Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17476627 times)

Runco990, Gertjan, Robert763, Hydron, mnementh and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56650 on: April 23, 2020, 05:07:10 pm »
Saskia, what have you done to me? I can't stop looking at rather expensive power supplies! :-\

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56651 on: April 23, 2020, 05:21:39 pm »
Welp, I got me a nice TEA bonanza from the UPS guy today. I talked to him for a bit and he said they are as busy as Christmas season with everyone mail ordering everything.  :o

Anyway, pics to come as I have time, but here's the damage (all HP):

4262A LCR Meter, in good shape WITH 16062A Kelvin leads AND 16061A test fixture
778D dual directional coupler (now I have two; these are super nice couplers to have around)
8477A power meter calibrator for my 432A power meter
11683A power meter range calibrator...PRISTINE and a hard to find piece
A grab bag of HP extender cards (VERY nice to have around)
A ton of HP T&M catalogs, spanning 2 decades plus with only a few missing years

and last, but certainly not least, a 5087A distribution amp with a full complement of output amp cards. At last, I can tie up to 12 instruments to my GPSDO.  :-+
Quite a haul!

BTW, did you get any results from that Analogic signal analyzer?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56652 on: April 23, 2020, 05:26:56 pm »
When you run a live in anything other than earthed metal containment, you MUST use a cable with an integral CPC

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CPC refer to in this context?

Circuit Protective Conductor (i.e. Earth, but an earth that is only used for protection in the case of a fault)

Ahh, ok.  Here in the U.S. at least, in electrical mains work I've commonly heard/seen that referred to as PE (Protective Earth).  We need a decoder ring for all of our different terms, abbreviations and acronyms!

-Pat

My bad, I should have expanded the acronym. 

DHL just delivered my Rapid order from yesterday, now just waiting for a couple of packages from RS that should have been here yesterday, thanks PorcleFarce   >:(

Included in my Rapid order are 400 0R68 5W wirewound resistors, from the clearance bin, £12.40 + vodka and tonic, bargain!
They're gonna make a nice load bank, forced air cooled ofc.   8)

No worries - I think we all do it occasionally.  Terms we've known and used for years are ingrained, and we are inclined to use them without remembering that they in fact ARE specialized bits of knowledge that others might not be familiar with, or that their meanings may be context dependent.  For instance, ARM in the financial world here in the U.S. stands for "Adjustable Rate Mortgage"; a type of home loan where the interest rate is pegged to the prime interest rate and can vary with it over time.  ARM in the electronics world is Advanced RISC Machine, denoting a processor architecture.  I've heard it for years applied to mortgages, so that's the first place my brain goes when I hear the term in an electronics setting, and it always makes me pause for a moment until I remember Advanced RISC Machine rather than the adjustable rate mortgage meaning that initially pops to mind when hearing that particular sequence of letters.

-Pat
ARM ist the switch that you have to throw before FIRE!  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #56653 on: April 23, 2020, 05:30:51 pm »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56654 on: April 23, 2020, 05:35:59 pm »
I only know that ARM thingie when it is related to 2 keys that you have to turn simultaneously after uploading the target coordinates.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56655 on: April 23, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
Saskia, what have you done to me? I can't stop looking at rather expensive power supplies! :-\

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/19-netzteil-hp-6644a-60v-3-5a-bastler/1374198713-168-1501

:box:
@Neomys Sapiens
my sincere apologies.
@zucca
thanks, mail sent.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56656 on: April 23, 2020, 05:37:20 pm »
Now it makes sense, thanks!

EDIT: Anyway in a three switch light system the live and the neutral are very far away, but it just a light so not too much current flowing in it... anyway with LED stuff it could generate uneven load/spikes during the 50Hz period time and that's why sometime we get some interferences when the LED lights are on. I suppose. Interesting.

Depends. If done properly, the physical layer would not look like your schematic, but would involve small loops only. But from experience, one can find almost anything in real ...

BTW
A (to at least  some people) well know example of interference by loops (even DC here) are the Strassenbahn (Tram) in major cities. Historically, they run on 600V DC on their overhead lines, and from the transformer / rectifier substation only live side runs through distribution wires to the overhead lines. The return path is somewhere else. For the good ol' CRT colour TVs this sometimes caused discolouring effects, e.g. when such a feeder cable run along the pavement in front of your house, even though there's no tram in your street.
Yes - and I have seen a horror appartment where the combination of such loops with leaky old cables (steel/copper alloy in tin foil/paper) led to a situation where you could firmly press two probes into the wall and get a reading of several volts even on a 20kOhm/V meter! All contactless detectors lit up like a chistmas tree when approaching that wall.

And no, over here singles in conduit, whether grounded or isolating, is not permitted since at least the 80's.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56657 on: April 23, 2020, 05:39:26 pm »
pity, already gone.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56658 on: April 23, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/19-netzteil-hp-6644a-60v-3-5a-bastler/1374198713-168-1501

Pffft - too basic. I'm looking at the NGRU and NGSM and Kepco BOPs.
also this one is intrigueing;

https://www.rosenkranz-elektronik.com/de/messgeraete/14311/heinzinger-tels60-600

@Saskia: I dont believe that and that is alright. ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:04:11 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56659 on: April 23, 2020, 06:12:00 pm »

Pffft - too basic. I'm looking at the NGRU and NGSM and Kepco BOPs.
also this one is intrigueing;

https://www.rosenkranz-elektronik.com/de/messgeraete/14311/heinzinger-tels60-600

@Saskia: I dont believe that and that is alright. ;)

Perhaps you want to consider this one:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143585012130

And it comes with the keyboard:

;D  Glad to be at service.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56660 on: April 23, 2020, 06:18:18 pm »
bloody hell. Bid placed.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56661 on: April 23, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »
Since I'm, in many vectors, a n00b, I'm having less of a hard time entertaining myself. Just built bits of my Mutter-Uhr project on the breadboard; the optocoupler isolated input. Started by looking at the 1PPS from the Meinberg, and then set up an emulation of it on the function generator. Driving a MCT6 through a 330R for good measure and getting reliable trigs on the output side. I just threw a relay on the output side, for fun. Click, click, click, click. Mesmerizing. Found that with 1Hz square, and a duty cycle of 5% I could get the relay to pull reliably. The pulse from the 1PPS looks more like between 7 and 13% duty cycle, so should be good.

I'm planning to take the pulse in on an interrupt line on an Arduino Nano. (Because I've got one, that's why!) I', planning to do the entire meat of the program in the interrupt service routine, except some housekeeping, like fast-forward etc. Since the rising flange on the 1PPS is the start of the second, it'll be possible to get reasonably precise minute flips, with some delay, of course, on the Nebenuhren; I'd suspect 50 ms delay (883ppm on the minute; these displays only have two hands)  is entirely tolerable.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56662 on: April 23, 2020, 08:10:58 pm »
Since I'm, in many vectors, a n00b, I'm having less of a hard time entertaining myself. Just built bits of my Mutter-Uhr project on the breadboard; the optocoupler isolated input. Started by looking at the 1PPS from the Meinberg, and then set up an emulation of it on the function generator. Driving a MCT6 through a 330R for good measure and getting reliable trigs on the output side. I just threw a relay on the output side, for fun. Click, click, click, click. Mesmerizing. Found that with 1Hz square, and a duty cycle of 5% I could get the relay to pull reliably. The pulse from the 1PPS looks more like between 7 and 13% duty cycle, so should be good.

I'm planning to take the pulse in on an interrupt line on an Arduino Nano. (Because I've got one, that's why!) I', planning to do the entire meat of the program in the interrupt service routine, except some housekeeping, like fast-forward etc. Since the rising flange on the 1PPS is the start of the second, it'll be possible to get reasonably precise minute flips, with some delay, of course, on the Nebenuhren; I'd suspect 50 ms delay (883ppm on the minute; these displays only have two hands)  is entirely tolerable.
So anyone looking with one eye at your Haupt-Uhr and with another eye at one of your Neben-Uhren will become temporally disoriented by 50ms? Shocking! That would be 140° at the Schumann frequency. Someone will not have wanted this to have happened to him!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56663 on: April 23, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
Speaking of "building things for a Mutter-Uhr project":
I've received last month the Efratom LPRO-101 10MHz Rubidium frequency standard.
This module has a pin (#5, Lamp volt) which can be used as an indicator
for the Rb-lamp. If the voltage is between 3V ... 14V, then the lamp is good.
Below 3V, the lamp should be replaced with another one. Above 14V, the module
has  a problem. So I thought, why not using a LM3914 in dot-mode and one of
these dual-LED bargraph displays from Kingbright (DC10EGWA).
Using a TL431AILP at 15V in combination with the LM3914 will give me
a nice indicator for this output. The advantage of the DC10EGWA is, that I
can set the colours (red, green, yellow) as I like, which gives me a
nice flexibility.

Here are my notes (I have a little notebook which I called "Wochenendprojekte" where all my ideas, notes and drawings are going into)

The DC10EGWA and the LM3914:

The TL431 with the calculations for 15V:

Datasheet of the DC10EGWA:

I hope, you'll find this not too boring. On the other side, it'll keep me away from buying silly things on ebay.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56664 on: April 23, 2020, 09:38:21 pm »
   bloody hell. Bid placed.

*says a prayer for Saskia's poor heathen soul*

mnem
At least it's not another 1054Zed...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56665 on: April 23, 2020, 09:56:05 pm »
Odin, far og klokeste av alle guder, gi meg veiledning, visdom og seier i mine anstrengelser

now I hope that I got that right, my norse is somewhat rusty.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:11:42 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56666 on: April 23, 2020, 09:57:30 pm »
@mnementh I got rid of the 1054Z, I still have my 2 Keysights ...
and no space ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56667 on: April 23, 2020, 10:23:47 pm »
Life is good since I swapped mine for Siglent  :-DD

Not that I've had two minutes to do anything with it!  :--

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56668 on: April 24, 2020, 12:11:11 am »
@med6753: With the first version of that bloody manual out for review, I did return to that matter.
Here is what I found so far:
My last post was insofar not precise as the mention of 'single shot' was instead meant to refer to single aquisition, that is all modes which do not use the 'repetitive' function.

I'm sorry that I can not include the missing parts, that is the table from page 3 of the catalogue excerpt and the block diagram from the maintenance manual, but those are PDFs which I obtained either from K07BB or from the TekWiki and they are protected, so that I can't print or snapshot from them. One day hopefully someone will explain to me how this can be resolved.

Six places in the user manual refer to the phenomenon/function discussed:

976284-0
976264-1
976268-2
976272-3
976276-4
976280-5

My take on that is that there is a bandwidth 'bottleneck' in the scope and that the spec. of 150MHz is only fulfilled by a mode which works akin to the sampling verticals in the 7xxx series. That bottleneck seems to be the analogue CCD bucket brigade delay line.

But that mode would only work correctly if the part between input jack and sample gate (the equivalent of the sampler head in the abovementioned combination) does indeed have a BW approaching that, or the signal would be distorted.  So the statement 'Full Bandwidth = 150 MHz analogue BW' applies not exactly to the 'analogue' part, but only to the 'unsampled' part, that is the vertical frontend. Because the signal going through the CCD is still analogue in amplitude but discontinuous in time. Specifically, it seems to be the part where the signal is entered into the CCD or the transport through it and not the readout from it.

But that did not yet make sense to me.
First, I would have not have expected that a BW limit in this part does manifest itself, as you did show, like a BW/risetime limit in a vertical amp. I would have expected that it distorts the signal more.

Second, you state:
It's not running in single shot mode. It's free running. Which makes it even more puzzling. As soon as you go beyond say 1MHz you need to turn repetition ON or else you start to get the roll off as originally shown. 
This did seem to low for me first. When you see that they equipped that scope optionally with a video function and also that they show video signals in the manual. As the video trigger function would select a specific line, the aquisition and display of its content with the necessary fidelity would mean that a single aquisition must be sufficient for a signal with around 5MHz. 

But on a second thought it occured to me that we are talking sine signal when BW is specified. You stated that that signal is around 10MHz. And the signal which you did record looks to me like a signal for which the odd higher harmonics are limited to the 3rd  5th and 7th, with the latter already stunted. And yes, the signal with repetitive mode on looks like the components up to the 15th could be present - filling the corners and making the top reasonably flat.. That would have been 30MHz, 50MHz and a bit of 70MHz, so for a stated BW of 40 MHz it would be rather respectable and be in line with the conservative specifications that Tektronix is known for.

Somewhere in the doc. I did see data where they elaborated what you can expect in the time domain. I have to look at that again and think it through. Maybe we have become spoiled with all those Gs/s at our disposal nowadays. It correlates with the answers I got when I suspected my Analogic 2045 of being unwell. Someone pointed out that 800Ms/s WILL mean that only very simple 100MHz waveforms can be generated, and they will already show!
Also, I would like to fire my 2430a up and compare the result.

Further, you made me want to have get 2440 instead as backup/portable scope.
Thank you very much. :box:

And next, I have to do a risk analysis. Yechh.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:13:51 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56669 on: April 24, 2020, 02:55:34 am »
Odin, far og klokeste av alle guder, gi meg veiledning, visdom og seier i mine anstrengelser.  Now I hope that I got that right, my norse is somewhat rusty.

Ifni, grant me the peace to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies where nobody will find them.  >:D

@mnementh I got rid of the 1054Z, I still have my 2 Keysights ... and no space ...

I know. Good riddance, good deal.

Spend the money on a Roomba; you'll get better service out of it, and when you get bored you can hack it.
  :-DD

mnem
"Right now I'm in the middle of a dozen things, all of them annoying. Where would YOU like to be on my list...?!?" ~XO Susan Ivanova
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #56670 on: April 24, 2020, 03:16:55 am »
The 16V 8A SPD1168X not big enough ?
That would make a nice lab power supply, but not quite enough.  Fixed 13.8 voltage would be a good idea so I do not accidentally introduce additional variables to what I already plan on doing.  Also, 300W peak will provide a bit more headroom for Tx and in case of adding another radio (I am aware of what thread I am posting in, there is always a chance of adding more gear).

I did get distracted by this power supply pron:
Perhaps you want to consider this one:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143585012130

That is one gorgeous piece of equipment, but much much too far away so Saskia is safe from me. :phew:

An Astron RS-35A would be more appropriate, but on this thread, I better make it an RS-35M or RS-50M  >:D

And these are very low coil current relays (NEC MR62-24SB).  Been doing some light googling of that ratio transformer I scored, seems it's a very nice piece of kit indeed, with 8 decade versions able to embarrass a 3458A   :o   Even my 7 decade unit seems to be valued by some:
https://www.torontosurplus.com/gertsch-singer-model-1011-ac-ratio-standard-in-stock-z1.html

Yup. They're 20 min from my home.  :-+ If y'all find something you desperately want I can MITM it for you; at least save you the first leg of shipping by picking up in person. Their prices are "low resale"; they're in the biz, so they do know what they've got. But for selling to commercial customers, their prices are quite reasonable, at least in my own comparisons against TEQ. Obviously not "Ferengi Low" like the occasional steal of a deal from fleaBay; but if you NEED a piece of equipment with warranty, they should be a good option.
Good to know that.  I have looked at their website before and found the prices a bit frightening.
The HP 3478A they have looks very interesting but CA$461.50 is way out of my league at the moment. :-//
Pickup would have been 38 minutes from home 20 years ago; now it would be about 5 hours from home.
I am more in agreement with AVG on this:
I'll stick to being lucky.
It might be rare, but it's more affordable!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56671 on: April 24, 2020, 03:29:11 am »
Odin, far og klokeste av alle guder, gi meg veiledning, visdom og seier i mine anstrengelser

now I hope that I got that right, my norse is somewhat rusty.

My danish is much better than my norse (I grew up within comfortable terrestrial TV reception distance of Danmarks Radio transmitters), but it looks OK to me, and is indeed comprehensible Bokmål.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56672 on: April 24, 2020, 03:30:06 am »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:34:48 am by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56673 on: April 24, 2020, 04:06:20 am »
Speaking of "building things for a Mutter-Uhr project":

<snip>

Here are my notes (I have a little notebook which I called "Wochenendprojekte" where all my ideas, notes and drawings are going into)

<snip>

I hope, you'll find this not too boring. On the other side, it'll keep me away from buying silly things on ebay.  :-DD

Oh, these carefully planned forays into time-nuttery (Wir stehen am Rand des Kaninenlochs) are fascinating and, to me, another proof that "broadcast engineers are closet time-nuts, all of them". I (who works in broadcast but supposedly with networks nowadays, which is why I'm planning to buy a PTPv2 tester for work...) certainly feel strangely at home close to 10MHz oscillators and such.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56674 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:39 am »
The 16V 8A SPD1168X not big enough ?
That would make a nice lab power supply, but not quite enough. Fixed 13.8 voltage would be a good idea so I do not accidentally introduce additional variables to what I already plan on doing.  Also, 300W peak will provide a bit more headroom for Tx and in case of adding another radio (I am aware of what thread I am posting in, there is always a chance of adding more gear).
OK however FYI they do have a Lock settings button.  ;)

I did get distracted by this power supply pron:
Yep it turned a few heads for sure !

Sales from outta nowhere here today !  :o

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf