Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16729876 times)

Vgkid, Vince, morris6 and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81675 on: February 05, 2021, 07:56:06 pm »
Didn't even take the Ramco Lot number label off!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marconi-6200B-Microwave-Test-set-10MHz-20GHz-With-Shipping-Case/174625214300?

If you look at that seller’s sold list he’s not shifted any high rolling items yet. Well out of depth  :-DD

Ebay UK TEA search broken?
When I do a blank search in Test, Measurement & Inspection Equipment on ebay UK it takes me to ebay.com  :-//
Happpens with new or saved searches and different browsers.
Anyone else seeing this?

Been having the same issue on ebay.com.au too for the last week or so but not on test gear. So I suspect something is a bit broken and not your account/cookies etc.

eBay QA has gone to shit recently. There’s a bug in the iOS app as well which randomly causes it to lock up solid when you do a search resulting in having to kill and reopen the damn thing. I’ve given up on the web site for searching as they keep screwing it up entirely.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81676 on: February 05, 2021, 08:35:52 pm »

Ever since the sales/marketing departments discovered they can manipulate search results, search has been broken on most sites.

I heard a story that Google was forced to implement the "Verbatim" mode after getting a ton of complaints from people about returning search results that do not contain the search terms they had typed...

eBay search used to be really good back in the day, supporting wildcard characters and everything...   Now you are lucky to find what you're looking for.  Don't get me started on Amazon search...   search for a 4TB hard drive, and you still have to scrutinize each listing as every hard drive under the sun is returned, irrespective of any mention of 4TB...

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Brumby, BU508A, scl, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81677 on: February 05, 2021, 08:37:40 pm »
I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007.

It's the same place that I bought the Fluke 8505A last year.

I think I may becoming an hp fan boy.  :-DD

Ooh nice one. They’re really nice meters. Would like one myself  :-DD

didn't some of the 3456's have fans? (and some did not?)   my 3455a has one.

no problem either way since med can just stick one on.

Early version of the 3456a had a fan like the 3455a. Was later removed by moving the power transistor at the back on the case.

Version with fan:

Later revision with no fan:

I was planning to remove the fan on mine and relocate the transistor.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:40:07 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81678 on: February 05, 2021, 08:39:28 pm »
I shall look out for a quiet one!  :-DD

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81679 on: February 05, 2021, 08:43:00 pm »
I shall look out for a quiet one!  :-DD

Hp was selling a conversion kit at some point. My guess is that it was simply some wires and a aluminum plate that fit the hole in the back.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81680 on: February 05, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »
Quite possible. Wonder if they had an engineering change note that covered it. If you can do the conversion trivially then it would be interesting.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81681 on: February 05, 2021, 08:53:03 pm »
Quite possible. Wonder if they had an engineering change note that covered it. If you can do the conversion trivially then it would be interesting.

They had a note about that apparently. Was never able to find it unfortunately. I have a model with the fan and looked at a lot of pictures of the model with no fan and the only difference is the power supply where the transistor was moved at the back and the fan removed.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81682 on: February 05, 2021, 09:04:29 pm »
I just checked. The 3456A I'm getting has the transistor in back therefore no fan.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81683 on: February 05, 2021, 09:16:56 pm »
@AVG sorry, low on funds after NVIDIA/EVGA milked me for more than 2 grands ... |O

They didn't "milk you", you chose to buy their products. :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81684 on: February 05, 2021, 09:17:45 pm »
I just checked. The 3456A I'm getting has the transistor in back therefore no fan.  :-+

Disappointing for us some of us would look forward to another 'special' fan mod from you :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81685 on: February 05, 2021, 09:20:21 pm »
We can look forward to the blue paint job still though  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81686 on: February 05, 2021, 09:23:04 pm »
We can look forward to the blue paint job still though  :-DD

Nope, if it needs paint I already have a shade of grey that I used on the hp nixie counters.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81687 on: February 05, 2021, 09:24:29 pm »

Disappointing for us some of us would look forward to another 'special' fan mod from you :-DD

Stop reminding everyone or else I'll be forced to post the picture again...and again....and again.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81688 on: February 05, 2021, 10:06:58 pm »

Bring it, ya blue-arsed bitch!!!

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81689 on: February 05, 2021, 10:07:39 pm »
Ahh finally a T12 handle that works  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81690 on: February 05, 2021, 10:29:21 pm »

mnem
*still nuking bluetooth... but an end is in sight...*

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:25:37 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81691 on: February 05, 2021, 10:51:54 pm »

I think the description for this could be... better..:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Mod-Radiation-Source-1/324471944097

I've been eyeing those on ebay and the Ramco auctions but haven't seen one cheap enough. Put a lowball offer on that one and it was accepted. I'm pretty sure they are Infrared sources used for testing missile detection sustems on aircraft. I've not been able to find much out about them though. The Nato Stock Number tell me it was codified in Germany and is thermal test equipment. the associated CAGE code is for Land Instruments International Ltd, now part of Ametek. The thing that puzzles me is that the IR output window is not obvious. It might be the small end with th black plug in it, but that looks more like fixture for mounting it on a post or tripod. The body seems to have a thick rubber sleeve, maybe that slides back. The big end has a multipole connector.
If it is a missile simulator surce it should be modulated. I could be a halogen lamp and motorised shutter, modern ones use lasers.
I'll do a teardown when I get it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81692 on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:28 pm »
I think Tautech will like this one.

https://www.gunboard.de/uploads/monthly_2021_02/IMG_5996.MP4.1b8d7bd8607aafba7c4fc3d1428e1ed3.MP4
LOL but no as for my big 800mm tractor powered saw we need to dig the sawdust out from underneath it with a shovel. Was gunna build a sawdust drag out chain for it years ago but never got around to it.
It's actually a fence batten mill and can dissect logs to ~600mm but only in short lengths as its travelling bed only moves ~1500mm. Made 10's of thousands of battens with it over the years from trees with short ugly logs of no commercial value.
The handheld one is only 450mm, and $10k NZD (!!): https://youtu.be/E62P-auonrA?t=177 (probably good it's not a video of the guy's ute full of hand tools - I know my wallet would be lighter if I ran into Gaston in Auckland).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81693 on: February 05, 2021, 11:18:16 pm »

I think the description for this could be... better..:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Mod-Radiation-Source-1/324471944097

I've been eyeing those on ebay and the Ramco auctions but haven't seen one cheap enough. Put a lowball offer on that one and it was accepted. I'm pretty sure they are Infrared sources used for testing missile detection sustems on aircraft. I've not been able to find much out about them though. The Nato Stock Number tell me it was codified in Germany and is thermal test equipment. the associated CAGE code is for Land Instruments International Ltd, now part of Ametek. The thing that puzzles me is that the IR output window is not obvious. It might be the small end with th black plug in it, but that looks more like fixture for mounting it on a post or tripod. The body seems to have a thick rubber sleeve, maybe that slides back. The big end has a multipole connector.
If it is a missile simulator surce it should be modulated. I could be a halogen lamp and motorised shutter, modern ones use lasers.
I'll do a teardown when I get it.

Interesting. Might be a calibrated IR source. Looks like Ametek seem to sell a lot of measurement stuff in the IR space. . Either way will be a good tear down.

Having actually been fairly close to the IR illumination stuff for things that go boom, the sources usually have a fairly large window on the front, a lot of electronics and a lot of optics but are tripod mounted. But it’s 1987 date coded which is before my time on that so who knows  :-DD. That is Rapier FSB2 era though. Any other hints relating to where it came from via other things in the lot?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81694 on: February 06, 2021, 12:58:51 am »
He listed a lot of Tornado instruments and switchgear etc at the same time, no variant details though, obviously.

I do wonder how many govmint web crawlers were triggered off his description... would have been smarter to list it as an IR source, though I suspect it will have been "demilitarised".
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81695 on: February 06, 2021, 01:27:27 am »

mnem
*still nuking bluetooth... but an end is in sight...*

Freaking PAM8403 class-D amplifier is a little PITA; very finicky aboot capacitive loads and any real deviation from the design 4-8Ω dynamic speaker load. Mine was a simple solution, but a bit wasteful. meh. :-// Works good enough to move to long-term usage testing; if it keeps working, will print up an enclosure and make it "a thing".

mnem
*couch tuber time widda boi*

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #81696 on: February 06, 2021, 03:33:36 am »
I think Tautech will like this one.

https://www.gunboard.de/uploads/monthly_2021_02/IMG_5996.MP4.1b8d7bd8607aafba7c4fc3d1428e1ed3.MP4

What a day. I overslept. Hubby forgot my birthday. The active probe arrived (thanks a lot, Robert !) and a quick function test gives me a square wave at the calibration contacts of the scope.
Bought some ridiculously overpriced PC card.

*sigh*

Happy birthday!  I hope that ridiculously overpriced PC card was a birthday gift to yourself?

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81697 on: February 06, 2021, 04:07:13 am »
Hippo Bathday, Saskia!

mnem
*still technically today... at least in the GWN* :-[

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81698 on: February 06, 2021, 05:21:33 am »
The PC card is an EVGA RTX 3090 that I want to use for deep learning experiments and to run cuda based stuff.
Obviously it will be written off my taxes and I will also get the extended warranty to prolong its life.

I would not have bought it if I did not earn my  living with this kind of stuff ....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81699 on: February 06, 2021, 05:29:12 am »
Yeah, yeah, yeah... So how are you gonna write off the Valve INDEX and STEAM VR Library...? :-DD

mnem
No, seriously. I wanna know how... >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf