23, 2021, 11:34:05 pm »
Varta 3v lithium manganese dioxide axial leaded 1/2 A sized (25mm len by 14.5mm dia). Closest to the original.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #86110 on: March 23, 2021, 11:42:50 pm »
Back 20 years ago, people did not mount their computers in 19" racks as much as we do today. There was this concept of a "tower server". and some machines could have a rack mount kit attached to it -- I've converted a bunch of yellow pre-hp Compaqs from tower to rack, once.

I do not miss those days.
20 years ago is three centuries in IT.  ;D Though I must admit I just remembered seeing a tower "server" comparatively recently. The idiots got their orders confused and bought a Dell workstation. It's probably still taking up nearly half a rack today.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:46:36 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86111 on: March 23, 2021, 11:51:49 pm »
Varta 3v lithium manganese dioxide axial leaded 1/2 A sized (25mm len by 14.5mm dia). Closest to the original.
That won't be a problem, you can make it fit if the leads are long enough.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86112 on: March 23, 2021, 11:53:40 pm »

mnem

No more, no less.  ;)

Additional shots should be part of the post-op In-Service Prep BOM; look under the Parts Cleaner line item.   >:D

mnem
It's 4:20 somewhere...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86113 on: March 24, 2021, 12:04:41 am »
In Other News...

I just survived an hour out front in the driveway, missing baskets with my son. I think I'm gonna curl up in bed with a nice warm fistful of pain meds...

mnem
somebody call me a ambulance

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86114 on: March 24, 2021, 12:13:47 am »

mnem

I'd rather go with several b--i--g  glasses of Bundy Rum & Coke!
On second thoughts,-----hold the Coke!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86115 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:01 am »

7. Validate VNEW > VOLD
8. Desolder old battery.
9. Install new battery.

Can the Cal data be read off the unit via GPIB or RS232? Haven't looked but I know this is possible on some of the HP gear.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86116 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:20 am »
In Other News...

I just survived an hour out front in the driveway, missing baskets with my son. I think I'm gonna curl up in bed with a nice warm fistful of pain meds...

mnem

When my son was young, I put up a "regulation height" basket & backboard on my carport.
What I neglected to consider is that our driveway slopes fairly sharply downwards away from that point.

Everybody wondered later why he could leap higher than most of his taller team mates.

Being up on the ladder, juggling the massive bits of the basket & backboard was more than enough exercise
for me---I only tried shooting baskets a couple of times before I decided it wasn't my thing.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86117 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:08 am »
In the interest of not cocking up this 3478A cal like the first one, I have built a better quality "heart bypass" for it. Probably overkill but I'm avoiding making the same mistake again. 78L05 + caps + series diode in this case. But there's some careful design thoughts going into this one. The voltage is higher than the battery backup which means you can measure and validate whether it's connected or not before removing the original battery. Also it is shrink wrapped meaning less short possibility (what I did wrong last time I think)...

Can the Cal data be read off the unit via GPIB or RS232? Haven't looked but I know this is possible on some of the HP gear.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3478a-how-to-readwrite-cal-sram/

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:58:41 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86118 on: March 24, 2021, 12:48:15 am »
woe is me, I am out a fairly high number of pesos for an AIM I-Prober 520 ...
One really enticing device! Had a salesrep in last year who did show it live. Bandwidth is a tad low, but it is on my list of gadgets to aquire. If you do not have a hall probe yet, it makes even more sense.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86119 on: March 24, 2021, 12:54:16 am »
In Other News...

mnem

When my son was young, I put up a "regulation height" basket & backboard on my carport. What I neglected to consider is that our driveway slopes fairly sharply downwards away from that point. Everybody wondered later why he could leap higher than most of his taller team mates. Being up on the ladder, juggling the massive bits of the basket & backboard was more than enough exercise for me---I only tried shooting baskets a couple of times before I decided it wasn't my thing.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3098667/?topicseen#msg3098667

Oh, this was a premeditated plan to get us both much needed exercise. We rescued and rehabilitated a curb-score basketball goal; this was in the worst of the first round of COVID lockdowns, when nobody had anything in stock. I had to order lumber and hardware online, wait a day, then go pick it up curbside, etc... a total dicksore to make it happen. The actual repair work went well; good father-son time and we both love the result.

mnem
 :box:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:56:18 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86120 on: March 24, 2021, 01:00:36 am »

mnem
I'd rather go with several b--i--g  glasses of Bundy Rum & Coke! On second thoughts,-----hold the Coke!

That definitely belongs on the Parts Cleaner line item...  :-DD

mnem

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86121 on: March 24, 2021, 01:26:13 am »
Anybody out there willing to sponsor me with 10 millos ?
https://www.bernard-gallay.com/buy-yacht-for-sale/hugo-boss

*Sigh* *dream*
Oh come on - what's up with you? It does not have a single MEKO slot!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86122 on: March 24, 2021, 01:28:34 am »

mnem
I'd rather go with several b--i--g  glasses of Bundy Rum & Coke! On second thoughts,-----hold the Coke!

That definitely belongs on the Parts Cleaner line item...  :-DD

mnem
Yeah not a huge fan of Bundy rum either however......as Bambi season is fast approaching a procession of shooters are arriving to use our range for last minute checks to ensure they can hit Bambi at whatever range and turn up with expressions of Koha (gratitude) mostly in glass bottles.  ;D

An all time fav materialized this morning ... a 40oz of Devils Cut which Larry Senior introduced me to on a visit to see him in Perth. Devils and Dry is something else and after decades of passing on wisdom to Larry Snr it's nice to get some back !  :-DD
Wee sample coming later tonight after all jobbies are done.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86123 on: March 24, 2021, 01:30:32 am »

A LOT cheaper  :D It's basically a 1Mb/s transmission loss tester for 78R balanced screened network cables. It a current model and a new one from Ultra Electronis will cost about £20,000  :scared: well worth 99p  :-DMM
https://www.ultra-pcs.com/air/ground-test-equipment/databus-network-analyser/
Jammy git!

Double stuffed jammy
 - UPS delivered a package today and I thought what the heck, I didn't order anything that big and heavy.
Opened it up and inside are two test sets. OK one does not have any leads or remote unit who's complaining when it's a freebe on a 99p purchase  ;D Just the "RAE" instrumen case is worth that to me. In addition there is a nice toroid based PSU, battery pack  two 10T pots (500R & 10k), switches etc. There are some useful bits on the board including a AD636 RMS /DC converter.
Oh and the working one had a couple of spare leads with 4 three lug triaxial BNC plugs.
Grrrr....those cables alone!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86124 on: March 24, 2021, 03:26:34 am »
In the interest of not cocking up this 3478A cal like the first one, I have built a better quality "heart bypass" for it. Probably overkill but I'm avoiding making the same mistake again. 78L05 + caps + series diode in this case. But there's some careful design thoughts going into this one. The voltage is higher than the battery backup which means you can measure and validate whether it's connected or not before removing the original battery. Also it is shrink wrapped meaning less short possibility (what I did wrong last time I think)...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3478a-how-to-readwrite-cal-sram/

mnem
 :-/O

Hadn't seen that thread but looks like a good thing to do just in case of 'human error' |O  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf