Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16752026 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68125 on: August 29, 2020, 06:30:30 am »
Let there be light. This triggers memories.

https://youtu.be/g_47mmt5SZY

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, scl, Specmaster

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #68126 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:07 am »
Might have been a bad batch but I have seen other devices using the HP bubble lens LED displays also failing in a similar manner.

If you look under the bubble lens there seems to be no coating on the LED dice and they are exposed to the atmosphere. Maybe moisture gets in and corrodes the connection between the bonding wire and the die.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68127 on: August 29, 2020, 07:16:08 am »
Amazing that the 7-segment displays in your '65 and '45 are still working.

In my '45 the segments gradually winked out one by one. I ended up having to replace all the display modules before the calculator reached its 5th birthday.

I'm the second owner of the HP-65...the prior owner bought it new and maintained it as-new. I have all the papers, accessories, and box. The only thing it needed was the gummy wheel fix, which was accomplished successfully. The 45 is a similar circumstance, except the prior owner is a close family member who gave it to me.

That's too bad about yours...maybe defective modules?
Nah, not defective, just worn out with them being switched on so long while the operator was busy looking for the = key  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Never had any problem with the absence of an = key. I have only ever owned and used RPN calculators.

A major advantage of using an RPN calculator is that nobody wants to borrow your calculator more than once.

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, bitseeker, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68128 on: August 29, 2020, 08:09:30 am »
Amazing that the 7-segment displays in your '65 and '45 are still working.

In my '45 the segments gradually winked out one by one. I ended up having to replace all the display modules before the calculator reached its 5th birthday.

I'm the second owner of the HP-65...the prior owner bought it new and maintained it as-new. I have all the papers, accessories, and box. The only thing it needed was the gummy wheel fix, which was accomplished successfully. The 45 is a similar circumstance, except the prior owner is a close family member who gave it to me.

That's too bad about yours...maybe defective modules?
Nah, not defective, just worn out with them being switched on so long while the operator was busy looking for the = key  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Never had any problem with the absence of an = key. I have only ever owned and used RPN calculators.

A major advantage of using an RPN calculator is that nobody wants to borrow your calculator more than once.

I've only had problems with an = key: if I pick up an unfamilar calculator, I can't predict how it will work.

At one stage I owned two Casio calculators that gave different answers to "1+2*3=". When sufficiently irritated by somebody's "differently abled" numerical abilities, I would give gave them both calculators and get them to enter the above sequence. The long-lasting bewilderment on their face was entertaining, albeit in a somewhat cruel way.

I wish I could claim I've become less cruel with age.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68129 on: August 29, 2020, 08:21:36 am »
quick update:
delivered Hubby safely to the medical rehab clinic ( for you mericns: that's heart rehab, not drug / alcohol withdrawal ...)

Went to Reichelt to get a bit distracted (there's nothing I can do for him while he's in the hospital)

Picked up a 32" UHD monitor, some mainboards, shitloads of SATA cables, and a WIHA wire stripper. I will let Neomys Sapiens have a closer look at it when I am back in the area.

Decided to do some more relaxation shopping and got a new camera (EOS R) on a whim (i.e. without thinking to much about the monetary consequences). Big mistake. Optical shit is bloody expensive.

Anyway, at least my lenses will continue to work on this critter. Otherwise I would probably return it ...

Decided to drive to the coast, will leave on Monday. Will try to get some exercise to regain lost strength for when hubby is getting out of the clinic.

Will go Hamburger feasting with my daughter tomorrow.

Then start arranging my stuff and crosschecking the TA-E 86, I brought the good one along and want to test, if it is really the TA-E 86 acting up, or something else.

I might have WiFi at the airbnb I'll be staying at so that I hopefully don't have to fight through 800 pages when I get back.

Do they make L series glass for the EOS R?  I've been avoiding looking at them, and figure I'll stick with my DSLRs, but am certainly interested in your thoughts on it.  Have an early M with an EF adapter, too - it looks ridiculous with a big SLR lens on it.

-Pat

Better a big lens on a APS sensor than a tiny one on a big sensor.
My first DSLR was a 20D when it had just come out. The results wilth L lenses are still excellent despite the low pixel coumt by modern standards. Got a very good deal on a M100 kit last year and very happy with it as a carry-around. Looks a bit like a modern professional movie camera with an EF lens on.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68130 on: August 29, 2020, 08:25:40 am »
I used to have a mid range Nikon DSLR. Got fed up with lugging it. Also can’t justify it as phones have got cameras good enough to replace entry level DSLRs now although I’d like a bit more glass in front of the camera myself.

Ikea round two today. Not sure if I’ll be on discord tonight after that nightmare  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68131 on: August 29, 2020, 08:42:31 am »
I used to have a mid range Nikon DSLR. Got fed up with lugging it. Also can’t justify it as phones have got cameras good enough to replace entry level DSLRs now although I’d like a bit more glass in front of the camera myself.

Ikea round two today. Not sure if I’ll be on discord tonight after that nightmare  :-DD

Perhaps you can use the 25 to bludgeon a path through.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68132 on: August 29, 2020, 08:44:01 am »
Huh, did you break your Fluke hammer ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68133 on: August 29, 2020, 08:45:42 am »

You clearly are moving in the wrong circles then, loads of people here on this forum would certainly want to  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68134 on: August 29, 2020, 08:50:52 am »

Perhaps you can use the 25 to bludgeon a path through.

That’s not a bad idea. I did consider buying another one. Then I can tape them to a broom handle and own the universe.

Huh, did you break your Fluke hammer ?  :-//

Nah. I’m redoing the teenagers’ bedroom. We did beds and furniture by Ikea delivery. Now I’ve got to go back and get all the accessories and miscellaneous shit. Bringing eldest as she’s in charge of decor and accessories.

The fluke is absolutely fine. In fact I was just buzzing a gouged PCB out with it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #68135 on: August 29, 2020, 09:07:28 am »
quick update:
delivered Hubby safely to the medical rehab clinic ( for you mericns: that's heart rehab, not drug / alcohol withdrawal ...)

Went to Reichelt to get a bit distracted (there's nothing I can do for him while he's in the hospital)

Picked up a 32" UHD monitor, some mainboards, shitloads of SATA cables, and a WIHA wire stripper. I will let Neomys Sapiens have a closer look at it when I am back in the area.

Decided to do some more relaxation shopping and got a new camera (EOS R) on a whim (i.e. without thinking to much about the monetary consequences). Big mistake. Optical shit is bloody expensive.

Anyway, at least my lenses will continue to work on this critter. Otherwise I would probably return it ...

Decided to drive to the coast, will leave on Monday. Will try to get some exercise to regain lost strength for when hubby is getting out of the clinic.

Will go Hamburger feasting with my daughter tomorrow.

Then start arranging my stuff and crosschecking the TA-E 86, I brought the good one along and want to test, if it is really the TA-E 86 acting up, or something else.

I might have WiFi at the airbnb I'll be staying at so that I hopefully don't have to fight through 800 pages when I get back.

Do they make L series glass for the EOS R?  I've been avoiding looking at them, and figure I'll stick with my DSLRs, but am certainly interested in your thoughts on it.  Have an early M with an EF adapter, too - it looks ridiculous with a big SLR lens on it.

-Pat

Better a big lens on a APS sensor than a tiny one on a big sensor.
My first DSLR was a 20D when it had just come out. The results wilth L lenses are still excellent despite the low pixel coumt by modern standards. Got a very good deal on a M100 kit last year and very happy with it as a carry-around. Looks a bit like a modern professional movie camera with an EF lens on.

My first DSLR was a 10D in 2004.  Of course, about two or three months after I got it the 20D came out.  I got my first hit of lens crack with the 10D, too, as I bought a 24-70 f/2.8L to go with it.  About a year later I sold my boss the 10D and the 35-105 I'd gotten with my EOS 620 back in 1988, and put the proceeds towards a 20D.  Got more addicted to lens crack in '08 or '09 with my discovery of a company that rented lenses, then rotated them out and sold them as used after a while.  They kept them in great condition and are scrupulously honest in their descriptions - great way to get high end glass while saving some $$ and knowing it will be in good shape (lensrentals.com is the rental side, and lensauthority.com is the used gear sales side).  They're in Tennessee if I remember correctly.  The 20D is buried in a drawer in case I ever get inclined to replace its shutter - wore it out doing time lapses when my house was renovated.

Somewhere hidden away in a file is a picture of the EOS M1 on a tripod set up to take moon shots - it's on a fully extended 100-400mm L zoom, with 2x and 1.4x teleconverters and the M to EF adapter.  The camera looks rather comically small, like someone stuck a cigarette pack on the back of a howitzer.  I'll look and see if I can find it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68136 on: August 29, 2020, 10:55:36 am »
Look what followed me home the other day ...

No need to get too excited, though. Before I stacked them up for the photo session, I removed these:

Not that I had really space for them, or that my repair queue wasn't already long enough ... But I might be able to get these older, linear PSUs fixed without too much trouble, and those R&S units are nice to have!

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68137 on: August 29, 2020, 11:36:25 am »
... well, those R&S are really classic technology and easy to repair ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68138 on: August 29, 2020, 11:37:40 am »
Look what followed me home the other day ...

No need to get too excited, though. Before I stacked them up for the photo session, I removed these:

Not that I had really space for them, or that my repair queue wasn't already long enough ... But I might be able to get these older, linear PSUs fixed without too much trouble, and those R&S units are nice to have!
Very nice haul, more dumpster diving  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68139 on: August 29, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »

You clearly are moving in the wrong circles then, loads of people here on this forum would certainly want to  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I would expect all members of this forum to have their own selection of calculators and have no need to borrow someone else's.

Anyone who doesn't have their own calculator or, worse still, uses an app on a cellphone or PC  should be drummed out of this forum.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68140 on: August 29, 2020, 01:23:00 pm »
I will be on Discord later today.

So yesterday I wanted to use the Type 1A2 Vertical plug-in in the Type 535A. When I purchased it a few months ago it worked fine and just need some slight gain and compensation adjustments. Pulled the Type CA plug-in and installed the Type 1A2. I was greeted with a badly distorted waveform on Channel 1 and Channel 2 is completely missing in action. WTH? Pull it out, check it over. Nothing obvious. Back in. Same symptoms. Put CA back in. All OK.

So in order to troubleshoot this I need to completely clear bench 2 and lay the 535A on it side and remove the bottom plate to gain access to the 1A2 circuitry. FML. Yep....this jackassery. I'm in no hurry.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68141 on: August 29, 2020, 01:59:53 pm »

I would expect all members of this forum to have their own selection of calculators and have no need to borrow someone else's.

Anyone who doesn't have their own calculator or, worse still, uses an app on a cellphone or PC  should be drummed out of this forum.

Well, away from my PC I could use either of my two HP32S (50th anniversary edition) or my HP35.

Apart from that I disagree, provided it looks like this, or very similar...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:03:40 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68142 on: August 29, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »

I do that (use Free42 in the phone) all the time, but I've got my calculator (Sharp EL506p, bought 1985, still on original batteries) at the ready in my computer backpack all the time.

I'm shopping groceries for my parents who isolate at home and most often I end up ringing their part of the receipt up in dc on the computer.  That's a nice calculator.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68143 on: August 29, 2020, 02:43:57 pm »

-Pat

Y'all are juss killin' me widdis photo; every time I see it, for a moment I think a kitten laid a Canon-branded doody-bomb... 'e even has that expression on 'is furry li'l face. :-DD

mnem
Hey, I've seen worse in commercials on PrimeTime broadcast TV. :palm:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:45:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68144 on: August 29, 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
Survived Ikea  :phew:. Will be on Discord after all

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68145 on: August 29, 2020, 02:53:44 pm »
You still haven't survived the assembly part of your assignment.  >:D

mnem
"Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68146 on: August 29, 2020, 02:59:43 pm »
Survived Ikea  :phew:. Will be on Discord after all

The worst thing with Ikea these days is that the restaurant is closed!  We went earlier in the summer, and had to skip the meatballs ritual.

When we were on vacation a couple years back, we passed an Ikea in Germany somewhere (Perhaps Osnabrück, IIRC we took Autobahn 1), around lunch time, and decided, WTH, let's get meatballs. They did not accept credit cards in the restaurant  :o, and since we'd gotten off the overnight ferry from Sweden that morning, we had no Euros. Luckily enough, there was a Kreissparkasse or something ATM in the store entrance.  :phew:

Also, they responded less than well to us ordering in Swedish. But, that was just an experiment!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68147 on: August 29, 2020, 03:08:59 pm »
Restaurant was open here today. I skipped it but did neck some Gifflars on the way back  :-DD

Now on to laser printers ... Xerox B215 looking like the least shit option for the budget. Duplex, scan, copy, wireless, not too large, 1.6p/sheet, doesn't come with a half empty toner.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68148 on: August 29, 2020, 03:09:47 pm »
You still haven't survived the assembly part of your assignment.  >:D

mnem
"Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."

I have delegated that to my 16 year old underling who assembled two Kallax units and a bed the other day under supervision. She is perfectly capable now. Must have done something right as a parent  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68149 on: August 29, 2020, 03:10:50 pm »
Never had any problem with the absence of an = key. I have only ever owned and used RPN calculators. A major advantage of using an RPN calculator is that nobody wants to borrow your calculator more than once.
I would expect all members of this forum to have their own selection of calculators and have no need to borrow someone else's. Anyone who doesn't have their own calculator or, worse still, uses an app on a cellphone or PC  should be drummed out of this forum.

I do that (use Free42 in the phone) all the time, but I've got my calculator (Sharp EL506p, bought 1985, still on original batteries) at the ready in my computer backpack all the time.

I'm shopping groceries for my parents who isolate at home and most often I end up ringing their part of the receipt up in dc on the computer.  That's a nice calculator.
Lick me.   >:D   I have multiple such adding machines, a mix of RPN and of the addle-brained variety, and I STILL use apps on my smartPwn AND calc.exe on my WINDOZE PC.  :P

I've had Free42 on my smartPwn for almost a year (ever since the first time you mentioned it in thread) and it still has the little red dot next to it...  :palm: In my defense, I also have 48SX which I have used more than a few times...

mnem
*click-click-clicky-clickety-click... click!!!*        Ummm...  :o
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:13:09 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf