Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16758661 times)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66325 on: August 09, 2020, 10:31:54 pm »
SOLD! Please excuse me while I have a Ferengi moment and just enjoy the well-earned proceeds of two curb-score sewing machines...[/b][/color][/size][/i]  >:D

Well, you have enough money for a proper scope now! Good job with the sewing machine :-+
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:35:05 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66326 on: August 09, 2020, 10:34:47 pm »
Spotted on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274453423068?ul_noapp=true

I'll leave the photo in thumbnail mode, you take a glance and guess what brand the scope is and only then open the thumbnail to full size. Who? Yeah, I'd never hear of them either.

OK, fettled that a bit, the native thumbnail is a little too small for immediate recognition of what you'll think it is.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:41:30 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66327 on: August 09, 2020, 10:40:31 pm »
Well, you have enough money for a proper scope now! Good job with the sewing machine :-+
Yes, I made a mint too. ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66328 on: August 09, 2020, 10:43:16 pm »
Thrashing your 7 year old nephew at Monopoly doesn't quite have the same cachet to it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66329 on: August 09, 2020, 10:44:03 pm »
Yes, I made a mint too. ;D

I recommend investing in Illinois Avenue. Really popular apparently.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66330 on: August 09, 2020, 10:46:28 pm »
It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflected raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

And in this case, the CRT is in like new condition, so random age-rather-than-hours related HV failures set aside, should serve its purpose as long as its owner does.

Though... I suppose next time I have window of availability for a random boredom project, I can reverse engineer the thing and figure out a interface for LCD as a backup. This thing has a flat-screen CRT; mechanically, LCD retrofit should be as simple as those HP SA kits we were talking about a few months back.

mnem
*off to sell a sewing machine*

See second last page of the CLIP PDF for the 54601. Same CRT. First PDF in list:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=HP_Agilent/HP_54601_Digital_Storage_Oscilloscope

Not sure of the interface but it has vsync, hsync, HHB, HFB connections at TTL levels and sucks up 5v and 12v and that’s it. Probably something LCD off the shelf can get chucked in it. Never looked at it. The CRT modules are well known for the caps drying out though so check them. The troublesome ones are at the fat end of the CRT to the left looking at the rear of the unit.

Thanks. I did a quick visual before the live fire test (to make sure I didn't get to meet any live fire ;)) and they all look pristine without trace of leakage on the PCB. But... livestock, etc. I should def check and probably replace all the DC rail caps at least; but I see that as an issue that can wait til after the move.  :-+

24 kHz line and 60Hz frame. A Gonbes GBS-8200 converter and 7" bare VGA display should be a almost turn key solution.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure what would be right. I believe I recall reading somewhere that it uses a 1000-line display; so what; 1280 x 960 in 4:3 aspect? I can't remember the last time I saw that in the wild. ???

(SNIP)
mnem
 :-/O

ummmmm.  just a thought.

while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)

replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)

but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

That... is a question for when I replace caps in the thing. ;) I did notice a label on the back stating it contains a BR1225 coin cell; pretty sure that means NVRAM battery will be replaceable. May need some soldering, of course.

Hmmm... that warranty label appears OEM issue; maybe the Agilent-branded handle IS original.  :-//

These points are also something I can get into after the move; in the meantime, just going to love it and use it as needed. :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:49:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66331 on: August 09, 2020, 10:52:57 pm »
SOLD! Please excuse me while I have a Ferengi moment and just enjoy the well-earned proceeds of two curb-score sewing machines...[/b][/color][/size][/i]  >:D

Thanks! and  :P *pppppttttttbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbblllllle!!!* for the proper scope remark.

Actually, more than a bit taken aback nobody in this crowd had a pithy remark aboot the fart gun... it too was part of the spoils. As was the BarfBerry PlayBook that took flying lessons the other day. >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:09:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66332 on: August 09, 2020, 11:00:37 pm »
Spotted on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274453423068?ul_noapp=true

I'll leave the photo in thumbnail mode, you take a glance and guess what brand the scope is and only then open the thumbnail to full size. Who? Yeah, I'd never hear of them either.

OK, fettled that a bit, the native thumbnail is a little too small for immediate recognition of what you'll think it is.

Pretty sure it's a rebadged Siglent; the cheesy pastel colors and egg-shaped buttons are almost a trademark of theirs. I was shopping them quite a bit after I let that Owon-Lilliput 200MHz on Arrow get away.  :palm:

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66333 on: August 09, 2020, 11:05:34 pm »
Thrashing your 7 year old nephew at Monopoly doesn't quite have the same cachet to it.
I didn't actually win but made him say uncle. It's all funny money anyway. Just look at those Snow Mexican pesos!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:10:07 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66334 on: August 09, 2020, 11:06:35 pm »
Pretty sure it's a rebadged Siglent; the cheesy pastel colors and egg-shaped buttons are almost a trademark of theirs. I was shopping them quite a bit after I let that Owon-Lilliput 200MHz on Arrow get away.  :palm:

mnem
That's blatantly inspired by the Agilent styling of yesteryear.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:25:05 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66335 on: August 09, 2020, 11:07:18 pm »
It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflected raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

And in this case, the CRT is in like new condition, so random age-rather-than-hours related HV failures set aside, should serve its purpose as long as its owner does.

Though... I suppose next time I have window of availability for a random boredom project, I can reverse engineer the thing and figure out a interface for LCD as a backup. This thing has a flat-screen CRT; mechanically, LCD retrofit should be as simple as those HP SA kits we were talking about a few months back.

mnem
*off to sell a sewing machine*

See second last page of the CLIP PDF for the 54601. Same CRT. First PDF in list:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=HP_Agilent/HP_54601_Digital_Storage_Oscilloscope

Not sure of the interface but it has vsync, hsync, HHB, HFB connections at TTL levels and sucks up 5v and 12v and that’s it. Probably something LCD off the shelf can get chucked in it. Never looked at it. The CRT modules are well known for the caps drying out though so check them. The troublesome ones are at the fat end of the CRT to the left looking at the rear of the unit.

Thanks. I did a quick visual before the live fire test (to make sure I didn't get to meet any live fire ;)) and they all look pristine without trace of leakage on the PCB. But... livestock, etc. I should def check and probably replace all the DC rail caps at least; but I see that as an issue that can wait til after the move.  :-+

24 kHz line and 60Hz frame. A Gonbes GBS-8200 converter and 7" bare VGA display should be a almost turn key solution.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure what would be right. I believe I recall reading somewhere that it uses a 1000-line display; so what; 1280 x 960 in 4:3 aspect? I can't remember the last time I saw that in the wild. ???

(SNIP)
mnem

ummmmm.  just a thought.

while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)

replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)

but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

That... is a question for when I replace caps in the thing. ;) I did notice a label on the back stating it contains a BR1225 coin cell; pretty sure that means NVRAM battery will be replaceable. May need some soldering, of course.

Hmmm... that warranty label appears OEM issue; maybe the Agilent-branded handle IS original.  :-//

These points are also something I can get into after the move; in the meantime, just going to love it and use it as needed. :-+

mnem

hope you are right and they went with a replaceable battery.

if not you will have to deal with one of these bastards.

but if it dies no big deal.  you just have to do a cal every time you turn it on.

(and those encapsulated batteries do last decades longer than expected)
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66336 on: August 09, 2020, 11:11:45 pm »
Duly noted and loathed in advance if so.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:25:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66337 on: August 09, 2020, 11:19:03 pm »

Thanks! and  :P *pppppttttttbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbblllllle!!!* for the proper scope remark.

Actually, more than a bit taken aback nobody in this crowd had a pithy remark aboot the fart gun... it too was part of the spoils. As was the BarfBerry PlayBook that took flying lessons the other day. >:D

mnem
Errr....what? I thought that to be a portable hailer (Megaphon).

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66338 on: August 09, 2020, 11:23:18 pm »

mnem

I think "blatantly inspired" is being a little generous. I'd be tending to use thief-ier adjectives.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66339 on: August 09, 2020, 11:32:58 pm »

hehe I'm just kidding  :P also good job with your scope repair  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66340 on: August 09, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »
I think "blatantly inspired" is being a little generous. I'd be tending to use thief-ier adjectives.
One needs to leave some room for escalation.  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66341 on: August 09, 2020, 11:40:26 pm »

mnem

LOL... that's the exact scope I just found on eBay while trying to remember which of the Siglents your bastard child was: eBay auction: #233580713555

I was thinking of the SDS1202... but the egg-shaped buttons are sideways on that one. I'm sure Tautech will be along any minute now; at least mildly indignant and will probably be able to tell you off the top of his head who that thing is rebadged from.

mnem
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:05:23 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66342 on: August 10, 2020, 12:04:03 am »
SOLD! Please excuse me while I have a Ferengi moment and just enjoy the well-earned proceeds of two curb-score sewing machines...  >:D   

hehe I'm just kidding  :P also good job with your scope repair  :-+

Ahhh... was just razzin' ya back. Tho I think I MIGHT shop a cheap arb with those ill-gotten gains. DEF gonna save a few dollars for a NanoVNA... been 2 months and the promised 4" version still not out yet.  :P

mnem

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #66343 on: August 10, 2020, 12:59:33 am »
I was thinking of the SDS1202... but the egg-shaped buttons are sideways on that one. I'm sure Tautech will be along any minute now; at least mildly indignant and will probably be able to tell you off the top of his head who that thing is rebadged from.

mnem
Nah I can't sorry but I have seen that same layout before but not sure when.
If it is a rebadge it's not recent at all as the channel colors are very different to what Siglent use now which is Y, P, B and Green.

Maybe it's an early Rigol when they spun product for HPAK.

And FFS, a 7 page catchup.  :wtf:  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #66344 on: August 10, 2020, 01:14:38 am »
And FFS, a 7 page catchup.  :wtf:  :phew:
Med's unfinished painting, Mnem's old CRT/DSO fix, BD's, Spec's and Mnem's culinary skills and Saskia off fishing with E-lures from Zucca.  :o
Don't forget to put hooks on them and they'll work just fine.  :)

Have I missed some sure, but I'm not going back through them again or I'll never be up to date.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66345 on: August 10, 2020, 02:36:59 am »
Good thing there's currently no Grumpy Ol' Git award to pass around.   ;D

There was, but it's the kind of "win it three times and you get to keep the trophy forever" trophy. I believe it now graces a mantelpiece in Highland, New York.

:-DD Well played, C. well played.  :clap:

mnem
*Toddles off to watch some Linus videozz in the cooler office area*

Bite me.....both of you.  >:D >:D ;D

Raw? No thanks. We have to roast you first.

Glad to oblige. You'll need your conversational cutlery; I understand the liver and ovaries are where the poison is most highly concentrated...

mnem
Oh, and the eyeballs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:38:37 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66346 on: August 10, 2020, 02:45:20 am »

Jeezus H Christ a-hoppin' on a pogo stick... and I thought Intel was turning into a fucking Soap Opera.  :palm:

(You can tune out after the first article at 1:30 or so... Linus isn't pretty enough to carry the Weather Girl thing for very long.)

Now how does this affect Apple and their ARM plans...? I realize they're only licensing the IP... but still.  Can you hear my eyes ::) rolling from all the way over there...?

mnem
That's one bouncy Jeezus...!
Well it’s an iPad with a hinge and a shit keyboard. If it was any more I’d be pissed  :-DD   I’m out of shits to give about semiconductor company politics now  :-DD   
Well, no... I was talking about the first article in the vid; about NVIDIA buying ARM and all the US/China division . Seriously... like a fucking season of Dallas going on there.  :palm:

mnem
*going sane in a batshit-crazy world*

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66347 on: August 10, 2020, 03:05:23 am »
Had a barbecue with friends tonight.  It meant the Christmas lights around the back yard were on once the last of the sun went.  Out of curiosity after everyone went home, I broke out an older Agilent U1242A DMM with the old blue casing and blue backlighting and measured the voltages at the end of the long runs.

1044168-0

1044172-1

It’s dropping about 8-9 volts compared to back at the house but that’s long extension cords plus multiple strings of Christmas lights away from here.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66348 on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:45 am »
Measure it with the rotisserie plugged in. Bet it's dropping more than that. ;)

mnem
*heeds Hypnos' siren call* :=\

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66349 on: August 10, 2020, 03:24:09 am »
Had a barbecue with friends tonight.  It meant the Christmas lights around the back yard were on once the last of the sun went.  Out of curiosity after everyone went home, I broke out an older Agilent U1242A DMM with the old blue casing and blue backlighting and measured the voltages at the end of the long runs.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

It’s dropping about 8-9 volts compared to back at the house but that’s long extension cords plus multiple strings of Christmas lights away from here.
Apparently it drops only a 120V across an entire ocean. Imagine that.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf