Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669016 times)

factory, Robert763, 6h8c, powerflux and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57375 on: April 29, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
BTW it appears AIM-TTi have opened an outlet ebay store based on the fact that it's all TTi stuff and location is Huntingdon. Some good stuff here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/testequipmentsales

I hate that!  >:(
I can only see the articles offered when I'm using the ebay.co.uk domain.
If I try to see the list via ebay.de, there is nothing. Nada. Niente.  >:(  :--
Really, I hate it, when ebay (or other platforms) trying to think for me.  *grrrrr*    :horse:
Yeah, it works the same way for us in the UK, when you guys post the item number of an item you spot of interest on the .de site, we cannot see it unless we change the .co.uk for .de
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57376 on: April 29, 2020, 10:23:12 pm »
Well I got thoroughly outbid earlier on this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233564510066  :--

Back to debugging C, which I'm actually enjoying for once  :-+

Edit: ... just did this and took 20% of the CPU cycles away from a tight loop :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Looks like original author didn't know what XOR was so invented his own.

~m & x | m & ~x  -> x ^ m

Moreover, the compiler doesn't seem to know what XOR is. That kind of strength reduction (e.g. I / 2 => I >> 1) is the cheapest, easiest optimization to implement and you are certain that you aren't changing the semantics of the code (which is not true for all optimizations, some are quite hairy which is why we now have clunky syntax for describing pointers in modern C). You ought to be able to write either expression and get exactly the same machine code.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #57377 on: April 29, 2020, 10:41:24 pm »
Hmmmmm, it's just odd that one never heard about it till a few years ago and now it's everywhere.

How ever did our grandparents survive?
Most worked harder than we've had too so good sleep was well earnt !  ;)

Can't say that in my case; growing up on the farm. But damned sure a lot harder than I've worked in the last couple decades, no doubt. :palm:

I guess those with sleep apnea were either insomniacs or grumpy bastards all but a day or two a week...
  :-DD

mnem
 :o

I have been on CPAP therapy for over 10 years now.  Still a grumpy bastard but at least I sleep well. >:(
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57378 on: April 29, 2020, 10:46:10 pm »
Me too, sometimes. :-DD

mnem
C'est la vie! :-//
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:48:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57379 on: April 29, 2020, 10:46:57 pm »

A quick Heads-Up from the Tool-Dwagon: I just picked up the Dremel 711-01 accessory kit at Wally World for CAD$13 (price in-store; it's still US$23 online); it's got a good assortment of all the stuff you use up and not a lot of the crap you don't.

30 of the cheap 1" cutoff wheels (+1 of the good 1.5" ones), 20 buffing pads with a little tub of rouge, 40 sanding drums, 45 sandpaper discs, 2x each style mandrel, plus 4x grindstones & 1/8" burr, and a Dremel wrench. Good value at that price, tho it looks like they've discontinued the set in favor of one with their damned quick-lock cutoff wheels. ::)

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O
And please, stay well clear of the BNCs with that!

Agreed! Unless, of course, you're using it to cut in the new BNC! ;)

is there anydremel out there ?   don't remind of of the dremel stuff. We got plenty of those rotting away in several dark places ...   No time to use them or government restrictions prohibiting us from doing the stuff we like.   
If you think of the clearly superior Proxxon ones, does it get better that way? :-DD

/M, proxxon-owner
+1 for Proxxon  :-+

Nice equipment... tho shipping makes bigger tools like the IBS/E prohibitive to me. I have no complaint with Dremel; I use 2 that are 20 & 25 years old and aside from replacing brushes/bearings, both are still 100% original and work amazingly well. Right now I'm using a 120W Wen because it was CAD$20/NIB on Kijiji when I needed one. I may look into Proxxon again when I go visit the States, or if dad asks what I want for Christmas.  ;)
Their mini belt-sander is a nice-looking detail tool, and the cordless rotary is , but its not BL and with shipping it costs as much as my 6 Kobalt BL drills/impacts/saw put together. :scared: Those 40W 60 series are nice minis tho... and even with shipping still quite reasonable, as long as I buy only the motor head and use my own 12V power source.
:-+

mnem
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:51:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57380 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:35 pm »
Well I got thoroughly outbid earlier on this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233564510066  :--

Back to debugging C, which I'm actually enjoying for once  :-+

Edit: ... just did this and took 20% of the CPU cycles away from a tight loop :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Looks like original author didn't know what XOR was so invented his own.

~m & x | m & ~x  -> x ^ m

Moreover, the compiler doesn't seem to know what XOR is. That kind of strength reduction (e.g. I / 2 => I >> 1) is the cheapest, easiest optimization to implement and you are certain that you aren't changing the semantics of the code (which is not true for all optimizations, some are quite hairy which is why we now have clunky syntax for describing pointers in modern C). You ought to be able to write either expression and get exactly the same machine code.

Certain optimisation levels in GCC probably do optimise this. They also get progressively more broken. I’m porting to clang soon as well. I haven’t looked at the makefile yet but -g does disable some optimisations. I have had GCC’s dead code elimination toast entire loop bodies (and asserts) before! 

Shifting a bit left and right to multiply or divide by 2 has some foot guns hiding it you’re not careful particularly with portability and overflowing into the sign bit. Best not to wake up in the morning to unexpected buggery :)

The following users thanked this post: Zoli

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57381 on: April 30, 2020, 01:23:11 am »
Shifting a bit left and right to multiply or divide by 2 has some foot guns hiding it you’re not careful particularly with portability and overflowing into the sign bit. Best not to wake up in the morning to unexpected buggery :)

Yeah, but this ought to be done in a bit of the compiler that ought to know enough about the target machine not to deploy the foot guns. Strength reduction is just about the safest optimization, if a compiler can't get that right it's probably got bigger problems.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #57382 on: April 30, 2020, 01:53:27 am »
I have been on CPAP therapy for over 10 years now.  Still a grumpy bastard but at least I sleep well. >:(
That seems completely natural.  You developed a skill to cope with a situation and even though that situation has been addressed, the skill still remains ... to be utilised.   ;)

Me too, sometimes. :-DD
Q.E.D.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #57383 on: April 30, 2020, 02:36:37 am »

Q.E.D.

So what has my surrogate Enabler offered you?  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57384 on: April 30, 2020, 03:29:53 am »
That greatest of temptations... A quiet, normal life.  ;)

mnem
Weeth seex joo get egg loll!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57385 on: April 30, 2020, 03:40:28 am »

Yeah, it works the same way for us in the UK, when you guys post the item number of an item you spot of interest on the .de site, we cannot see it unless we change the .co.uk for .de

And basket is per site, while watch list is global, as is account. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, indeed.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #57386 on: April 30, 2020, 06:44:49 am »
Hi guys,

Review of my new buy... from china... 60Mhz function generator.

Tony
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57387 on: April 30, 2020, 07:16:44 am »

Yeah, but this ought to be done in a bit of the compiler that ought to know enough about the target machine not to deploy the foot guns. Strength reduction is just about the safest optimization, if a compiler can't get that right it's probably got bigger problems.

True. It is GCC here so bigger problems it does have.

I was actually teaching my youngest how to do that in base 10 last week. Her compiler is better than GCC  :palm:

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57388 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:14 am »
And now you come along with an AC calibrator (much more in need, as I do have some DC calibrators, albeit no top notch ones). :scared:

Regarding the Yokogawa YEW 2558 AC calibrator: recently on TIN's ftp-server showed up a lot of manuals etc. from Yokogawa which usually are hard to find:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/yokogawa-2558-ac-voltage-standard-service-manual/

Well, thank you again! The unavailability of a manual was a good reason to resist the temptation. Grrr.

But then, you don't even seem to be interested. Wouldn't you like it?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57389 on: April 30, 2020, 08:10:01 am »
And now you come along with an AC calibrator (much more in need, as I do have some DC calibrators, albeit no top notch ones). :scared:

Regarding the Yokogawa YEW 2558 AC calibrator: recently on TIN's ftp-server showed up a lot of manuals etc. from Yokogawa which usually are hard to find:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/yokogawa-2558-ac-voltage-standard-service-manual/

Well, thank you again! The unavailability of a manual was a good reason to resist the temptation. Grrr.

But then, you don't even seem to be interested. Wouldn't you like it?

Believe me, I would. But at the moment I can't buy it. Had to pay 4kEUR for car service and repairs (brakes worn out, motor for the windscreen wipers, leakage of the air-conditioning plus replacing the squeaky fan, new tyres (summer) ...   ::) )
So, if you would give this nice calibrator a tender home, please feel free to do so. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:25:19 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57390 on: April 30, 2020, 08:16:38 am »
Bugger that reminds me I need to do some work on my car  :scared:. Rear tyres / AC recharge and clean it. None of which I want to be bothered with at the moment.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57391 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:27 am »
I know it is a PITA, but when it comes to have a safe car, I do not make any compromises. Not worth it.

Edit:
Any chance, that your eldest want to become a car mechanic?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:34:09 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57392 on: April 30, 2020, 09:42:40 am »
sigh. my car dealer called and wants me to take the car out of winter storage ...
I don't have any space to park it right now.

*sigh*.
maybe I should just sell it ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57393 on: April 30, 2020, 10:06:02 am »
Yeah, mine needs a wash and the inside valeting but its raining so not today Josephine  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57394 on: April 30, 2020, 11:11:30 am »
@bd139 Thought you might find this of interest, made by one of our members, the member that we were discussing other day with his videos about TEAS.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57395 on: April 30, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
No TE but new toy. Local linux file / terminal server from a repurposed Lenovo M600 desktop. Currently waiting for a 1TiB M2 SSD to go in it (goes under the heatsink).

No moving parts at all!

Dual core ass end celeron + 4gb RAM.

Would make a reasonable lab machine for Linux / ass end windows stuff. Has built in wifi, 6 USB ports, ethernet, wifi, front/read audio and M2 SSD slot, 1 RAM slot. Runs off a standard Lenovo power brick.

Better than a shitty raspberry poo.

Edit: link if anyone wants one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114047401423 .... 5 left. come with new power supply, mains cable and antenna. I can't actually see any sign of use. It's new AFAIK.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:23:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57396 on: April 30, 2020, 11:18:35 am »
@bd139 Thought you might find this of interest, made by one of our members, the member that we were discussing other day with his videos about TEAS.

I actually built one of them and sold it  :-DD

edit: actually that was the 50W unit I built.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57397 on: April 30, 2020, 12:13:47 pm »
off topic stuff deleted ...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:10:53 pm by Saskia »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #57398 on: April 30, 2020, 01:51:36 pm »
So what has my surrogate Enabler offered you?  >:D

I'll put up photos....

... when the package arrives.

>:D

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #57399 on: April 30, 2020, 02:19:22 pm »

... am I mistaken or aren't these amps notorious for undersized ferrites that get so hot that they crack apart at full power ?
I am always sceptic if the specific volume power density of an electronic gadget gets above a certain limit ...  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf