Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17475702 times)

BILLPOD and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56600 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:02 am »
D'OH!

mnem
*toddles off to watch some TV widda boi*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56601 on: April 23, 2020, 12:45:03 am »
That is correct, but the model 8 has the needle stuck near full scale which is not a very healthy sign at all. I was looking at them myself, but I already have 2 so meh, not bothered.

Don't all AVOs have a transit lock on the movement...?

mnem
 :-DMM
Nope, not a lock as such but a position the knobs need be in to engage movement dampening.
RTFM.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56602 on: April 23, 2020, 12:57:16 am »
Interesting device on Ebay.de:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NTP-507-100-Universal-Gate-Burst-Generator/392761146677?hash=item5b72637d35:g:LOMAAOSwq4NelJ4K

I asked the owner and he stated that the frequency going through must be Audio or Video.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56603 on: April 23, 2020, 01:01:14 am »
That is correct, but the model 8 has the needle stuck near full scale which is not a very healthy sign at all. I was looking at them myself, but I already have 2 so meh, not bothered.

mnem
No, some of the very latest ones did have a transit switch position but on these, up to and including model 9, you need to put the right switch in the DC position and the left switch to 50uA and then wrap a shorting wire around the positive and negative binding posts which then heavily damps the meter movement to prevent damage during transit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:05:59 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56604 on: April 23, 2020, 02:02:24 am »
   Let me make you a Dragon style Bed then  ;)

Don't you kindof need your laser cutter to make that bed for your laser cutter...? :-DD

Just perfect for a dwagon, get his scales locked into those peaks, then he isn't going to be able to toss and turn all night freting over his flop on the 3DP  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Especially nice when I need to molt in the spring... just around the corner. >:D

Outsourcing will be done  ;) Even at 100W the new one won't be up to metal. So I have sent the DXF's off to a local CNC Plasma Cutter (not sure how well the 1.2mm slots will go for accuracy and a slightly less local (an hour away) Metal capable Laser cutter. We do have a local Water Jet owner but the last job I had done by him showed a lack of upkeep on the machine and nozzles unlike earlier jobs  :--
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #56605 on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:27 am »

If it's doing it with multiple plug-ins, then it would seem to be something in the scope mainframe itself.  Could it be as simple as a bad connection at the interface of the plug in?  How does the mating connector in the vertical bay of the scope look?

-Pat

you'd think right?

I'm measuring these at the CRT pins, and there is no amplification in the frame at all.

I have gone over the mating connectors pretty well,

I'm wondering if maybe there could be some other issue with the mainframe, like it not correctly feeding all the voltages to the vertical plug in or something along those lines.  Or if the higher voltage you're measuring is the correct one and something in the scope itself is loading down the one that's lower - in other words, while there is no amplification in the mainframe, could some fault therein be causing attenuation?  The net result would be similar.  If multiple plug ins that were known to be working aren't, then the common thing is the scope itself.  Do ANY vertical plug ins work correctly in it?

-Pat

I agree. If multiple plug-ins do this and you are confident they are good then something is amiss at the main connector or in the mainframe itself.

But with one deflection plate at 150V and the other at 250V plus you'll never get the beam on screen let alone centered.

I've been distracted by non-TE  related life for the last three or five days. Just catching up. I had the frame powered up and tested the plug-ins to verify them as working but didn't burn them in because I decided not to work on it.  Could it be a mechanical fault? I think Pat mentioned the frame connection...
specialization is for insects.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56606 on: April 23, 2020, 03:50:16 am »
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something stupid
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56607 on: April 23, 2020, 03:52:20 am »
@mansaxel: we also did not mention EG&G Wakefield, Farnell, FUG, Heiden, Innotec, JFA electronique, Kikusui, Knott, Labvolt, Philips, Schroff, Toellner, Trygon and Xantrex.

I say like my children; "Gotta catch them all!" (But they're playing Pokemon Go)

And have you heard of Johanna Jäger Elektronik?

Not until now, no. When they without hesitation start describing their devices as either Volleinschub or suitable for Baugruppenträger you know you're deep into German electronics. (yes, my German is while horrible good enough that I know those terms and have used them in at least casual talk once or twice...)

Thanks!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56608 on: April 23, 2020, 03:55:43 am »

Lots of crustiness there, indeed. I already have an ex-MoD Avo 8 which is of course tropicalized for the colonies and also fitted in a sheet metal tub. I briefly looked them over, but thought like you re. the pegged meter.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56609 on: April 23, 2020, 03:58:14 am »

What they've got is a setting that makes the movement more stable, but not locked in any way. Set both selectors to 12'o clock. (for an 8)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56610 on: April 23, 2020, 04:11:59 am »
Interesting device on Ebay.de:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NTP-507-100-Universal-Gate-Burst-Generator/392761146677?hash=item5b72637d35:g:LOMAAOSwq4NelJ4K

I asked the owner and he stated that the frequency going through must be Audio or Video.

Now, that's a shop chock full of the audio department of a small TV station. I really lust after a few of those devices, but the seller apparently knows what he's selling, and the prices correspond.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56611 on: April 23, 2020, 04:17:31 am »

mnem
Nope, not a lock as such but a position the knobs need be in to engage movement dampening. RTFM.  :)

My question being if there's a chance the movement is not damaged but rather the lock/dampener/meter movement testicle cradler or whatever it's called might be engaged rather than actual damaged movement. My experience with the better meters is that they tend to be pretty robust, unless Grape Ape has been in there monkeying around.

No, some of the very latest ones did have a transit switch position but on these, up to and including model 9, you need to put the right switch in the DC position and the left switch to 50uA and then wrap a shorting wire around the positive and negative binding posts which then heavily damps the meter movement to prevent damage during transit.

Ahhh... thank you. That does then make it pretty likely that the movement is effed-up. I suppose I COULD have hunted up a manual and answered my own question, but I've been a bit busy ignorantly overloading my 3DP.  :-DD I guess then it depends on just how much they go for whether they're worth it. Well, that and whether you actually want to be responsible for one of these toe-smashing little bastards.  :-DD

Let me make you a Dragon style Bed then  ;)
Don't you kindof need your laser cutter to make that bed for your laser cutter...? :-DD
Just perfect for a dwagon, get his scales locked into those peaks, then he isn't going to be able to toss and turn all night fretting over his flop on the 3DP  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Especially nice when I need to molt in the spring... just around the corner. >:D

Outsourcing will be done  ;) Even at 100W the new one won't be up to metal. So I have sent the DXF's off to a local CNC Plasma Cutter (not sure how well the 1.2mm slots will go for accuracy and a slightly less local (an hour away) Metal capable Laser cutter. We do have a local Water Jet owner but the last job I had done by him showed a lack of upkeep on the machine and nozzles unlike earlier jobs  :--
I didn't really figure you'd be able to cut that...  :-DD Actually, kindof surprised you haven't gotten into water-jet cutting yourself already. :-//

The flop on my 3DP has flip-flopped a few times since then... right now it's on a "going back together" cycle.
;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #56612 on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:27 am »

What they've got is a setting that makes the movement more stable, but not locked in any way. Set both selectors to 12'o clock. (for an 8)

Generally, how does AVO stand against Simpson 260 series ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:45:58 am by BravoV »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #56613 on: April 23, 2020, 06:43:19 am »
Welp, I got me a nice TEA bonanza from the UPS guy today. I talked to him for a bit and he said they are as busy as Christmas season with everyone mail ordering everything.  :o

Anyway, pics to come as I have time, but here's the damage (all HP):

4262A LCR Meter, in good shape WITH 16062A Kelvin leads AND 16061A test fixture
778D dual directional coupler (now I have two; these are super nice couplers to have around)
8477A power meter calibrator for my 432A power meter
11683A power meter range calibrator...PRISTINE and a hard to find piece
A grab bag of HP extender cards (VERY nice to have around)
A ton of HP T&M catalogs, spanning 2 decades plus with only a few missing years

and last, but certainly not least, a 5087A distribution amp with a full complement of output amp cards. At last, I can tie up to 12 instruments to my GPSDO.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying, Kosmic

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56614 on: April 23, 2020, 06:44:25 am »
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something stupid

I have the service manual for the 561S which should be same as the 561A/B.

Here is what you should have on the vertical connector in the mainframe:

Across Pins 1 & 2                      6.3VAC
Pins 3 & 4                                Coax to horizontal connector (Pin 3 GND)
Pin 5                                       Grounded side from -12.2VDC supply
Pin 6                                       Unspecified voltage from R667 in PSU
Across Pins 7 & 8                      115VAC
Pin 9                                       GND
Pin 10                                     +300VDC
Pins 11 & 12                            Coax to horizontal connector (Pin 12 GND)
Pins 13 & 14                            No connection
Pin 15                                     +125VDC
Pin 16                                     -12.2VDC
Pin 17                                      Lower Deflection Plate
Pins 18 & 19                            Coax to horizontal connector (Pin 19 GND)
Pin 20                                     Unspecified voltage from R666 in PSU
Pin 21                                     Upper Deflection Plate
Pin 22                                     Unspecified voltage from R628 in PSU
Pin 23                                     -100VDC
Pin 24                                     To switch SW 854 in CRT Circuit   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56615 on: April 23, 2020, 07:03:15 am »
Welp, I got me a nice TEA bonanza from the UPS guy today. I talked to him for a bit and he said they are as busy as Christmas season with everyone mail ordering everything.  :o

Anyway, pics to come as I have time, but here's the damage (all HP):

4262A LCR Meter, in good shape WITH 16062A Kelvin leads AND 16061A test fixture
778D dual directional coupler (now I have two; these are super nice couplers to have around)
8477A power meter calibrator for my 432A power meter
11683A power meter range calibrator...PRISTINE and a hard to find piece
A grab bag of HP extender cards (VERY nice to have around)
A ton of HP T&M catalogs, spanning 2 decades plus with only a few missing years

and last, but certainly not least, a 5087A distribution amp with a full complement of output amp cards. At last, I can tie up to 12 instruments to my GPSDO.  :-+

;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56616 on: April 23, 2020, 07:11:56 am »
Mildly Moist outside and I was Dog sitting while Mum ventured out for the first time is several weeks without a driver :scared: Needed to go get a Flu jab and do a drug run to the Chemist armed with Gloves and Sanitizer beside her. Arrived home without indecent two hours later :phew: then proceeded to crash her Laptop for me to fix  |O

In between the support activities more or less finished the Laser layout apart from some tweakage. Everything clears everything at least according to Fusion  :-+ Just need to wait for the Peso to claim a bit further out of it's hole now.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #56617 on: April 23, 2020, 07:19:36 am »
You may NOT
use 'light Appliance power cord' type cable and affix it by any means to the wall or structure
use single wires in conduits anymore

All the cables are cemented in the walls. My plan was to use a single 2,5mm² cable, grab the live from the next plug and hide it between parquet and walls, there is about 10mm space there. Of course I will protect it inside a 15cm plastic cable holder/rail from the plug down to the parquet

If I just need the live, why I need a three wires cable (PE, N, L)?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56618 on: April 23, 2020, 08:53:52 am »
Lately on different notes: floating things

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56619 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:59 am »
Mildly Moist outside and I was Dog sitting while Mum ventured out for the first time is several weeks without a driver :scared: Needed to go get a Flu jab and do a drug run to the Chemist armed with Gloves and Sanitizer beside her. Arrived home without indecent two hours later :phew:

Indecent what? Exposure? Proposals to random passers by? Assault upon the postman?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56620 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:58 am »
I blame the triple G & T for my Grammar  ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56621 on: April 23, 2020, 10:08:09 am »
So while searching for TEA this turned up none of that RPN  :bullshit: just  :bullshit: pricing eBay auction: #124135024206

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56622 on: April 23, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
Nope!  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56623 on: April 23, 2020, 10:25:12 am »
@mnem, if you had down loaded a AVO manual for those meters, it wouldn't give you any instruction for transit settings. I experimented with my Avo 9 and had a theory that the lowest current setting if shorted out, the eddy currents induced by the needle swinging about due to any vibration or transferred shock, would create a damping force. I decided to put my theory to the test and set the meter up in that position, shorted the inputs and gave the meter a shake, removed the short, shook again and the meter was damped to a lesser degree. Selecting any other configuration of the switches, including having both at the 12-o-clock position resulted in the needle being free to swing about rather wildley and prone to damage.

It works for any analogue meter  that I've come across, set the meter in DC current to 50uA or the lowest DC current range on offer and short the input jacks  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #56624 on: April 23, 2020, 10:32:16 am »
You may NOT
use 'light Appliance power cord' type cable and affix it by any means to the wall or structure
use single wires in conduits anymore

All the cables are cemented in the walls. My plan was to use a single 2,5mm² cable, grab the live from the next plug and hide it between parquet and walls, there is about 10mm space there. Of course I will protect it inside a 15cm plastic cable holder/rail from the plug down to the parquet

If I just need the live, why I need a three wires cable (PE, N, L)?

You can use singles, provided they are run inside earthed metal conduit or trunking. It's normally not used domestically though.

When you run a live in anything other than earthed metal containment, you MUST use a cable with an integral CPC (this applies to fixed wiring, not flexes). In practice this is normally 1.5mm2 for single brown and earth, can't say as I've seen bigger.

If you're running it in anything other than earthed metal containment, it must also be double insulated.

Usually it's a good idea to have the neutral along for the ride, to avoid swapping neutrals between circuits by accident, as this will affect the performance of the safety devices in your distribution board/consumer unit..
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf