Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16697227 times)

factory, Vince, flash2b and 109 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82875 on: February 18, 2021, 08:42:49 am »
Now on my 4th antibiotic.
Staying overnight as the ultrasound department had shut for the evening - and they want to check there's nothing sinister hiding.

I should have brought my TinySA along.  Would have been interesting to see what was floating around here...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82876 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:59 am »
Staying overnight as the ultrasound department had shut for the evening - and they want to check there's nothing sinister hiding.

I should have brought my TinySA along.  Would have been interesting to see what was floating around here...

You only had one real job and I stirred it into your mind last time :palm: Geez concentrate on the important stuff  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82877 on: February 18, 2021, 08:55:52 am »

When we set up for the now cancelled EMEX one of the first instruments powered up was a real time SA with a 2.4 GHz whip and my was that spectrum busy and it was just setup day !  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82878 on: February 18, 2021, 09:23:57 am »
You only had one real job and I stirred it into your mind last time :palm: Geez concentrate on the important stuff  :-DD
:palm:
My bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:26:10 am by Brumby »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82879 on: February 18, 2021, 09:53:24 am »
My frustration comes from the fact that this is curable - it's just taking far longer than I would like.

When I had cellulitis after an operation, I took part in a medical experiment to see if recovery time could be shortened. I took the standard antibiotic (IIRC flucloxacillin) plus something else or a placebo.

Based on my response after 4 days and 1 week, I concluded either I had the placebo or it was ineffective. The study proved the latter :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82880 on: February 18, 2021, 10:06:05 am »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. A little old lady just mistook the gas for the brake and drove into the side of a building. Happens more often than you realize.  :P :-DD

Well, the result would be the same in a manual transmission if you hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. That said, I've hit the gas pedal instead of the brake in an automatic, with no consequences, but never in a manual. That suggests there's something about an auto that makes it more likely.

My thought on that is covered by the word "kickdown".  An automatic transmission will shoot for the best acceleration configuration, depending on vehicle speed and driver inputs.  A manual will just stay in the same gear no matter what - unless the driver explicitly does a gear shift.

THere's no doubt that in an auto it's probably going to end worse because of kickdown, but that doesn't address why it's more likely for people to stomp the accelerating pedal when going for the brake pedal in an auto. If indeed it is more likely - I think it is because I've never done it in a manual (80-90% of my driving hours) but have in an auto (10-20%. of my driving hours).
In reality, if any of these doubters care to physically look at the pedal arrangement of automatic transmission car against those of a manual transmission, they may actually concur that it is very unlikely to happen any more commonly than it does in a manual car.

The gas / accelerator pedal positions on both types of transmission are in the same positions, they do not move. The brake pedal on an automatic is usually at least double the width of that on a manual transmission and once again, the pedals are normally in the same position, so that means the gap between the brake and gas is often slightly smaller on an automatic car. Also, you will notice that the gas pedal is always at a lower level, so that means that a person has to slightly lift their right foot in order to move it left to cover the brake. The OP of this thread did state that it was predominantly old ladies, so it possibly means that they might have some trouble in doing so, which is a common trait as people age and remember, we all age.

I'm sure that those of us who are old enough to remember the days of cars having manual chokes to aid starting on a cold day, will remember that it was also very common for the elderly ladies to pull the choke knob out and hang their handbags on it. :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82881 on: February 18, 2021, 10:10:04 am »
when I have to switch from our manual (Octavia) to our automatic transmission (Jag, Ford, Volvo) I usually put my left leg out of the way in order not to stomp on the wrong pedal by mistake.

Switching from one to the other is no big deal under normal circumstances.

@Brumby get well soon. Hope they don't have to treat you for sepsis or necrotizing fascitis (that would be a major pain issue catastrophe

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82882 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:14 am »
I learned to drive on a manual gearbox so all I knew at the time was gas, clutch, brake. The first time I drove a car with an automatic I nearly put my head through the windshield. Without thinking when I came to a stop my left foot came up and smashed the wide brake pedal. Locked up the wheels.  :-DD

The CR-V is automatic and the Civic is manual. I can go seamlessly between the two without even thinking. The left foot goes on vacation when driving the CR-V.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82883 on: February 18, 2021, 10:37:04 am »
when I have to switch from our manual (Octavia) to our automatic transmission (Jag, Ford, Volvo) I usually put my left leg out of the way in order not to stomp on the wrong pedal by mistake.

Twice, when my left knee was in plaster, I've parked my left leg on the passenger seat.

It was quite fun asking the surgeon whether there was any reason I shouldn't drive. Only after a short pause did I say it was an automatic :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82884 on: February 18, 2021, 10:47:44 am »
I noticed that Amazon delivery folks are taking pictures of the package where they dropped it off, these days.

That is actually really helpful and all the courier companies should do that to prove that they delivered where they say they delivered.

I had a mis-delivery from Amazon and could clearly see in the picture that it was nowhere near where I live...  -  Full refund ensued, even though the item was flagged as "delivered".

Amazon refund or resend always. I’ve had stuff delivered to the wrong house and they send another item out instantly usually. If you’re lucky the person who unexpectedly finds the original package in their recycling box after three days will drop it off to your place. Has happened a couple of times here  :-DD

Which is why Jeff Bezos is the richest man on the planet. Or at least part of why

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82885 on: February 18, 2021, 10:56:21 am »
When I drove my first automatic the engine stalled at the first traffic light. It took me too many sweaty minutes to realize that you have to put it in neutral before you can start the engine again  :palm: :phew:
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82886 on: February 18, 2021, 10:57:53 am »
Likewise, I learned to drive on a manual but after years of driving in London as a Technical sales engineer and later as a specification engineer with the huge traffic jams, my left knee started to ache at the end of the day and also the clutch plate used to get so hot that by the end of the day in traffic the car became also impossible to pull away smoothly. The car would jump a lot, almost as if it was a learner driver at the wheel and after escaping the big smoke and hitting the open road again, the clutch cooled down and became normal again.

I did that for thirty-five years, and then I decided that upon being given just London area to look after full time, I asked for an automatic on my next car and all my knee issues went away after that. I have now been driving an auto for 12 years and I really enjoy it, but I suspect that had I not been stuck in London all day, Monday to Friday, then I'd have stuck with a manual box. That being said, I'll add this, as a person who has size 14 feet, most modern cars do not provide enough space in the footwell to accommodate such large feet on manual cars, and I was finding my feet getting slightly wedged under the adjacent pedal from to time, so that was a problem.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82887 on: February 18, 2021, 10:59:56 am »
When I drove my first automatic the engine stalled at the first traffic light. It took me too many sweaty minutes to realize that you have to put it in neutral before you can start the engine again  :palm: :phew:
There must have been a problem with the engine then for it to stall. I have never known an automatic to stall its engine ever, so from that point of view they were safer.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82888 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:09 am »
Here's a little known fact.....

American cars with a manual shift have a clutch interlock. The starter will not crank unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed, even with the transmission in neutral.

Now think about why that is arranged like that. The first right answer gets a cookie.  ;D

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #82889 on: February 18, 2021, 11:13:05 am »

American cars with a manual shift have a clutch interlock. The starter will not crank unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed, even with the transmission in neutral.

Now think about why that is arranged like that. The first right answer gets a cookie.  ;D

This "feature" has creeped to "modern" european cars, too.

Back then (pre 2000), one was advised to use the starter in emergency to move the car, e.g. from a railroad crossing in case the motor died and wouldn't start on cranking. Try this with a modern car ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82890 on: February 18, 2021, 11:14:00 am »

I would think it is to ensure that the car cannot be started in gear and it ensures that the person, be it a mechanic or whatever has to be sitting in the car and holding clutch peddle down before cranking the engine and therefore in a position to take proper control of car should anything go wrong.?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #82891 on: February 18, 2021, 11:14:31 am »
Keysight is doing another raffle (one can win TEA, like recent scope month) this year: https://kulive.keysight.com/?ref=8x0qeEC8fvGvk7vl

If you click (and sign up) on the link I've provided, you'd increase my entries ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82892 on: February 18, 2021, 11:16:06 am »

This "feature" has creeped to "modern" european cars, too.

Back then (pre 2000), one was advised to use the starter in emergency to move the car, e.g. from a railroad crossing in case the motor died and wouldn't start on cranking. Try this with a modern car ...

That is correct, these days the advice is to get of the car and sacrifice it to save yourself and passengers.
Who let Murphy in?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82893 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:45 am »
Keysight is doing another raffle (one can win TEA, like recent scope month) this year: https://kulive.keysight.com/?ref=8x0qeEC8fvGvk7vl

If you click (and sign up) on the link I've provided, you'd increase my entries ;)

Done.  :-+

Bunch of comedians there at Keysight.  :-DD  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82894 on: February 18, 2021, 11:31:43 am »
There must have been a problem with the engine then for it to stall. I have never known an automatic to stall its engine ever, so from that point of view they were safer.

You haven't driven many American cars from the 1970's and early 1980's, have you? Smog controls and carburetors. Stalling was all part of the fun.  |O

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82895 on: February 18, 2021, 11:39:48 am »

I would think it is to ensure that the car cannot be started in gear and it ensures that the person, be it a mechanic or whatever has to be sitting in the car and holding clutch peddle down before cranking the engine and therefore in a position to take proper control of car should anything go wrong.?

Sort of. Americans are so ingrained with driving automatics that the average Joe Dirt would get in the car, insert key, hit the starter and never touch the clutch. Now if he has his foot on the brake (not required, not interlocked on manual shift) or has the parking brake set properly the car should not leap forward. But if it does now the lawyers are involved. The car jumped forward and hit and killed neighbors kid.   ::) 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82896 on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:56 pm »
Random purchase. Decided to treat myself to another NanoVNA, this time a genuine one from Mirfield Electronics here who are an official reseller. No hooky ones any more  :-DD

Very good company. Pay via PayPal checkout. Arrived next day RM 1st class  :-+

https://www.mirfield-electronics.co.uk/

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82897 on: February 18, 2021, 12:07:36 pm »

My first car tended to drop into neutral - just after entering a junction and starting to pull away. Eeeek!

The engine oil became dirty, and the same oil was used for the automatic gearbox. Dirt confused the hydraulic logic :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82898 on: February 18, 2021, 12:49:16 pm »

You haven't driven many American cars from the 1970's and early 1980's, have you? Smog controls and carburetors. Stalling was all part of the fun.  |O
But thats just it, with an auto, there is no clutch, you have a fluid flywheel with a torque convertor so the drive train was connected via the fluid flywheel which would slip when the car was stationary in drive because there was no clutch. Thats just how they were designed to do, whereas a manual you had to press the clutch down to disconnect the drive train to prevent the engine from stalling. So with an automatic, if it stalls, there has to be a reason for it stalling as the oil in the flywheel / torque convertor forms the clutch and is only too willing to slip when the drive train is prevented from turning due the brakes for example being applied and thus preventing the wheels from being driven.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82899 on: February 18, 2021, 01:08:21 pm »
Random purchase. Decided to treat myself to another NanoVNA, this time a genuine one from Mirfield Electronics here who are an official reseller. No hooky ones any more  :-DD

Very good company. Pay via PayPal checkout. Arrived next day RM 1st class  :-+

https://www.mirfield-electronics.co.uk/

Has it got a CE mark on it? Does the power supply fit a 13A socket without an adaptor?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf