Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16663553 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58750 on: May 18, 2020, 11:20:50 am »
Somehow Amazon's contract delivery has apparently lost my coffee filters which were never transferred to USPS. They already issued me a refund. First time a package has gone completely FUBAR except for the recent extended delivery times.

I stopped using Amazon early on in the crisis for those kinds of reasons...  I found that the vast army of independent eBay sellers did a better job overall than Amazon's centralized model during the tough times.  Amazon is a highly optimized operation that doesn't seem to deal well with "sand in the machinery", unlike the smaller shops and individuals on eBay.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58751 on: May 18, 2020, 11:52:44 am »
Dunno about over there but here Amazon is not meeting their 2 day ship commitments on "non-essential" Prime items. More often your order stays in a cue for as much as 5 days before it ships. Given that I pay extra for Prime I wonder if I bitched loud enough if they would issue a partial refund or extend my Prime account by a few months? Yea, sounds like a crappy thing to do given this pandemic situation but hey, I paid for a service that you are not honoring.

What to do? Be a jerk or just let it slide?  :P :-DD
I have been thinking the same thing myself. I think it would be a nice gesture if they were to issue a statement saying for the duration of the pandemic  and while they have this massive backlog to clear, that they automatically gave each prime member 6 months or even a years service free, its not as if they depend on our subscriptions to keep the company going.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58752 on: May 18, 2020, 11:57:51 am »
They usually promise 5 days here and it turns up next day  :-//

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58753 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
Dunno about over there but here Amazon is not meeting their 2 day ship commitments on "non-essential" Prime items. More often your order stays in a cue for as much as 5 days before it ships. Given that I pay extra for Prime I wonder if I bitched loud enough if they would issue a partial refund or extend my Prime account by a few months? Yea, sounds like a crappy thing to do given this pandemic situation but hey, I paid for a service that you are not honoring.

I have been thinking the same thing myself. I think it would be a nice gesture if they were to issue a statement saying for the duration of the pandemic  and while they have this massive backlog to clear, that they automatically gave each prime member 6 months or even a years service free, its not as if they depend on our subscriptions to keep the company going.

I canceled my Prime membership due to the slow shipping service - WTF am I paying for?  They can't blame the postal service because eBay sellers did not have the same levels of delay.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58754 on: May 18, 2020, 12:04:14 pm »
Whats done Amazon in is the fact that they sell food and ship loads of people have switched over to doing their food shopping on line and that is what they are prioritising right now over their normal day-to-day sales.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58755 on: May 18, 2020, 12:12:04 pm »
Somehow Amazon's contract delivery has apparently lost my coffee filters which were never transferred to USPS. They already issued me a refund. First time a package has gone completely FUBAR except for the recent extended delivery times.

They've probably been stolen to be used as improvised face masks.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58756 on: May 18, 2020, 12:35:11 pm »
Motherfucker at UPS. Just turned up to pick up parcel. Parked the van outside with the side open and I can see a fucking CPC keyboard shaped box. So I asked him to check it.

"got no deliveries today mate for you"

Told him to check it.

"oh looks like it wasnt on the manifest"

Now have keyboard

:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58757 on: May 18, 2020, 12:36:25 pm »

I canceled my Prime membership due to the slow shipping service - WTF am I paying for?  They can't blame the postal service because eBay sellers did not have the same levels of delay.

It's not the shipping itself that's the issue. Once they finally do fill the order and ship it I get it just as quickly as before the shit hit the fan. The problem is internal to Amazon and actually filling the order. For example: I just ordered motor oil that's a Prime item. They are not going to fill the order and ship until May 28th and it's in stock.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58758 on: May 18, 2020, 12:37:46 pm »
Motherfucker at UPS. Just turned up to pick up parcel. Parked the van outside with the side open and I can see a fucking CPC keyboard shaped box. So I asked him to check it.

Told him to check it.

Now have keyboard

D'OH.  ::) ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58759 on: May 18, 2020, 12:40:03 pm »

Told him to check it.

Now have keyboard

WTF, you've got my fffing keyboard......... good job you spotted that package and checked it.

Postman just been here and still no bleeding MAX134, so I just messaged the seller and asked them for any tracking info on it, its getting on for 2 weeks now since I ordered the sucker, only coming from Germany FFS.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:42:03 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #58760 on: May 18, 2020, 12:42:14 pm »
Now have keyboard

Shipping companies have so much demand of van drivers they are starting a program to train african monkeys to get the job done. Probably it will improve the current situation.

how is the keyboard? I am for brown cherry key, you got red ones right?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58761 on: May 18, 2020, 12:51:19 pm »
Went for reds. Keyboard very nice apart from one really flipping annoying "feature" and that is the cherry lock function. Perfect for games but when in office mode, which honest is what this keyboard will be spending most of its time in, it has the scariest bright white LED under the windows key that you've ever seen.

On a positive not it's a lot quieter than the reds are in the K63. it's about the same as an old Cherry business line keyboard on noise. Absolutely glorious to type on though and the wrist rest and positioning is perfect.

I'll desolder that LED this evening as it appears no warranty stickers are obscuring any screws :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58762 on: May 18, 2020, 12:53:16 pm »
Postman just been here and still no bleeding MAX134, so I just messaged the seller and asked them for any tracking info on it, its getting on for 2 weeks now since I ordered the sucker, only coming from Germany FFS.

Let me know if I can help, e.g. order this thing and send it to you.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58763 on: May 18, 2020, 12:56:23 pm »
Went for reds. Keyboard very nice apart from one really flipping annoying "feature" and that is the cherry lock function. Perfect for games but when in office mode, which honest is what this keyboard will be spending most of its time in, it has the scariest bright white LED under the windows key that you've ever seen.

On a positive not it's a lot quieter than the reds are in the K63. it's about the same as an old Cherry business line keyboard on noise. Absolutely glorious to type on though and the wrist rest and positioning is perfect.

I'll desolder that LED this evening as it appears no warranty stickers are obscuring any screws :-DD
Yep, those Corsair keyboards are a tad noisy, guess its the size of the enclosure itself that has zero sound damping properties. I think that you turn the windows lock function off anyway, rather opening it and desoldering the LED and voiding the warranty?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58764 on: May 18, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »
There was a firmware update for the keyboard that fixed that brightness issue. Happy now  :-+

Version 1.03: Add brightness values for dim of the modifier status display:
The status display (Cap-Lock, Scroll-Lock, Num-Lock, FN-Lock and Gaming-Mode) will dim from 80 % to 30 % of the button illumination. The brightness of 30 % is the darkest value for the active status display.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58765 on: May 18, 2020, 12:58:48 pm »

It's not the shipping itself that's the issue. Once they finally do fill the order and ship it I get it just as quickly as before the shit hit the fan. The problem is internal to Amazon and actually filling the order. For example: I just ordered motor oil that's a Prime item. They are not going to fill the order and ship until May 28th and it's in stock.

I just realized that my Prime comes due for renewal at the end of this month. Hmmmm....I've decided that a friendly letter to customer service is in order. I'll let everyone know what they respond with.   

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58766 on: May 18, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »

Thanks, I'll wait and see what they say first. Its probably held up in some back log at a sorting office somewhere but today was the last day of the eBay anticipated delivery slot and I really thought that being a German company that they would have dispatched it quicker then they did. Most things I get from Germany arrrive really quickly :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58767 on: May 18, 2020, 01:09:37 pm »
LOL depends with the Germans (no offense to BU508A). There are a lot of traditional businesses there who don't seem to have the same day urgency that everyone expects now. Bamatech is a good one. When you place an order they give you a dispatch date some time in the distant future. The item will be dispatched on that date but never sooner or later  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58768 on: May 18, 2020, 01:13:33 pm »

Thanks, I'll wait and see what they say first. Its probably held up in some back log at a sorting office somewhere but today was the last day of the eBay anticipated delivery slot and I really thought that being a German company that they would have dispatched it quicker then they did. Most things I get from Germany arrrive really quickly :palm:

I've ordered several times at Kessler-electronic and never had an issue with them. In my cases they were fast and reliable.
Btw, mouser has them as well for nearly the same price (as a plan B):
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX134CPL%2b?qs=p6VZ%252BklCkRTI1oYFuem2og%3D%3D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58769 on: May 18, 2020, 01:17:04 pm »
LOL depends with the Germans (no offense to BU508A). There are a lot of traditional businesses there who don't seem to have the same day urgency that everyone expects now. Bamatech is a good one. When you place an order they give you a dispatch date some time in the distant future. The item will be dispatched on that date but never sooner or later  :-DD

No worries.  :-+  It's as always: it depends on the people. Some are quick, some are not so. And when a paper is saying "deliver this at X"
then the average German will do so. Not earlier, not later.  :-//  ::)  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58770 on: May 18, 2020, 01:22:31 pm »
I just realized that my Prime comes due for renewal at the end of this month. Hmmmm....I've decided that a friendly letter to customer service is in order. I'll let everyone know what they respond with.

One of the traditional "confuse the consumer" techniques that Amazon have adopted is to bundle multiple things together so the cost of each isn't apparent. In this case the obvious example is delivery and TV programs. There may be others, but I only use Amazon rarely.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58771 on: May 18, 2020, 01:23:44 pm »

You have to wonder how waiting 5 days to send it helps anything?  -  All they are doing is introducing a 5 day delay, they are not altering the size of the stream of goods...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58772 on: May 18, 2020, 01:32:03 pm »
Well they replied really quickly and say that they dispatched on the 12th May via letter post, no tracking provided and the address is correct so hopefully it is sitting in the post office waiting to come out to somewhere? I'll give it a couple of days before escalating it as a claim with eBay.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58773 on: May 18, 2020, 01:35:45 pm »

No worries.  :-+  It's as always: it depends on the people. Some are quick, some are not so. And when a paper is saying "deliver this at X"
then the average German will do so. Not earlier, not later.  :-//  ::)  ;D
Thanks for the offer and info, they have replied (see my reply to bd139). I'll wait until I get either the chip delivered in a couple of days or not, before I look at alternative sources. It has already had a full recap and if I end buying 2 chips then it might be BER.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58774 on: May 18, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
Well they replied really quickly and say that they dispatched on the 12th May via letter post, no tracking provided and the address is correct so hopefully it is sitting in the post office waiting to come out to somewhere? I'll give it a couple of days before escalating it as a claim with eBay.

Maybe someone on the post-office is meditating over your letter to improve the karma of the MAX134?  :-//   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf