Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16763113 times)

RolandK, duckduck, klab, flash2b, jemotrain, Vince, wkb and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67700 on: August 25, 2020, 09:19:53 am »
Guys & gals, from TEA's perspective   >:D, an Extech programmable ac source, is it a good replacement for my variac ?  :palm:

With a few specific exceptions, it'll run circles around your variac. So just go for it if the price tag looks acceptable.

Can it function as an isolation device from the mains too?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67701 on: August 25, 2020, 09:22:40 am »
When you can't afford to pay your electricity bill after buying it, then yes :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67702 on: August 25, 2020, 09:24:09 am »
Guys & gals, from TEA's perspective   >:D, an Extech programmable ac source, is it a good replacement for my variac ?  :palm:

With a few specific exceptions, it'll run circles around your variac. So just go for it if the price tag looks acceptable.

Depends. Most probably, one wouldn't consider it as an safety isolation device but functional isolation (ground / neutral loop breaking) might be within the range. Reading the manual is required, note your "standard" variac doesn't isolate.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67703 on: August 25, 2020, 09:26:50 am »

Depends. Most probably, one wouldn't consider it as an safety isolation device but functional isolation (ground / neutral loop breaking) might be within the range. Reading the manual is required, note your "standard" variac doesn't isolate.

I know a standard variac doesn't isolate the mains which is why I asked. If this unit does it almost, but not quite, makes it worth the premium price.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67704 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:23 am »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67705 on: August 25, 2020, 09:34:04 am »

I know a standard variac doesn't isolate the mains which is why I asked. If this unit does it almost, but not quite, makes it worth the premium price.

Mine does.  :-+

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67706 on: August 25, 2020, 09:34:07 am »

To me, it's worthiness is more in its other strengths, like variable frequency and voltage, independence from mains impedance and waveform, overload protection, for the more recent models various sophisticated and accurate readouts of load current and consumed power, sometimes it can be used as a variable DC source also, ...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67707 on: August 25, 2020, 09:35:48 am »
Mine does.  :-+

Yes, I know. I've used this model at a former employer.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #67708 on: August 25, 2020, 09:37:47 am »

I gotta man up too today for the Lincoln plasma cutter on the bench that has some fault in the cutting arc supply.
Mains bridge, IGBT's or drive circuit IDK but will carefully work my way through it.
Gotta theory of operation overview diagram only that's little different from what I imagined anyways.

Shitty wet day in NZ today and been working on this ^.
Found a service manual online with a reasonably detailed circuit layout and a good amount of test points to help you find areas where faults might be.
Lincoln Procut25
https://www.red-d-arc.com/pdf/Procut25%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Much poking and prodding ensued until I came across a 12V miniature DPDT relay with a dimple in its hat.  :o
It's listed as RL1 on P25 and apparently controls the HF start arc but with its guts cooked some so the NO contacts remain closed the unit fails to start as safety circuits kick in to prevent it.

Replace the relay, easy one might think but not.  :rant:
Tried RS, E14, Digikey and Mouser so far but not finished although I am for today.  :=\

> Finder Type 40.61 16A 230VAC rating. 12V 205 ohm coil <

Some are close but most are all around a pigs arse but no pork !  :-//  :horse:

Need to get this one done as a really interesting power control module from a 13 KW 3 axis programmable mill awaits.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #67709 on: August 25, 2020, 09:57:20 am »

According to the datasheet (attached below), no isolation.

But ... I do have one .. two  >:D 1KVA isolation transformers on my disposal ... hoards.  :palm:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #67710 on: August 25, 2020, 09:57:54 am »
Re the AC power supply - I have one and I use it quite a bit - esp for powering dodgy-just repaired - old gear. Can do mixed AC DC supply with cut off current limits and vary frequency as well. They typically ask for a kidney type price - but I would hang on to mine like crazy. Much better than a variac.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67711 on: August 25, 2020, 09:59:33 am »
Just sniped a bargain:
16 pieces of 1k resistors, Vishay S102C (Y00071K00000T9L) 0.01% for ca. 77 Euro.   :-+

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133490619724

I've just snagged 80 0.03% resistors between 100mohm and 1Mohm for £34+35%. They are ready mounted on switches with a 2mohm resistance, and in a nice enclosure with the legend "JJ Instruments R802 Resistance Box".  There were 4 other examples, which went for £50-80+35%. I'm not sure why I was lucky; the only visible reason is that mine was upside down on the shelf :)

Well, I got that sort-of wrong.

There I was thinking I'd have a nice little resistance box to put on the shelf on top of my HP3468a or new Agilent 34410A. But, ... not quite ...

I'll have to build a shelf for that pit prop.

Still, at least they are 0.03% resistors, 2mOhm switches, and 25mohm excess resistance.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67712 on: August 25, 2020, 10:02:53 am »
Ahh you got the manufacturer tools for it  :-+
Some but not all and they didn't come from the factory.  ;)
Also some key press sequences for 'special' tasks also that we share between distributors....they are official but secret.  :-X

My software usually has stuff like that built into it. Usually helps with getting invoices paid down the line  :-DD :-DD
You must be a tough nut to deal with bd as I have zero issues here.
You wanna the goods you pays up front !  :P

Only exception is for the military and their rules....payment under 7 days from receipt of goods....and they always do !  :clap:

Indeed, if you don't pay bd's invoice his software bursts into flames.  :o :-DD
And takes the hardware with it for good measure, ensures payment is made in the future  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67713 on: August 25, 2020, 10:06:03 am »
Quote from: Specmaster link=topic=81471.msg3202

[quote author=med6753 link=topic=81471.msg3202786#msg3202786 date=1598264233
Item stated "Please study the photos for exact item condition". Thus return has been started.

Consumer law here is pretty hardcore so they don't have a choice but to accept the return.
That wording alone should result in good outcome for you.  :-+

If that's the case then I would have to agree too. "Not as pictured"

Edit....hopefully it doesn't turn into a pissing contest like dragon had with that Fluke meter.

Will see what happens  >:(

And?
It's easy to see that the weekend with the lady cop has fully recharged your batteries, you're in overdrive now.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67714 on: August 25, 2020, 10:59:09 am »
Ahh you got the manufacturer tools for it  :-+
Some but not all and they didn't come from the factory.  ;)
Also some key press sequences for 'special' tasks also that we share between distributors....they are official but secret.  :-X

My software usually has stuff like that built into it. Usually helps with getting invoices paid down the line  :-DD :-DD
You must be a tough nut to deal with bd as I have zero issues here.
You wanna the goods you pays up front !  :P

Only exception is for the military and their rules....payment under 7 days from receipt of goods....and they always do !  :clap:

Indeed, if you don't pay bd's invoice his software bursts into flames.  :o :-DD

Gah it’s so difficult getting paid here. Even inside invoice terms. Part of British culture is bureaucracy via semi intentional incompetence. This is true of most countries but the British have turned it into a fine art. All it takes is a purchase order going missing and you have to wait an entire nanosecond for the internal pissing match to turn into an invoice not being paid. Every company I have dealt with is either that or run by someone who is either so deep in the shit that they’re paying the most threatening invoice first or had no intention of paying it on time to start with. 

Salaried now which is nice, especially as they pay on time :phew:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67715 on: August 25, 2020, 11:01:18 am »

Got an offer locally, and so worry of YALBOA.  ::)

40 - 500Hz Full Range Adjust

:-*
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67716 on: August 25, 2020, 11:03:49 am »
Just sniped a bargain:
16 pieces of 1k resistors, Vishay S102C (Y00071K00000T9L) 0.01% for ca. 77 Euro.   :-+

I've just snagged 80 0.03% resistors between 100mohm and 1Mohm for £34+35%. They are ready mounted on switches with a 2mohm resistance, and in a nice enclosure with the legend "JJ Instruments R802 Resistance Box".  There were 4 other examples, which went for £50-80+35%. I'm not sure why I was lucky; the only visible reason is that mine was upside down on the shelf :)

There I was thinking I'd have a nice little resistance box to put on the shelf on top of my HP3468a or new Agilent 34410A. But, ... not quite ...

Still, at least they are 0.03% resistors, 2mOhm switches, and 25mohm excess resistance.

That’s quite funny. It certainly is an excessively large unit!

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67717 on: August 25, 2020, 11:05:45 am »
Just sniped a bargain:

Did not know HP made such small meter... :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67718 on: August 25, 2020, 11:06:41 am »
Just sniped a bargain:

Surely the 4mm Binding Posts should have given you an idea. That's how I judge the size of unknown equipment.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67719 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:36 am »
He probably thought they were 2mm binding posts  :popcorn: :-DD

To be fair that’s about the size of the Brennenstuhl socket block I bought and thought it would be much smaller too  :-DD

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67720 on: August 25, 2020, 11:13:40 am »
allway dificult to see on piuctures, and if you want it bad, your mind will F* you too also...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67721 on: August 25, 2020, 11:20:19 am »
Just sniped a bargain:

Did not know HP made such small meter... :-DD
Of course you do Tony, its the same size at the front as your HP3478A but not as deep being as it is portable as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #67722 on: August 25, 2020, 11:32:23 am »

LOL  :-DD

Thank you.  I needed that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67723 on: August 25, 2020, 12:56:55 pm »
Just got paid this morning so got my baby back again after this year's earlier disaster :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67724 on: August 25, 2020, 01:04:01 pm »
Recidivist muthafu**** morning coffee:

03:30 - MS Flight Sim 2020 is Massive/Epic/Will EAT your Gaming Rig Alive  :scared: (But I knew this)...

How badly will MSFS maul your gaming rig? https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/microsoft-flight-simulator-(2020)-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,4.html...
Yeah, I can't believe I've been waiting over a decade for (essentially) this. I used to sim a lot back in the days when we'd get new ones on a regular basis and from more than one source.

I'm looking forward to a lot of VFR flying in this one now that we have the tech to make flying low and slow worthwhile. It looks amazing (except when it doesn't). Hopefully, they make enough to keep improving it.
Meh, I stick to X-Plane for now.
Condor Soaring, in my case. But then I like flying close to rocks and making use of them - and departing from controlled flight without the wings coming off.

Remote-controlled Condors...? They have a app for everything nowadays... :-DD   Altho arguably a good thing... you don't wanna get too close, they reek.  :P

I'm already running a 95th %-ile VR rig, so my beast should be just fine. My OMG was mostly that article stating they expect this single title to push enough people over the edge on upgrading that it will essentially drive $2.6B in HW sales over the next couple years... :o

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf