Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16868442 times)

TERRA Operative and 137 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59175 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:17 pm »
Just scored an Agilent E3610A for £82 + a very reasonable £6.71 postage. Cushty. For those, like me, who don't keep an encyclopaedic list of model numbers in their heads that's a 2U 1/2 rack DC bench PSU 0-8V@3A or 0-15V@2A. Fanless, naturally, like the rest of my slowly growing stack of HP/Agilent/Harrison 1/2 rack PSUs. Due Weds/Thurs all the way from sunny Southend-on-Sea. I beat some other cheapskate by one bid increment over the minimum bid - if that was one of the resident fellow cheapskates, my apologies.

Good score I have one myself, enjoy.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59176 on: May 23, 2020, 11:12:23 pm »
http://info.okinternational.com/gt90-gt120 Metcal with variable temperature adjustment?   :-//

Feels like a huge leap backwards for MetCal from here.  :o   Maybe they got tired of listening to the Hakko fanbois whine they didn't have a knob to diddle and burn shit up... :-//

mnem
*SMH*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #59177 on: May 23, 2020, 11:19:02 pm »
TEA day, as seen on discord earlier. Very nice shape Tek Type 184. There's one problem. The seller listed as tested and working, but the fuse and fuse holder are missing! Looking back, they were missing in the listing pics too, so I messaged them. They said they'll look for it on Tuesday.  :palm: And I don't have a .6A slowblow on hand either, so I can't even scrounge a fuze cap to test it out.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59178 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:10 pm »
There's that Tek voodoo black-magic oscillator making another appearance...  :-+

mnem
Time for a wet-finger test...  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #59179 on: May 23, 2020, 11:36:57 pm »
Crap. Forgot Discord again.  Your purchase of the 184 did prompt me to buy a manual for mine; no sign of it yet though.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59180 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:37 pm »
TEA day, as seen on discord earlier. Very nice shape Tek Type 184. There's one problem. The seller listed as tested and working, but the fuse and fuse holder are missing! Looking back, they were missing in the listing pics too, so I messaged them. They said they'll look for it on Tuesday.  :palm: And I don't have a .6A slowblow on hand either, so I can't even scrounge a fuze cap to test it out.  :palm:
What do you mean, "They said that they'll look for it on Tuesday"? Thats a claim for a refund in full or at least, if you're willing to accept it, a partial refund. Just how in blue blazes can they say that it is tested and working with no fuse and its holder???
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59181 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:47 pm »
I bought a spare probe for my AVO digital megger on Ebay, when I opened the Envelope, some car parts fell out. The seller hat entrusted his teenage daughter with the mail and she got a bit confused. So I received stuff that he wanted to return to a seller. I fet sorry for him, as I got that probe for 1.-´€. I offered to exchange the goods directly with the other party, but they did not like it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59182 on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:44 pm »
I bought a spare probe for my AVO digital megger on Ebay, when I opened the Envelope, some car parts fell out. The seller hat entrusted his teenage daughter with the mail and she got a bit confused. So I received stuff that he wanted to return to a seller. I fet sorry for him, as I got that probe for 1.-´€. I offered to exchange the goods directly with the other party, but they did not like it.
Were they parts for a tiny car or was it a huge envelope?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59183 on: May 23, 2020, 11:42:08 pm »
What do you mean, "They said that they'll look for it on Tuesday"? Thats a claim for a refund in full or at least, if you're willing to accept it, a partial refund. Just how in blue blazes can they say that it is tested and working with no fuse and its holder???

I'll give them a chance, and if they come up empty I'm going to want a partial refund.

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59184 on: May 23, 2020, 11:42:52 pm »

Maybe she was a bat shit crazy red head with boys on her brain  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59185 on: May 23, 2020, 11:43:55 pm »

I'll give them a chance, and if they come up empty I'm going to want a partial refund.
More to the point is, with the fuse and holder missing, how did they manage to test it?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59186 on: May 23, 2020, 11:44:41 pm »
Well, eBay has ceased to be shit - for me at least.

Just scored an Agilent E3610A for £82 + a very reasonable £6.71 postage. Cushty. For those, like me, who don't keep an encyclopaedic list of model numbers in their heads that's a 2U 1/2 rack DC bench PSU 0-8V@3A or 0-15V@2A. Fanless, naturally, like the rest of my slowly growing stack of HP/Agilent/Harrison 1/2 rack PSUs. Due Weds/Thurs all the way from sunny Southend-on-Sea. I beat some other cheapskate by one bid increment over the minimum bid - if that was one of the resident fellow cheapskates, my apologies.

In other news, I found my de-burring tool and a little packet of mixed precision/fast op amps that I'd been trying to find for weeks. Bloody cat had batted them out of the tray they were in, and down the back of the bedroom bookcase when she'd been climbing up to the forbidden heights of War-Drobe. Normally she limits her electronics 'help' to ESD testing.
Noga/Shaviv deburring tool? The type with the svivelling blade? I can understand that she liked to play with it. Bright blue and a good fit to a paw...maybe she 'deburred' a mouse or two in the meantime.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59187 on: May 23, 2020, 11:46:08 pm »

If so, I'm even more sorry for her, as the name sounded middle-easterish.

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59188 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:30 pm »

If so, I'm even more sorry for her, as the name sounded middle-easterish.
Oh cripes, I feel for her.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59189 on: May 23, 2020, 11:49:25 pm »
Were they parts for a tiny car or was it a huge envelope?
'Schlepphebel kurz Kia Sorento Hyundai H-1' , 2pc.. I think a part of the transmission. Not very large.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59190 on: May 23, 2020, 11:51:47 pm »

More to the point is, with the fuse and holder missing, how did they manage to test it?

I'd like to know that too. I'll give them till Tuesday to see if they have the parts, but I have a feeling I will have to demand a partial refund.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59191 on: May 23, 2020, 11:54:06 pm »
And all this complaining about those lovely redheads...
In Germany, there is an old proven saying of cicil engineers: 'Umso rostiger das Dach, umso feuchter der Keller!'
(The more rusty the roof, the more moist is the basement!)
Who knows, if not them?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59192 on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:56 pm »
And that tiny HP power supply did not budge a bit since the mid-morning. Looks fine, pending some dynamic load testing. They are really nice. Also extra-long power cable on it - around 3m.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59193 on: May 24, 2020, 12:21:31 am »
In Germany, there is an old proven saying of cicil engineers: 'Umso rostiger das Dach, umso feuchter der Keller!'
Who knows, if not them?

I can vouch from personal experience that is a true statement but it is almost totally negated by the fact that they are nucking futs.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Edit...crap, I forgot about Discord too.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59194 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:24 am »
Noga/Shaviv deburring tool? The type with the svivelling blade? I can understand that she liked to play with it. Bright blue and a good fit to a paw...maybe she 'deburred' a mouse or two in the meantime.

One of the same. It was in its original box (encourages me to put the lethally sharp 'bit' away inside it, and keep my blood inside me) so she wouldn't have been able to use it as an improvised weapon.  I suspect it was caught by a back paw during the daring leap to the top of the wardrobe, I've seen things go flying during that move before; which is why I'm blaming her for the disappearances. Now I have to remember what it was I wanted to de-burr when I originally couldn't find it; I know it was something awkward like an inside radius that you couldn't get a file to and so needed the Noga tool.

Not that she would need improvised weapons, she comes with her own retractable razors. She's the kind of cat that will occasionally sit in a corner sharpening them with a No.4 cut file while giving you the side-eye and whistling the Shark's theme from West Side Story - just so's you don't get any ideas that she might disapprove of.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59195 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:49 am »
Who knows, if not them?

I can vouch from personal experience that is a true statement but it is almost totally negated by the fact that they are nucking futs.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Edit...crap, I forgot about Discord too.  |O
Well, I can say that nobody there forgot that you forgot - might as well say, your absence was noted.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59196 on: May 24, 2020, 12:41:42 am »

One of the same. It was in its original box (encourages me to put the lethally sharp 'bit' away inside it, and keep my blood inside me) so she wouldn't have been able to use it as an improvised weapon.  I suspect it was caught by a back paw during the daring leap to the top of the wardrobe, I've seen things go flying during that move before; which is why I'm blaming her for the disappearances. Now I have to remember what it was I wanted to de-burr when I originally couldn't find it; I know it was something awkward like an inside radius that you couldn't get a file to and so needed the Noga tool.

Not that she would need improvised weapons, she comes with her own retractable razors. She's the kind of cat that will occasionally sit in a corner sharpening them with a No.4 cut file while giving you the side-eye and whistling the Shark's theme from West Side Story - just so's you don't get any ideas that she might disapprove of.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59197 on: May 24, 2020, 01:56:45 am »
Let's hope the cat doesn't come across any references of sharks with frickin' lasers!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59198 on: May 24, 2020, 02:50:57 am »

Scored one recently, most output spotted on except those below 50ns. Carried out adjustment all fixed except the 2ns  :-/O The 2ns output never make a stable waveform except when my adjustment tool (esd safe plastic) touch the C70  :palm:

I changed the input voltage to 220V as I am living in 220v area, the 10MHz oven started giving out smell and blow the fuse (0.3A) after around 1 hr  :-- Disconnect the heater as temporary fix.

Any chance to help me to measure the resistance between pin 1 to 5, 2 to 5, 1 to 2 on the 10 Mhz crystal after removing it from socket ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:55:00 am by syau »

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59199 on: May 24, 2020, 02:55:03 am »

My cat Friday and his dog Angus.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, nfmax, Brumby, BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying, FransW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf