Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17492857 times)

enut11, flash2b, abeyer, smaultre and 112 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84900 on: March 10, 2021, 04:14:44 pm »
I got more metrology toys this week. I found this set on ebay. The price was fair for a complete set (1, 10, 100, 1K, 10K, 100K) so I sent a really low offer. Seller just accepted it  ;D In the end I paid around 16$ each resistor.

mineral

They are NBS (National Bureau of Standard) style primary resistor standards from Leeds and Northrup. The resistor is immerged in mineral oil and encapsulated in a metal container. To improve thermal dissipation they can be optionally immerged in an oil bath.

I measured all of them and they look good. The oil need to be changed though. It's supposed to be transparent and is now kind of brown.

For $16 Canadian/piece you stole them. Good deal.  :-+
16$US unfortunately. But the Can $ is getting pretty close these days.  ;D

But.....are you sure that oil isn't PCB? If they date back to the 1970's and the oil hasn't been changed there's a good chance it is.
I don't think PCB was ever used in Metrology. The old specsheet I got from Leeds and Northrup and I think they mention mineral oil. Fluke is also using Silicon oil, but it's super expensive.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:23:58 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84901 on: March 10, 2021, 04:21:22 pm »
I got more metrology toys this week. I found this set on ebay. The price was fair for a complete set (1, 10, 100, 1K, 10K, 100K) so I sent a really low offer. Seller just accepted it  ;D In the end I paid around 16$ each resistor.

I measured all of them and they look good. The oil need to be changed though. It's supposed to be transparent and is now kind of brown.
There was an inconclusive thread about what type of oil to use.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/oil-for-a-leaking-tinsley-standard-resistor/msg2761572/#msg2761572

Conrad Hoffman was recommending some standard mineral oil for the Fluke 720a. I got something similar. Will post pictures later today.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84902 on: March 10, 2021, 04:24:55 pm »
Piers Morgan threw a hissy fit on live TV?

Priceless.  :P :-DD

It gets better :)

In a tweet as the programme was beginning, Morgan said: "On Monday, I said I didn't believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I've had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don't."

He added: "Freedom of speech is a hill I'm happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I'm off to spend more time with my opinions."

His message was accompanied by a photo of Winston Churchill with a quote about free speech.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56343768

Umm.... yeah. I mean, isn't that exactly his job; the reason they pay him the big bux...?

Ever since I saw him trying to blame "the liberal snowflakes" for destroying free speech six ways from Sunday, all while working for one of the biggest purveyors of torrie mental cleansing, I've pretty much considered him and his to be just another variant on FOX Noise/Sinclair Network/Clear channel, etc propaganda.

There is a difference between fighting against hate speech and fighting against free speech; the popular belief that it is the "liberal conspiracy" which is destroying free speech is yet another bit of BS beat into our brains by the worldwide corporate-owned brainwashing machine. "Political Correctness" is literally a creation of the Reagan/Bush era ultra-conservative right-wingnuts reprogramming the American Public Education System; one of their biggest coups of all time has been to successfully blame that on the Dems. :palm:

Or have I completely missed something crucial here, seeing this all from the other side of the pond...?

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84903 on: March 10, 2021, 04:28:59 pm »

"Ran when parked". "May need to blow the dust out". "Stored in a garage".

And I was born yesterday.  ::)

I have seen you buy and bash worse looking dogpiles into running order again ;)

But that's an overwhelming dogpile of trash.  :P :-DD

So what... you're just waiting til next payday...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84904 on: March 10, 2021, 04:36:29 pm »

Finally, I've got my speakers back. Foam was replaced, looks pretty good to me. I'll put them back to their places and give them a test later. Can't do that ATM while in a teams call.

Mhmmm... looks like decent-quality butyl rubber or closed-cell foam surrounds; hard to tell from the pic. How much were total damages...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84905 on: March 10, 2021, 04:39:21 pm »

I got more metrology toys this week. I found this set on ebay. The price was fair for a complete set (1, 10, 100, 1K, 10K, 100K) so I sent a really low offer. Seller just accepted it  ;D In the end I paid around 16$ each resistor...

mnem
Eat it in good stead, brother. ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84906 on: March 10, 2021, 04:42:31 pm »

In a tweet as the programme was beginning, Morgan said: "On Monday, I said I didn't believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I've had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don't."

He added: "Freedom of speech is a hill I'm happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I'm off to spend more time with my opinions."

His message was accompanied by a photo of Winston Churchill with a quote about free speech.

Also:
"If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it."

If you want to know what a worthless scumbag he is, consider this: When I went on my obligatory training on libel law when I joined Dennis Publishing one of the key phases as to whether something that was clearly defamatory was libellous or not was "honestly held opinion". That he's parroting exactly those words tells you how calculated his actions are so that he can sail just close enough that he can't be sued for libel but can be as vituperative as possible otherwise. That, of itself, calls into question whether it is an honestly held opinion, or one contrived to cause maximum offence.

In my honestly held opinion Piers Morgan is the kind of creature that gives scum sucking, mouth breathing idiots a bad name and has less right to live on God's good earth than an anthrax spore. If you dumped him on Gruinard Island (and I heartily commend this action to any one in a a position to do so) any anthrax spores left there would move out in protest.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84907 on: March 10, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »

And they cater for the videophool market too, one fully aged & burn-in tested picture bulb, only $40 start price (think they would have to pay me a lot more than that to take that crap away).

David
They were trying to improve it by making an internal graticule.  Reduces parallax error, don'tcha know?

-Pat

mnem
*fucks off in search of 6-32 wafer-head screws*

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84908 on: March 10, 2021, 04:48:47 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/oil-for-a-leaking-tinsley-standard-resistor/msg2761572/#msg2761572

Conrad Hoffman was recommending some standard mineral oil for the Fluke 720a. I got something similar. Will post pictures later today.

Fluke Calibration Philosophy in Practice, page 14:

It should be light mineral oil  :)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84909 on: March 10, 2021, 04:51:55 pm »

Also:
"If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it."

If you want to know what a worthless scumbag he is, consider this: When I went on my obligatory training on libel law when I joined Dennis Publishing one of the key phases as to whether something that was clearly defamatory was libellous or not was "honestly held opinion". That he's parroting exactly those words tells you how calculated his actions are so that he can sail just close enough that he can't be sued for libel but can be as vituperative as possible otherwise. That, of itself, calls into question whether it is an honestly held opinion, or one contrived to cause maximum offence.

In my honestly held opinion Piers Morgan is the kind of creature that gives scum sucking, mouth breathing idiots a bad name and has less right to live on God's good earth than an anthrax spore. If you dumped him on Gruinard Island (and I heartily commend this action to any one in a a position to do so) any anthrax spores left there would move out in protest.

Following the British royal family and the squabbles surrounding them is a hobby for advanced players only...  the rest of us are better off on the Weather Channel, where the storms are given a name, make their debut, reach their peak, and go into the history book!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84910 on: March 10, 2021, 04:58:45 pm »

Also:

Not to disagree, but PM has been one of the few people to robustly challenge the PM and other ministers about their actions w.r.t. covid.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84911 on: March 10, 2021, 05:00:15 pm »
Following the British royal family and the squabbles surrounding them is a hobby for advanced players only...  the rest of us are better off on the Weather Channel, where the storms are given a name, make their debut, reach their peak, and go into the history book!

I'm missing the difference between them!

Intermediate level observers look at James Hewitt, the heir, and start wondering about the spare.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84912 on: March 10, 2021, 05:06:43 pm »
Not to disagree, but PM has been one of the few people to robustly challenge the PM and other ministers about their actions w.r.t. covid.

I think that falls under "Even a broken clock is right two times a day".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84913 on: March 10, 2021, 05:13:06 pm »
He’s more an infinite monkey. Hopefully he’ll say something useful. Everyone still waiting.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84914 on: March 10, 2021, 05:22:57 pm »
Oh, look... a queue. I haven't have had a good queuing in at least a month; think I'll join. :-DD

mnem
What are we all waiting for now...?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84915 on: March 10, 2021, 05:29:23 pm »
Oh, look... a queue. I haven't have had a good queuing in at least a month; think I'll join. :-DD

mnem
6-32 wafer-head screws ?  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84916 on: March 10, 2021, 05:30:24 pm »
Oh crap, me and my big mouth.  ::) :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84917 on: March 10, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »

So the cheapest source of good quality mineral oil I found was sold by a horse equipment store  :-DD

It's used as laxative for horse and it's pretty cheap at around 6$US per liter. Only contain mineral oil and it's pretty light.

I think I have enough for a while  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:43:29 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84918 on: March 10, 2021, 06:04:25 pm »
Oh dear... Kosmic has horse lube. We're all fooked. :scared:

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84919 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:02 pm »
Oh dear... Kosmic has horse lube. We're all fooked. :scared:

mnem

haha, when I received it, the discussion with SWMBO went as follow:

SWMBO: What did you just receive ?
Me: Ha nothing, only 8 liters of horse laxatives.
SWMBO: WTF, I don't even want to know what you are doing in the basement!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:22:18 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84920 on: March 10, 2021, 06:17:55 pm »
Well, obviously you're oiling your horse. Nobody likes it when they squeak.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:14:28 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84921 on: March 10, 2021, 06:19:09 pm »

mnem
6-32 wafer-head screws ?  ;D
If only I knew which line actually had them... I'd totally join up. It's been a bit of a Odyssey, this search.  :o

I can get 6-32 in pretty much anything but Truss or Wafer-Head screws; I can get Truss and Wafer and Flanged Button-Head in metric sizes... but it seems nowhere can I find the right size and head unless willing to order from the US at a cost in excess of $30 and a week or more shipping. And still have to cut to length. |O

mnem
And, Ifni save me, on top of that I need painted black/black oxide. :palm:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84922 on: March 10, 2021, 06:27:00 pm »
That's nuthing to get worked up about menm....waiting for 30 scopes to be made then shipped and won't see them before May !  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84923 on: March 10, 2021, 06:40:50 pm »

So the cheapest source of good quality mineral oil I found was sold by a horse equipment store  :-DD

It's used as laxatives for horse and it's pretty cheap at around 6$US per liter. Only contain mineral oil and it's pretty light.

I think I have enough for a while  :-DD
In the UK it's called liquid paraffin. You used to be able to get it at chemists and the like but they have stopped selling it because it was being used inapropriately (I'm not saying how, because google will pck it up eventually).
Equine suppliers is the best source here now.  If you only want a small quantity unsented baby oil is the same stuff.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84924 on: March 10, 2021, 06:46:31 pm »
Well, obviously you're oiling your horse. Nobody like it when they squeak.  :-DD

mnem

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf