Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17542120 times)

Gyro, Ice-Tea, Runco990, Vince, Robert763, SashPlane, wkb and 105 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81025 on: January 29, 2021, 01:32:10 pm »
It’s not a Land Rover until you smoke a loom.

As for the pain of mid to late 40s I sympathise  :-DD
Well if you must smoke a loom then a landie is the car to do it in because there is bugger all to sustain fire in one of them, personally I'd still rather not, the smell of burnt cables is rather nauseating if I'm honest   :-DD

No Relays so everything was switched via the dash. Damm Pommie Engineers  >:D Most of the melt was in the headlight loom.
If we put relays and or fuses in then it becomes overly complicated and another thing to go wrong and makes them dangerous apparently  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81026 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:58 pm »
Is it true that the first generation LR's used war surplussed Jeep parts? 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81027 on: January 29, 2021, 01:37:26 pm »

The first prototype did but after that, no.

As for the electrics, if it's a diesel, you don't need them. I crank started once once and drove 15 miles with hand signals and no brake lights  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81028 on: January 29, 2021, 01:38:29 pm »

That was probably an improvement for the Jeep parts being used.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81029 on: January 29, 2021, 01:41:30 pm »
Thing of Random, started reprofiling the new Electronic Adjuster while watching The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (for maybe the 20'th time) drinking a Port or three in the shack. Life is ok sometimes  :-+

Roughly to shape but sharpening and polishing tomorrow. Going in the back of my Soft Roader 4WD post 50 year old vehicle ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81030 on: January 29, 2021, 01:43:39 pm »

The first prototype did but after that, no.

As for the electrics, if it's a diesel, you don't need them. I crank started once once and drove 15 miles with hand signals and no brake lights  :-DD
I'm not so sure that the first prototype did, a Jeep was certainly the inspiration though.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81031 on: January 29, 2021, 02:22:07 pm »
Check out this knucklehead. I sent him a response that he can't possibly be serious as that is a standard IEC cable.  :palm:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ele/d/garnerville-black-prong-electric-cable/7256879790.html

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81032 on: January 29, 2021, 02:29:26 pm »
Check out this knucklehead. I sent him a response that he can't possibly be serious as that is a standard IEC cable.  :palm:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ele/d/garnerville-black-prong-electric-cable/7256879790.html
I was sorely tempted to say "Only in the USA could this happen" but that would be a lie, the world is full of these bloody idiots  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81033 on: January 29, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »

I was sorely tempted to say "Only in the USA could this happen" but that would be a lie, the world is full of these bloody idiots  :palm:

I fully expect to get at the very least an obscene response or none at all.  ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81034 on: January 29, 2021, 02:44:18 pm »

I fully expect to get at the very least an obscene response or none at all.  ::)
Maybe the usual suspects are going to be better behaved today  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81035 on: January 29, 2021, 03:04:06 pm »

So what type of cable/plug does he think new computers use?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81036 on: January 29, 2021, 03:09:26 pm »
He's probably got a laptop or something. There's literally bugger all in this house that uses an IEC plug other than desktop computers and test gear. Hell my current main desktop doesn't even use one!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81037 on: January 29, 2021, 03:20:44 pm »
follows the wheels, so if there is a bend in the road, they will swivel and light the road round the bend, another safety feature that I love.

I hate it, it makes it more likely for you to dazzle oncoming traffic when you're turning across their lane. Not really a "safety feature" at that point.
Added to the fact that modern LED headlamps have completely the wrong colour temperature and lumen output, makes it much more dangerous. Of course, more crashes due to dazzled oncoming traffic means more parts/new car sales, so the manufacturers have a vested interest in fitting "safety features" that aren't.

All the electronic assistance in modern cars means in my experience that drivers become increasingly lazy and incompetent. I can set off from a hill without assistance thankyou, I can park, brake, accelerate, corner, operate lights and wipers, all using my own ability.
What it also means in practice is that modern cars are so capable that they are way above the skill level of any ordinary user, and in consequence the failure point, in terms of losing control, is so much higher than in an older car, it makes them far more dangerous, given how the human brain works to evaluate risk/reward equations.

On that note I think I’ve decided to buy a series 3 Land Rover again  :-DD

That's why I'm keeping the Civic until one of two things happen. I die or it dies.

No traction control, no ABS, no bullshit lazy ass features. Just me and the machine.....and I'm in full control.

To certain definitions of control...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81038 on: January 29, 2021, 03:29:38 pm »
@mnementh I also looked at one of these calculator kits last year and decided against it, however I may just review that decision to break the boredom up.

Well... that was satisfying, but not nearly long enuf. All the actual "make"-ery is done... now it's just assembly. I might mod it with a an old camera Li-Ion cell tho; it appears to have a backlit LCD & I don't imagine CR2032s will last long.

Still... def worth the pittance they charge to occupy a afternoon.  ;D

mnem

Yeh, it does make you wonder as to why they didn't include a power socket and make the batteries rechargeable, shouldn't add all that much to the kits cost?

Seeing it all sitting there now, kinda makes me wish I had one to build to... I may have to pull the trigger on one myself soon  :-+

Don't for get its pretty useless as a calculator only 5 digits and no error trapping if you go over IIRc

Close... 7 digits, input & output registers. What a waste of that delicious 2x16 display. :palm:

I'm going to mod mine... Already thinking of how to make 3DP standoffs so I can use all the same m2 button-head screws everywhere on it. If it's gonna be a useless toy, I'mo do it up right. We'll see how it does come tax season. >:D

mnem
I am moop.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81039 on: January 29, 2021, 03:35:25 pm »

Drug dealer selling nickel bags.  :P

mnem
*punt*

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81040 on: January 29, 2021, 03:40:10 pm »

Drug dealer selling nickel bags.  :P

mnem
*punt*

Didn't realise that Nickel is considered a drug in Canada! How about Zinc? :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81041 on: January 29, 2021, 03:43:04 pm »
Soggy ol' boots inbound tooya, McB...  >:D

mnem
"Doobie-doobie-doooooo..."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:41:32 pm by mnementh »

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81042 on: January 29, 2021, 04:19:54 pm »

That's cheaper than retail in the UK
www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables/power-cables-and-adaptors/advent-akettle20-laptop-charger-power-cable-1-8-m-10201811-pdt.html
£16.99 = $23  :wtf: People actually buy these. I open a package from CDL and say, damm not another IEC lead!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 04:22:10 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81043 on: January 29, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »
He's probably got a laptop or something. There's literally bugger all in this house that uses an IEC plug other than desktop computers and test gear. Hell my current main desktop doesn't even use one!
That is so real, kettles these days are mostly cordless as well  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81044 on: January 29, 2021, 04:29:30 pm »

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables/power-cables-and-adaptors/advent-akettle20-laptop-charger-power-cable-1-8-m-10201811-pdt.html
£16.99 = $23  :wtf: People actually buy these. I open a package from CDL and say, damm not another IEC lead!

Hell, that is expensive, I've just made 10 x right angle 1M leads for the cost of £2.80 £2.12 incl VAT each using parts from CPC.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:41:43 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81045 on: January 29, 2021, 05:05:49 pm »

That's why Currys PC World closed down the road from me and the branch my uncle worked for closed in September  :-DD

This is more like it: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe01052/lead-uk-plug-to-iec-socket-c13/dp/PL13268

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81046 on: January 29, 2021, 05:40:10 pm »
Wrecking balls... wrecking balls... gitcher wrecking balls right here, only 2 quid apiece!!! :-DD

mnem
*currently unscrewing the inscrutible*

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #81047 on: January 29, 2021, 06:42:23 pm »
Is it just me or is the forum picture attachment functionality more borked up than normal?

I see a minuature and when I click on it, it's another picture?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81048 on: January 29, 2021, 06:43:24 pm »

I was thinking about £100 for the dead K2001

If I can get a donor unit ...

@Zucca you said that you might have a donor unit ?
If so I would indeed take a shot at a bench dmm.

Please let me know

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81049 on: January 29, 2021, 06:46:13 pm »
Is it just me or is the forum picture attachment functionality more borked up than normal?

I see a minuature and when I click on it, it's another picture?
Nope, is this a picture that you are trying post, or is one attached to another post?

Edit, I'll assume its one you want to post, so what you need to do is not select the first option to add a photo but click on add another and leave the first spot blank. The select the photo you want to post on the 2nd and the subsequent additions etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:51:13 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf