Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16662130 times)

Sas, Andrew_Debbie and 35 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58825 on: May 19, 2020, 06:49:38 am »
   Went for reds. Keyboard very nice apart from one really flipping annoying "feature" and that is the cherry lock function. Perfect for games but when in office mode, which honest is what this keyboard will be spending most of its time in, it has the scariest bright white LED under the windows key that you've ever seen.   On a positive not it's a lot quieter than the reds are in the K63. it's about the same as an old Cherry business line keyboard on noise. Absolutely glorious to type on though and the wrist rest and positioning is perfect. I'll desolder that LED this evening as it appears no warranty stickers are obscuring any screws :-DD

Fuuu... I feel that tingling sensation on my back, I need a new keyboard now. Yes I am a TEA muppet.
I have the brown cherry on a (Un)Logi(c)tech mech keyboard. It's too squishy and every months I have to click yes for a unlogictech sw update. I am pissed now.

I now that the keyboard market is going in the RGB bananas, but to calm us down there is a super antiviolence keyboard:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000689466516.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.137142c5lWj7ys&algo_pvid=58aed492-0615-4875-9127-be90a00544bf&algo_expid=58aed492-0615-4875-9127-be90a00544bf-22&btsid=0ab50f4415898704925948507e8ab7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

|O

PS: Take out all the RGB leds designed for HW PC, how much RGB will survive?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:51:20 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #58826 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:32 am »
Some may remember this, a 5 GHz data distribution installation for locals needing better internet:

Well due to its popularity it needs be upgraded with an 11 GHz backhaul link for higher data throughput.
And the HW has just been dropped off for the Thursday upgrade where we need a crew at each end to swap in the new preconfigured HW quickly without too much disruption to customers service.

800mm Ubiquity dish and 11 GHz airFiber 11 radio with up to 300km range !  :o
Seems a waste to point to point 2 of these over only 10.2 km but 1.2 GB/s wireless is pretty cool.
https://www.ui.com/airfiber/airfiber-11/

I'll grab some more pics when it's up and running.

Sounds like that 5G stuff to me Burning time  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58827 on: May 19, 2020, 06:57:59 am »
Does it still work when the gas runs out of the lighter..?   ???
:-DD
Nah, it was strategically placed there to cover something.  ;)

Some may remember this, a 5 GHz data distribution installation for locals needing better internet:

Well due to its popularity it needs be upgraded with an 11 GHz backhaul link for higher data throughput.
And the HW has just been dropped off for the Thursday upgrade where we need a crew at each end to swap in the new preconfigured HW quickly without too much disruption to customers service.

800mm Ubiquity dish and 11 GHz airFiber 11 radio with up to 300km range !  :o
Seems a waste to point to point 2 of these over only 10.2 km but 1.2 GB/s wireless is pretty cool.
https://www.ui.com/airfiber/airfiber-11/

I'll grab some more pics when it's up and running.

Sounds like that 5G stuff to me Burning time  >:D
Gotta get past me first and that could be worse for your health than a few rays !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58828 on: May 19, 2020, 07:09:56 am »
   Went for reds. Keyboard very nice apart from one really flipping annoying "feature" and that is the cherry lock function. Perfect for games but when in office mode, which honest is what this keyboard will be spending most of its time in, it has the scariest bright white LED under the windows key that you've ever seen.   On a positive not it's a lot quieter than the reds are in the K63. it's about the same as an old Cherry business line keyboard on noise. Absolutely glorious to type on though and the wrist rest and positioning is perfect. I'll desolder that LED this evening as it appears no warranty stickers are obscuring any screws :-DD

Fuuu... I feel that tingling sensation on my back, I need a new keyboard now. Yes I am a TEA muppet.
I have the brown cherry on a (Un)Logi(c)tech mech keyboard. It's too squishy and every months I have to click yes for a unlogictech sw update. I am pissed now.

I now that the keyboard market is going in the RGB bananas, but to calm us down there is a super antiviolence keyboard:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000689466516.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.137142c5lWj7ys&algo_pvid=58aed492-0615-4875-9127-be90a00544bf&algo_expid=58aed492-0615-4875-9127-be90a00544bf-22&btsid=0ab50f4415898704925948507e8ab7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

|O

PS: Take out all the RGB leds designed for HW PC, how much RGB will survive?

That keyboard you link to is not a mechanical one, it uses a squishy membrane as the contacts and as a result feel like a dead fish to type on. I have used mechanical keyboards now for around 5 years, with backlighting and macros etc but have never had to download a FW update for any of them. In fact there was no mention of FW updates in the manuals either.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58829 on: May 19, 2020, 07:18:04 am »
Yeah, at what... 30FPS...?

mnem
 :bullshit:
I don’t know but I think it is certainly in excess of 30fps. Game play does not appear to be jerky at all and it certainly has not ground to halt. I’ll try to locate some software to measure the FPS and report back for y’all.
But in the case of bd’s card it should be far better seeing as it is a current card, 3 times the memory and about 3 times the resolution capability of mine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:22:14 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #58830 on: May 19, 2020, 07:27:31 am »
That keyboard you link to is not a mechanical one, it uses a squishy membrane as the contacts and as a result feel like a dead fish to type on. I have used mechanical keyboards now for around 5 years, with backlighting and macros etc but have never had to download a FW update for any of them. In fact there was no mention of FW updates in the manuals either.

(I knew it), it is a dead fish super antiviolence then.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58831 on: May 19, 2020, 07:40:48 am »
Went for reds. Keyboard very nice apart from one really flipping annoying "feature" and that is the cherry lock function. Perfect for games but when in office mode, which honest is what this keyboard will be spending most of its time in, it has the scariest bright white LED under the windows key that you've ever seen.

It is rather a torch, isn't it! Mind you I quite like the "turn off capslock you dingbat" searchlight.

I have a suspicion that one of the cherry downloads allows you to update the firmware[1] to
Version 1.03: Add brightness values for dim of the modifier status display:
The status display (Cap-Lock, Scroll-Lock, Num-Lock, FN-Lock and Gaming-Mode) will dim from 80 % to 30 % of the button illumination. The brightness of 30 % is the darkest value for the active status display.

Since I don't have Win>XP, that's useless to me....

I'll desolder that LED this evening as it appears no warranty stickers are obscuring any screws :-DD

... so I inserted a bit of a post it note to make it a dimmer lemon yellow.

[1] firmware in a keyboard?! WTF :(

If you install virtualbox, then install virtualbox extensions pack, then install a suitable version of windows, you can pass through the USB device to the VM to upgrade the firmware.

And there's the problem: WinXP isn't on the list.

Unfortunately the only Windows that MS would sell me (when I was last looking) was the excessively new Win8 with the GUI widgets/style that had been abandoned as crap as long ago as the 1980s. I would have bought Win7, but they wouldn't sell it to me.

Liking this keyboard a lot - thanks for the link again :)

Edit: much boredom. Nothing on ebay at the moment. Have however bought a graphics card. So I can't expense anything with "gaming" in the title without causing trouble so I had to pay for it myself and that means no RTX because I'm a cheap arse. So I got a Gigabyte GTX 1660 w/ 6GB of RAM. It'll do for 1080p stuff and fan is off when idle / 2D which is important as it's a silent build. I couldn't get on with TensorFlow after playing with it anyway so meh and I wasn't really that impressed by the difference ray tracing made to games. CUDA on the other hand is fine and that has enough grunt for that.

I got a GTX 1650. Not sure if I have anything that will make use of it, thoughj.

Just a note. Windows licensing has changed. Download a windows image from their web site and boot it and just say “I don’t have a product key”. That’ll give you 30 days in the VM to apply the keyboard update.  No need to buy a key or anything.

honestly though I haven’t paid for a windows license ever  :-//. Usually buy ex corp machines On which windows 10 activates even if it’s a £75 crap box from 8 years ago or use MSDN keys.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58832 on: May 19, 2020, 08:51:04 am »
@mnem, OK using FRAPS it reports that with the graphics settings set to max shadows etc I'm getting on GTA V a rate of 60FPS and the lowest I've seen on so far has been 48FPS so it should easy to achieve better than that on a GTX1660 with 6GB  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58833 on: May 19, 2020, 08:57:30 am »
Yeah my RX 550 isn't even that shit with GTA V. Totally playable at 1080p. 1660 is for Metro Exodus on "high"  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58834 on: May 19, 2020, 09:10:38 am »
Yeah maybe for a hardcore gamer it might be worthwhile investing in a top rung card but for the casual gamer, I'd rather use that money else where. If you go for one of the top motherboards, cases, RAM, CPU, PSU, Keyboard, Graphics card and Mouse / Controller then you easily kiss goodbye to over £1,000. Hell, a PS4 with 1TB can be had new for around £300, so for way less than £1,000 you can have pretty beefy PC for video rendering / 3d CAD etc and a PS4  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58835 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:00 am »
But sometimes you just 'need' more FPS  :-DD

Console Gamers are .....  :box:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58836 on: May 19, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »
Just a note. Windows licensing has changed. Download a windows image from their web site and boot it and just say “I don’t have a product key”. That’ll give you 30 days in the VM to apply the keyboard update.  No need to buy a key or anything.

I hadn't realised that, and will consider it for the very occasional times when I need it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58837 on: May 19, 2020, 01:05:24 pm »

Haha, doom used to run perfectly on my Amatrad 1512 all those years ago as DOS game with those same primitive graphics, used to give me headaches  they were so bad, FPS was good though.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58838 on: May 19, 2020, 01:14:19 pm »

Haha, doom used to run perfectly on my Amatrad 1512 all those years ago as DOS game with those same primitive graphics, used to give me headaches  they were so bad, FPS was good though.

Doom? I'd say, this is Castle Wolfenstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein

Edit:
Sorry, meant Wolfenstein 3D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:16:34 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58839 on: May 19, 2020, 01:20:14 pm »
My Ryzen 3700X and 5700XT cope with Doom (original) and Hexen 'just' but I am a little concerned the 32Gb of memory might need an upgrade  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58840 on: May 19, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »
@mnem, OK using FRAPS it reports that with the graphics settings set to max shadows etc I'm getting on GTA V a rate of 60FPS and the lowest I've seen on so far has been 48FPS so it should easy to achieve better than that on a GTX1660 with 6GB  :-+

*cringe* Ummm..... yeah. For my VR, I need to do 2K (1440P) x2 at 90FPS or better or motion-blur-induced vertigo makes me wanna

I can pull 144-165FPS depending on the game on my Pixio PX329 32" monitor; but there is some annoying artifacting at those speeds unless I kill HDR and go straight 4:4:4 6-bit/ch colorspace. >:( There are some harsh tradeoffs you have to make when you get into this size/speed/resolution at this price.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:54:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58841 on: May 19, 2020, 03:02:37 pm »
My Ryzen 3700X and 5700XT cope with Doom (original) and Hexen 'just' but I am a little concerned the 32Gb of memory might need an upgrade  :-DD

32Gb is NOT enough here. I've got a whole elasticsearch cluster running in kubernetes in VMs and I'm banged out at 28Gb at the moment. Regretting not buying 16Gb sticks to start with now :palm:

*cringe* Ummm..... yeah. For my VR, I need to do 2K (1440P) x2 at 90FPS or better or motion-blur-induced vertigo makes me wanna

I can pull 144-165FPS depending on the game on my Pixio PX329 32" monitor; but there is some annoying artifacting at those speeds unless I kill HDR and go straight 4:4:4 6-bit/ch colorspace. >:( There are some harsh tradeoffs you have to make when you get into this size/speed/resolution at this price.  :-//

Yeah that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. I'm quite happy to plug some pigs and noobs for half an hour on GTA V occasionally at the moment. VR does me in. I can't do it. Prefer AR. But you go to jail there if you plug pigs and noobs.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #58842 on: May 19, 2020, 03:07:08 pm »
@bd 3TB of physical memory on my small docker installation ...

@mnementh get 2 GV100 then, that should suffice for your rendering applications ...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58843 on: May 19, 2020, 03:21:11 pm »

mnem
Manufacturers usually have some overdriven and ugly setting to be able to claim a very fast display. The settings you actually want to play with usually are a bit more mundane. Still fastish, but not what's advertised. That being said, compared to not that long ago modern monitors can do fast and a fairly good quality at the same time.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58844 on: May 19, 2020, 03:41:20 pm »
@bd 3TB of physical memory on my small docker installation ...

@mnementh get 2 GV100 then, that should suffice for your rendering applications ...

Just summed ours in prometheus across all hypervisors and AWS. 400TB RAM online  :scared:

Edit: miscount by 10x...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #58845 on: May 19, 2020, 04:24:53 pm »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58846 on: May 19, 2020, 05:09:35 pm »
...Well, now I'm out of anything to clean electronics: wife took all of the IPA, I used my last can of contact cleaner on Jr's bicycle, and I just used up the last of my DI H20. I'm going to have to leave the house now.

Go to your local hardware store. Buy methyl hydrate.  Research the difference in plastics/paints that are methanol safe vs those that are isopropyl safe. Find SMDS, refresh yourself on safe handling & avoid direct dermal contact as methanol has a certain atavism. ;)

Rejoice that you are smarter than all the 1d10ts who make face masks out of coffee filters stolen from med's Amazon delivery driver:palm:  I just got a gallon for $11 to replenish my bench; they had oodles.

mnem
 :-/O

Methyl hydrate? A methyl group plus water: CH3-<nothing> • H2O? Does not compute, contains free radical. One presumes you mean methanol, CH3-OH, which you could just about call Methyl Hydroxide if  you're not scared of the IUPAC naming hit squad. There are lots of alternative and traditional names for methanol but "methyl hydrate" is just plain wrong.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #58847 on: May 19, 2020, 06:01:13 pm »
Methyl hydrate? A methyl group plus water: CH3-<nothing> • H2O? Does not compute, contains free radical. One presumes you mean methanol, CH3-OH, which you could just about call Methyl Hydroxide if  you're not scared of the IUPAC naming hit squad. There are lots of alternative and traditional names for methanol but "methyl hydrate" is just plain wrong.

It may not be a "good" name, but the fact remains that it is often sold as methyl hydrate.  :)

I honestly have no idea where the methyl hydrate name came from and you're right, I agree that it really doesn't make any sense, but it's not my fault, I don't make the product labels.  :)

According to Wikipedia, other names for methanol include:

Carbinol, Columbian spirits, Hydroxymethane, MeOH, Methyl alcohol, Methyl hydrate, Methyl hydroxide, Methylic alcohol, Methylol, Pyroligneous spirit, Wood alcohol, Wood naphtha, and Wood spirit.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #58848 on: May 19, 2020, 07:30:04 pm »
Bought a 7 dollar AliExpress electronic load.......... no qlue why... but it gets you off the streets for  few hours.
can not find an other reason then to unload batteries, its useless for other proper load stuff.
needs still a housing and a digital A/V meter......... but could do some tests.

Review LM324 Electronic Load 150W 10A 72V Xiaolin

Tony

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:33:44 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #58849 on: May 19, 2020, 07:38:28 pm »

this reminds me that I wanted to build my Pacman Server.

We had joints we had fun, we had PacMan for the Sun ...

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf