Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16922412 times)

ch_scr and 160 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64800 on: July 29, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »
And here is one of today's examples, where it is conveniently ignored that being on the equator means the rocket starts at 1000mph.
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/07/uk-s-first-space-launch-could-take-place-in-early-2020s-government-says

I've always found the "you need to be on the equator to launch orbiting things" a bit specious. Yes, you get 1000 mph (0.4 km/s) for free, but that's a small part of the 7-8 kilometers per second that you need even for a low earth orbit (over 11 km/s for escape velocity). Sure, you use al least 10% more fuel (can't be bothered to work it out properly, it gets too calculusy for the back of a fag packet), or have a lower payload, but you gain convenience, launch from home territory (which has positive security implications) and you don't have to constantly ferry staff half way around the world.

The security argument is the one that holds water.

The Russians, launching from their territory, could only manage some very strange "Molniya orbits" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molniya_orbit

As for 10% more fuel, you need to be careful with simplistic assumptions.

Don't forget this is a government that gives shipping contracts to "ship-free" companies, buys surplus LEO satellites for a Gallileo replacement (cough cough), and expects the Chinese to continue to invest their cash in our infrastructure when we are excluding them from supplying kit for our infrastructure. The last point is political, but relevant.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64801 on: July 29, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »

[...]
Shipping is a killer anywhere these days.  The other week I got a quote of $350 to ship a box of fuel lines for my truck (that was more than the lines cost).  $65 is actually not all that bad considering.

Shipping charges are overdone by some sellers.

Recently, I sent two wheels (rims only) weighing 50lbs from East to West Coast, it cost $30 with FedEx which I thought was pretty reasonable in this day and age.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64802 on: July 29, 2020, 03:58:39 pm »
Please stop with the work related reminders of total frustration and wanting to throw shit. Retirement has been a year and half of complete bliss and I haven't thought of these ugly incidences and now they are floating around in my head.

Please, no more.....or I will have to kill someone.  |O |O |O :-DD

May I suggest some calming schadenfreude. Or, if you were British and wanted to be patriotic, "epicaricacy".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64803 on: July 29, 2020, 03:58:58 pm »

[...]
Shipping is a killer anywhere these days.  The other week I got a quote of $350 to ship a box of fuel lines for my truck (that was more than the lines cost).  $65 is actually not all that bad considering.

Shipping charges are overdone by some sellers.

Recently, I sent two wheels (rims only) weighing 50lbs from East to West Coast, it cost $30 with FedEx which I thought was pretty reasonable in this day and age.

Yea, they rope you in with a cheap selling price then rape you with the shipping charges. Anyone with common sense will see right through that tactic. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64804 on: July 29, 2020, 04:01:40 pm »
And here is one of today's examples, where it is conveniently ignored that being on the equator means the rocket starts at 1000mph.
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/07/uk-s-first-space-launch-could-take-place-in-early-2020s-government-says

I've always found the "you need to be on the equator to launch orbiting things" a bit specious. Yes, you get 1000 mph (0.4 km/s) for free, but that's a small part of the 7-8 kilometers per second that you need even for a low earth orbit (over 11 km/s for escape velocity). Sure, you use al least 10% more fuel (can't be bothered to work it out properly, it gets too calculusy for the back of a fag packet), or have a lower payload, but you gain convenience, launch from home territory (which has positive security implications) and you don't have to constantly ferry staff half way around the world.

And of course you can drop "When I was driving past the spaceport the other day" into conversation with the French - "Yes, I know you've got one in French Guiana, but that's hardly on the way to the shops is it? Here, have a glass of bubbly in consolation. Yes, it is good isn't it - from Kent don't ya know. [Sound of apoplectic choking in French]".  :)
Nah, never going to happen, our economy cannot afford such luxury items. >:D |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64805 on: July 29, 2020, 04:02:41 pm »
Please stop with the work related reminders of total frustration and wanting to throw shit. Retirement has been a year and half of complete bliss and I haven't thought of these ugly incidences and now they are floating around in my head.

May I suggest some calming schadenfreude. Or, if you were British and wanted to be patriotic, "epicaricacy".

The mere use of those obscure words makes me want to punch babies.  |O :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64806 on: July 29, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
This is a bit more like it for all IT support types

Young whipper snapper you, just wait till you've been retired for 4 years  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #64807 on: July 29, 2020, 04:05:46 pm »
But look at all those green tants on the board. Never saw green tants before. Ain't they purdy? For now they are staying in place. Of all my gear I only have tant blow ups on Tek stuff. I have lots of B&K and Fluke gear that's loaded with beaded tants and I only recall one lonely incident of a bad tant in a Fluke 8010A. So these will be left

All the colours you've ever wanted in one small drawer:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:07:32 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64808 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:14 pm »
My big project of the day. Re-cap of the B&K 1820. All two of them.  :phew: :-DD

But look at all those green tants on the board. Never saw green tants before. Ain't they purdy? For now they are staying in place. Of all my gear I only have tant blow ups on Tek stuff. I have lots of B&K and Fluke gear that's loaded with beaded tants and I only recall one lonely incident of a bad tant in a Fluke 8010A. So these will be left alone too. But if one goes they ALL go.  >:D

Of course appropriate check out. All is well.  :-/O :-DMM

Pass the smelling salts along when you've done with them please, thanks. I can't believe that I actually just read this, Med is not going to be recapping them, he must be going to respray them blue then?  :o >:D
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64809 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
So... you're calling this one a net positive then...?  >:D

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.  :)

Although it's traditional for the English to poke fun at the French, and vice-versa, it's all in good fun and we don't really hate each other - we both reserve that for Les Parisiennes (and perhaps, in the French case, Les Québécois who are even haughtier than Parisennes about their 'Frenchness').
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64810 on: July 29, 2020, 04:14:14 pm »
I really like the basic LED counters. I really want a Fluke 1900A or something

Indeed.  :-+ ;D

Dang it, he already did it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64811 on: July 29, 2020, 04:20:21 pm »
But look at all those green tants on the board. Never saw green tants before. Ain't they purdy? For now they are staying in place. Of all my gear I only have tant blow ups on Tek stuff. I have lots of B&K and Fluke gear that's loaded with beaded tants and I only recall one lonely incident of a bad tant in a Fluke 8010A. So these will be left

All the colours you've ever wanted in one small drawer:

There... FTFY.  >:D

mnem
"Whenever you guys say "TANTS!!!" in thread that way... with loathing visibly dripping from every keystroke... I imagine gear infested with Domo-Kun. It makes me smile. "  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #64812 on: July 29, 2020, 04:21:45 pm »
(Attachment Link)
just arrived on my doorstep.... could not let it go by...seller wanted to get rid of it whatever the cost...no other way.. then who am i.. 8)

Marconi TF 2414A  or Venner TCA6636/2  or Venner TCA6635

i did not find to much, as manuals or schematics.... i do know it is also sold as Venner..... how is this?  marconi is usualy easy available

[Edit] this is not a problem, i do have the paper version, i just wanted it in pdf, but maybe i should scan and put it online, if it is hard to find.
so if somone is intresed i have a manual with schematics...but i will have to scan the whole book...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:24:49 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64813 on: July 29, 2020, 04:22:27 pm »

Like I said, back of fag packet - I allowed for the change in momentum (i.e. v2) and rounded up, ignored the calculus of 'you have to carry that fuel', and qualified it with "at least".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64814 on: July 29, 2020, 04:26:25 pm »
(Attachment Link)
just arrived on my doorstep.... could not let it go by...seller wanted to get rid of it whatever the cost...no other way.. then who am i.. 8)

i did not find to much, as manuals or schematics.... i do know it is also sold as Venner..... how is this?  marconi is usualy easy available

[Edit] this is not a problem, i do have the paper version, i just wanted it in pdf, but maybe i should scan and put it online, if it is hard to find.
so if somone is intresed i have a manual with schematics...but i will have to scan the whole book...

Marconi and Racal rebranded a lot of kit to try and stay relevant. Also most Marconi stuff seems to have somewhat variable manuals. 2019a was a fun one to decipher which version of it I had.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64815 on: July 29, 2020, 04:30:00 pm »

Like I said, back of fag packet - I allowed for the change in momentum (i.e. v2) and rounded up, ignored the calculus of 'you have to carry that fuel', and qualified it with "at least".

Mommy, he said a bad word.  :o :P :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64816 on: July 29, 2020, 04:33:31 pm »
"calculus"...?  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64817 on: July 29, 2020, 04:49:34 pm »
I really like the basic LED counters. I really want a Fluke 1900A or something

Don't get more basic than a Philips PM6661 (or 6664)
80 (400) MHz auto ranging. NO/OFF, input and 8 digits   :-+
I'd like a 6664 to go with my 6661

The following users thanked this post: bd139, FransW, factory, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #64818 on: July 29, 2020, 05:21:16 pm »
And here is one of today's examples, where it is conveniently ignored that being on the equator means the rocket starts at 1000mph.   https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/07/uk-s-first-space-launch-could-take-place-in-early-2020s-government-says

And of course you can drop "When I was driving past the spaceport the other day" into conversation with the French - "Yes, I know you've got one in French Guiana, but that's hardly on the way to the shops is it? Here, have a glass of bubbly in consolation. Yes, it is good isn't it - from Kent don't ya know. [Sound of apoplectic choking in French]".  :)

So... you're calling this one a net positive then...?  >:D

mnem
*Lays out the conversational cutlery for Master Earth-Pig*

Safer than what the German government is considering: launching space going rockets from oil rigs.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64819 on: July 29, 2020, 05:29:26 pm »

Safer than what the German government is considering: launching space going rockets from oil rigs.  :palm:
What could possibly go wrong?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64821 on: July 29, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »

The mere use of those obscure words makes me want to punch babies.  |O :-DD

Well, "schadenfreude" is so useful that it can't be regarded as obscure.

OTOH I only found out about "epicaricacy" today :) You may find these "usage notes" relevant: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/epicaricacy Think "quiz".

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64822 on: July 29, 2020, 05:41:31 pm »

Another problem there: they don't have oil rigs. Which means they would have to either invade Norway or Scotland or the US. 
What do the German Luftwaffe of 1945 and 2020 have in common ?
4 airworthy aircraft ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64823 on: July 29, 2020, 05:42:29 pm »

Another problem there: they don't have oil rigs. Which means they would have to either invade Norway or Scotland or the US. 
What do the German Luftwaffe of 1945 and 2020 have in common ?
4 airworthy aircraft ...

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64824 on: July 29, 2020, 05:42:44 pm »
(Attachment Link)

It's a badged engineered Venner, I did have both a Venner & Marconi version (which got sold), the PSU & boards were all labelled Venner, I can't quite remember if one of them didn't have the storage IC's on the display boards. You may find the original mains filter capacitor inside waiting to go pop (if it hasn't already).

David

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf