Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16726291 times)

Peter_O, Runco990, Wolfgang, Robert763, unseenninja and 78 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71575 on: October 09, 2020, 10:46:42 am »
Morrisons custard creams are the best

Careful!  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71576 on: October 09, 2020, 10:49:56 am »

On it  :-DD

An interesting data point is that in the UK, junk food is significantly cheaper than real food, whereas in Sweden, my impression is the opposite.

Quote from: George Orwell
When you are unemployed, which is to say
when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to
eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is
always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let's have three pennorth
of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and
we'll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are
at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don't nourish you
to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than
brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery
that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the
English-man's opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a
temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

(from The Road To Wigan Pier by George Orwell, 1937)
That text is 84 years old, but it stands as a lasting headstone over the health of the chav.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71577 on: October 09, 2020, 10:56:45 am »
Talking of using Cisco 7206 VXRs as garage heaters, if someone really wants to combine winter warmth and a big wired home network - on eBay, a full Cisco Catalyst 6500 chassis complete with 288 10/100/1000 Ethernet PoE ports and two 6 kW PSUs. Currently sitting at £80 + £35 carriage, likely to go for that too.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71578 on: October 09, 2020, 11:01:16 am »
It's worth pretty much nothing though. The amount of stuff that goes in the WEEE skip these days is scary.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71579 on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
And last, but most certainly not least, where the magic happens in the P6042. These things must be treated like Fabergé eggs, and unfortunately it looks like there may be a crack started in the top half. But, it seems to work fine, so not bad for a pennies on the dollar property auction purchase. [edit] I also confirmed that dc response is fine...it tracks my in-service P6042 perfectly.

Looks like the crack is just in the potting not the ferrite so should be OK

edit - typo

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71580 on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:34 am »

You know, that is odd - I'm sure I was seeing an IPv6 address in the 'connection' field when I was looking at my own eevblog posts a year or two back (A&A ISP customer here!)

Do keep in mind that Eevblog is on Cloudflare, which means that there are different answers depending on where you are. There is no universal truth.

Yup, current view from someone also on A&A's network:

Code: [Select]
cerebus@shu:~/Desktop$ dig [url=http://www.eevblog.com]www.eevblog.com[/url] aaaa

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> [url=http://www.eevblog.com]www.eevblog.com[/url] aaaa
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42163
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;[url=http://www.eevblog.com]www.eevblog.com[/url]. IN AAAA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
eevblog.com. 3048 IN SOA erin.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2034806799 10000 2400 604800 3600

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 90.155.xxx.xx#53(90.155.xxx.xxx)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 09 11:58:30 BST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

I used to get the forum via IPv6, but haven't for some time now. There used to be 'funnies' from time to time if you accessed via IPv6 and they went away of you used v4. I suspect that they may have reverted to IPv4 only becuase of this.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71581 on: October 09, 2020, 11:07:05 am »
An interesting data point is that in the UK, junk food is significantly cheaper than real food, whereas in Sweden, my impression is the opposite.

To be fair the non junk food is pretty cheap as well. Meal for 5 at just over £1 a head. Add gravy of course. And there's enough left over potatoes for mash a couple of days down the line.

The problem is it takes an hour and a half and you have to prepare the veg yourself which is beyond half of the population here. Oh and most people eat too much.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71582 on: October 09, 2020, 11:08:57 am »

You know, that is odd - I'm sure I was seeing an IPv6 address in the 'connection' field when I was looking at my own eevblog posts a year or two back (A&A ISP customer here!)

Do keep in mind that Eevblog is on Cloudflare Clownflare, which means that there are different answers depending on where you are. There is no universal truth.

Fixed that for you.    8)   >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71583 on: October 09, 2020, 11:12:26 am »
It's worth pretty much nothing though. The amount of stuff that goes in the WEEE skip these days is scary.

I once saw a whole big brand new BT owned SDH add drop multiplexer complete with STM16 cards (when STM16 was still something impressive ) go in a skip. If I had 0.001% of corporate Britain's wastefulness as hard money I could buy us all a large country estate to live on, run it, and still have money left over to build the labs and have a virtually bottomless TEA fund for us all.

Edited to add: The more I think of it the funnier the idea of a commune of TEA addicts, at various stages in old codgerhood, living together in the countryside becomes. Think "The IT Crowd" meets "Last of the Summer Wine".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:16:33 am by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71584 on: October 09, 2020, 11:14:55 am »

I once saw a whole big brand new BT owned SDH add drop multiplexer complete with STM16 cards (when STM16 was still something impressive ) go in a skip. If I had 0.001% of corporate Britain's wastefulness as hard money I could buy us all a large country estate to live on, run it, and still have money left over to build the labs and have a virtually bottomless TEA fund for us all.

At one place I worked, they were having a clear-out because tidiness, and they set out a bin labelled 'scrap titanium". It wasn't empty

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71585 on: October 09, 2020, 12:42:21 pm »

To be fair the non junk food is pretty cheap as well. Meal for 5 at just over £1 a head. Add gravy of course. And there's enough left over potatoes for mash a couple of days down the line.

The problem is it takes an hour and a half and you have to prepare the veg yourself which is beyond half of the population here. Oh and most people eat too much.

Meal for 5??? I hate white potatoes, slushy and tasteless, give me Albert Bartlets Red Roosters any day of the week, only £1.99 at Morrisons
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71586 on: October 09, 2020, 12:49:40 pm »
Yeah that actually feeds 5 adults the right amount of food. Yeah I don't eat the "white potatoes" myself but if you're on a budget it's a win. King Edwards here usually, failing that Maris Pipers :)

What I had for dinner on Tuesday...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71587 on: October 09, 2020, 01:07:47 pm »
Silly me. I thought, the people in the UK are eating baked beans all day long.   :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71588 on: October 09, 2020, 01:22:25 pm »
Very tempting. But no......haven't got the room. But damn, tempting. Looks kinda rough though but it should clean up. Interesting that he says 9 tubes lost vacuum. I see one. Unusual for that many tubes to go to air. Overheated perhaps?

Anyway.....Pat (Cubdriver), this is just a short drive for you. Go get it.  :-+ :-DD

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/ele/d/cos-cob-tektronix-oscilloscope/7208436371.html

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #71589 on: October 09, 2020, 01:25:01 pm »
Talking of using Cisco 7206 VXRs as garage heaters, if someone really wants to combine winter warmth and a big wired home network - on eBay, a full Cisco Catalyst 6500 chassis complete with 288 10/100/1000 Ethernet PoE ports and two 6 kW PSUs. Currently sitting at £80 + £35 carriage, likely to go for that too.

You couldn't pay to collect and run that. Well, it'd be a pretty penny at least.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71590 on: October 09, 2020, 01:47:54 pm »
Silly me. I thought, the people in the UK are eating baked beans all day long.   :-DD

Yes  :-DD But not those ones. They are quite frankly disgusting these days. Mostly water.

Best I have found are these:

Proper food  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71591 on: October 09, 2020, 01:52:15 pm »

Don't be silly, that's the Mericans, surely you've watched cowboy film
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71592 on: October 09, 2020, 01:52:34 pm »
Well that certainly explains the "London Fog". It's all farts.  :P :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71593 on: October 09, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »

Don't be silly, that's the Mericans, surely you've watched cowboy film

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71594 on: October 09, 2020, 01:57:54 pm »
Nailed it  :-DD. That or chicken and broccoli and this place is a write off  :-DD

Lurking for ebay deals this weekend. Fingers crossed I'll land something because everything I've got is working and not broken now  :'(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71595 on: October 09, 2020, 02:39:45 pm »
On it  :-DD   

Quote from: George Orwell
When you are unemployed, which is to say; when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let's have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we'll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don't nourish you to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man's opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

(from The Road To Wigan Pier by George Orwell, 1937)
That text is 84 years old, but it stands as a lasting headstone over the health of the chav.

Wigan Pier is a much more direct assault on the Western social malaise
which even today barrels like a locomotive at full steam headlong towards the proverbial cliff. 1984 was sufficiently "distanced" from the age it was written to serve as a cautionary tale (and unintended, as the blueprint for the current corporate machine's hostile takeover of its host organism); Wigan Pier bluntly placed the blame on all echelons of society, each in its own part, and the human drive to either take the path of least misery or that of the greatest perversity, but almost never to find a civil middle ground. This quote was part of a much larger context; which today is as incisive as it was nearly a century ago:

Quote from: Orwell-Wigan Pier
...A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into; the other functions and faculties may be more godlike, but in point of time they come afterwards. A man dies and is buried, and all his words and actions are forgotten, but the food he has eaten lives after him in the sound or rotten bones of his children.

I think it could be plausibly argued that changes of diet are more important than changes of dynasty or even of religion....Yet it is curious how seldom the all-importance of food is recognized. You see statues everywhere to politicians, poets, bishops, but none to cooks or bacon-curers or market gardeners...

Quote from: Orwell-Wigan Pier
...Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing.

The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't.

Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you...

Not surprising; really... as we are today engaged in the very same war against the very same machine which nearly destroyed humanity a century ago... with a century of practice to perfect the opiates and beat the voices of reason into submission... I have little doubt that the machine will succeed this time.  :palm:

If we're lucky... it'll happen before the race of man gives birth to SkyNet.

mnem

Food for thought; Thought from food.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:12:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71596 on: October 09, 2020, 02:40:13 pm »
Yep. That one. Just bought it for 340,-.
I will have the opportunity to test it when I'm there to fetch it.  :)

I just got the info it was sold, still had it on my watch list. So you will take a huge PS to get it warm? I was not amused to have a ride of abt. 500km to get it.
Would like to see insight photos when you got it.

My second KP184 arrived and this one works. Still waiting for the RMA of the broken one.

For me it's an under 1hr ride.   :)
I don't have such a powerful power supply, to be honest. But I will take an ATX power supply with me delivering loads of Amps at low voltages and a supply capable of 50V at low Amps.
I won't do a real load test -that would take hours. I just want to check if the basic functions (CV,CC,CR) of the load are ok.

I will share photos when I got it here.   :horse:   :-DD

Will you modify your KP184 to get rid of its safety flaws?   >:D
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71597 on: October 09, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »

Edited to add: The more I think of it the funnier the idea of a commune of TEA addicts, at various stages in old codgerhood, living together in the countryside becomes. Think "The IT Crowd" meets "Last of the Summer Wine".

Add random alien anal probes and I'm in!  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:12:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71598 on: October 09, 2020, 03:19:52 pm »
Should I be glad that video is showing up as unavailable based on the previous mention of anal probes?  :-DD

Edit: so I was bored this afternoon and have run my OS test suite against Fedora 32 and the damn thing passed everything. Is this a turning point?!?!  :scared:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:55:52 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71599 on: October 09, 2020, 04:20:14 pm »
Got a -hp- 432A today. 15€. No mount, no cable, VGC. It's full of relays!

Very optimistic plan is to bodge a mount. There's a AN describing the 478 mount, so some guidance is provided. No, won't be even close to the real thing, but without trial, how can there be error?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf