Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16730015 times)

Vince, morris6 and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81650 on: February 05, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »
I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007.

It's the same place that I bought the Fluke 8505A last year.

I think I may becoming an hp fan boy.  :-DD

Ooh nice one. They’re really nice meters. Would like one myself  :-DD

didn't some of the 3456's have fans? (and some did not?)   my 3455a has one.

no problem either way since med can just stick one on.
free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81651 on: February 05, 2021, 02:38:25 pm »

No doubt at the same time that he rattle cans the covers blue.  :scared:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81652 on: February 05, 2021, 02:42:56 pm »
Oh deary me, I'm not having much luck with Amazon of late. My AD584-M from eBay decided to fry some Tants and resistors, so I thought I'd get a really good one with the calibration certificate stuck on the back, this time from Amazon. Ordered it yesterday, arrived about 40 minutes ago, opened it up, Boom, no calibration sticker.

Just been speaking to Amazon customer service again, and its going back later today as a suspect fake unit. I ordered what was supposed to be a KKmoon one with calibration sticker on, about 3 times the price of the eBay ones, so I thought, I'd got a genuine one. What in blue blazes is happening today, does no-one actually care any more or feel guilty about what they are doing :palm:

This is what I got

This is what I ordered
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81653 on: February 05, 2021, 02:43:09 pm »
* BU508A is watching Papa Smurf wandering on the path of the volt-nuts ...     :-DD

I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007.

Very nice one.  :-+ When you are checking for the caps, check also the crystal if it is the correct one for 60Hz.

Here you can find additional information:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/modyfing-50hz-to-60hz-hp-3456a/

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's a US model so it should already have the correct crystal but I'll check.

My immediate issue is where the hell am I gonna put it?  :palm: I have a potential location but some reinforcement may be required. Yes, Bd.....it's coming to that. You may want to update your bet.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81654 on: February 05, 2021, 02:46:30 pm »

I believe it does indeed have a fan so if it's like the other hp fans it's going to be as annoying as hell.  :scared: :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81655 on: February 05, 2021, 02:48:11 pm »

No doubt at the same time that he rattle cans the covers blue.  :scared:

Nope, if it needs paint I already have a can of grey which closely matches the original hp paint and I used it on the 2 nixie counters.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81656 on: February 05, 2021, 02:49:27 pm »

I believe it does indeed have a fan so if it's like the other hp fans it's going to be as annoying as hell.  :scared: :-DD
If it has a fan, don't worry about bd copying you, he hates fans  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81657 on: February 05, 2021, 02:50:28 pm »
Oh deary me, I'm not having much luck with Amazon of late. My AD584-M from eBay decided to fry some Tants and resistors, so I thought I'd get a really good one with the calibration certificate stuck on the back, this time from Amazon. Ordered it yesterday, arrived about 40 minutes ago, opened it up, Boom, no calibration sticker.

Just been speaking to Amazon customer service again, and its going back later today as a suspect fake unit. I ordered what was supposed to be a KKmoon one with calibration sticker on, about 3 times the price of the eBay ones, so I thought, I'd got a genuine one. What in blue blazes is happening today, does no-one actually care any more or feel guilty about what they are doing :palm:

This is what I got

This is what I ordered

I have 2 of genuine KKmoon units with the cal stickers. Purchased from Amazon. So you probably did get fakes.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #81658 on: February 05, 2021, 03:20:59 pm »

Oh, that's where the 6237b I got yesterday came from, too. I was satisfied, generally, with the packaging. Good, sturdy carton, sufficient bubble wrap. 

There's still one 3456 left, for the rest of you. Me, I've got my mind on a 3478. But not now.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81659 on: February 05, 2021, 03:23:09 pm »
Wow, the 3456A already has a UPS tracking number. If UPS picks it up today I should have it Monday. It's coming from Long Island which is only 120 miles away.  :-+

I better get busy on the 485 Larry project. It's currently scattered across both benches.  :o :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81660 on: February 05, 2021, 03:26:51 pm »
* BU508A is watching Papa Smurf wandering on the path of the volt-nuts ...     :-DD

Very nice one.  :-+ When you are checking for the caps, check also the crystal if it is the correct one for 60Hz.

Here you can find additional information:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/modyfing-50hz-to-60hz-hp-3456a/

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's a US model so it should already have the correct crystal but I'll check.

My immediate issue is where the hell am I gonna put it?  :palm: I have a potential location but some reinforcement may be required. Yes, Bd.....it's coming to that. You may want to update your bet.  :P :-DD

Little teardown of my 3456A:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2564226/#msg2564226

Crystal confusion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2564934/#msg2564934

Follow up:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2566095/#msg2566095
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81661 on: February 05, 2021, 03:34:58 pm »

This is what I got

This is what I ordered

I have 2 of genuine KKmoon units with the cal stickers. Purchased from Amazon. So you probably did get fakes.
Yeah, customer services have already instigated the freezing of that sellers other units for inspection. It seems that Amazon do actually care about the selling of counterfeit gear on their platform, especially when they themselves are fulfilling the order on the sellers' behalf.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #81662 on: February 05, 2021, 03:35:48 pm »
Wow, the 3456A already has a UPS tracking number. If UPS picks it up today I should have it Monday. It's coming from Long Island which is only 120 miles away.  :-+

I better get busy on the 485 Larry project. It's currently scattered across both benches.  :o :-DD

DHL has my TME order, with Kemets for the 6237, among others. They project Monday, too.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81663 on: February 05, 2021, 04:46:26 pm »
   I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007. It's the same place that I bought the Fluke 8505A last year.

Ooh nice one. They’re really nice meters. Would like one myself  :-DD

no problem either way since med can just stick chainsaw one on.

There, FYFY...  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily* >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81664 on: February 05, 2021, 05:04:04 pm »

This is what I got      This is what I ordered   

Yeah, customer services have already instigated the freezing of that sellers other units for inspection. It seems that Amazon do actually care about the selling of counterfeit gear on their platform, especially when they themselves are fulfilling the order on the sellers' behalf.

I dunno that I'd consider KKMoon any kind of a "brand". They slap their name on all the cheapest China-direct crap out there, and I know from experience (I've been buying their goods ever since I started down all the little whirry flying things rabbit-hole) that they do not give a flying fuck (or, in my application, a not-flying fuck :P) which of many shithole factories it may come out of, as long as they supply at the right price in time for the next containerload to go out.

In short... I have no doubt there is a good likelihood your product came from an "authorized" KKMoon distributor through their own channels. I have been amazed by the level of quality associated with that brand many times for over a decade; both on the positive swing of the wave and the negative. :palm:

They are the epitome of China-direct electronics: There is potential to get amazing bang/buck; however there is also the chance you'll get utter crap, and the only rhyme or reason that seems to obtain is supply & demand vs shipping schedules.  :-//

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81665 on: February 05, 2021, 05:06:36 pm »
I think Tautech will like this one.

https://www.gunboard.de/uploads/monthly_2021_02/IMG_5996.MP4.1b8d7bd8607aafba7c4fc3d1428e1ed3.MP4

What a day. I overslept. Hubby forgot my birthday. The active probe arrived (thanks a lot, Robert !) and a quick function test gives me a square wave at the calibration contacts of the scope.
Bought some ridiculously overpriced PC card.

*sigh*

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, tautech, Brumby, Mortymore

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81666 on: February 05, 2021, 05:24:33 pm »
Happy birthday!!

Actually just put an offer on some completely dead test gear. Not a high rolling offer for sure and not even a particularly good item but worth a bash  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, factory, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81668 on: February 05, 2021, 06:18:58 pm »
Back on the 485 Larry project.....

The Timing Switch board has been installed along with the top plate. Everything went pretty smooth except syncing up the A and B timing knobs. It's not syncing up properly so for the time being essentially disabled the B sweep. I'll have to compare it later with Moe which works properly. With respect to interconnects. Not once did I have to fire up the Hakko to unsolder anything. The 485 is truly modular and there's no wild ass undocumented bodge wires like found on other 400 series scopes.

But.....here's where Tek engineering goes off the rails. The top plate removes with screws EXCEPT at the rear on both sides. On Curly there was one screw and 2 spot welds per side. On Larry there was no screw, but the hole was drilled, and FOUR spot welds per side. There is no way you can remove the Timing Switch board unless you drill out the welds. And note, that board has the fan motor on it. At some point that motor will need service. Why it was done this way makes no sense to me. So now have this ugly mess in the rear on both sides. Luckily you won't see it once the cover is installed.   

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81669 on: February 05, 2021, 07:10:05 pm »
I find that highly suspect...   

mnem
*nuking bluetooth*

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81670 on: February 05, 2021, 07:20:49 pm »
Ebay UK TEA search broken?
When I do a blank search in Test, Measurement & Inspection Equipment on ebay UK it takes me to ebay.com  :-//
Happpens with new or saved searches and different browsers.
Anyone else seeing this?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81671 on: February 05, 2021, 07:24:30 pm »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81672 on: February 05, 2021, 07:30:56 pm »
Ebay UK TEA search broken?
When I do a blank search in Test, Measurement & Inspection Equipment on ebay UK it takes me to ebay.com  :-//
Happpens with new or saved searches and different browsers.
Anyone else seeing this?

Been having the same issue on ebay.com.au too for the last week or so but not on test gear. So I suspect something is a bit broken and not your account/cookies etc.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81673 on: February 05, 2021, 07:36:02 pm »
@AVG sorry, low on funds after NVIDIA/EVGA milked me for more than 2 grands ... |O

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81674 on: February 05, 2021, 07:48:27 pm »
I think Tautech will like this one.

https://www.gunboard.de/uploads/monthly_2021_02/IMG_5996.MP4.1b8d7bd8607aafba7c4fc3d1428e1ed3.MP4
LOL but no as for my big 800mm tractor powered saw we need to dig the sawdust out from underneath it with a shovel. Was gunna build a sawdust drag out chain for it years ago but never got around to it.
It's actually a fence batten mill and can dissect logs to ~600mm but only in short lengths as its travelling bed only moves ~1500mm. Made 10's of thousands of battens with it over the years from trees with short ugly logs of no commercial value.

What a day. I overslept. Hubby forgot my birthday.
*sigh*
Many Happy Returns !

Only done that once and I was more annoyed at not remembering than her indoors was.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:38:52 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf