Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16699364 times)

factory, wkb, KG7AMV, tryode and 92 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82851 on: February 18, 2021, 12:30:01 am »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. A little old lady just mistook the gas for the brake and drove into the side of a building. Happens more often than you realize.  :P :-DD

Well, the result would be the same in a manual transmission if you hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. That said, I've hit the gas pedal instead of the brake in an automatic, with no consequences, but never in a manual. That suggests there's something about an auto that makes it more likely.

My thought on that is covered by the word "kickdown".  An automatic transmission will shoot for the best acceleration configuration, depending on vehicle speed and driver inputs.  A manual will just stay in the same gear no matter what - unless the driver explicitly does a gear shift.

THere's no doubt that in an auto it's probably going to end worse because of kickdown, but that doesn't address why it's more likely for people to stomp the accelerating pedal when going for the brake pedal in an auto. If indeed it is more likely - I think it is because I've never done it in a manual (80-90% of my driving hours) but have in an auto (10-20%. of my driving hours).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82852 on: February 18, 2021, 12:36:06 am »
Here's a bargain for Bean... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DICK-SMITH-ELECTRONICS-DIGITAL-FREQUENCY-COUNTER/184666951375   :-DD

Already saw that and didn't even bother sending your way  ;)

Bargain find of the morning eBay auction: #324465690179 Retail price 30 years ago was less  :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82853 on: February 18, 2021, 12:40:05 am »
Here's a bargain for Bean... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DICK-SMITH-ELECTRONICS-DIGITAL-FREQUENCY-COUNTER/184666951375   :-DD

It has an SO-239 (UHF) connector? Are you kidding?  ::) Is there a shortage of BNC Females in Oz?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82854 on: February 18, 2021, 12:45:05 am »

It has an SO-239 (UHF) connector? Are you kidding?  ::) Is there a shortage of BNC Females in Oz?  :P :-DD

Think Heathkit/DickSmith homebuilt on the inside too what could go wrong  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82855 on: February 18, 2021, 12:48:09 am »

OK, agreed. But at least Heath used a BNC.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82856 on: February 18, 2021, 01:16:33 am »
BTW.... I finally opened my package.

While doing all this teasing, you ought to consider how fast a man can move when he's clutching an IV bag and hopping on one leg. :)
I understand your sentiment - but I am in pain.

.... and I am so f@%$@@&*^^ing over it.

I've had cellulitis, it's not fun.

Pain's a funny thing. Not many people realise that there are three varieties of pain killers, ones like aspirin, paracetamol and the like that actually cut off pain at the source - they interfere with the signalling pathways so that the pain nerves never get a signal to send in the first places. Then there's depolarising anaesthetics like cocaine and lidocaine that actually interfere with the pain nerves ability to send a signal, effectively switching off electrical activity in the nerve. Then there's a whole class of drugs like the opioids and ketamine that alter the way you brain processes the pain - you still feel the pain, but you feel differently about the pain.

So, where am I going with this? I've got osteoarthritis in both knees, it showed up when I was comparatively young for the phenomenon. The most useful thing the doctors did for me was send me to see a physiotherapist and I lucked out with getting a really good one. His strategy was for me to do exercises to improve the support that all the surrounding muscles give to the knees. All fine and dandy in theory, but the problem was that doing the exercises was painful, very painful, more painful than just hobbling around with the osteoarthritis in the first place. The point he made was that although it hurt, the pain wasn't an indication that I was doing more damage and that if I persisted eventually the exercises would do their job and I'd feel less pain. He was right in that, but more importantly it taught me to think of the pain differently and strangely that different perception caused the pain to still be there but I felt different about it and that made it better.

When I started the physiotherapy I couldn't handle going down stairs without two handholds and taking it a single step at a time, slowly - perhaps 30-60 seconds for a short flight. Nowadays I'm still not running down stairs the way i used to, but I can walk down them reasonably normally without handholds. It still hurts, but it doesn't hurt in the way it used to and I'm able to largely ignore the pain.

We have endogenous opioids, we can make our own internal drugs that produce pain relief just the same way that morphine, opium, heroin and all their cousins do. They seem to get released almost consciously, when we choose to engage with the pain rather than avoid it. The aforementioned synthetic drugs reply on the existence of the receptors for endogenous opioids to be able to do their work. Airy-fairy that it might sound, you really can make a big difference to the way pain affects you by the way that you engage with it mentally. I think the mind-set to adopt is that you're bloody well going to fight the pain rather than let it get you down. It's not "manning up" and pretending the pain isn't there, no macho crap like that, but accepting the pain, once you do it doesn't seem so bad. It doesn't make it go away, but just makes it more bearable. My experience anyway.

Edit: Hah! You should be careful what you say. I just got up to go to the kitchen for a snack and for the first time in ages I was conscious of the crunching sound and the pain from my right knee as I stood up.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:25:42 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82857 on: February 18, 2021, 01:34:39 am »
My frustration comes from the fact that this is curable - it's just taking far longer than I would like.

It's also interesting to note the perception of time changes ....  It's been 10 days since the pain began - but it feels like it's been more than double that time.

I'll be over the moon the morning I can move from laying to sitting to standing and NOT feel like I'm running a cheese grater with razor blades down my leg.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82858 on: February 18, 2021, 01:35:50 am »
Missed this....  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thurlby-Thandar-TF830-Frequency-Counter-/184659555769

Would have been worth a shot - and very local.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82859 on: February 18, 2021, 02:31:58 am »
BTW.... I finally opened my package.

While doing all this teasing, you ought to consider how fast a man can move when he's clutching an IV bag and hopping on one leg. :)
I understand your sentiment - but I am in pain.

.... and I am so f@%$@@&*^^ing over it.

I've had cellulitis, it's not fun.

Pain's a funny thing. Not many people realise that there are three varieties of pain killers, ones like aspirin, paracetamol and the like that actually cut off pain at the source - they interfere with the signalling pathways so that the pain nerves never get a signal to send in the first places. Then there's depolarising anaesthetics like cocaine and lidocaine that actually interfere with the pain nerves ability to send a signal, effectively switching off electrical activity in the nerve. Then there's a whole class of drugs like the opioids and ketamine that alter the way you brain processes the pain - you still feel the pain, but you feel differently about the pain.

So, where am I going with this? I've got osteoarthritis in both knees, it showed up when I was comparatively young for the phenomenon. The most useful thing the doctors did for me was send me to see a physiotherapist and I lucked out with getting a really good one. His strategy was for me to do exercises to improve the support that all the surrounding muscles give to the knees. All fine and dandy in theory, but the problem was that doing the exercises was painful, very painful, more painful than just hobbling around with the osteoarthritis in the first place. The point he made was that although it hurt, the pain wasn't an indication that I was doing more damage and that if I persisted eventually the exercises would do their job and I'd feel less pain. He was right in that, but more importantly it taught me to think of the pain differently and strangely that different perception caused the pain to still be there but I felt different about it and that made it better.

When I started the physiotherapy I couldn't handle going down stairs without two handholds and taking it a single step at a time, slowly - perhaps 30-60 seconds for a short flight. Nowadays I'm still not running down stairs the way i used to, but I can walk down them reasonably normally without handholds. It still hurts, but it doesn't hurt in the way it used to and I'm able to largely ignore the pain.

We have endogenous opioids, we can make our own internal drugs that produce pain relief just the same way that morphine, opium, heroin and all their cousins do. They seem to get released almost consciously, when we choose to engage with the pain rather than avoid it. The aforementioned synthetic drugs reply on the existence of the receptors for endogenous opioids to be able to do their work. Airy-fairy that it might sound, you really can make a big difference to the way pain affects you by the way that you engage with it mentally. I think the mind-set to adopt is that you're bloody well going to fight the pain rather than let it get you down. It's not "manning up" and pretending the pain isn't there, no macho crap like that, but accepting the pain, once you do it doesn't seem so bad. It doesn't make it go away, but just makes it more bearable. My experience anyway.

Edit: Hah! You should be careful what you say. I just got up to go to the kitchen for a snack and for the first time in ages I was conscious of the crunching sound and the pain from my right knee as I stood up.  :-DD

Exactly this. I blew out my back when I was 28; doing stoopit shit dragging heavy shit around like I was 10 feet tall & bulletproof. Docs tried to sell me on spinal fusion; all but one. He echoed the advice of my long-time chiropractor; that fusion often just transferred the injury to the joints above & below. He suggested a laproscopic surgery to remove just a tiny bit of the extruded cartilage that was injuring my sciatic, and several steroid injections to decrease the swelling. He warned me that recovery would be long & painful, but that I would still be walking when I was his age, which he did not feel was likely with the fusion.

I spent 2 months after that bedridden; popping Motrin 800s and several different opiates like M&Ms, with one month literally crawling on hands & knees to go to the bathroom.

In the intervening years, I've had 2 relapses... both times when I did a lot more than I should have... and spend a month or more similarly incapacitated. And then of course you all know aboot my recent fall down the stairs.

Every time, you get reacquainted with your pain... you roll it around in your mouth, feel it, taste it... make it part of you. And every time it's different.

But it is always there. You can either let it stop you, or you can let it drive you.

Well, here I am older than that doc was when he warned me off of that operation... and I'm still standing.

mnem
"Pain is an old friend."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82860 on: February 18, 2021, 02:40:04 am »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. ...  :P :-DD
Well, the result would be the same in a manual transmission if you hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. ...That suggests there's something about an auto that makes it more likely.[/size]
... A manual will just stay in the same gear no matter what - unless the driver explicitly does a gear shift.
... - I think it is because I've never done it in a manual (80-90% of my driving hours) but have in an auto (10-20%. of my driving hours).
In a manual transmission vehicle, when we are are braking to a stop; We will eventually be depressing the clutch pedal. If we are braking in an emergency we will be depressing the clutch pedal at the same time as we are depressing the brake pedal. All of this is done without even thinking about. When we are driving a manual transmission vehicle; We know were our feet are.

Really bad driver are probably more likely to be driving an automatic transmission vehicle because they know that managing the clutch and transmission lever is way too much for them. They probably don't know were their feet are either.

:)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82861 on: February 18, 2021, 03:18:50 am »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. ...  :P :-DD
Well, the result would be the same in a manual transmission if you hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. ...That suggests there's something about an auto that makes it more likely.[/size]
... A manual will just stay in the same gear no matter what - unless the driver explicitly does a gear shift.
... - I think it is because I've never done it in a manual (80-90% of my driving hours) but have in an auto (10-20%. of my driving hours).
In a manual transmission vehicle, when we are are braking to a stop; We will eventually be depressing the clutch pedal. If we are braking in an emergency we will be depressing the clutch pedal at the same time as we are depressing the brake pedal. All of this is done without even thinking about. When we are driving a manual transmission vehicle; We know were our feet are.

Really bad driver are probably more likely to be driving an automatic transmission vehicle because they know that managing the clutch and transmission lever is way too much for them. They probably don't know were their feet are either.

:)

At least they know where their hands are...   manipulating their phone!  :D

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82862 on: February 18, 2021, 03:52:20 am »
Just had a review from the doctor.  Not responding to treatment like normal people.  Pain is excessive.  Concerned it might be more than cellulitis

Off to hospital for me.  Oh yay.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:54:27 am by Brumby »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82863 on: February 18, 2021, 03:58:13 am »
GWS and I won't let my wife know or she'll start polishing a bullet for you !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82864 on: February 18, 2021, 04:17:25 am »

Probably more professional than MFJ!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82865 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:34 am »
Just had a review from the doctor.  Not responding to treatment like normal people.  Pain is excessive.  Concerned it might be more than cellulitis

:--

On a brighter note mistitled TEA in Germany eBay auction: #224352314348

and here is a 'spare' plugin to suit eBay auction: #224352316055

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:24:02 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82866 on: February 18, 2021, 04:28:05 am »

Oh dear. I hope it's not some MRSA or similar infection.

Best to you, my friend.

mnem
Doctors, fix my friend; he's broken!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82867 on: February 18, 2021, 06:35:48 am »

Drool! ;D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82868 on: February 18, 2021, 06:36:30 am »

No, I don't think so. The main reason for trying to abolish cash is to completely remove control of one's money from the masses. We've already gotten to the point where one's credit rating directly affects their quality of life; no matter how much you're willing to pay, and no matter how good your payment history is, you can't rent or buy a decent home if you don't have a long history of constantly using all forms of credit and letting them dip their beaks. Pay cash for everything and you will have either bad credit or worse, unknown/no credit. That also directly affects your ability to buy a car and even buy health insurance. Being a responsible adult and not buying things you can't afford is a liability in this age.

EDIT: And it is even generational now. Your parents' credit rating directly affects which school you can go to; no matter how good your scores or how many scholarships you may earn.

You are describing another continent than the one I'm living on. I was mostly debt-free when we bought our house. Yes, I had a credit card (the kind where you always pay what's due 15 days after the invoice has been created) and I had student loans which at that time were very protected, not as protected as they had been, but more protected than they are now. ("protected" means that the repayment rate is tied to your income and quite limited) and we had no problems getting a loan. Of course the bank asked the debt default clearing house if we had any historical problems, but there, clean sheet is the best answer one can get. And we had to be employed.

Your problem is the econo-military-industrial complex sans meaningful regulation. I wonder whether the census and re-districting process changes coming in your former home country will lead to a better political representation of the actual population, replacing the "people in rural areas have improportional power" model to some extent.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82869 on: February 18, 2021, 07:14:42 am »
Mobile signal strength in the new ED is pretty good.

Allowed me to miss out on that Leader DFM by less than $3.  Can't complain. I always set a limit and snipe in the last few seconds so I don't get tempted....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82870 on: February 18, 2021, 07:44:55 am »

What's mistitled about it? In the first auction they are only selling the 182T Display. The other auction is the SA plugin.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82871 on: February 18, 2021, 07:48:30 am »
I blame my very very rusty German translation non skills. I read it as included. If that is the case really strange to split them  :-//

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82872 on: February 18, 2021, 07:54:25 am »
I blame my very very rusty German translation non skills. I read it as included. If that is the case really strange to split them  :-//

I'm always suspicious when the seller says he doesn't know enough about the device to tell if it's working, but does seem to know enough to disassemble it and sell them separately.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82873 on: February 18, 2021, 08:03:26 am »
Mobile signal strength in the new ED is pretty good.

Allowed me to miss out on that Leader DFM by less than $3.  Can't complain. I always set a limit and snipe in the last few seconds so I don't get tempted....
They got you on the good stuff already ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #82874 on: February 18, 2021, 08:07:44 am »

I'm always suspicious when the seller says he doesn't know enough about the device to tell if it's working, but does seem to know enough to disassemble it and sell them separately.

McBryce.

Yes, IMO they try to make more money by selling two items. I've known a seller who did this for model aircraft stuff (e.g. selling the model and the motor separately). I don't by from such sellers.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf