Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16738190 times)

Henrik_V and 94 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71175 on: October 04, 2020, 08:54:43 pm »
No no no metcal is the solution

As used by professionals...

I will never use another iron. I've used Pace, Weller, Antex shit for years and even the bottom end Metcal burns them a new asshole.
Hmm, massive cost difference between the orange so called POS and the Metcal though, I wonder if the POS could do that with the bolt? Possibly could if it has the right size of tip with some thermal mass to it, who knows?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71176 on: October 04, 2020, 08:56:43 pm »
The point with the metcal is you can switch between soldering bolts and doing 0603’s without changing the tip or settings.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71177 on: October 04, 2020, 09:11:16 pm »
Weller WD 1M with a WP 120 soldering iron here. This is my soldering iron which I'm using most. It is standing right here on the right side, waiting for it's next job. The only annoying thing with it I have fixed some time ago: the display. With some LEDs illuminationg it it is much better readable.

And as a second station a JBC HD-2B with two irons, a T245 for the usual and finer stuff and a T470 if you need really a lot thermal energy! This beast will do the Tektronix ceramic thingies from med6753 easily without a blink. Fantastic soldering station. Lots of different soldering tips available in different sizes, shapes, whatever.

I don't really understand, why JBC is here not that present like Metcal, Hakko, Pace or Weller. Perhaps I have overseen something.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, FransW

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71178 on: October 04, 2020, 09:19:22 pm »
The one thing I have concluded from all the discussions over the years here on soldering irons and stations is that no matter what the cost of them is when new, they can all have rogue units among them that go phut at any time, their build quality also has issues between brands as we have seen here, T12, Hakko, Weller (I believe that Dave claims that he has had a nasty experience with one that had no earth or fuse for that matter), it seems that there will always be the Friday lunchtime / afternoon one that slips through any quality control system.

Perhaps if it was a business purchase then something like a Metcal could be far more easily justified but in a lot of cases this would not be case, thats not to say that it might well be the most desirable one, but I really do think that a lot of people, me for one, could not in all honestly justify dropping a few hundred notes on something that is going to be sitting idle for most of its life and a T12 or similar these days really does not take that long to reach working temperature when compared to an old Henry Solon iron.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71179 on: October 04, 2020, 09:28:32 pm »
The point with the metcal is you can switch between soldering bolts and doing 0603’s without changing the tip or settings.

Soldering 0603 with the tip shown in the video above? I have here some doubts.
And vice versa. Soldering a nut on a bolt with a tip for a 0603 - I don't know, but I'm very sceptical in this respect.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71180 on: October 04, 2020, 09:32:04 pm »
Mine had the default chisel tip. I use it for both end of the spectrum. It makes short work on PCB enclosures and 0603’s. It really does work.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #71181 on: October 04, 2020, 09:35:30 pm »
Hakko and Weller WD1M here. Quick 861DW for hot air.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71182 on: October 04, 2020, 09:36:40 pm »
Hmm, massive cost difference between the orange so called POS and the Metcal though, I wonder if the POS could do that with the bolt? Possibly could if it has the right size of tip with some thermal mass to it, who knows?

What gives me confidence with the Metcals is that I know the immutable laws of physics mean that the tip cannot get too hot. It will not exceed the set temperature for that tip, even if the electronics go crazy. So as long as I've chosen a tip from an appropriate temperature range I can't burn a board, even on a tiny joint. Then, the ramp up of heat delivery is so fast that the same tip will handle a joint with big heat requirements. I'm not going to be in the situation that conventional irons can put you in, of having to use a tip with lots of thermal mass and high temperatures to get a difficult job done. Solder to a ground plane with a Metcal and it will not burn the board, no matter how long you leave it there - do it with an iron that needs a big tip with the temperature turned up to solder to a ground plane and hang around too long and the board is toast.

I find that I tend to keep the same mid-sized tip on the Metcal all the time (an SSC-637A, 30º chisel tip, 0.070", 357ºC) and with that I'll solder everything through hole from the smallest parts up to 4mm binding posts. I only swap to a physically smaller tip for SMD stuff. I've got a bigger tip, but I haven't had to break it out yet.

I'm constantly amazed that my Metcal is only 40W. It will do the work of a conventional iron with a much higher rating. The fact that the heat delivery is strictly confined to the actual tip, not to a larger heater that then has to get the heat across to the actual tip, makes it capable of delivering as much working heat as a larger iron, but without the time lapse associated with all that other stuff to heat up. It pisses all over the 65W temperature controlled Antex that I was using immediately before I got the Metcal. I still have the Antex, it hasn't even been turned on since I got the Metcal.

Mine was £70 off eBay, so you don't have to go cash crazy to get one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:40:30 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #71183 on: October 04, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
@tonyalbus do you have by any chance the manual for the LAG audio generator at hand and could email it to me ?

Sorry, immersed in tax stuff, but I need the audio gen next week ...

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71184 on: October 04, 2020, 09:48:34 pm »
Thanks mnem for your extensive description of your KSGER T12 soldering station!

I ordered a KSGER STM32 V2.1s T12 OLED controller. So no worries 'bout that..   :phew:

As I wrote: I came across reports saying that this controller is sensitive to overvoltage.
When I have my controller I will check what it is and what it's capable of.

The tip of the T12 cartridges being actually fully isolated would make ESD compatible design of T12 soldering station easy!  :-+
Too late for me, I took the steep way...   |O   :-DD
The DC buck converter you used would have been enough me, too.

Anyway, my DC/DC converter is capable of delivering 4,5A continuously and 7,5A for a short time.
I expect short heat up times and good/fast heating when soldering.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71185 on: October 04, 2020, 09:50:21 pm »

There's nothing better than power except more power..   >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71186 on: October 04, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
@URI pardon my ignorance, but why not just buy a finished Hakko ?

Because of the fun planning, building and using a custom made one.
It's still cheaper than an original Hakko..

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #71187 on: October 04, 2020, 10:00:50 pm »
New RPN group shot.  >:D >:D A few updates since the last one. The 48G and 12C, in particular. I have two 15Cs and two 16Cs but I opted not to put them in for compactness of the shot.

very pretty.  goes without saying that they would look even better laid out in front of the starboard track of a d9 cat.

...and then the RPN calculators disappear with the flourish of the magic wand, and in their place are the algebraics!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

:-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71188 on: October 04, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
I think the D9 would merely stop and be enlightened.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #71189 on: October 04, 2020, 10:26:42 pm »
I think the D9 would merely stop and be enlightened.
Good luck stopping a D9 in its tracks ! (pun intended).  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #71190 on: October 04, 2020, 11:46:47 pm »
@tonyalbus do you have by any chance the manual for the LAG audio generator at hand and could email it to me ?

This ?

https://www.lost-manuals.com/manufacturer/Leader/LAG-26

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71191 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:29 am »

I ordered a KSGER STM32 V2.1s T12 OLED controller. So no worries 'bout that..   :phew:

As I wrote: I came across reports saying that this controller is sensitive to overvoltage.

The tip of the T12 cartridges being actually fully isolated would make ESD compatible design of T12 soldering station easy!  :-+

Anyway, my DC/DC converter is capable of delivering 4,5A continuously and 7,5A for a short time.

Ahhhh... it gave me a chance to revisit my T12 project and remember why I liked them in the first place. Glad if my experience can help others in the future. Just how honkin' big are those honkin' big caps you stuffed in there anyhow...? My gut reaction is you'd be better served to put one in front of and one after that DC-DC converter; minimize effects of surge current draw from the controller. Of course, if it's CV/CC, that could mess with its CC functionality; would have to try it to be sure.

mnem
*currently beating my head against Frustion360* |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71192 on: October 05, 2020, 01:19:20 am »

I currently have reduced the electrical part of these Dell AA23300 PSUs to this quick & dirty hack; it turns the PSU on and sets the output voltage to a nice stable 13.85-13.90V at idle. These will do up to ~14.1V before they trip OVP; this gives a little leeway to ensure stability. :-+

I've tried multiple different attacks to slow down the idle RPM, but anything that makes any appreciable difference in the noise level causes it to go into shutdown or start doing a POST loop. |O

Currently exploring mechanical means of noise reduction. :o

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:52:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #71193 on: October 05, 2020, 01:20:18 am »

* Adds Metcal to wish list and moves it to the top *  No reason ... really.   ::)

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #71194 on: October 05, 2020, 05:07:18 am »

in your mailbox, good luck with your tax.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71195 on: October 05, 2020, 06:41:24 am »

I currently have reduced the electrical part of these Dell AA23300 PSUs to this quick & dirty hack; it turns the PSU on and sets the output voltage to a nice stable 13.85-13.90V at idle. These will do up to ~14.1V before they trip OVP; this gives a little leeway to ensure stability. :-+

I've tried multiple different attacks to slow down the idle RPM, but anything that makes any appreciable difference in the noise level causes it to go into shutdown or start doing a POST loop. |O

Currently exploring mechanical means of noise reduction.
:o

mnem
 :-/O

mnem
*toddles off to ded at o' dark-thirty*

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #71196 on: October 05, 2020, 06:43:13 am »

I would have bought this one for 80€ pesos

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/loetstation-oki-metcal-ps-800/1525324912-168-1929

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #71197 on: October 05, 2020, 06:47:02 am »
Anyway I love portable installation on the turd windows:

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/portable
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #71198 on: October 05, 2020, 07:38:47 am »
Quick update on the HP 6255A dual PSU, I've located a choice of two different replacement toggle switches from the stuff I bought & cleared from work.

Now the expensive parts with mine will probably be getting some knobs to replace those locknuts. The voltage & current controls are both 10-turn, so apparently the knobs would have been the type with no pointer (as shown below), I may have to use whatever I can find/buy.

I can't help thinking BD had a single version of this HP power supply last year, it's the type with the large power resistors at the back.

David

For what it's worth, the pointer on the knob on the far left is painted on and can be wiped off with some cleaning.  I routinely need to touch them up or completely repaint them using a white paint pen and a toothpick after cleaning things up, so if you find a knob with pointer, know that it is easily removed.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71199 on: October 05, 2020, 08:08:11 am »
My soldering tool of choice has been the Weller TCP for 40 years. Only thing I don't like is some of the later transformers buzzed and had enough magnetic field to affect CRTs. Solution to that was to put a toroid in it. The recent two part bits are crap though.
IMy second choice is Metcal, only downside is the cost.  Used the SP200 at work when they first came out. Did see quite a few coil faiures on those and the life of the bit plating was not great, are the cartridges for the later models more reliable?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf