Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16666853 times)

Jouko and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58675 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:07 am »
To be fair that's what I do when I drive around there  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58676 on: May 17, 2020, 11:08:27 am »

Never been there but I'd like to. Maybe one day before I take a dirt nap.

(Been to Heathrow to catch a connecting flight to Edinburgh but I didn't yell out the window.  :-DD)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58677 on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:27 am »
It's pretty shit. I wouldn't bother. I'm not actually sure why the hell anyone bothers to hit the city.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58678 on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:45 am »

You didn't mention yet you had irish blood too.   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58679 on: May 17, 2020, 11:17:43 am »
Not Irish. Just not a fan of Westminster  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58680 on: May 17, 2020, 11:17:44 am »
It's pretty shit. I wouldn't bother. I'm not actually sure why the hell anyone bothers to hit the city.

You mean Dublin or London...or both?  >:D ;D

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58681 on: May 17, 2020, 01:06:35 pm »
It's morning time before lunch and you're discussing alcoholic drinks, ts, ts, ts..   :-DD    :popcorn:
Not here !  :P
Just thinking about finding the scratcher and a pillow. Even though Bean's 2.5 hrs behind us, after his 3rd G&GB he might be looking for a pillow soon too.

I am not well versed in the ways of the drink but I have plenty of relatives who are..... :o :-DD

There are stories passed down in our family about one of our great-great-great-grandfathers who lived in Dublin. The story, as I remember it, was that he worked in a distillery and one day fell into a huge vat of whisky and drowned. Apparently his co-workers tried to save him by pulling him out but he kept diving back in.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58682 on: May 17, 2020, 02:07:36 pm »
Spec, did I miss something -or am I second?   >:D   :popcorn:

Here are some information from the guy which invented this frequency counter / crystal tester:

https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/freq_counter/freq_counter.html

Thanks for the the linking to the author! I was wondering how and where to find information on that little XTAL tester yesterday when I traced down a fault that made it stop working*..

Here is mine:

Used two layers of package tape for masking the LED display for better visibility and readability.

And here it is, checking an 8MHz SMD type quartz:

*- I put the quartz all way in sitting on top of the surface of the PCB. The first run was succesful but when I had it assembled into its housing the little gadget didn't work anymore. Traced it down to the 20MHz XTAL didn't start oscillating. I changed the two resonator caps -no success. I exchanged it with the 8MHz quartz -that worked -but obviously that wouldn't count right.
After putting it back in without soldering I noticed that I could get it working in one position but it was failing in another with the same behaviour as before.
Resolution was: The via soldering points are bigger than the isolation diameter of the quartz's legs and would sometimes cause a short to the housing of the quartz.   :palm:
Temporarily put a piece of paper between PCB an quartz that I removed after soldering and it works happily now.   ;D
Nice little piece of kit.

Found today some time to play a little bit with my X-tal tester. And it is working¹:

This is one of the crystals I've ordered last year  in .cz for my HP3456A. Those crystals are needed if you operate a 3456A with 50Hz for a better accuracy.

¹ It helps, if you put the crystal under test in the correct socket. Not the blue one.  :palm:   |O   :-DD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:12:21 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, URI

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58683 on: May 17, 2020, 02:15:38 pm »
It's morning time before lunch and you're discussing alcoholic drinks, ts, ts, ts..   :-DD    :popcorn:
Us Brits are only replying, as usual cobber, its Aussies and their bloody children sized measures that they have down under  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Personally, I think it's considerate; to the brewers, who make more money for more bottles, and to those who have to be around the imbibers; smaller doses allow one to drink just the right amount to get a proper buzz before the brew goes warm and skunky, without feeling obligated to drink that nasty-ass half a bottle too much and then turn assoholic.  ;)

Oh, wait... I forgot... y'all scone-eaters LIKE yer brew that way.  :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58684 on: May 17, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »
3-4 shots (80-100ml) of Gin, GB 375 ml, 1/2 a Lemon for Scurvy prevention and just an appropriate amount of room for non slopage  ;)I specially made this third one for 'science'  >:D

And I assume the pickled fruit flies are to add a little protein; make it a balanced meal, right...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:28:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58685 on: May 17, 2020, 02:52:01 pm »
@AVGresponding:

Yesterday, at the discord session you've explanied to me this "dike" expression. First, Ihad the impression you were talking about "Dick van Dyke" but when you came up with your explanation, something triggered in my memory which I couldn't catch up first. Then, today, while I was playing with the x-tal tester, it stroke me. And this is the result:

In my teen time I've played this song all day long without knowing the meaning of it.  ::)   :-DD
Some years later I've listened to a moderator from my favourite Radio station (SWF3) wher he refused to translate this song into German, because he wants to keep his job, because he's liking what he is doing.  ;D
Curious then, I started a search for the lyrics and translated them. And started laughing.  :-DD
Since then I'm telling my nephew how important it is to understand foreign languages.  8)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #58686 on: May 17, 2020, 03:00:29 pm »
Like when religious people sing "Halleluia" from Cohen at the top of their lungs  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #58687 on: May 17, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
It's no surprise that the crystal is failed and the electron tube is failed. But the machine is beautiful and the circuit can be repaired.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:09:30 pm by jxjbsd »
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58688 on: May 17, 2020, 03:22:42 pm »
@AVGresponding:   Yesterday, at the discord session you've explanied to me this "dike" expression. First, Ihad the impression you were talking about "Dick van Dyke" but when you came up with your explanation, something triggered in my memory which I couldn't catch up first. Then, today, while I was playing with the x-tal tester, it stroke me. And this is the result:

In my teen time I've played this song all day long without knowing the meaning of it.  ::)   :-DD   Some years later I've listened to a moderator from my favourite Radio station (SWF3) where he refused to translate this song into German, because he wants to keep his job, because he's liking what he is doing.  ;D   Curious then, I started a search for the lyrics and translated them. And started laughing.  :-DD   Since then I'm telling my nephew how important it is to understand foreign languages.  8)

Whassamatter with a good pair of dikes...?  :o

Oh.... you mean dykes... :P Watch out for the ones that greet you at the door with a ginormous mastiff in tow. Some of them don't bat for either team.

mnem
"Ouchies, Mister Sqweek..."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:25:50 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58689 on: May 17, 2020, 04:04:49 pm »
Well I figured out why the Type 561B went up in flames yesterday. I swapped two very similar color coded wires which resulted in placing about +400V in an area that should only see about +125V.  :palm:

The carnage: Four carbon comps obliterated. One TO-92 transistor split down the middle. Two TO-5 transistors open. Luckily all those parts are readily available. But there's more. The Tek spec TO-3 of course unobtanium regulator transistor also took the hit and is open. Considerable google fu finally turned up a suitable (and available) replacement. So I'll order the parts and put this project on hold for the time being.

Can't win them all.  :-//   

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58690 on: May 17, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »
I'll pray for you, old friend:-+

One would think pretty much any common HOT of recent generation would be adequate, as long as gain is similar...?

mnem
NO TZZZZZT! FOR YOOOU!!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:17:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58691 on: May 17, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »
Nice one med. I’d have probably thrown it out of the window after that  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58692 on: May 17, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »

One would think pretty much any common HOT of recent generation would be adequate, as long as gain is similar...?

mnem
NO TZZZZZT! FOR YOOOU!!!

Yep, but I just wanted to match it as close as I could.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58693 on: May 17, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »
Nice one med. I’d have probably thrown it out of the window after that  :-DD

And dent up the freshly painted covers?  :P :P :-DD :-DD

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:30:54 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58694 on: May 17, 2020, 04:43:57 pm »
Well I figured out why the Type 561B went up in flames yesterday. I swapped two very similar color coded wires which resulted in placing about +400V in an area that should only see about +125V.  :palm:

The carnage: Four carbon comps obliterated. One TO-92 transistor split down the middle. Two TO-5 transistors open. Luckily all those parts are readily available. But there's more. The Tek spec TO-3 of course unobtanium regulator transistor also took the hit and is open. Considerable google fu finally turned up a suitable (and available) replacement. So I'll order the parts and put this project on hold for the time being.

Opps seems that we have another PF in our midst  :-DD Seriously, thats a real bummer when something like that happens, at least you were able to find the part otherwise it would have been costly mistake to make. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58695 on: May 17, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »

Something similar happend to me in my early days. Blew up a device because I've mixed up some wires. Since then, when I think it could become unclear which wire belongs to which place, I'm marking them with coloured shrinking tube and write down a note, where it should be connected. Perhaps a little bit more work, but better in any case than to blow up lots of parts. Good luck with your repair of the repair.  :-+  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:53:59 pm by BU508A »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58696 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:26 pm »
:bd139, have you played GTA yet? I downloaded it but for some reason it doesnt want to allow me to open the required Rockstar Lounge thingy  :rant:

Edit. I just went to the garage to fill up with diesel while the prices are low, only needed about 1/3rd of a tank full, not been used much other shopping all this time. Just checked on the last time I filled up, it was 7 weeks ago, strewth. Also I've noticed during the lockdown just how much slower almost everyone is driving these days, possibly a result of there being no traffic hold ups so nobody needs to make up for lost time at traffic lights etc? :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:57:01 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58697 on: May 17, 2020, 04:57:27 pm »

Something similar happend to me in my early days. Blew up a device because I've mixed up some wires. Since then, when I think it could become unclear which wire belongs to which place, I'm marking them with coloured shrinking tube and write down a note, where it should be connected. Perhaps a little bit more work, but better in any case than to blow up lots of parts. Good luck with your repair of the repair.  :-+  :)

Yeah; I've developed a similar system using hashmarks with a Sharpie (or colored Sharpies as applicable) backed up with egregious iPad picture-taking. One of the GREAT strengths of the device; large screen and large format hi-res/high-quality pics, and a UI that makes them easy to scroll through. :-+

mnem
 :phew:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:59:15 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58698 on: May 17, 2020, 04:59:38 pm »

Yeah; I've developed a similar system using hashmarks with a Sharpie (or colored Sharpies as applicable) backed up with egregious iPad picture-taking. One of the GREAT strengths of the device; large screen and large hi-res pics, and easy to scroll through. :-+

mnem
 :phew:
I just take lots of close up phone photos, and pop them up on the PC, 23" picture provides decent clarity for the smallest detail normally.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58699 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:47 pm »
Not here !  :P
Just thinking about finding the scratcher and a pillow. Even though Bean's 2.5 hrs behind us, after his 3rd G&GB he might be looking for a pillow soon too.

I am not well versed in the ways of the drink but I have plenty of relatives who are..... :o :-DD

Any one of many of my friends or relatives could have written that script  :palm:

McBryce.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:13:42 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf