Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16772457 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64375 on: July 25, 2020, 03:51:28 pm »
HP 5326B PSU before.

HP 5326B PSU after.

I was checking to make sure the capacitors were running cool and my hand slipped and contacted the fuse holder. OUCH!  :palm: :phew:

Well, they surely have plenty of space for air circulation now!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #64376 on: July 25, 2020, 03:53:07 pm »
with all those Canadians here ...

I think I must put out a bolo for my Henry Roy Vickers Eagle Totem print that I bought some umpfteen years ago at his gallery in Tofino ...

dunno where it is, never took it out and put it onto a wall after receiving it crumpled with a sticker on it "opened by Deutsche Post" for customs inspection ...

Of course they said: oh, we did not open it, it was customs, even though I did confront them with the sticker they attached and asked them to explain that ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64377 on: July 25, 2020, 03:53:27 pm »
Don't worry, it was all for a purpose!  :P

It's all tetrised back into my room with greater efficiency. A job that had to be done to clear floorspace, for MORE TEST GEAR!  :-DD  |O

I seek your approval of my stacking abilities, it's all for the greater good of hoarding ever increasing amounts of random gear. :)

Mnem .... down, boy!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1032414;image
Oh, so pretty .......

The care in constructing this shot is not lost on me.

I took special care, like a gardener tending their orchids.  :-/O

On a related note, I think I could fit another rack in there for a second tall stack of junk with space on top for an additional pile........

Sadly, it appears your earlier post has been stricken by the SMF attachments bug. Now all the posts quoting that lovely tidy little "Pile O' HP" are referring back to "The Room"...  :o

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64378 on: July 25, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »
with all those Canadians here ...

I think I must put out a bolo for my Henry Roy Vickers Eagle Totem print that I bought some umpfteen years ago at his gallery in Tofino ...

dunno where it is, never took it out and put it onto a wall after receiving it crumpled with a sticker on it "opened by Deutsche Post" for customs inspection ...

Of course they said: oh, we did not open it, it was customs, even though I did confront them with the sticker they attached and asked them to explain that ...

This one? I Think saw one of this serigraph in a gallery in New Mexico about 15 years ago...

Somewhere I have a wooden box from some smoked salmon with one of his traditional designs on it. Very similar to this one.   1032726-1   One of my favorite stashboxes.  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:08:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64379 on: July 25, 2020, 04:08:11 pm »
Ok so I spent the afternoon being bad patient #1 and had a look at the 8060A again. It hurt but it was worth it. Firstly the meter was dead again. Hmm. So I replaced the battery clip on it which had been yanked off by the previous owner leaving bare wires. This took 40 bloody minutes including finding all the Metcal bits I'd packed away. Fired it up again, a lot of nope again. After doing a full brush over and inspection the elastomere strip looked like the culprit so I took the display assembly off and cleaned the board and both edges of it. Reassembled it and bam, it works perfectly, at least on DC, ohms, continuity etc. I haven't tested AC yet (waiting for FG to arrive).

Reassembled it and we're good. I like the continuity on this. Top notch!

Not content with stopping here, I know these are prone to leaking and destructive electrolytic capacitors so once my arm is better it's getting recapped and scrubbed to give it hopefully a couple of decades extra.

Total spend so far:

Meter - £18
PP3 clip - £0.54
Capacitors - £3 (incoming)

Edit: this came with the grey carry case and some TL75 style probes. I will clean them up as well later. I think the probe tips have had it so they might get binned. I've got some Pomona ones spare lying around.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:09:46 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64380 on: July 25, 2020, 04:11:35 pm »
@mnem yup.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64381 on: July 25, 2020, 04:19:29 pm »
The GR adapters/attenuators arrived and these are the cleanest GR connectors I've seen. Very little tarnish. My main objective here was to get an additional BNC female to GR adapter and the attenuators came along for the ride. Not sure what I'll do with them but I suppose they will come in handy at some point. I still want to get at least 2 more BNC female to GR adapters and eventually I'm sure they will turn up.

And here's a better pix of the Type 561B going through a burn-in cycle and proof that the trace is nice and sharp.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64382 on: July 25, 2020, 04:26:46 pm »
HP 5326B PSU before.

HP 5326B PSU after.

I assume Cubdriver wants these so I'll save them for him.

The Counter is currently warming up and connected to the 10MHz reference for final calibration.

I was checking to make sure the capacitors were running cool and my hand slipped and contacted the fuse holder. OUCH!  :palm: :phew:
Think yourself lucky that it wasn't 240V on it then  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64383 on: July 25, 2020, 04:28:42 pm »
You've had to go to lengths to find a few, very specific "you can do it this way" references but they're surrounded by caveats "aluminium thicker than 1/4 inch" (i.e. 250+ amps), heavy chemical preparation, huge water cooled tungsten, helium shielding gas, "process used in the 40s and 50s". All a lot of effort to get some weak backing for "I can weld Aluminium with this little DC welder". Have you ever heard the phrase "the exception proves the rule". Yes, I sure that you could, in some fashion, if you really wanted to, to prove a point, make a DC weld with a ~60A welder on 1mm aluminium and you'd have a weld, but a weld  that wouldn't pass inspection anywhere. But you'd only do it if you stubbornly wanted to prove a point. Which is what this is all really about, not about the technicalities. As I've said, this started with a  friendly, "erm you realise that's DC only", and you're going out of the way to try to prove "but I'm right and I must know better because I've done this stuff" rather than admit to a small hole in your knowledge. Many things are possible but not advisable, to use "but I've done it" as the touchstone is not the basis of wisdom. FFS, you actually admit that your path is littered with the results of trial and error and it's your intention to blunder on like that. What's the plan, decline informed advice with a "No, no, don't tell me.  I'd rather just do it with trial and error and stuff I can find in the back of the barn"?

My purpose is not to humble you or to make you say "I was wrong". By the way, saying "I was wrong" multiple times interspersed with lots of reasons why you think you're right  and anecdotes of how you counsel your son on admitting ignorance is not saying "I was wrong" just as a small boy saying "I'm sorry" while scuffing his feet and muttering "but he started it" under his voice is not an apology.

I'm not having any fun here, and I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm trying to get you to realise that just because you have practical experience of something does not make you automatically correct on a subject, and it's clear that you do think that because I've seen you use it as an argumentational gambit more times than I (genuinely) care to remember. You're a nice bloke, I don't like watching you get into spats with people because you cling to your experience (especially when it's with me). If you were just another "arsehole on the Internet" I wouldn't bother. When you do do this I see the classic engineer's "need to be right in a argument" come out in you, and it's not attractive. Sure, experience is a good teacher but experience is not infallibly right. To offer a counter-example, the boss who has gotten good results from bullying his staff will extol that as an effective method because experience has taught him so; we all know he's wrong, so experience is not an infallible guide.

For someone who claims he's a humble guy who meekly admits his mistakes and ignorances you're sure bull-headed about it.  :)

No... I Googled "DC TIG Aluminum" and took the first few hits off the page. Then I reviewed those hits, and honestly looked into and admitted the mistakes I saw that I'd made.

No, it didn't start that way. it was EXACTLY NOT THAT. Which I explained in my followup post this morning, after reviewing everything that had been said, only in the harsh light of day over my morning cuppa. Go have a look; no, I'll wait. ;)

No... this is LITERALLY what I was saying. And itemizing exactly HOW, to demonstrate that I understood I was wrong. I really thought you knew me better by now; that my motivations are not that simple. I KNOW you've seen me admit I was wrong more than enough times, in here, to know that I WILL admit it once I realize it. Sure, I'm going to defend what I think I know... just like anybody else. But I constantly re-evaulate, and you know that about me. Or at least you SHOULD by now.

Yup. Also admitted in here more than once. Also inferred, but not stated, in said followup post. Also, reciprocated; if you were just another a-hole on the internet, I wouldn't get annoyed when you bust my chops. I'd consider the source and just ignore you.

And really... "But he started it..." ? We've known each other for how long... and you REALLY think that was where I was going with that? :palm:

Jeebus C... maybe you don't know me as well as I thought you did. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
Clang, Clang, seconds out round 2  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64384 on: July 25, 2020, 04:45:19 pm »
And really... "But he started it..." ? We've known each other for how long... and you REALLY think that was where I was going with that? :palm:

C'mon, you know that was just a simile ("like a small boy saying") and not the point being made.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64385 on: July 25, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »
Do I need to make more  :popcorn: ?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64386 on: July 25, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »
@mnem yup.

That's going to be a hard find; that's one of his most popular prints for reasons which are obvious. I see one went at auction for "$300-500" 10 years ago... obviously gonna bring much more nowadays.

Looking at the "Consignments" on his gallery site should give you some idea how much some of his older prints are going for now: https://royhenryvickers.com/collections/original-prints?page=1

Gulp... Maybe you can find it in one of his coffee table books: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3ARoy+Henry+Vickers

mnem
https://www.pinterest.ca/JaredDuane/roy-henry-vickers-art/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:08:54 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64387 on: July 25, 2020, 04:57:21 pm »

C'mon, you know that was just a simile ("like a small boy saying") and not the point being made.

I do NOW.  :P   But that's kindof the point I was making... misunderstandings, ehh?  ;)

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64388 on: July 25, 2020, 05:02:29 pm »
Do I need to make more  :popcorn: ?

Make mine a little Panama Red... And enough to pass around please; since we're in cyberspace, COVID can go lick a shroom.  :o

mnem
"Here... lemme lay a stick of sandalwood incense on ya; made it outta my own sandals. No, no, no... let me light it for ya..."

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64389 on: July 25, 2020, 05:05:31 pm »
@mnem yup.

That's going to be a hard find; that's one of his most popular prints for reasons which are obvious. I see one went at auction for "$300-500" 10 years ago... obviously gonna bring much more nowadays.

Looking at the "Consignments" on his gallery site should give you some idea how much some of his older prints are going for now: https://royhenryvickers.com/collections/original-prints?page=1

Gulp... Maybe you can find it in one of his coffee table books: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3ARoy+Henry+Vickers

mnem

when I said put out a Bolo, I meant: need to dig it up somewhere in my storage. Hope that I did not put it into the basement, it's too humid in there.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #64390 on: July 25, 2020, 05:10:44 pm »
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I snorted out loud when I read that line.

Now, do you have time to get the true magnitude of the pile hidden away again before the wife gets back? That's the critical question. If not, let us know which hospital to send the flowers to.

I have struck gold with a wife that doesn't care how much gear I accumulate, as long as it fits in my room.

If she can close the door to avoid looking at it, she's happy. :D

:-+   :-+

I find myself, through no fault of my own, with a partner who actively encourages my RF and TE obsessions, including the backpacking/wilderness sub-category of the former. I do the same for her, so in addition to the shelves of gear and parts in the furnace room, there is a storage room filled with ikebana containers, dried flowers, and cooly weird tools for working with flowers. 

I do think I get the better end of the deal as her hobby fills our home with beautiful flower arrangements while mine results in weird burning smells, loud bursts of static, and unsightly overhead wires in our side yard.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, TERRA Operative, syau

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64391 on: July 25, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »
The GR adapters/attenuators arrived and these are the cleanest GR connectors I've seen. Very little tarnish. My main objective here was to get an additional BNC female to GR adapter and the attenuators came along for the ride. Not sure what I'll do with them but I suppose they will come in handy at some point. I still want to get at least 2 more BNC female to GR adapters and eventually I'm sure they will turn up.

And here's a better pix of the Type 561B going through a burn-in cycle and proof that the trace is nice and sharp.

Very nice. I actually have some GR-874 elbows that were new in the factory package from a local surplus joint. So they are actually shinier!  :P

1032776-0

In other news, I have a Tek 191 + GR adapters + manual coming from Sphere. Jammy git at $69 Yankee bux. Also a couple of the transistors I need to finally repair my other 3444A multi-function DC plugin so I can put a second 3440A nixie voltmeter in service.  :-+ Also have a collection of 0.01% resistors coming from digi-key so I can calibrate the ohmmeter on this unit (the failed transistor is in the ohmmeter circuit).

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64392 on: July 25, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »
@mnem yup.

mnem

when I said put out a Bolo, I meant: need to dig it up somewhere in my storage. Hope that I did not put it into the basement, it's too humid in there.

Ahhh... okay. I thought you wanted someone to help find you a unmolested copy of it. If it's salvageable, I hope so too. I prefer imperfect art to perfect cookie-cutter graphic design; adding character to something with soul in no way diminishes it but rather makes the connection more personal.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #64393 on: July 25, 2020, 05:15:21 pm »

His Edge-bot shouldn't feel bad. At least he's installing the world's most popular browser. If my Edge-bot asked me the same question, I'd have to tell him he installed Firefox. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64394 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:15 pm »

I do NOW.  :P   But that's kindof the point I was making... misunderstandings, ehh?  ;)

mnem

Sticks straw in mouth, leans back on fence, smooths coxcomb. "Round here boy, we git taught, I say, we git taught that kind of readin' in junior school. Helps if'n you reads slow like me, no need to be going at everything 700 hun'red miles an hour.".  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64395 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:49 pm »
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I snorted out loud when I read that line.

Now, do you have time to get the true magnitude of the pile hidden away again before the wife gets back? That's the critical question. If not, let us know which hospital to send the flowers to.

I have struck gold with a wife that doesn't care how much gear I accumulate, as long as it fits in my room.

If she can close the door to avoid looking at it, she's happy. :D

:-+   :-+

I find myself, through no fault of my own, with a partner who actively encourages my RF and TE obsessions, including the backpacking/wilderness sub-category of the former. I do the same for her, so in addition to the shelves of gear and parts in the furnace room, there is a storage room filled with ikebana containers, dried flowers, and cooly weird tools for working with flowers. 

I do think I get the better end of the deal as her hobby fills our home with beautiful flower arrangements while mine results in weird burning smells, loud bursts of static, and unsightly overhead wires in our side yard.   ;D

Yeah; hooray for the enablers!  :-+

mnem
 >:D

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, TERRA Operative

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64396 on: July 25, 2020, 05:20:00 pm »
actually, it was hiding behind a laser disc collection announcement.

See pics.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64397 on: July 25, 2020, 05:21:56 pm »

Yeah, and long periods of peace, quiet and clean, slightly floral, air while you do that wandering off into the wilderness kind of stuff. Perhaps she's the one who thinks she got the good deal.  >:D

Edited to add: T'other half does mosaics, and they're normally done in a shared studio space that she gets her corner of for a pittance. At the moment, it's all happening at home and I'm getting increasingly good at digging small sharp fragments of coloured glass out of the soles of my feet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:27:42 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64398 on: July 25, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »

mnem

Sticks straw in mouth, leans back on fence, smooths coxcomb. "Round here boy, we git taught, I say, we git taught that kind of readin' in junior school. Helps if'n you reads slow like me, no need to be going at everything 700 hun'red miles an hour.".  :)

mnem
I think there's a old hound dog around here needs some aggravatin'...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64399 on: July 25, 2020, 05:22:25 pm »
Also, unknown at this time whether I will be in discord this afternoon. Depends on how long some errands take. If I join, it will be later.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf