Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16665180 times)

yuhar and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58450 on: May 14, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »
Actually just looked up boofhead. Need to use that here. Much politer than our versions of it  :-DD
Lots of boofheads in NZ and for that matter probably most other places ....it was the Bulldog Gag bit that got me ! LMAO

LOL... actually, I assumed it was a slang for cops derived from the appearance of Her Majesty's Guard. Now I'm hugely disappointed that it merely refers to the casual dunderhead.  :palm:

mnem
*Toddles off to find something to do for Anniversary Dinner*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58451 on: May 14, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »
   Boofhead = bobblehead. It fits.  :-DD

Yeah, except that rendition is actually a huge improvement; makes that walking waddling sack of shit look like an actual human being.  :palm:

mnem
No, thank you.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58452 on: May 14, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »
Another Apple device, a little bit more sophisticated:   ;D   :-+

*skips ahead to the part where we see it work*  Actually, EXACTLY as complicated as it needs to be for mass-production of peeled apples.  :clap:

mnem
*adds another crazy Canuck to the watchlist, ehhh...!?! *

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58453 on: May 14, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »
It’s a piece of piss. The issue is usually a complete inability to hit two rocks together. Which is rife in any IT automation.

I’m watching someone spending all day every day opening github PR’s with a data script in which does a one line SQL update. This is manually approved by someone really expensive and then deployed by someone else. No one has ever declined a review. The deployment sits in a queue for 2 days. During this time the client is angry because this is something the analysts didn’t think of that is an edge case. I suggested that we just build a form in a couple of hours. Ticket gets put at end of queue.

That’s a moderately less complex case than stock control but this is normal in IT so you can imagine what that could become behind the scenes.

mnem

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:49:12 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58454 on: May 14, 2020, 05:52:29 pm »
Different topic.

I'm currently designing new extension boards 44 and 30 pins, they will be about 100mm long.
If someone  is interested for some PCB I should be able to add some extra to my order.

Extension board like that:

Alex
Where do those fit?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58455 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:42 pm »
   Edit: meant to post this earlier. Very cool article: http://www.righto.com/2020/05/tiny-transformer-inside-decapping.html

That is some effing amazing tech; even if only good for 0.5W. This is the kind of shit that makes me hopeful that Star Trek tech might actually happen before we vaporize the planet or melt it into a toxic goo...

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #58456 on: May 14, 2020, 06:18:04 pm »
Different topic.

I'm currently designing new extension boards 44 and 30 pins, they will be about 100mm long.
If someone  is interested for some PCB I should be able to add some extra to my order.

Alex
Where do those fit?

Based on the part number, my guess would be the 5060A Cesium Beam Standard, but the reality is it can be used to extend any of the 36 contact cards as long as the socket isn't warded such that it can't fit.  (Most in my experience are not warded.) I have an assortment collected over the years from many different things.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58457 on: May 14, 2020, 06:25:47 pm »
   Edit: meant to post this earlier. Very cool article: http://www.righto.com/2020/05/tiny-transformer-inside-decapping.html

That is some effing amazing tech; even if only good for 0.5W. This is the kind of shit that makes me hopeful that Star Trek tech might actually happen before we vaporize the planet or melt it into a toxic goo...

mnem

Awesome, but not exactly cheap.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58458 on: May 14, 2020, 06:58:58 pm »
Nope. 30% loss. Couple of curries worth here so not the end of the world plus with the attention to general fitness at the moment it's probably a good thing  :-DD

Edit: correct horrible use of English caused by lack of caffeine today.
Why did you sell it? Seemed pretty good for the money and reasonably capable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58459 on: May 14, 2020, 07:07:01 pm »
Oh, I see, but the basic functions you mention for VLC, media player, short cuts to things like calculator etc are built into almost every modern keyboard these days, even my cheap keyboard (with the flashy LED lighting which can be disabled) has those.

Indeed. The difficulty is finding one that has those features and uniform keys and layout as well as non horrible key switches. If I pick the first 10 on amazon:

1. Logitech K120 - no media keys
2. pictek ultra slim - key caps too high, unknown keybed
3. Kensington valuKeyboard - tiny F keys
4. RK100 - key caps too high, unknown keybed
5. Logitech G213 - horrible to typo on (tried one)
6. Q Connect - weird ass edit keys layout
7. Microsoft wired keyboard 600 - pissy little F keys
8. VicTsing ultra slim - fucked up keyboard layout
9. Havit Gaming Keyboard - IE button. Seriously? On a fucking gaming keyboard. Are you having a laugh?
10. Dell KB216 - Fucked up overlaid break /print screen keys. Chiclets. Tiny F keys. Kill me with a spoon.

>:(

What the hell happened to people not selling a pile of wank for lack of a better phrase.

If someone produced a keyboard that had a proper layout, half decent (not even 100% decent) switches, media keys that weren't a ball ache, no wanky LED lighting, with windows key and menu key for around £40 I reckon they would KILL everything on the market instantly.
Yep, keyboards are very personal as you pointed out, so many think that they are being trendy with smaller key caps, smaller formats etc. I used to enjoy going round to Comets, PC World, Curry's, Staples, Staples, Computer World etc and having a little play on their assorted keyboards. You could always pick out the ones that had poor ergonomics, they would be the ones that had missing key caps because they got knocked off. There was a time that I had Logitech keyboards and thought they were great but then it suddenly dawned on me that they didn't last very long, and then they went really stupid with odd sized keys. Since I switched to mechanical switches I have not had any issues with them breaking and the Corsair keyboards, although mechanical and Cherry switches, each row was a different height and keys get knocked of easily as a result. The keys on my current, Zero keyboard are just right, form a nice gentle curve from the space bar to the function keys and feels about right. :-+

Here's something to whet your appetite with.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:14:44 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #58460 on: May 14, 2020, 07:30:16 pm »
So my latest addition just arrived.  It's a Lafayette Lab tester, once I saw the chain driven selection switch I added it to my watch list.
991420-0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:32:36 pm by alextwin007 »
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58461 on: May 14, 2020, 07:50:33 pm »
Nope. 30% loss. Couple of curries worth here so not the end of the world plus with the attention to general fitness at the moment it's probably a good thing  :-DD

Five reasons:

1. The UI quite frankly sucked balls.
2. The counter sucked balls.
3. I’m not doing any RF stuff any time soon. All digital and audio. So don’t need it.
4. Nowhere to put my coffee.
5. Possibly downsizing to nearly nothing pending house exodus (this I assure you is temporary)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #58462 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:34 pm »

Yeah. I've been meaning to build an opto-isolated USB-RS232 thingamajing to connect up my geothermal pump, and one of those looks the part to drive the MAX232 on the floating side of things. Actually have some doodles in KiCAD somewhere..

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58463 on: May 14, 2020, 09:07:40 pm »

Five reasons:

2. The counter sucked balls.
3. I’m not doing any RF stuff any time soon. All digital and audio. So don’t need it.
4. Nowhere to put my coffee.
5. Possibly downsizing to nearly nothing pending house exodus (this I assure you is temporary)
What's your plan ? SDG1032X hacked to the 60 MHz model ?

Technically the SDG2000X models are better as they're 16 bit and they have touch display but on just a 4" display it's not something you use heaps although there are times when it's handy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #58464 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:23 pm »
replacement for my blown up RTX2070 arrived today.
It more or less works but consumes way too much electricity for my comfort. While the Zotac works with 140 W, the Asus eats 185 W.
but at least, it works.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58465 on: May 14, 2020, 09:15:25 pm »

Five reasons:

Never having used an AWG, I assume the only decent UI is the IDE you use when creating the values in your favourite HLL ( probably Python for this).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58466 on: May 14, 2020, 09:38:39 pm »

Technically the SDG2000X models are better as they're 16 bit and they have touch display but on just a 4" display it's not something you use heaps although there are times when it's handy.

Probably unhacked SDG1032X. Don't need 60MHz now. I'll buy one when I next need one :)

Never having used an AWG, I assume the only decent UI is the IDE you use when creating the values in your favourite HLL ( probably Python for this).

Most test gear seems to have a half decent UI on it. Just the DG800/900 appears to be propped up by the cheap android phone display market plus clearly snooting up the sony car radio designer's favourite drugs. It requires you to switch between the tactile controls and the touch screen to change context which is confusing as hell. Ultimately both the touch UI and the tactile UI are pretty poor. Design over substance. Either that or when they did the user study they used a meth head.

As for driving by python, yes. Composing instruments is super-powerful. Difficult with the DG800. No ethernet or IP without a dongle which is unobtainable here suddenly. SDG1032X built in. Bingo.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58467 on: May 14, 2020, 09:48:35 pm »

Probably unhacked SDG1032X. Don't need 60MHz now. I'll buy one when I next need one :)

Most test gear seems to have a half decent UI on it. Just the DG800/900 appears to be propped up by the cheap android phone display market plus clearly snooting up the sony car radio designer's favourite drugs. It requires you to switch between the tactile controls and the touch screen to change context which is confusing as hell. Ultimately both the touch UI and the tactile UI are pretty poor. Design over substance. Either that or when they did the user study they used a meth head.

As for driving by python, yes. Composing instruments is super-powerful. Difficult with the DG800. No ethernet or IP without a dongle which is unobtainable here suddenly. SDG1032X built in. Bingo.
OK good. That's the one thing that's missing in Siglent's EasyWaveX SW, a SCPI command line for that you need use python, matlab or similar.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58468 on: May 14, 2020, 10:02:35 pm »
Yeah good thing with SCPI and ethernet / IP is you don't really need a library though.

Code: [Select]
$ nc host 5025 <<END
C1:BSWV FRQ,2000
C1:BSWV AMP,3
C1:OUTP LOAD,50
C1:OUTP ON
END

Drive it from anything! :)

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58469 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:30 pm »
Different topic.

Alex
Where do those fit?

Based on the part number, my guess would be the 5060A Cesium Beam Standard, but the reality is it can be used to extend any of the 36 contact cards as long as the socket isn't warded such that it can't fit.  (Most in my experience are not warded.) I have an assortment collected over the years from many different things.

-Pat

don't look at the part number, this picture was just used as example.

Actually  these extension boards are used to service a lot of different vintage HP instruments.
In my case I need 2 44pins and 2 30pins to debug my 8903a.

I have used this kind of extension board in my 5340a

Alex

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #58470 on: May 14, 2020, 10:27:36 pm »
Different topic.

Alex
Where do those fit?

-Pat

don't look at the part number, this picture was just used as example.

Actually  these extension boards are used to service a lot of different vintage HP instruments.
In my case I need 2 44pins and 2 30pins to debug my 8903a.

I have used this kind of extension board in my 5340a

Alex

I understand, but was answering NS's specific question.  Having a bunch of various flavors of extender cards is invaluable for working on the older gear.  Often it came with them based on a lot of the older manuals, but no doubt quickly parted company with them once they were initially sold.  Patience on the bay of evil will eventually get you what you need for not too insane a price.  Patience is the key because a lot of people want ridiculous prices for them.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58471 on: May 14, 2020, 11:22:11 pm »
It more or less works but consumes way too much electricity for my comfort. While the Zotac works with 140 W, the Asus eats 185 W.
but at least, it works.

OOoooh don't get me started on that. I'm sitting in the living room with my oldest and she's playing Metro Exodus and I fancy a go at that but like hell I'm going to play it on the the xbox one. Unfortunately when I put my PC together as it was a "workstation" I chucked an ass end RX550 in it. Thus it's got no oomph. Been down the graphics card rabbit hole for about 2 hours now...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #58472 on: May 15, 2020, 02:49:32 am »
Another Apple device, a little bit more sophisticated:   ;D   :-+

*skips ahead to the part where we see it work*  Actually, EXACTLY as complicated as it needs to be for mass-production of peeled apples.  :clap:

mnem
*adds another crazy Canuck to the watchlist, ehhh...!?! *

That's a cool device. I want one.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #58473 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:01 am »
So my latest addition just arrived.  It's a Lafayette Lab tester, once I saw the chain driven selection switch I added it to my watch list.
(Attachment Link)

That's neat, Alex. Added to the POI. Do you have a model number or any other info on it?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58474 on: May 15, 2020, 03:45:29 am »
but at least, it works.

Wait, what? You got ASUS as replacement for a Zotac...? Good deal, especially if it was a ROG edition, which the wattage suggests may be. Lower power requirement usually means either cores disabled or really overzealous power-throttling under load.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:21:34 am by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf