Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17498197 times)

tautech, Robert763, Aiy and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84350 on: March 03, 2021, 01:46:37 pm »

Bought a scope. Telequipment  :scared:   D755 which is government issue D75 which is smaller D83. Appears to be working. Time will tell

Okay... who had... um... *squinting and guessing* 9 months, 17 days, 2 hours on the "bd falls off the never, ever TelEquip again wagon" pool...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:55:17 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84351 on: March 03, 2021, 01:59:29 pm »

Damn you bean... damn you to hell.  ;)

mnem

Tis a close run thing for worst looking Rear End, The Smurfing fan or this one  :-DD This one I give Bonus points for extra danger and not that visible is the single shielded figure 8 cable going into the chassis and looks like on an angle so not even a grommet :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #84352 on: March 03, 2021, 02:16:34 pm »
Hello everyone, I have been away for too long. This is today's harvest, a 7A22 plug-in, a 7A18, and a 7B53A. The other two are very common, 7A22 is still rare, differential amplification, the highest sensitivity is 10μV/ Div.
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84353 on: March 03, 2021, 02:25:39 pm »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84354 on: March 03, 2021, 02:31:45 pm »
Does anyone have a thought about why would one prefer the 2001 over the 7510?

I don't think you can really compare them. On paper the 7510 is better in every ways. The only reason to buy a 2001  is because you can have it cheap. And 1400$ EU is not my definition of cheap.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84355 on: March 03, 2021, 02:33:08 pm »

Bought a scope. Telequipment  :scared:   D755 which is government issue D75 which is smaller D83. Appears to be working. Time will tell

Okay... who had... um... *squinting and guessing* 9 months, 17 days, 2 hours on the "bd falls off the never, ever TelEquip again wagon" pool...?  :-DD

mnem

Prior to or after Tektronix take over? Did your Mother build this one?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84356 on: March 03, 2021, 02:34:09 pm »
One of the justifications I give to my self for buying something I do not need  :palm: is that with a 7.5 digit multimeter I can calibrate all my other multimeters.

I prefer a good old (i.e. stable) voltage reference plus a 7-decade KVD :) Having the reference measured by the German standards authority (PTB) hp3458a for free at the Hannover Maker Faire is a bonus.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84357 on: March 03, 2021, 02:35:13 pm »

mnem

Tis a close run thing for worst looking Rear End, The Smurfing fan or this one  :-DD This one I give Bonus points for extra danger and not that visible is the single shielded figure 8 cable going into the chassis and looks like on an angle so not even a grommet :palm:

Even I would never do a bodge like that.  |O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84358 on: March 03, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »
"Stock in trade" for Techs working in Broadcasting, where:-

"I have to wait for the manufacturer to fill up a container in Lower Slobbovia, with our part at the very bottom, then about a month for the ship to reach the wrong side of the country, then be emptied out, repacked in another container, trucked across to WA, sit around at the agent's store, then finally make its way here."

Just doesn't "hack it"!

Mostly, it is about those vendors, despite the very flashy IBC / NAB stand they've cobbled together, actually are ten people in a shed somewhere  and while their gear is top notch, and you probably can get a nice pub evening out of them (if you're allowed to travel that is) the concept of reliable logistics is a bit further off.

Now, for old school analog and digital hardware, the product cycles are long enough (much like TE) that this model works, but once they put a general purpose operating system (usually a Linux kernel that's old a year before first shipment) inside their device and network them, and they still are same ten people in a shed, they are going to build nicely looking boxes that sometimes do very strange things to your system, because testing is lacking. And bug fixes take ages. And they invariably ship too early for their own good (to meet contract deadlines), so you'll be requesting missing basic features over and over again that just not are going to come because there's one or two people doing the software. In one case they were two. One was smart and the other one a poser. The smart one left.  :palm:

Back when I did this relatively briefly for a living there were four of us in total, including the oily rag (me), at the company where I worked manufacturing custom modular radio broadcast consoles.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84359 on: March 03, 2021, 02:45:27 pm »
I'm deeply confused. I though you're italian? And aren't you the guy who moved to the US?

I am and will be italian forever, funny enough I love to jump to country to country every 4-5 years.
Right now I am in Munich but in a few month... boom I will show up in the USA clean.

The plan is to end up in Zihuatanejo...

Once had an Italian GF. Whenever she was mad she would throw things. Dishes, glasses, phone, whatever. She once destroyed a dishwasher with her throwing antics.  :o And if something pissed her off and I happen to be nearby she would punch me in the arm and then realize what she did then apologize and start kissing me. Very confusing.  :palm: But she was...ahem...very passionate and a damn good cook.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, SilverSolder, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84360 on: March 03, 2021, 02:48:12 pm »
From the "Guys, for what it is, I think we might overpacked this." department:

The Digikey box in the background is where the cat likes to sit watching the world go by, judging it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Cubdriver, BU508A, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84361 on: March 03, 2021, 02:49:30 pm »

mnem

Okayyyyzz... While it is true this horror-show cannot be unseen, it does appear as if the guilty party did in this case at least attempt to use existing screws and holes such that the abomination could be undone:-//

The other-horror-which-shall-not-be-named was brute-force chainsaw-brain-surgery with no remorse whatsoever... and worse, the culprit had a suitable replacement motor on hand and didn't even know it. The shameless/horror/irony sandwich that booty-fab represents does raise it to at least horror2 status, IMO...

Don't worry med... your crown as The Booty-Fab King remains solidly intact.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:53:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84362 on: March 03, 2021, 02:53:46 pm »

mnem

Okayyyyzz... While it is true this horror-show cannot be unseen, it does appear as if the guilty party did in this case attempt to at least use existing screws and holes such that the abomination could be undone:-//

The other-horror-which-shall-not-be-named was brute-force chainsaw-brain-surgery with no remorse whatsoever... and worse, the culprit had a suitable replacement motor on hand and didn't even know it. The shameless/horror/irony sandwich that booty-fab represents does raise it to at least horror2 status, IMO...

Don't worry med... your crown as The Booty-Fab King remains solidly intact.  :-DD

mnem

Keep dragging me into this abomination and I will be forced to remind all of my booty fab.  >:D |O ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84363 on: March 03, 2021, 02:57:08 pm »

mnem

Fly away... fly awayyyyy...!!!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84364 on: March 03, 2021, 02:59:27 pm »

mnem

Prior to or after Tektronix take over? Did your Mother build this one?

This was an after this D755. She was involved in D83/DM64 I think from memory. Did write it all down somewhere but can’t find it now  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84365 on: March 03, 2021, 03:00:54 pm »
"Children, play nicely!"

;D :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84366 on: March 03, 2021, 03:03:25 pm »
This is us playing nicely.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:17:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84367 on: March 03, 2021, 03:11:21 pm »
Still the 5G madness continues bloody muppets.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/dagenham-road-blocked-emergency-services-5065510

Oi. "Against one's own self-interest" doesn't even begin to cover this whole constellation of "shallow end of the gene-pool" idiocy... :palm:

mnem

*moves back a few dozen more paces inside his cave, just to be a little further from the outside world*
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:17:07 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84368 on: March 03, 2021, 03:18:41 pm »
This was an after this D755. She was involved in D83/DM64 I think from memory. Did write it all down somewhere but can’t find it now  :palm:

I have a working DM63 (plus manuals and extender card) which I ought to sell. It has two characteristics to baffle youngsters:
  • two beams (and three channels)
  • analogue storage

I'm a little wary of shipping it since I don't like how its heavy transformer is attached to the frame.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84369 on: March 03, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »

mnem

Fly away... fly awayyyyy...!!!

Fool ya.  >:D You thought I was gonna post it, didn't you?  :-DD

However, you have been warned.  :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84370 on: March 03, 2021, 03:24:50 pm »
Still the 5G madness continues bloody muppets.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/dagenham-road-blocked-emergency-services-5065510

Oi. "Against one's own self-interest" doesn't even begin to cover this whole constellation of "shallow end of the gene-pool" idiocy... :palm:

mnem

*moves back a few dozen more paces inside his cave, just to be a little further from the outside world*

This is Dagenham which “ain’t very nice”. This proves that natural selection works still on a community scale.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84371 on: March 03, 2021, 03:27:52 pm »

I have a working DM63 (plus manuals and extender card) which I ought to sell. It has two characteristics to baffle youngsters:
  • two beams (and three channels)
  • analogue storage

I'm a little wary of shipping it since I don't like how its heavy transformer is attached to the frame.

Yes it uses the same chassis as the D83 I think. Very iffy transformer mounting.  If it’s still around next time you frequent a hamfest and it’s not “tek priced” I may be able to relieve you of it if it’s of interest.

I’m trying to keep my test gear purchase roughly to: “british_made || fluke” at the moment to minimise parts availability risk which seems to be a big problem now our borders are buggered thoroughly

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84372 on: March 03, 2021, 03:32:04 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.

Just tell them you are fetching medical equipment at the government depot. Those oscilloscopes are used to monitor heart and respiration rate right ?

I was also entertaining the idea to go there. Eventually found out that newbrunswick was in lock down and the only way to get there was by boat. Might be too slow since you have 3 days to collect your lot.

Anybody have access to a plane ?

Access to a plane, or permission???  I could get access, but it would be a seriously career-limiting move to even touch it....  :scared:
The lack of a PPL might be another dis-incentive as well.  Would you want to come along on a ride like that?

The location in the auction is not the usual government depot, but a DND site.  Funny that you mention a boat, since I would assume the DND site is a naval yard.  Do you think they would allow us to show up there in your boat?  So, how big is your boat anyway.  Maybe I could trailer it as far east as possible through the eastern townships of QC and then we navigate around NB.  That might cut down the travel time?

I have this sinking feeling (oops, just realized the bad pun there, since we are talking about the Atlantic in winter) that someone who lives in NS or PEI is going to get a jammy-git award.   :(

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84373 on: March 03, 2021, 04:09:39 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.

Just tell them you are fetching medical equipment at the government depot. Those oscilloscopes are used to monitor heart and respiration rate right ?

I was also entertaining the idea to go there. Eventually found out that newbrunswick was in lock down and the only way to get there was by boat. Might be too slow since you have 3 days to collect your lot.

Anybody have access to a plane ?

Access to a plane, or permission???  I could get access, but it would be a seriously career-limiting move to even touch it....  :scared:
The lack of a PPL might be another dis-incentive as well.  Would you want to come along on a ride like that?

The location in the auction is not the usual government depot, but a DND site.  Funny that you mention a boat, since I would assume the DND site is a naval yard.  Do you think they would allow us to show up there in your boat?  So, how big is your boat anyway.  Maybe I could trailer it as far east as possible through the eastern townships of QC and then we navigate around NB.  That might cut down the travel time?

I have this sinking feeling (oops, just realized the bad pun there, since we are talking about the Atlantic in winter) that someone who lives in NS or PEI is going to get a jammy-git award.   :(

I have a canoe. You think it will carry 1 ton of TEA ? One of us might have to stay over there on our way back.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:13:30 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84374 on: March 03, 2021, 04:23:35 pm »
I’m trying to keep my test gear purchase roughly to: “british_made || fluke” at the moment to minimise parts availability risk which seems to be a big problem now our borders are buggered thoroughly

Stick with Hameg, they are using OTS components.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf