Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16710596 times)

Vince, Andy Watson, Robert763 and 67 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83550 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13:31 am »

Uggghhh... yeah. "Salaried position" is the new age way to rape employees.   

mnem
and they usually make you give up the benefits package for that "promotion"...

I reluctantly took that in exchange for another vacation week in negotiating my current position. Then, I've got a nominal 39.5 hour work week and no overtime beyond time for time compensation, 6 weeks paid vacation, on top of the normal mostly free (a visit to the GP costs ~40USD, fixed fee) medical care there's "just hand in your receipts" for that last 40 bucks.  It works well for me, despite the overtime absence. Mostly because employer actively insists that we take time off when we've had long days.

My last position before that was public employer, so roughly as above (but overtime and less basic pay) and 7 weeks vacation. Because I'm 40+ years old.

The fascists in the "Sweden Democrats" are like the idiots in AfD or the Farage crowd, they say that this country is a war zone.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #83551 on: February 23, 2021, 05:20:14 am »

That is exactly the one I was thinking of only BETTER, cuz I have like oodles of Intel CPU coolerz lying around.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to abuse myself on AliEx*

Ordered - because it was discounted  :palm: :-DD
Same.

I hate you guys.....

Hate/Love same same in TEA   >:D If it helps I have started sketching up on paper an idea for a custom enclosure. Laser cut I think - see you NEED one of those too  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83552 on: February 23, 2021, 07:00:15 am »
[...]
The flames are bad enough but what is more alarming is the severe vibration.

If I was looking out the window at that engine I would be thinking that it's going to fall off at any moment.

The vibrations are likely why everything fell apart in the first place.  Wonder if there is an "engine vibration monitor" in the cockpit?

Normally yes on larger aircraft. I don't knw for sure on the PW4000 777 though.  They are intended to detect low level vibrations as an early warning. Not needed in this case as vibration and damage was obvious.
The early 737 vibration indicators were unreliable and when a BA crew on a later 737 had an engine issue their perception of this caused them not to use them in determining which engine was faulty. This contributed to a chain of events that resulted in the working engine being shut down and the aircraft crashing at Kegworth.

Most modern PW engines have telemetry.  I would assume that the pilots would have a suite of parameters available.  I also assume that the airline maintenance office and P&W would have near live telemetry to provide guidance to the pilot on what action to take to protect the engine before failure.  Any uncontained fault is going to get hard questions to the designer, manufacturer and maintainer.  As far as I am aware, something like a blade failure is required to be contained according to the regulations.

Essentially all turbine aircraft in Part 121 service (commercial air carrier) will monitor key engine parameters (e.g., fuel flow, RPM, temps, vibe, EPR) and send this info to the airline over the ACARS data link at scheduled intervals and when a key value has exceeded preset limits.  But I can guarantee you that company dispatch is not going to call the flight crew to ask how they can help with their imminent engine failure.  Besides, in this case it probably happened with no warning so no one could have seen it coming.  Compressor blades are binary...they're either attached to the hub and doing their thing or they've left the engine.
Welcome to TEA.
The new big jets mostly work as you describe but a lot depends on who owns the engines. Recording or transmitting engine parameters is not mandatory (except for accident data recording). Some systems record the data and transfer it by short range data link at the gate. Simplist system is a "quick access recorder (QAR) that records to  memory card or similar Smaller. aircraft and airlines may not even have QAR.
You are correct hat it will not hav given any warning in this event. NTSB have confirmed a loss of fan blade. Looking very similr to UA1175 incident a couple of years ago. That one had indications of a crack in the blade but they thought it was a paint defect!

Tnx for the welcome.  I've been lurking for quite a while and I'm proud to admit to being totally addicted to classic TE.  I got excited about this particular thread because I was on the ACARS development team at Arinc in the early years of the service in the 80s.  Coupla more data points...  Yes, a lot of engines are "rented".  The downlink engine data goes to airline ops and the mfr.  But that also applies to owned engines.  Also, it would be a very rare major airline (if any) who wouldn't have ACARS these days.  It's just too important for operating efficiencies.  Yes, many aircraft have a QAR but it's mainly used for the a/c data that can wait until a convenient time to gather it from the recorder.  But ACARS is used for a boatload of purposes in addition to engine data downlink.

Welcome to our crazy little family here.  I too was a lurker for a while, but have been active here almost a year now.  My collection of TE has grown very slowly, but my shopping list of TE has expanded greatly.

My observation is that these engines are kept close to home, so to speak.  It appears the airlines are often locked into using the manufacturers maintenance and overhaul network and any repairs or changes go back to the designers.  So we are speculating on how much data is collected and how quickly the data gets retrieved and analyzed, but we are certain that there is data.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of it, and whether any improvements will be made.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:08:07 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83554 on: February 23, 2021, 07:10:42 am »
I hope they actually do make it worth the misery. You'll be the one-in-a-million. ;)

Spider man crunch ? Is that the equivalent to a spider shrivelling up when treating it with the acetylene torch ?
It's evil. You get down on all fours, on toe and fingertips, like Spider-Man walking up a wall. Then you bring your knee up to the back of you your elbow without falling over, alternating legs. Then you do another set left knee to right elbow, and alternate.

It's also literally one of the best exercises you can do for a thick gut and/or to tighten up stomach muscles to reinforce a injured back. As many as you can bear to do.

mnem
you are the burn...

Ah, similar to doing the plank with the mountain climbing option.  Definitely a good workout.  Do your best to keep balance by exercising the opposing muscles as well.  Crunches (hate 'em), push-ups and chin-ups are all good for you.

Don't go 100% the first time either.  Leave a bit of room to build up to more.  I think it is very important to make building up into a habit...  >:D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83555 on: February 23, 2021, 07:27:00 am »
@mnem ugly typo. It's 5 figures (bloody thick fingers) which is still excellent over here.
@tautech
@Brumby I suffered major spine injury when a VW Tuareg driver decided to rear end me. He said that he was not to blame, as I did not get out of his way  fast enough.
Yeah, right.
So this got me a very severe whiplash thingie that led to neurological damage to my left arm and my neck, left my legs paralyzed for a week, my arm paralyzed for a couple of years, and since this happened on the way from work, the state accident insurance kicked in and is currently paying me some disability pension.

However this incident left my neck extremely susceptible for any kind of blerk. So when I have the flu or some similar nasty bug that decided to give me sore muscles, my neck stiffens up in a way that makes any slight movement a 10 out of 10.

It's gotten better now, I can move my head again (which I could not on Friday)
So no need to shoot me yet.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83556 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:26 am »
For you guys who ordered that "A Torch" electronic load:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheezeball-dc-load-dl24p-pump-or-dump/new/

https://www.sevarg.net/2018/06/24/the-atorch-purple-fan-mosfet-destroyer/

The MOSFET destroyer is the same design as my current one apart from the downdraft fan to my inline one.

I set my lab supply to 40V/5A
Push it beyond 'Chinese' power spec for a start and it blew up the FET :palm: Even the specs for the current one at 200V and 20A maximum just because that is the peak specs of the FET which is clearly  :bullshit: Characterizing the device with increasing loads and how it behaves toward the stated 150W would be much more appropriate than just chucking a 40V input at it.

Some of the high frequency hash shown is maybe from his nameless power supply or poor scope technique.  :-//

But he reached HIS conclusion based what he wanted to find was the fault not looking elsewhere to what may have contributed. There is nothing written on what in his opinion is at fault with the design just that it must be 'because reasons'.

EDIT - Power Supply in question - wonder where the spikes came from  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:12:22 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83557 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:10 am »
@mnem ugly typo. It's 5 figures (bloody thick fingers) which is still excellent over here.
@tautech
@Brumby I suffered major spine injury when a VW Tuareg driver decided to rear end me. He said that he was not to blame, as I did not get out of his way  fast enough.
Yeah, right.
So this got me a very severe whiplash thingie that led to neurological damage to my left arm and my neck, left my legs paralyzed for a week, my arm paralyzed for a couple of years, and since this happened on the way from work, the state accident insurance kicked in and is currently paying me some disability pension.

However this incident left my neck extremely susceptible for any kind of blerk. So when I have the flu or some similar nasty bug that decided to give me sore muscles, my neck stiffens up in a way that makes any slight movement a 10 out of 10.

Oh so neither you or Brumby are outta the woods just yet so the wife has 2 bullets to polish which is great as she won't be polishing mine !  :phew:  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #83558 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:47 am »

I set my lab supply to 40V/5A
Push it beyond 'Chinese' power spec for a start and it blew up the FET :palm: Even the specs for the current one at 200V and 20A maximum just because that is the peak specs of the FET which is clearly  :bullshit: Characterizing the device with increasing loads and how it behaves toward the stated 150W would be much more appropriate than just chucking a 40V input at it.

Some of the high frequency hash shown is maybe from his nameless power supply or poor scope technique.  :-//

But he reached HIS conclusion based what he wanted to find was the fault not looking elsewhere to what may have contributed. There is nothing written on what in his opinion is at fault with the design just that it must be 'because reasons'.

Yes, after reading his blog entry, I wasn't too convinced of his knowledge and skills.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #83559 on: February 23, 2021, 08:17:45 am »
Oh so neither you or Brumby are outta the woods just yet so the wife has 2 bullets to polish which is great as she won't be polishing mine !  :phew:  :-DD
I'm feeling MUCH better!!  Really I am!!!!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83560 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:03 am »
@tautech
Yeah, right.

the least you can do is engrave the name on the bullet. ... :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83561 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:35 am »
Starting to rough out a case based on the current Load. Block form layout so I know what bits I need to fit inside the enclosure. Then tweak it when the new one gets in. One Beer and two brain cells died to create this in 10-15 minutes ;D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83562 on: February 23, 2021, 08:38:50 am »
Yeah but after 3 weeks doing shit all trying to get my back right my bullet was getting too damn shiny so the distraction for her was most welcome.  :phew:
The last few days getting progressively better and getting back onto tarting up the house has had her focussing on you and Saskia and I know from experience the threat of a well polished bullet has a faster effect on getting you well than any drug !  :-DD
GWS !

@tautech
Yeah, right.

the least you can do is engrave the name on the bullet. ... :-DD
Can do, Dremel or electric prick punch engraver ?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83563 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:06 am »
nice bonnet for our Tek-Smurf. And it is blue!  :-DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254492671252

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83564 on: February 23, 2021, 08:51:13 am »
Is that some form of religious headwear?  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83565 on: February 23, 2021, 08:58:51 am »
I think, mostly to impress Smurfette.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83566 on: February 23, 2021, 09:11:01 am »

Only because you are much better and it's in your neck of the woods :-DD eBay auction: #114699700885

Comes with a Battery option wonder how much secret sauce has made its way out in the last few decades  :scared:

Oh the Horror eBay auction: #184670959716  :palm:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:13:56 am by beanflying »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83567 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:00 am »
Is that some form of religious headwear?  :-DD

It's the reusable IKEA shopping bag. AKA "chav duffle bag". We have laundry in ours; strictly at home only. (The yellow ones are for use in-store, the blue ones you can buy and use to carry stuff home. )

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83568 on: February 23, 2021, 09:53:30 am »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83569 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:42 am »
EDIT - Power Supply in question - wonder where the spikes came from  :palm:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mastech-dc-power-supply-hy3005dx-cheap-and-very-impressing!/msg493821/#msg493821

Lord have mercy I am a sinner.

Looks like, that the pictures are gone in that posting of yours.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83570 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:58 am »
I know I was young with no experience. Honestly I could not care less... that PSU is a POS.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #83571 on: February 23, 2021, 10:39:57 am »
Only because you are much better and it's in your neck of the woods :-DD eBay auction: #114699700885

Comes with a Battery option wonder how much secret sauce has made its way out in the last few decades  :scared:

Like I need another DFM to repair.

(Now on my watch list. )

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83572 on: February 23, 2021, 11:21:36 am »

Like I need another DFM to repair.

(Now on my watch list. )

yuck!   POS alert!

hold out for a 5326 or 27.  or a 5316 even.  (5328's bored the shit outa' me so i gave away my whole stack....but they are much better counters)

EDIT   ...  never mind.  my mistake.   thought it was a 5314a.   should have taken a closer look before i stuck my foot in it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:25:32 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83573 on: February 23, 2021, 11:46:28 am »
nice bonnet for our Tek-Smurf. And it is blue!  :-DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254492671252

$22 USD to ship a plastic bag from Spain.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83574 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:23 am »
After 20 years of stewing in muh own juices, it'll be a long while before I hate winter.
mnem

You paint a gorgeous picture, :-DD, but its all true, I concur with that feeling, it isn't nice.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf