Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17475768 times)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56575 on: April 22, 2020, 08:51:58 pm »
I only took 3 courses during my time at IBM:
AIX Internals (4.3)
AIX Kernel Problem Solving Boot Camp (4.3)
AIX Kernel Problem Solving Boot Camp (5.1)

<snip>

But certifications ? Nah.

Exactly. The education probably is fine for the most part (and IBM usually are quite good. Reminds me I've gotten myself through a TSM  training course, and a Digital Unix sysadmin course too, both of which happened to me at a sensible point in life when I could absorb and utilize the information)  but the certification part is a money-making scheme.

This post has been fueled by a Spotify binge-listen to Public Enemy. I'm back to 2006 now. (Spotify lists albums newest first, and isn't very smart in doing so, so the gain-maxed reissues come out of chronology. )

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56576 on: April 22, 2020, 08:54:40 pm »

And we did not even  mention GMC, Kepco, EPS, California Instruments, ICS-Schneider, Coutant, TDK-Lambda, Sorensen, and, and...
Come, have another look.....

And you failed to mention PD! Nice Oltronix pic, though. I know where one of those happens to stand dormant. Probably needs something done to it of the saving/resurrection kind...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #56577 on: April 22, 2020, 08:59:33 pm »
So yeah Med

150 on the upper plate as expected

265 ish on the lower plate, the position knob is able to vary this by about 2V

the odd thing is that multiple plugins do this, and Worsthorse had several of them working

If it's doing it with multiple plug-ins, then it would seem to be something in the scope mainframe itself.  Could it be as simple as a bad connection at the interface of the plug in?  How does the mating connector in the vertical bay of the scope look?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56578 on: April 22, 2020, 09:03:24 pm »

And we did not even  mention GMC, Kepco, EPS, California Instruments, ICS-Schneider, Coutant, TDK-Lambda, Sorensen, and, and...
Come, have another look.....

And you failed to mention PD! Nice Oltronix pic, though. I know where one of those happens to stand dormant. Probably needs something done to it of the saving/resurrection kind...
I surely hope that you are not talking about mine nor frozenfrogs' specimen. Maybe frozenfrogs' would be not quite as bad. He had two of them when we were in contact..

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56579 on: April 22, 2020, 09:05:00 pm »
@Neomys Sapiens: I know, I will try to behave, but I am saving for a bigger lab. My place is full, so full that I have annexed the public space under the roof (>50 sqare meters) as overflow area where I stack my stuff. Not mentioning the space taken up at my friend's industrial complex (at least 10 cubic meters). I can get by right now with my Korad and I am eyeing a second EAPS even though some of those that you described look nice.

However for driving the solenoids they do not have to be ultra precise. it's an "it works" or "it's broken" decision tree which does not require elegance.

I am sure I will revisit that topic, however one of the next tasks will be to hook up that cutting plotter and have a look at the airbrush and cabinet restoration part (as soon as the CoVid restrictions are lifted)

Since that friend of mine will be retiring in the near future I may need to find a space for 5 or 6 pinball machines.
Plus a shitload of spares and stuff.

One other friend has just retired, he will trade me an Aurex preamp (very rare over here, this particular model has the serial number 3) for an RC sender/receiver combo as his just burned down with parts of his house due to an exploding LiPo.

I hope that the Reichelt shop will reopen next week. I have withdrawal symptoms. Too many things I am working on in parallel...

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56580 on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:06 pm »
I surely hope that you are not talking about mine nor frozenfrogs' specimen. Maybe frozenfrogs' would be not quite as bad. He had two of them when we were in contact..

No, I'm more generically interested in Oltronix. And Power Designs, but they're nearly always 110V only and crazy shipping prices make them very expensive. Anyway, I've got my eyes on one 3-voltage Oltronix, complete with 65V-range.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56581 on: April 22, 2020, 09:13:25 pm »
@AVGresponding: sorry, couldn't help. First I was even tempted to quote a certain writer named Curzio Malaparte with his incredibly funny and cynical tirade concerning the dead in 'Kaputt'  but I feared that nobody would get the reference.
As far as your work is concerned, is is a project like any other. It is only the intended use that struck me here.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56582 on: April 22, 2020, 09:25:28 pm »

No, I'm more generically interested in Oltronix. And Power Designs, but they're nearly always 110V only and crazy shipping prices make them very expensive. Anyway, I've got my eyes on one 3-voltage Oltronix, complete with 65V-range.
I'm looking for the B503D, B60-1 and maybe the B802 before I would consider another one.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56583 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:44 pm »
Mouldy old ham shed shit alert. Probably a covid victim  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ttnrg

Couple of really really rotten 8640B's in there and a load of other gear.

BTW skipped the 34401A here yesterday. Went for £323 in the end?!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:32:16 pm by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56584 on: April 22, 2020, 09:57:33 pm »
Hubby did not get past one of those HR critters even though he has an engineer degree in chemistry. Reason: he did not have a certain specific certification that is worth about zilch.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56585 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:27 pm »

Already had a couple of item on my watch list, but every item TBH is in poor condition, looks like its been stored in a shed for years and badly corroded, god knows what they are like internally.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56586 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:47 pm »
Hubby did not get past one of those HR critters even though he has an engineer degree in chemistry. Reason: he did not have a certain specific certification that is worth about zilch.

Don't get me started on those HR scumbags, many of them are as bent as a 9 bob note, bastards they are. Anyway, what I'd like to know is how do they think that they are qualified to interview someone for a engineering role?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56587 on: April 22, 2020, 10:21:17 pm »

If it's doing it with multiple plug-ins, then it would seem to be something in the scope mainframe itself.  Could it be as simple as a bad connection at the interface of the plug in?  How does the mating connector in the vertical bay of the scope look?

-Pat

you'd think right?

I'm measuring these at the CRT pins, and there is no amplification in the frame at all.

I have gone over the mating connectors pretty well,
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:24:17 pm by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #56588 on: April 22, 2020, 10:47:20 pm »

Yeek!!!  Did that Israeli guy that sells the gear that looks like it's been used as chocks by a tank company move to the UK?

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #56589 on: April 22, 2020, 10:52:58 pm »

-Pat

you'd think right?

I'm measuring these at the CRT pins, and there is no amplification in the frame at all.

I'm wondering if maybe there could be some other issue with the mainframe, like it not correctly feeding all the voltages to the vertical plug in or something along those lines.  Or if the higher voltage you're measuring is the correct one and something in the scope itself is loading down the one that's lower - in other words, while there is no amplification in the mainframe, could some fault therein be causing attenuation?  The net result would be similar.  If multiple plug ins that were known to be working aren't, then the common thing is the scope itself.  Do ANY vertical plug ins work correctly in it?

-Pat

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56590 on: April 22, 2020, 10:55:46 pm »

Yeek!!!  Did that Israeli guy that sells the gear that looks like it's been used as chocks by a tank company move to the UK?

-Pat
No, he says that it is his late Fathers gear, hence bd's reference to a possible Covid-19 victim. That may be but it sure as hell looks to me as if it hasn't been used in years anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56591 on: April 22, 2020, 11:11:37 pm »
All of the above is probably true... but he's got 2 AVOs in there going for pin money ATM...

mnem
*currently very confused by my 3DP*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56592 on: April 22, 2020, 11:20:46 pm »

-Pat

you'd think right?

I'm wondering if maybe there could be some other issue with the mainframe, like it not correctly feeding all the voltages to the vertical plug in or something along those lines.  Or if the higher voltage you're measuring is the correct one and something in the scope itself is loading down the one that's lower - in other words, while there is no amplification in the mainframe, could some fault therein be causing attenuation?  The net result would be similar.  If multiple plug ins that were known to be working aren't, then the common thing is the scope itself.  Do ANY vertical plug ins work correctly in it?

-Pat

I agree. If multiple plug-ins do this and you are confident they are good then something is amiss at the main connector or in the mainframe itself.

But with one deflection plate at 150V and the other at 250V plus you'll never get the beam on screen let alone centered.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56593 on: April 22, 2020, 11:21:20 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3029238/#msg3029238

Moving forward... For good or evil, the Creality Upgrade is complete. Installed Ender 3 Hotend plate & hotend, PetsFang V2, Creality Silver CNC Extruder, Capricorn Bowden tube, and my plug-in pin header for quick fan & hotend swaps.

mnem
*tinker-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56594 on: April 22, 2020, 11:23:08 pm »

Moving forward... For good or evil, the Creality Upgrade is complete. Installed Ender 3 Hotend plate & hotend, PetsFang V2, Creality Silver CNC Extruder, Capricorn Bowden tube, and my plug-in pin header for quick fan & hotend swaps.

mnem
*tinker-ily*

That's all great and wonderful but you didn't answer the basic question. Does it work?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56595 on: April 22, 2020, 11:33:55 pm »
@mansaxel: we also did not mention EG&G Wakefield, Farnell, FUG, Heiden, Innotec, JFA electronique, Kikusui, Knott, Labvolt, Philips, Schroff, Toellner, Trygon and Xantrex. And have you heard of Johanna Jäger Elektronik?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56596 on: April 22, 2020, 11:44:52 pm »
All of the above is probably true... but he's got 2 AVOs in there going for pin money ATM...

mnem
*currently very confused by my 3DP*

That is correct, but the model 8 has the needle stuck near full scale which is not a very healthy sign at all. I was looking at them myself, but I already have 2 so meh, not bothered.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56597 on: April 22, 2020, 11:48:42 pm »

-Pat
Nope. That one is still active. Just encountered some of the victims a few days ago. Patched up with duck tape, chassis visibly distorted, falls to the panel...the usual. Like that surplus dealer/pig breeder over here.
Oink.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56598 on: April 22, 2020, 11:49:37 pm »
That is correct, but the model 8 has the needle stuck near full scale which is not a very healthy sign at all. I was looking at them myself, but I already have 2 so meh, not bothered.

Don't all AVOs have a transit lock on the movement...?

mnem
 :-DMM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56599 on: April 22, 2020, 11:56:14 pm »

mnem
*tinker-ily*
That's all great and wonderful but you didn't answer the basic question. Does it work?  :P :-DD

You COULD click the link and find out, I suppose... >:D

mnem
 :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf