Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17550104 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78125 on: December 26, 2020, 07:45:05 pm »
Gah, just lost an attempt to snaffle a nice TTi TG2511A function generator on eBay today, had my finger hovering over the mouse ready to submit my bid for £150 but suddenly leapt at the dieing seconds from £140 to £195, so was that anyone from this thread? If so you grabbed what looked like a great bargain there but was way over my budget  |O

No comment   :-X
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #78126 on: December 26, 2020, 07:50:27 pm »

There was one of those in my Students Union, powering the cinema projector.

It was at the bottom of the fire escape stairwell, under the open stairs, protected by a mesh guard.

Even 45 years ago, I wondered about the elf n safety!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78127 on: December 26, 2020, 07:55:37 pm »
In my defence a decent awg was the last piece in the puzzle. Upcoming soon: for sale, Solartron 7150, TTi 1906, Thurlby 1905a, maybe a thandar TG2001 but I want to check it a bit more thoroughly first.

@bd139 I remain to be convinced re the likes of Rigol and Siglent. Now, tautech does a good job standing up for Siglent, as you'd expect given he's a distributer, but I just haven't yet seen enough evidence to push me over the top.
TTi on the other hand, I have, in the form of exceptional tech support both firsthand and via thirdhand reports.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78128 on: December 26, 2020, 07:58:50 pm »

It was at the bottom of the fire escape stairwell, under the open stairs, protected by a mesh guard.

I have a 1kW projector lamp (NIB) courtesy of the local Odeon refit/refurb shambles, but haven't had the stones to give it any beans as yet...   :o
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78129 on: December 26, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »
In my defence a decent awg was the last piece in the puzzle. Upcoming soon: for sale, Solartron 7150, TTi 1906, Thurlby 1905a, maybe a thandar TG2001 but I want to check it a bit more thoroughly first.

@bd139 I remain to be convinced re the likes of Rigol and Siglent. Now, tautech does a good job standing up for Siglent, as you'd expect given he's a distributer, but I just haven't yet seen enough evidence to push me over the top.
TTi on the other hand, I have, in the form of exceptional tech support both firsthand and via thirdhand reports.

Haha, great minds think alike, I was after that AWG because I was thinking about releasing at least one of my Solartron 7150 plus's, TTI TGP110 and TTi TG120 (the thinking behind those was that the TG2511A would do both of their functions and some more and be able to reclaim some of my bench space back  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78130 on: December 26, 2020, 08:16:23 pm »

Yes and no on the later TTi devices. Generally if it’s got an ARM core in it then there’s no schematics and no service manuals available even if it is TTi. At that stage you’re at the mercy of time only because being second hand there is no usable warranty. At best you’re insured against simple risks which can be reverse engineered from the device back to schematics. But they are really complicated machines. Since the inception of the low cost arbitrary waveform generators like the very early 33120A, things got a lot more complicated from the possibilities for things to go wrong perspective. On top of that the ARM based TTi stuff uses typical FLASH programmable ARM embedded cores so if you lose the MCU you’re up shit creek.

Roll on the DG811 which can be cracked trivially to be a 100Mhz dual channel arb for £216 inc vat and delivery. also because of the B2C nature of the transaction and it’s new you’re covered for 6 years warranty under CRA 2015. That’s a total investment of £3 a month over that time. And it’ll sell for a fair wedge at the end. During that time all you have to consider is it working like it did when you got it, which it will.

Ergo at least for me we can only rely on the manufacturer for older devices. Which is incidentally while you’ll only ever see me buying older TTi kit.

I digress, it may last a long timed, but I’m terribly risk averse these days. Certainly not a high roller in this space.

Siglent’s product is equivalent. Less bang for buck but the UI doesn’t suck complete balls, which is admittedly a big problem with the DG811. Also nowhere to put your coffee.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78131 on: December 26, 2020, 08:25:25 pm »

I live down the road from there. Still haven't been to it! Not holding up any hopes for a visit in 2021  :-//
Likewise, I both walked and driven past the doors to that building literally 1000's of times in the last 20 years as the HQ and factory of my old company I was working for at the time was just a mile further on along the A315 there at Commerce Road, close to the Holiday Inn (Brentford Lock), small world, isn't it? I always said to myself that One day I'd visit the museum but never did  :palm: On another occasion we had our Christmas lunch at the London Apprentice (where they loaded Concord onto the Barge for her sea trip to Edinburgh) and another year we had a Christmas party at the function rooms of Twickenham Rugby Stadium so have been circling your gaff for years  :-DD :-DD

Very close. Although I didn’t live here then most likely  :-DD

I went for a stroll (well slightly longer than expected walk) earlier and went past the steam museum at Brentford actually. As expected closed. Another place I need to go but haven’t yet.

Commerce road I know quite well. I was going to rent some office space down there a few years back when i was trying to size up my limited company. Decided on a place in Feltham in the end near the tip but the contract fell through I was going to get people in for  >:(

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #78132 on: December 26, 2020, 08:33:12 pm »
Anyone on discord tonight? I'm trying to join while in paralle I'm installing my new PC with Saskia hardware.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78133 on: December 26, 2020, 08:38:07 pm »
Unfortunately not until possibly later here. My new desktop doesn’t have Discord installed (yet) so need to work that out. Haven’t tried it on arm64  :popcorn:  Need to fulfil a promise first to play Cards Against Humanity with my eldest two  :scared: :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78134 on: December 26, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »
Anyone on discord tonight? I'm trying to join while in paralle I'm installing my new PC with Saskia hardware.  :)
I doubt that I'd be there tonight.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78135 on: December 26, 2020, 08:41:05 pm »

I will be there, though currently listening to Epica - Design Your Universe and waiting for a takeaway delivery
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #78136 on: December 26, 2020, 08:52:37 pm »
Unfortunately not until possibly later here. My new desktop doesn’t have Discord installed (yet) so need to work that out.
Pretty easy, just click the invite link on P1 of this thread.

Busy selling DSO's so might not make it today.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78137 on: December 26, 2020, 09:13:27 pm »
Maybe this one is for you.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Agilent-hp-8350A-Synthesized-Sweep-Signal-Generator-10MHz-Sich-20-GHZ/124496531649
 :popcorn:

Mhh.. Not bad. Any affiliation with the seller? I think I'll ask him if/how he knows the unit is OK (if he does) the plan is to eliminate some variables, not to add them.

No affiliation at all. I'm watching it but I have neither a SA, nor a counter, nor a power meter that goes up that far, so why should I need a generator. But you are right - play it safe.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78138 on: December 26, 2020, 09:24:39 pm »

I have a 1kW projector lamp (NIB) courtesy of the local Odeon refit/refurb shambles, but haven't had the stones to give it any beans as yet...   :o
Take care with that, they are normally very high pressure lamps and explode if mis-handled. When changing them (did it many, many years ago) the recommended gear was a full face visor, leather apron with high collar and leather gloves  :scared:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78139 on: December 26, 2020, 09:41:06 pm »
yarp-

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #78140 on: December 26, 2020, 10:13:31 pm »
Accidently, on a slightly more TEA related note: I've been looking for a working 15GHz+ RF generator. Doesn't have to be super accurate, but does have to work. I'm not looking for another project (God, no..).

So if one of you eBay addicts comes accross something: let me know!
Maybe this one is for you.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Agilent-hp-8350A-Synthesized-Sweep-Signal-Generator-10MHz-Sich-20-GHZ/124496531649
That auction heading is misleading - the 8350A is not a synthesized instrument despite the digital frequency displays.

The YIG oscillators in this instrument are swept with an open loop control voltage so the frequency error can be 10MHz or more - definitely not synthesizer accuracy.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78141 on: December 26, 2020, 10:21:51 pm »
Perhaps he was just a normal AT&T customer who had enough  :-DD

I have a suspicion that it was a movie plot heist. It took out comms for miles, including alarms and the police. When people get back to work I suspect we're going to hear news of a very valuable, very empty vault somewhere nearby.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78142 on: December 26, 2020, 10:34:54 pm »
FINALLY bagged myself a half decent awg, TTi TG2511A, price: don't ask.   :scared:

Also missed a NI GPIB-USB because stupid   |O

Nice! I missed out on a two channel TTi job a while back and still regret it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78143 on: December 26, 2020, 10:36:13 pm »
So, a regular AT&T customer?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78144 on: December 26, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
Unfortunately not until possibly later here. My new desktop doesn’t have Discord installed (yet) so need to work that out.
Pretty easy, just click the invite link on P1 of this thread.

Busy selling DSO's so might not make it today.

Yeah can install it. Slightly more complicated. Wondering more if I should poison my new desktop with the discord Electron app which is emulated or just use it native in the browser. Haven’t decided yet  :-//

This is the first non x86 desktop I’ve had for about 25 years  :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78145 on: December 26, 2020, 10:42:23 pm »

I have a suspicion that it was a movie plot heist. It took out comms for miles, including alarms and the police. When people get back to work I suspect we're going to hear news of a very valuable, very empty vault somewhere nearby.

Good point. Being an AT&T facility I bet it took out a crap load of alarm circuits as well and added a lot of noise to the ones that did go off. It was clear the attackers did not intend to injure anyone intentionally though which suggests there’s a secondary gain other than terror.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78146 on: December 26, 2020, 11:04:08 pm »
Well I put a low offer on an untested HP 86260A & it got accepted.  ;) My offer of $20 put it below the amount where import charges get added, not sure why the GSP postage goes up though.  :-//

I have a scale for 12GHz-18GHz or one for 12GHz-18.6GHz, they will have to do for now.

David
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:05:55 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78147 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:27 pm »
Unfortunately not until possibly later here. My new desktop doesn’t have Discord installed (yet) so need to work that out. Haven’t tried it on arm64  :popcorn:  Need to fulfil a promise first to play Cards Against Humanity with my eldest two  :scared: :-DD

Welp, we won't see bd til 2AM...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78148 on: December 26, 2020, 11:34:19 pm »
Game finished 23:30. That is one sick game. I’m loving it  >:D :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78149 on: December 27, 2020, 12:17:33 am »
My wife won't let me corrupt our son with the game.

mnem
Yet.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf