Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16739289 times)

Henrik_V and 125 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81100 on: January 30, 2021, 10:44:20 am »
Err, no, I can't see any such link in your post at all  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81101 on: January 30, 2021, 10:48:52 am »
I wouldn’t want to stop too quick with that load  :-DD

Think of it as a humane killer, cf how you are supposed to kill lobsters/crabs with a pick.

Alternatively, remember that the "shared space" road enthusiasts (who remove signs and kerbs etc) trumpet the mantra that "very dangerous is safe".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81102 on: January 30, 2021, 11:15:10 am »
Why not is only a slightly crusty Anchor  ;)

Seems I added one to my lot eBay auction: #133645371427 I hold no real hopes for it. Worst case is is an expensive Fluke Box ;) Might be some hope it is some Black wire cancer under the hood.

The IR link cable and software added to the case make it at least break even

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81103 on: January 30, 2021, 11:15:47 am »
This is a pretty awesome 4x4 bus, it would make the basis of a wonderful camper as well.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81104 on: January 30, 2021, 11:17:40 am »
Oh great another eBay fucknugget.

So buys a motherboard off me for £10 off the price, I ship it UPS 24 which is better then the specified 2 days dispatch followed by “packlink generic 2-3 days”. UPS has taken one extra day so far and he’s opened a case against me because he couldn’t build a PC with his son this weekend. Boo fucking hoo. You’re getting a second hand motherboard via economy delivery which I upgraded FOC from a private seller and are complaining. Cunt.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81105 on: January 30, 2021, 11:21:34 am »
I've always Fancied a 101" FC Radio Body
Immediately made me think of Terrängbil 11, or as its known globally, Volvo C303:

How about something with ground clearance due to interesting axles: the UniMog...

The C303 has portal axles, just like the Unimog (it's in the Wikipedia article I linked  :-DD ):

The C3 series feature portal axles with locking differentials resulting in very high ground-clearance (similar to the Unimog) and outstanding performance offroad.

As does the Pinzgauer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High-Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81106 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:03 am »

So buys a motherboard off me for £10 off the price, I ship it UPS 24 which is better then the specified 2 days dispatch followed by “packlink generic 2-3 days”. UPS has taken one extra day so far and he’s opened a case against me because he couldn’t build a PC with his son this weekend. Boo fucking hoo. You’re getting a second hand motherboard via economy delivery which I upgraded FOC from a private seller and are complaining. Cunt.

fleabay need to add a filter so you can exclude entitled millennials from buying your stuff.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81108 on: January 30, 2021, 11:29:46 am »
For those that don't know, a portal axle has a pinion and gear wheel in the hub. Advantages are high ground clearance, lightweight (high speed, low torque) driveshfts and differentials and high wheel torque. Disadvantages are high unsprung weight, high center of gravity, mechanical complication, high mechanical losses, high maintence costs. Great for off-road, no great for high speeds. or fuel consumption.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81109 on: January 30, 2021, 11:29:53 am »
Who pissed in your cornflakes then  >:D :-DD

Has your Cavalier even got ABS on it? Mine didn't. If any of the things on my car packed up, I'd still be able to drive and handle it, when I did my apprenticeship on the buses, it was company policy that anyone who would ever have to drive a bus for what ever reason, had to go through their driving school for training. When it was time, I had to go out for a day with a load of other trainees who were being trained to be full time PSV holding bus drivers. They all took a turn in the driver's seat of a double-decker while I sat and waited. We pulled into Braintree depot and had lunch, after which the instructor said it was my turn in the seat and I got to drive back from Braintree to Chelmsford depot in the snow. The instructor went straight to my mechanical superintendent and asked him what was the big idea of sending me over to the driving school, he said that he had never seen driving skills like it and that I from that point on cleared to drive  ^-^. When there was a broken down bus and the mechanics were already out in the breakdown truck, I'd get sent out with a replacement bus so that the driver could transfer his passengers to it and continue the journey. I'd have to effect whatever repairs were needed to get the broken bus driveable and limp it back to the depot. I never failed to get back unaided. :-+

The Vauxhall Cavalier I owned in the late '80s indeed predated ABS.

And you are only proving my point; you were taught how to drive without all the modern crap, as was I. Consequently we do know how to react when things go wrong. Modern drivers, for the most part do not, and frequently only find out that fact at speeds we would have struggled to reach in similar conditions, in the vehicles of the day.

Ditto. And you would be surprised how many Americans, even folks my age, have absolutely no clue how to drive a manual gearbox. Present a typical driver with a vehicle with 3 pedals and it's total panic. Automatic transmissions really started to take over in the 1960's and many folks never had to drive a stick and never learned.

My father was "old fashioned" and all his vehicles were manual gearbox. So it was either learn how to drive it or walk. I learned and initially I hated it and wanted a car with an automatic but found out in due time that automatics were unreliable and not much fun to drive.

So...fast forward to today. There's only a select few cars in the American market that offer a manual transmission. The Civic still does. And if I happen to have someone in the passenger seat who never learned they are fascinated watching me row the gears but also remark that they want nothing to do with it. Can't drink coffee and eat a donut if you have to change gears.  :palm:

And....no one EVER asks to borrow your car.  :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #81110 on: January 30, 2021, 11:34:13 am »
Something for German voltnuts:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fluke-5200a-ac-kalibrator-5105b-dmm-5215a/1648283804-168-8132

This combo has been seen here before, can't remember ATM where. Wonder if someone bought it from ebay and tries to re-sell.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81111 on: January 30, 2021, 11:35:12 am »
Something for German voltnuts:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fluke-5200a-ac-kalibrator-5105b-dmm-5215a/1648283804-168-8132

Forklift both ends and reinforced floor needed :-DD Not sure about the 5105B (haven't looked) but the 5102B I have is really only good for 4 1/2 toward maybe 5 1/2 digit gear.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81112 on: January 30, 2021, 11:47:37 am »
So I fall back to sleep and wake up about 2 hours later and here she is, sitting in the chair doing her knitting and watching Law and Order - UK. I don't get this fascination with British TV.  :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81113 on: January 30, 2021, 11:48:21 am »

fleabay need to add a filter so you can exclude entitled millennials from buying your stuff.

If only!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81114 on: January 30, 2021, 11:52:47 am »
So I fall back to sleep and wake up about 2 hours later and here she is, sitting in the chair doing her knitting and watching Law and Order - UK. I don't get this fascination with British TV.  :P :-DD

Trust me it can get a whole lot worse. My Ex Red Headed Pom developed a horrible addiction to Aussie trash soaps prior to arriving from Lincoln. 1 1/2 hours 5 nights a week of dribble with religious like fervor as Australia was supposed to be just like that IRL. Failed to heed the warning bells in my brain way to long :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81115 on: January 30, 2021, 12:00:52 pm »

Trust me it can get a whole lot worse. My Ex Red Headed Pom developed a horrible addiction to Aussie trash soaps prior to arriving from Lincoln. 1 1/2 hours 5 nights a week of dribble with religious like fervor as Australia was supposed to be just like that IRL. Failed to heed the warning bells in my brain way to long :palm:

Oh I hear you. My Puerto Rican ex used to watch those Spanish "novellas" or soap operas and I couldn't understand a word of it. But it did have a lot of damn fine looking babes running around acting stupid.  :P :-DD 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81116 on: January 30, 2021, 12:48:00 pm »

Has your Cavalier even got ABS on it? Mine didn't. If any of the things on my car packed up, I'd still be able to drive and handle it, when I did my apprenticeship on the buses, it was company policy that anyone who would ever have to drive a bus for what ever reason, had to go through their driving school for training. When it was time, I had to go out for a day with a load of other trainees who were being trained to be full time PSV holding bus drivers. They all took a turn in the driver's seat of a double-decker while I sat and waited. We pulled into Braintree depot and had lunch, after which the instructor said it was my turn in the seat and I got to drive back from Braintree to Chelmsford depot in the snow. The instructor went straight to my mechanical superintendent and asked him what was the big idea of sending me over to the driving school, he said that he had never seen driving skills like it and that I from that point on cleared to drive  ^-^. When there was a broken down bus and the mechanics were already out in the breakdown truck, I'd get sent out with a replacement bus so that the driver could transfer his passengers to it and continue the journey. I'd have to effect whatever repairs were needed to get the broken bus driveable and limp it back to the depot. I never failed to get back unaided. :-+

And you are only proving my point; you were taught how to drive without all the modern crap, as was I. Consequently we do know how to react when things go wrong. Modern drivers, for the most part do not, and frequently only find out that fact at speeds we would have struggled to reach in similar conditions, in the vehicles of the day.

Ditto. And you would be surprised how many Americans, even folks my age, have absolutely no clue how to drive a manual gearbox. Present a typical driver with a vehicle with 3 pedals and it's total panic. Automatic transmissions really started to take over in the 1960's and many folks never had to drive a stick and never learned.

My father was "old fashioned" and all his vehicles were manual gearbox. So it was either learn how to drive it or walk. I learned and initially I hated it and wanted a car with an automatic but found out in due time that automatics were unreliable and not much fun to drive.

So...fast forward to today. There's only a select few cars in the American market that offer a manual transmission. The Civic still does. And if I happen to have someone in the passenger seat who never learned they are fascinated watching me row the gears but also remark that they want nothing to do with it. Can't drink coffee and eat a donut if you have to change gears.  :palm:

Well I don't know about the US but over here we have 2 types of driving licences, A/ Manual boxes and B/ Auto transmissions. Type B is only allowed to drive AT's but pass the type A driving test, and you're OK then to drive both classes and I think it is true to say that today more people hold type B licences.

In the early days auto boxes were not only expensive, but they were unreliable, so most people went for manuals, these days the cost of an auto is less and so autos used to be the domain of big luxury barges, but they have come full circle, they are generally more or at least as reliable and in some cases the manual versions are sold at a premium. With the modern DSG autos, they are faster and just as fuel efficient as a manual box variant. As mentioned in an earlier posting, I'm used to driving big buses and also trucks when the used to have crash boxes and were much harder to change gear than modern synchromesh boxes as this short film shows. It was also possible with care to change gears without using the clutch on them, but it took a lot of skill, and you had to listen to the engine note, something which I did with the older buses. While I was working on the buses, they introduced the semi automatics that needed a different style of driving as this film shows.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81117 on: January 30, 2021, 01:53:04 pm »
All hybrids and electrics are classed as autos so eventually the basic test will be auto only with a special for manuals / commercials. I took my test long enough ago I can drive minibuses (>8 seats) and commercials up to 7.5T etc. That stopped a while ago.  A modern basic licence won't cover you to drive a S3 LWB Station Waggon (12 seats, you can drive one in the bus lanes in Cambridge :-DD) or Ambulance bodied 101" FC (>3.5T).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81118 on: January 30, 2021, 02:00:40 pm »
Jan 1997 that stopped. Got in before that as well.  :phew:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #81119 on: January 30, 2021, 02:13:17 pm »
Err, no, I can't see any such link in your post at all  >:D

The picture of the tgb11 is a link. Eeeevil, right?  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81120 on: January 30, 2021, 02:17:25 pm »
Why not is only a slightly crusty Anchor  ;)      
Seems I added one to my lot eBay auction: #133645371427 I hold no real hopes for it. Worst case is is an expensive Fluke Box ;) Might be some hope it is some Black wire cancer under the hood.

Feeling quite 9th Law today, ehhh, bean?  ;)

If we don't hear from you in 2 days, I'll send the Rescue 'roos after ya. :-DD

mnem
Creamed-spinach screens make me go
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #81121 on: January 30, 2021, 02:18:48 pm »

If you have children you can have such interaction with ("because he couldn’t build a PC with his son this weekend") you're probably not millenial. What Ebay might need is a "stupid filter" but that would probably be bad for business. People not understanding things as they're seen by others are simply too common, ageistic labels aside. The "me first, consider others never" modus operandi has existed for ages. And it's not going away.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #81122 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:53 pm »

Here, if you took "car" (called "B" in our system) you got motorcycle too. That stopped in the 80s. If you took "Bus" (called "D") you got Lorry (C), Heavier trailer on car (BE) and bus (DE). That ended in 1994. I took mine 1993, so I have *BEC*DE and the basic taxi level, which today is useless.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81123 on: January 30, 2021, 02:39:37 pm »

Now try it wit a gearbox that doesn't have synchromesh. They were called "crashboxes" for a reason.

Knowing how to double declutch can, very occasionally, be useful.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81124 on: January 30, 2021, 02:43:50 pm »

Here, if you took "car" (called "B" in our system) you got motorcycle too. That stopped in the 80s. If you took "Bus" (called "D") you got Lorry (C), Heavier trailer on car (BE) and bus (DE). That ended in 1994. I took mine 1993, so I have *BEC*DE and the basic taxi level, which today is useless.

I got my manual licence in 75, so I automatically got an automatic licence and, ISTR, a motorcycle licence. Can't be bothered to go and look at it to check :)

I've also driven a double-decker bus, without a licence. So did my 16yo daughter; she didn't realise how powerful airbrakes are, and her "instructor" almost went through the windscreen :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf