Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17492854 times)

enut11, flash2b, abeyer, smaultre and 116 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69150 on: September 11, 2020, 03:01:41 pm »
Today 19 years ago I was trying to work from home and found it was almost impossible to work as most people were, like me keeping one eye on the TV in sheer disbelief at what was unfolding and I for one hope that we never have to watch similar scenes ever again. I still can't comprehend that any sane person could carry out such a disgusting attack on so many innocent people who were just going about their normal activities.  :palm: My brother-in-law was actually on his way to work on the train at the time and his office was just round the corner, and we were very concerned about his safety, but luckily he was running late on that day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:05:19 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #69151 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:00 pm »
can tell you exactly where i was 19 years ago today.

in the bowling alley at giebelstadt army airfield.  a local national tech was showing us a biggish com closet that he said should work as the location for a proposed fiber optic node for that end of the post.  noticed that people were starting to crowd around a tv that was on.  then the local guy answered his phone and said he had to go because they were activating the patriot battery on the other side of the flight line.

wtf?

it turned into a very weird day.

I didn't pay too much attention to the first report, since it isn't the first time planes have hit NY skyscrapers.

The second plane got my attention.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69152 on: September 11, 2020, 03:17:16 pm »
If anyone interested in a FLUKE 8840A ... this does not seem expensive...

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/FLUKE-8840A-Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohmmeter-Multimeter-750V-50-60-Hz/363097496464

I'm always leery when they post oodles of pics, but most of them are just copies of the same one or two shots. And listed as working, but not one pic of it lit up tells me probably you can't read the display with a single light on in the room. :palm:

mnem
*huggles his 189 close*
Yup, I got mine at the time from All-Test in Farmingdale, advertised as spares/repair and shown powered up, complete with GPIB module and the 09 (AC) module fitted and I paid £38 but the shipping and import tax took it up to £103 in total.  The display was showing something like 140mV DC which is normal for those meters with very high input impedances. All I had to do was clean it well and tap out a few small dents to the case. It was still meeting its accuracy for reading as well, I love my Flukes and I'm so happy that have that and a 8842A in my collection as well. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69153 on: September 11, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »
Today 19 years ago I was trying to work from home and found it was almost impossible to work as most people were, like me keeping one eye on the TV in sheer disbelief at what was unfolding and I for one hope that we never have to watch similar scenes ever again. I still can't comprehend that any sane person could carry out such a disgusting attack on so many innocent people who were just going about their normal activities.  :palm: My brother-in-law was actually on his way to work on the train at the time and his office was just round the corner, and we were very concerned about his safety, but luckily he was running late on that day.

That reminds me. I got stuck in the whole 7/7 shit show at Farringdon. I walked home in the end - took 4 and a half hours  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69154 on: September 11, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »

Since some time I'm having this one on my watchlist. Considered it for my basement. Disadvantage is: pick-up only.   

Oh, an off-by-one-error phone. Sweden has 0-9 on the dial. What kept me from doing this earlier was that the _very_ few SIP ATA boxes that do pulse dialling detection all are one pulse off. Except a fairly new one from Grandstream, which can be set for "Sweden", "New Zealand", and "Rest of the world" as far as pulse dialling detection goes.

Mmmmm...  I like it. A LOT. Making a working dialer would be a worthwhile Arduino project fer sherr. >:D

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

Tsk, tsk. The only acceptable way to build a pulse count adapter for that would be relay logic. Bonus points if you can construct it out of old Strowager units.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69155 on: September 11, 2020, 03:41:52 pm »

Oh I can understand it, but that is not the same thing as condoning it. You only have to consider the history of what America (and let us not forget Britain too) have done to and in the Arab world, with effective impunity, to understand why individuals from nations in that milieux, that have never really been able to resist or fight back conventionally, would opt for that kind of asymmetric warfare. It stands to reason that if you maltreat enough people for long enough that there's going to be some of the maltreated who crack and lash out; in a sense it was inevitable given the history. That, as I say, doesn't justify it, but it does make it understandable.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69156 on: September 11, 2020, 04:04:51 pm »
I'm a Brit but 19 years ago I was near Minneapolis on a business trip (working on a prototype machine we had built for 3M). I was in the hotel breakfast area, the bar in the evening. The televisions were on over the bar but with no sound. At first we thought it was a trailer for a movie.
My trip got extended  :(

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69157 on: September 11, 2020, 04:08:45 pm »
On a totally different topic, as I've just started prep. for dinner:

~Chez Cerebus~
Friday Evening Menu

Entree

Toad in the hole
Sage and onion gravy
Steamed carrots and Mangetout
Roast Potatoes

Dessert

Lemon Tart

Drinks

"Jam Shed" Shiraz - South Eastern Australia 2019

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69158 on: September 11, 2020, 04:39:31 pm »

Oh I can understand it, but that is not the same thing as condoning it. You only have to consider the history of what America (and let us not forget Britain too) have done to and in the Arab world, with effective impunity, to understand why individuals from nations in that milieux, that have never really been able to resist or fight back conventionally, would opt for that kind of asymmetric warfare. It stands to reason that if you maltreat enough people for long enough that there's going to be some of the maltreated who crack and lash out; in a sense it was inevitable given the history. That, as I say, doesn't justify it, but it does make it understandable.

Nor was this ultimate outcome in any way an accident. There were too many people in place in too many places already prepared to turn it into an excuse for the coup d'état over democratic rule which America is now suffering, and too many people warning them over and over that exactly THIS was coming.

When will we stop blaming the dog for biting the leg that keeps kicking it?

mnem
I'm no conspiracy theorist... I just refuse to hide my head in the sand when one is going on all around us.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69159 on: September 11, 2020, 04:42:21 pm »

~Chez Cerebus~
Friday Evening Menu

Entree

Toad in the hole
Sage and onion gravy
Roast Potatoes

Dessert

Lemon Tart

Drinks

It's Pizza Friday, so this is served:

Pizza using Coop dough and sauce (not as good as Lidl, but quite OK)
with
Mincemeat and spice
or
Chorizo and Onion

Drinks:

Lidl Perlenbacher
Soft drinks

Saturday is our experiments day, so there's more likely to be something interesting tomorrow.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69160 on: September 11, 2020, 04:43:43 pm »

Since some time I'm having this one on my watchlist. Considered it for my basement. Disadvantage is: pick-up only.   

Oh, an off-by-one-error phone. Sweden has 0-9 on the dial. What kept me from doing this earlier was that the _very_ few SIP ATA boxes that do pulse dialling detection all are one pulse off. Except a fairly new one from Grandstream, which can be set for "Sweden", "New Zealand", and "Rest of the world" as far as pulse dialling detection goes.

Mmmmm...  I like it. A LOT. Making a working dialer would be a worthwhile Arduino project fer sherr. >:D

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

Tsk, tsk. The only acceptable way to build a pulse count adapter for that would be relay logic. Bonus points if you can construct it out of old Strowager units.

Sure... if there was any such thing as land lines left anywhere.  >:D

I'd need bluetooth connectivity, so PlopDuino is the first solution that comes to mind. Or maybe one of the original Pis, since they're now actually about as cheap.

mnem
*poot!*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69161 on: September 11, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »
When will we stop blaming the dog for biting the leg that keeps kicking it?

mnem

History tells us, we won't.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69162 on: September 11, 2020, 05:00:41 pm »

Sure... if there was any such thing as land lines left anywhere.  >:D

I'd need bluetooth connectivity, so PlopDuino is the first solution that comes to mind. Or maybe one of the original Pis, since they're now actually about as cheap.

When there are no land lines left, you build your own. I've got a selection of ATA boxen that do various imitations of CO connections, a SIP account with a provider giving me termination of my E.164 landline number and a POTS transit, and an Asterisk running in a local VM to serve as PABX. The old rotaries are connected on the ATA box that can do Swedish pulse interpretation, and another ATA box for the burglar alarm. All other phones are Snom SIP phones, some with DECT handsets, and some Ethernet desktops.

I've not taken the time to do more than a basic setup, but I've got local calling working, and the other extensions on speed dial from the desk phones. There's a hunt group so all phones ring on externally originated calls.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69163 on: September 11, 2020, 05:04:11 pm »

That was what my late Mum always told me that the Americans and for that part, we also did some terrible things around the world, but our part pales into insignificance compared to the Americans doings. She always said that they deserved all the hatred that was focused in their direction and was never surprised when bad things happened to them.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69164 on: September 11, 2020, 05:04:30 pm »

~Chez Cerebus~
Friday Evening Menu

Entree

Toad in the hole
Sage and onion gravy
Roast Potatoes

Dessert

Lemon Tart

Drinks

:-// ?

:-+ :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #69165 on: September 11, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »

the conflict between Arabs and Americans goes back a long time and it was not the Americans that started it.

Kidnapping sailors from merchant vessels and holding them for ransom or selling them as slaves is not a friendly act. When trying to negotiate peace, the arab response was:
It was written in their Koran, (that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise). He said, also, that the man who was the first to board a vessel had one slave over and above his share, and that when they sprang to the deck of an enemy's ship, every sailor held a dagger in each hand and a third in his mouth; which usually struck such terror into the foe that they cried out for quarter at once.[24]

see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

while enslaving Africans is by no means acceptable (see American history), neither is piracy and kidnapping of sailors.

There have been many atrocities committed by various arab groups, especially Black September, who marauded in Jordan and forced King Hussein into action, when they kidnapped 4 US airplanes and blew them up. King Hussein had to show the world that he was still in charge of the country and threw them out.

Anyway. trying to invade Afghanistan was a stupid idea and a huge mistake by George Bush.
Still I cannot condone or understand the senseless murder of others just based on them not being muslims.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69166 on: September 11, 2020, 05:12:11 pm »
The HP 5335A counter arrived
Box looks a bit small
Hmm folded paper and a few air bags, the ones at the rear burst :(

Any bets?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69167 on: September 11, 2020, 05:13:24 pm »
@ Saskia Well that puts a new slant on things and conflicts with what I have always been told. Goes to show, that we can all learn something new every day :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69168 on: September 11, 2020, 05:16:52 pm »
Box looks a bit small

Any bets?
That packing is woefully inadequate, especially given its size and weight/ Those big airbags only work with small lightweight item, common sense it seems is fast becoming very rare indeed.
Who let Murphy in?

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #69169 on: September 11, 2020, 05:20:43 pm »
Inside my new CAMBRIDGE DAC, unfortunately I do not see to much upgrade/hack stuff... The WM8740 seems to be the best...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #69170 on: September 11, 2020, 05:21:47 pm »
Box looks a bit small

Any bets?

Good thing it had those rack handles, otherwise the knobs would likely have been smashed in.  I don't understand how anyone can look at that and think "yep - that instrument is well packaged and safe to ship!"    |O |O |O

Fecking idiots!  Fingers crossed that it's undamaged.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69171 on: September 11, 2020, 05:24:24 pm »
@ Saskia Well that puts a new slant on things and conflicts with what I have always been told. Goes to show, that we can all learn something new every day :-DD :-DD

I am not condoning everything my Country has done post WW2 but I do know this.....someone had to play world traffic cop and by default we were elected. And when you're the cop you're going to make enemies. And do dumb things. There's a whole bucket list of dumb things. But I do know this...if it weren't for a little incident in a certain harbor on a certain Pacific island you all would be speaking Deutsch today.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:33:23 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #69172 on: September 11, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »
please go ahead.
my favorite test CD is Lincoln Mayorga, The missing Linc Vol II, Sheffield Lab

Forgive me it's not a FLAC, but WAV, click here.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69173 on: September 11, 2020, 05:30:39 pm »
@Specmaster

if you want some info on the conflict, it is well explained on the DVD https://www.amazon.de/Im-Fadenkreuz-Mossad/dp/B000NVLHQC

This DVD outlines the atrocities committed by Black September, from which the Palestinian Liberation Army evolved.
It also covers the Black September attack on the Olympic village in Munich, the hijacking of various airliners, the Entebbe incident (in which the commander of the Israeli commando unit was killed. His name: Jonathan Netanyahu. Incidentally the brother of Benjamin Netanyahu. It also outlines the role of the Rote Armee Fraktion, a German, East Germany funded, stalinist terror organization which was directly involved in the attach on the olympic village in Munich, the hijacking of the Landshut (Mogadischu incident) plus the hijacking of the Air France airbus (Entebbe incident), plus the Israeli reaction and the reasoning behind it.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69174 on: September 11, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »

I am condoning everything my Country has done post WW2 but I do know this.....someone had to play world traffic cop and by default we were elected. And when you're the cop you're going to make enemies. And do dumb things. There's a whole bucket list of dumb things. But I do know this...if it weren't for a little incident in a certain harbor on a certain Pacific island you all would be speaking Deutsch today.

@med I visited Pearl Harbor and wept for the fallen. WW2 (and also WW1) was a terrible tragedy which caused so much grief and unnecessary pain.
I am still speaking Deutsch, but you are free to adopt me and sponsor me for permanent residency / naturalization. I'll try to improve my "simplified" English and work on my accent.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf