Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17743552 times)

morris6, ddrl46, Vince and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64575 on: July 27, 2020, 05:25:21 pm »
Yeah, the COO at their HellDesk probably read the same article I did a few weeks ago and shit themselves:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/arm-based-macs-at-wwdc-2020-will-apple-re-engine-or-re-imagine/

mnem
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:29:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64576 on: July 27, 2020, 05:28:51 pm »
Yeah probably right. We have a shitty VPN which requires kernel modules on macOS which are being deprecated apparently so that’s probably the motivator.

The whole thing is retarded as it’s a Unix company ffs.

Edit: number one objective is retiring again. Fuck the monkey dance cargo cult bollocks. I’m done.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64577 on: July 27, 2020, 05:32:37 pm »

Yeah, if they ever ship the fucking thing.  :palm:

*Refresh*
*Refresh*
*Refresh*
*Refresh*
What are they doing; growing the trees to make the cardboard for the box...?  >:D
*Refresh*
*Refresh*
*Refresh..... Harrumph!*

mnem
*Toddles off to do something, even if it's wrong...*

Can you please put something soft in front of you. Your claws are making a horrible noise while you're impatiently drumming your fingers on the table and you're wearing a groove in it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64578 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »
No.  >:D

mnem
Just one less thing for me to move, says I.  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64579 on: July 27, 2020, 05:35:47 pm »
Yeah probably right. We have a shitty VPN which requires kernel modules on macOS which are being deprecated apparently so that’s probably the motivator.

The whole thing is retarded as it’s a Unix company ffs.

Edit: number one objective is retiring again. Fuck the monkey dance cargo cult bollocks. I’m done.

So.... a Security company abandoning the Mac ship because the Mac API security standards they're using have been abandoned by the rest of the world as no longer being secure...?

Shocking, I tells ya.  :-DD

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64580 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:29 pm »
Sort of. Idiots complaining it will take more budget to support minority users who already know what they’re doing because they are the technical staff. This is because Covid caught them with pants down on the support front so they’re cutting costs everywhere and making everyone the same disempowered cog is apparently the way to do that.

Americans for ref. (Apologies to the resident Americans. I don’t mean you. I mean the Robocop OCP class ones)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #64581 on: July 27, 2020, 05:45:08 pm »
Why didntcha ask. I have a couple of Ryzens here that I can heartily split with.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64582 on: July 27, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »
Expensed. Needs business receipts and new items unfortunately  :--

Edit: think someone heard me whining. TG320 dispatched  :clap:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:33:12 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64583 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:13 pm »
This auction is hilarious https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114325522986

Comes with calibration certificate. Check the picture of the certificate.  :palm:

£37 GTFO

The following users thanked this post: Ero-Shan

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64584 on: July 27, 2020, 07:48:13 pm »
Ebay have now giving them a ultimatum, send me a prepaid label within 5 days or they will find in my favour, refund me and I get to keep this 2L one, so lets see what happens now.  :rant:

OK, in the sweepstake I take "Specmaster gets a free 2L one". I presume that if I win I get the classic Stan Lee prize?

Sorry but you have lost the sweepstake, the seller has sent me the postage costs direct to my PayPal account, so I won't be getting a free one (not that I wanted it) nor will I be getting the correct item, they are refunding my money.

So now I'm back with my little plastic one, like you until I can find another suitable unit at a realistic price.

Once eBay get notification that it has been delivered they are going to refund me in full.  :palm:

Great... so you not only get all the assache; but now you can't even post negative feedback to warn others what a douche-puppet this seller is. Jeebus. We really need to start a "D-Bag Vendor List"...   :palm:

mnem
 grr. >:(
Hmm, it may get worse still yet, The item has been dispatched now so let’s wait and see what happens. The seller provided me with an address in Walsall for the returns, eBay gave an address in China :palm: I attach copies of the documents I'm referring to here. The item was sent to me via 48Hour tracked service, I therefore assumed that the seller would supply a prepaid label, nope, wanted me to pay for the return, which I looked on the Royal website, was £10.91. The seller rejected that and said the cost is about £2. Later they stated that they checked the price and it was only £5.69 with a tracking number and that they would pay that to my PayPal account today.

I then had a red mist come over me and penned a reply with 9 points raised, and they replied, ignoring the points raised and said that they had paid the £10.91 as I asked. Next came an email from PayPal confirming that but the seller had told PayPal it was paid for services/goods, so they deducted 83p at PayPal, leaving me with £10.08 to cover postage  :wtf: :rant:

My son said that if I return it by 2nd class recorded delivery, I would get a transaction number that would provide proof of delivery for £9.99 so that meant I was up by 9p on the deal in the end.

When it came to entering the tracking number on the eBay system in order that the seller and eBay can see that it is on its way, their system rejected the number because they were expecting an international tracking number because of the address eBay supplied me with. After a chat with eBay customer service on the phone, they tried to enter the number themselves and failed, and they came to the conclusion about the address eBay provided was in China, but I was given a UK returns by the seller. So I had to send the seller a message to the effect that it had been returned to their stated address in Walsall and gave them the tracking number.

Will it go smoothly or is doomed to go wrong yet again.

To make it even worse, the seller has the same items on his eBay shop at lower prices but still has all the wrong photos attached to the listing so that anyone using the photos (12 of them) to make a purchase against (and who wouldn't) the whole saga will unfold yet again with the buyer receiving a PS-10A and not the PS-20A that the photos suggest and it seems as if eBay could not care less about the misleading information, of which this seller has a few other models of this cleaner, many of them also using the same photos to show the buyer the item  :wtf: :rant:

Edit:

I just checked the tracking number on Royal Mail website and it is working OK, so the problem must be the address that eBay supplied and I never noticed until their system refused the tracking number. In total there are 30 emails relating to this cleaner, starting with them accepting my offer £56  :palm: We really do need a name and shame section for eBay sellers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:55:09 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64585 on: July 27, 2020, 07:51:52 pm »
Ugh what a shit show. That should work. Check the ID on RM’s web site. If it doesn’t accept it then it’s an eBay bug.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64586 on: July 27, 2020, 08:06:59 pm »
Oh fucking great. The folks I work for have just decided no more support for Mac users. Chopping off at VPN when macos 11 comes out.. Gonna have to argue a chunk of cash out of them for that or accept some turd corp desktop.  >:(
I guess that maybe they don't see a future for Mac's any more?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64587 on: July 27, 2020, 08:09:26 pm »
Great job by TTi as usual. Managed to obtain a copy of the TG300 series full service manual by asking. Will make sure it's pushed to the relevant places  :-+
I'd like a copy please, I'm slowly building up a collection of their manuals.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64588 on: July 27, 2020, 08:17:34 pm »
TG300 manual attached

The following users thanked this post: Gertjan, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64589 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:26 pm »
This auction is hilarious https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114325522986

Comes with calibration certificate. Check the picture of the certificate.  :palm:

£37 GTFO
Low ball them and give it a good go with switch cleaner and it should be OK.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64590 on: July 27, 2020, 08:53:40 pm »
Last one of them I paid a tenner for. Doubt they would go that low  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64591 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:33 pm »
Go on, try them and you can use the fact that the calibration certificate has far more “fails” than “passes” on it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #64592 on: July 27, 2020, 09:17:07 pm »
Currently realised I'm screwed on a project. Need to probulate 4 partially analogue, partially digital non repetitive rare events at the same time which are very far apart. Only have a 2 channel scope with 2.5kpts non-segmented memory :--

The question is as always, how much money do I want to spend to fix this measurement gap  :o
Have you watched Daves latest vid where he uses a capture then stores a waveform as a reference waveform and does another capture and compares them ?

Does a TDS210 do reference traces ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64593 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:00 pm »
Go on, try them and you can use the fact that the calibration certificate has far more “fails” than “passes” on it.

Still don’t fancy it. Got first stage of display rot and I know what hell that ends up in for me  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-8010a-mains-only-conversion-and-display-replacement/

Currently realised I'm screwed on a project. Need to probulate 4 partially analogue, partially digital non repetitive rare events at the same time which are very far apart. Only have a 2 channel scope with 2.5kpts non-segmented memory :--

The question is as always, how much money do I want to spend to fix this measurement gap  :o
Have you watched Daves latest vid where he uses a capture then stores a waveform as a reference waveform and does another capture and compares them ?

I think it can do that but needs to be same cycle. The whole Mac/PC mess at the moment for me has shelved the issue for a few days. I will mull on it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64594 on: July 27, 2020, 09:25:00 pm »
Oh yeah, I see what you mean about the display rot, not to mention the broken button either, best kick it into touch then with a drop-kick  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #64595 on: July 27, 2020, 09:33:07 pm »

I think it can do that but needs to be same cycle. The whole Mac/PC mess at the moment for me has shelved the issue for a few days. I will mull on it.
Yeah what Dave showed was fairly simplistic as he had full control of the timing of his capture with power ON but maybe if you have the right trigger settings you can gain control of your capture timing however with just 2 channels to play with you can only get info from one other channel.

Good brain teasers things like these.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:32:11 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64597 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:01 pm »
I need at least one kidney though  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, TorinoFermic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64598 on: July 28, 2020, 12:21:14 am »
At the likely price for one of those I'd hope it comes with it's own dialysis unit, you can probably plug the tubes in a round the back.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64599 on: July 28, 2020, 01:16:18 am »
At the likely price for one of those I'd hope it comes with it's own dialysis unit, you can probably plug the tubes in a round the back.

They might come with a defibrillator, for when you view the invoice!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf