Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17519383 times)

factory, Vince, andreab and 128 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74750 on: November 10, 2020, 10:34:52 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #74751 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:31 am »
Do you still need conventional heating?

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74752 on: November 10, 2020, 10:53:12 am »
I am not an RF guy, yet I have a RigLOL DSA815-TG which is collecting dust most of the time.
What do you think to get rid of it and buy the NanoVNA latest and greatest (V2 Plus4)?

...another smart idea to waste money with TEA...  ???

Zucca i know a guy who can dust it off and is also a RF guy :)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74753 on: November 10, 2020, 10:58:07 am »
I am not an RF guy, yet I have a RigLOL DSA815-TG which is collecting dust most of the time.
What do you think to get rid of it and buy the NanoVNA latest and greatest (V2 Plus4)?

A NanoVNA won't give you what the DSA815-TG can. Even if you aren't an RF guy, a decent SA can be very useful, especially with the tracking generator. Also, depending what you originally paid for it, you will incur a considerable loss by selling it.

Instead of letting it gather dust, why don't you do some small projects with it, like making a few low/high/bandpass filters and learn what the SA can do for you?
Or make yourself a few nearfield probes and check what interference your latest PCB is transmitting.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74754 on: November 10, 2020, 10:58:49 am »
Excuse me, how much?!?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124431104146

I paid something like $60 USD for my fully functional 8050A. That appears to be a special model with the nicotine yellowed case which demands a higher price.  :palm:

Edit.....Also, it has the dead battery option.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:03:21 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74755 on: November 10, 2020, 11:33:09 am »
Excuse me, how much?!?

I paid something like $60 USD for my fully functional 8050A. That appears to be a special model with the nicotine yellowed case which demands a higher price.  :palm:

I was told a while back that such things happen, when the seller doesn't want to sell the unit and does not want to close the ebay offer for any reason.  :-//
No Idea, why this should be a good idea. Perhaps some of the semi-professional sellers here do know some reasons.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74756 on: November 10, 2020, 11:35:34 am »

A NanoVNA won't give you what the DSA815-TG can. Even if you aren't an RF guy, a decent SA can be very useful, especially with the tracking generator. Also, depending what you originally paid for it, you will incur a considerable loss by selling it.

Instead of letting it gather dust, why don't you do some small projects with it, like making a few low/high/bandpass filters and learn what the SA can do for you?
Or make yourself a few nearfield probes and check what interference your latest PCB is transmitting.

McBryce.

What was your plan with it, when you bought it?
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #74757 on: November 10, 2020, 11:57:16 am »

I was told a while back that such things happen, when the seller doesn't want to sell the unit and does not want to close the ebay offer for any reason.  :-//
No Idea, why this should be a good idea. Perhaps some of the semi-professional sellers here do know some reasons.

I'm not a seller anyway. But once upon a time, I bought some items from a (semi) professional seller by a telephone call after having seen the unit on the bay. After agreeing on the price, he mumbled something like "Now I'll raise the price on the bay so no one will buy it until the regular end of the auction. If I remove too many items prematurely, evil bay will complain."
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, Specmaster

Offline hulk69

• Contributor
« Reply #74758 on: November 10, 2020, 12:06:05 pm »
Maybe he used the wrong manual range on the price
press 200 range => $39.99

Even at that price i would not buy this antique

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74759 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:42 pm »
Excuse me, how much?!?

The seller has decided not complete the sale  (probably sold off ebay) Ebay tracks how many listings you end early to detect fee avoidance. They will take action if you do it repeatedly.  Putting the price up is a way around this. Some sellers of new items will put the price up when out of stock so they maintain their listings.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74760 on: November 10, 2020, 12:26:58 pm »

McBryce.

What was your plan with it, when you bought it?

Learn RF, it was a cheap-ass and reasonable good spec SA. I am still counfsed with all this RF jazz. For example I never touched the difference between a SA with TG and a simple VNA like a Nano VNA.
In my mind they are just two boxes that generate an RF signal and read back the result from the DUT. Well to me a VNA is superior because it can get the vector back, not just the amplitude (See I told you I am not an RF guy). I have even a nearfield probes set (cheap ass in pure chinesium), but never used it because I never had issues in that direction.

Yes McBryce, it would be not the first time I waste money with TEA.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:31:56 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74761 on: November 10, 2020, 12:30:58 pm »

I'm not a seller anyway. But once upon a time, I bought some items from a (semi) professional seller by a telephone call after having seen the unit on the bay. After agreeing on the price, he mumbled something like "Now I'll raise the price on the bay so no one will buy it until the regular end of the auction. If I remove too many items prematurely, evil bay will complain."

Ah, that's the first sensible, truly plausible explanation for that phenomenon that I've seen. So, it's just a way of gaming the system, a broken system as its intent can be nullified by gaming it.

That phenomenon, and all the unsatisfactory half arsed guesses at why it exists has been niggling me for a while. It's very satisfying to finally get a good explanation. I feel slightly wiser now, and that's always a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:33:00 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74762 on: November 10, 2020, 12:35:38 pm »
Maybe he used the wrong manual range on the price
press 200 range => $39.99

Even at that price i would not buy this antique

[Fx: Foghorn Leghorn voice] "Kid, I say kid. You're in the wrong, I say wrong, place to go sayin' that sort of thing."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74763 on: November 10, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »

A Spectrum Analyser with Tracking Generator (SA/TG) and a Vector Network Analyser (VNA) are not the same thing. and do not replace each other. SA/TG does not give phase information.It's primary function is signal analysis not component (network) analysis. A VNA does not analyse signals.  The addition of th TG to a SA makes it a form of Scalar Network Analyser. Which is a a swept amplitude measurement device.
You need to decide what you want to do with the equipment. It might be that a Software Defined Radio (SDR) https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/ and a NanoVNA would do everthing but with less accuracy.
If you don't do RF work then a VNA is only decoration. A SA or SDR is useful for detecting interference and listening to the radio. 

I do do some RF stuf and have 4 SAs (two with TGs) and 2 VNAs (all professional units)  if I could only have one it would be a SA/TG.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74764 on: November 10, 2020, 01:14:56 pm »

Ah, that's the first sensible, truly plausible explanation for that phenomenon that I've seen. So, it's just a way of gaming the system, a broken system as its intent can be nullified by gaming it.

That phenomenon, and all the unsatisfactory half arsed guesses at why it exists has been niggling me for a while. It's very satisfying to finally get a good explanation. I feel slightly wiser now, and that's always a good thing.

The system is not broken. When a seller puts an item on ebay they enter into a contract with ebay. A condition of that contract is that they sell it on ebay and pay the fees (there are exceptions e.g. classified ads for vehicles). By selling the item off ebay they are in breach of contract and ebay have the right to do somethng about that.
I dislike sellers who end early either because they did not get the price that they wanted or because of an off-ebay offer. It's not fair to other bidders.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74765 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »
Excuse me, how much?!?

The eBay uplift is more than the value of this item.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #74766 on: November 10, 2020, 01:25:49 pm »

Well... there's also several illegitimate purposes for crazy auction and Craigslist, Kijiji, etc listings as well. Some are just plain drug deals. Some are insurance fraud.

On Craigslist, etc, some are deliberately lowball to take advantage of recent legislation that allows insurance companies to just pull some rando posting off Craigslist and use THAT as a value basis for your vehicle or other valuable property; I had to sue my insurance company over a total loss on that one. They tried to use a bogus listing on Craigslist that was 4K below Bluebook, and THEN use the mileage & features deduction tables on top of that. Then another such listing... and another.

Where I caught them up was "Did you call the seller? Were you able to confirm that this car was available to buy at that price? Because I did. 10 calls over 3 days."

"We called, but didn't get any answer..." multiple times, multiple different listings.

Turns out this is a huge ongoing scam, perpetrated by crooked auto body shops and mostly skeevy independent insurance agents, but the entire insurance industry knows aboot it and takes advantage.

IMO, if they're going to use these private listings as a value basis, they should have to buy the car for you, and have it delivered. That is what "replacement cost" insurance SHOULD mean, FFS.  :palm:

mnem
Current mood: tangential.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74767 on: November 10, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »

The system is not broken. When a seller puts an item on ebay they enter into a contract with ebay. A condition of that contract is that they sell it on ebay and pay the fees (there are exceptions e.g. classified ads for vehicles). By selling the item off ebay they are in breach of contract and ebay have the right to do somethng about that.
I dislike sellers who end early either because they did not get the price that they wanted or because of an off-ebay offer. It's not fair to other bidders.

Slightly more complicated than that. If you have a powerseller rating and want to go on holiday then they punish you if you don't dispatch in a certain amount of time so you can't just remove the items. They also charge you to relist if you end them. So it's better to knock your prices up and leave them there.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #74768 on: November 10, 2020, 01:38:39 pm »
For example I never touched the difference between a SA with TG and a simple VNA like a Nano VNA.

An SA+TG is a scalar network analyser - amplitude only.
A VNA is amplitude+phase.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #74769 on: November 10, 2020, 01:41:18 pm »
It might be that a Software Defined Radio (SDR) https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/ and a NanoVNA would do everthing but with less accuracy.

I've used an SDR dongle plus noise generator as a poor-man's SA+TG. It works, with limitations related to dynamic range and harmonics introduced by non-linearities.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74770 on: November 10, 2020, 01:58:09 pm »
For example I never touched the difference between a SA with TG and a simple VNA like a Nano VNA.

An SA+TG is a scalar network analyser - amplitude only.
A VNA is amplitude+phase.

So far so good, that's why I get confused when I read

A NanoVNA won't give you what the DSA815-TG can.

but Robert763 gave us a fair explanation.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74771 on: November 10, 2020, 02:27:39 pm »

The system is broken. EBay obviously put something in place so that they are notified of 'too many' early ending listings, obviously to catch 'off eBay' sales, but that can be circumvented by the 'price hike' tactic. The mechanism can be subverted, so does not achieve its aim, therefore is broken.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74772 on: November 10, 2020, 02:38:23 pm »
Just spent a two hour head scratching session working out why my PC suddenly sounds like a frog every few minutes. Turned out to be the GPU fan spinning up occasionally (it's usually off). Have set the fan curves to run at 20% until it hits 65oC. So much for silent fans!  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74773 on: November 10, 2020, 02:43:59 pm »
Add to that, laptops are hard to keep cool as they have inferior cooling compared to a desktop so the fan will audibly cut in far more often if they are used for extended periods. I notice that with my laptops, much prefer the desktop PC.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74774 on: November 10, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
Same on my Lecroy. Got 10-90% (rise) and 20-80% (r20-80%) in the auto measurement.

Can also specify my own level by voltage or % (r@level)

I know you can specify the levels and that they are indicated. What I don't see is an indication of what the scope is using as the 100% and 0% levels.

Yes, you're right. I missed your point.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf