Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16684021 times)

Robert763, wkb, Vince and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56225 on: April 19, 2020, 03:29:15 pm »
BEST USE. OF FILAMENT. EVER!!!

30 Seconds with a BIC lighter transforming leftover scrap of filament into a tool: $0.01

2 minute fix (including making tool): $0.00

Daughter's favorite coin purse all fixed:
PRICELESS!

mnem
"DADDY FIX!!!"  ;D ~my baby grrl
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56226 on: April 19, 2020, 03:32:14 pm »
Well just crown you Father of the Year.  :P :P :-DD

Teasing...good fix.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56227 on: April 19, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »
Hey... this is the IMPORTANT stuff. ;)

mnem

parenthood:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:43:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56228 on: April 19, 2020, 04:21:51 pm »
Wish I had something to fix at the moment. Literally bored shitless.

Actually I'm probably going to list everything I've got that I was going to list for £10 or under on ebay seeing as that's got the same outcome as £1 listing weekends. Also only selling stuff I can ram in the post box over the road.

Edit: thinking about clearing out my TH component stock. I prefer working with SMD even on prototypes now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:24:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56229 on: April 19, 2020, 04:41:31 pm »

Actually I'm probably going to list everything I've got that I was going to list for £10 or under on ebay seeing as that's got the same outcome as £1 listing weekends. Also only selling stuff I can ram in the post box over the road.

Edit: thinking about clearing out my TH component stock. I prefer working with SMD even on prototypes now.

Come and finish painting my bedroom ceiling.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56230 on: April 19, 2020, 04:43:27 pm »

Hopefully, tonight I'll finish up replacing my Tek 492's unobtanium fan with a modern fan. The twists are containing the noise (both electrical and mechanical), avoiding a current inrush blowing a £7(!) fuse, and temperature controlling it.

You could come and recap my hp53310a or hp8652b. Oh, actually, you can't.

I know what you mean about SMT vs PTH, but PTH is good for repairs and quick-and-dirty prototyping, especially with manhattan styles. The only component I've needed to buy for my 492's motor controller is a 22k thermistor.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56231 on: April 19, 2020, 04:50:29 pm »

Perhaps you can answer a question that puzzles me. In Acquire mode and the "Repetition" turned off a 10MHz square wave looks terrible. From what I can figure out the scope is in "real time" mode but it apparently limits it's B/W to 40MHz which explains the roll off. But with "Repetition" turned on and max sample rate of 256 the result is an accurate and beautiful square wave. Why the limited B/W in real time mode?

I've noted this and the handbook is not really clear about. While they note that the usable single shot bandwith is 40MHz, they do not clearly say that it is limited to this value. I'm not privy to the reasoning behind - might have to do with avoiding unusable/misleading indications. The performance data states this also, even giving USB`= sampling freq./2.5 which, according to Nyquist, seems right.
But I can not say what would happen otherwise, i.e. when keeping the BW open for a single shot aquisition.

Regarding the 8038: who didn't?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #56232 on: April 19, 2020, 04:51:09 pm »
(how the f do i rotate images? can't find any docs that work...)

GIMP?

That Lack Rack Hack looks cool but I haven't given up hope of finding a ready made one.
I might find one at the current site, need to explore a bit. The only one I've seen there so far needs to stay as it's for the CCTV and we've resupplied it.

@Saskia, getting stuff from the US to europe is ludicrously complicated and expensive. I'm sure there are short-cuts, as I see plenty of non-TE stuff offered with free shipping, but maybe that's risky if customs decide to be dicks? idk.
Whatever, it's stupid that it's harder and more expensive to ship from the US than from China, for us in the UK and you in the EU.

@mnem, you just re-invented the draw-wire...   ::)
I must admit I do enjoy the near-legendary status you can achieve by doing such things for your kids (grandkids now for me, my daughter is now 30, and not impressed by anything any more).
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56233 on: April 19, 2020, 04:54:06 pm »

Hopefully, tonight I'll finish up replacing my Tek 492's unobtanium fan with a modern fan. The twists are containing the noise (both electrical and mechanical), avoiding a current inrush blowing a £7(!) fuse, and temperature controlling it.

I know what you mean about SMT vs PTH, but PTH is good for repairs and quick-and-dirty prototyping, especially with manhattan styles. The only component I've needed to buy for my 492's motor controller is a 22k thermistor.

Good luck with the fan. I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with that  :-DD

I've developed my own SMD manhattan style with the 0.8mm thick single sided PCB on top of 1.6mm substrate. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't cost as much. Also the parts take up a lot less room! I've got the SMD parts down to one small box. I've worked out you can actually work with SOIC ICs upside down with a bit of kynar and some alcohol to steady the caffeine shakes as well :)

Example... with a cut board....

edit: also nothing wrong with hand drawn etch resist boards for SMD!

Also seems less fugly than the TH stuff does

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:59:38 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56234 on: April 19, 2020, 05:00:19 pm »
Our equivalent over here has had a long and pretty serious article on EMC, co-written by some clued amateurs, the interference hunters at Elsäkerhetsverket (Electrical Safety Authority) and the technical manager of the local utility company where they went on a hunt and found a couple of isolators on a utility pole intermittently drenching the entire HF band in crap.
Now that's reasoned. All we get usually is some old luddites whining about all technological progression causing QRM on 80m so they can't exchange weekly ailment reports/

In other news, I'm not so done with amateur radio. Enabler Type 1, Mark 1 Mod 3, also known as The Wife, gave me both a NanoVNA and a Sirio stubby GP antenna for Christmas. Now I've finally gotten around to put them in use. The antenna went up on its pole last weekend, and I had the Messi & Paoloni 3/8" cable terminated in the antenna end, and with the free end hanging in a coil under cover.

Since I'm with BD139 on the virtues of water-logged coax, I try to protect it as much as possible. I try to have only N connectors for antennas, and this Sirio has it.  The exposed run from the pipe along the wall and into shelter under the house gets run through a length of flexible conduit:

First QSO has been had.
I would recommend making a drain hole to the flexible conduit at the lowest point and also fitting some drip guard to the cable above the entry into the conduit. If the conduit becomes a bathtub for the coax, nothing is won. The simplest drip guard would be a fixed loop to the cable and keeping the sides of the loop separated.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:02:39 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56235 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:46 pm »
A good trick I learned from a cable monkey years ago is put a couple of cable ties where the water runs that point down. Water goes straight down them and not the cable. That didn't stop the bloody squirrels dismantling the entire fibre line over the space of a weekend to turn into a nest though  >:(

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56236 on: April 19, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »

Good luck with the fan. I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with that  :-DD

I've developed my own SMD manhattan style with the 0.8mm thick single sided PCB on top of 1.6mm substrate. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't cost as much. Also the parts take up a lot less room! I've got the SMD parts down to one small box. I've worked out you can actually work with SOIC ICs upside down with a bit of kynar and some alcohol to steady the caffeine shakes as well :)

Example... with a cut board....

edit: also nothing wrong with hand drawn etch resist boards for SMD!

Also seems less fugly than the TH stuff does

I don't have much choice with the 492, unless I only want to run it for a few minutes at a time. I've got an adequate controller working; now all I've got to do is duplicate the 5V overvoltage crowbar that happens to be on the same circuit (and which is connected to the rest of the machine by a wimpy ribbon cable and 0.1" headers!)

A couple of examples of prototyping I've used when trying to convince people that solderless breadboards are the devil's handiwork. The gaps are made with a dremel and spherical dentist's bur. I'm currently using an inverted cone, and I can use it for cuts between 0.1" pins.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56237 on: April 19, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »
I am now convinced  :-D. Thank you for the motivation.

I’m going to trade off going for a run versus listing stuff on eBay first as I’m not sure I can be bothered to dig through it all today. I’m not sure I can be bothered to go for a run though

Edit: aaand after 2 minutes in the cuboard I'm making a bagel and going for a run  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:23:32 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56238 on: April 19, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Fixed that for you  :D

Our equivalent over here has had a long and pretty serious article on EMC, co-written by some clued amateurs, the interference hunters at Elsäkerhetsverket (Electrical Safety Authority) and the technical manager of the local utility company where they went on a hunt and found a couple of isolators on a utility pole intermittently drenching the entire HF band in crap.
Now that's reasoned. All we get usually is some old luddites whining about all technological progression causing QRM on 80m so they can't exchange weekly ailment reports/

In other news, I'm not so done with amateur radio. Enabler Type 1, Mark 1 Mod 3, also known as The Wife, gave me both a NanoVNA and a Sirio stubby GP antenna for Christmas. Now I've finally gotten around to put them in use. The antenna went up on its pole last weekend, and I had the Messi & Paoloni 3/8" cable terminated in the antenna end, and with the free end hanging in a coil under cover.

Since I'm with BD139 on the virtues of water-logged coax, I try to protect it as much as possible. I try to have only N connectors for antennas, and this Sirio has it.  The exposed run from the pipe along the wall and into shelter under the house gets run through a length of flexible conduit:

Once I'm reasonably certain I'll reach the connector panel I cut the over length off and store it temporarily:

Finally, one sometimes has to solder away from the bench:

Aaaand it measures reasonably in length:

SWR is reasonable, I think:

First QSO has been had.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #56239 on: April 19, 2020, 05:19:18 pm »
Catching up on the last 20 pages...

here are some pictures of that biner.  no idea if it is a good one, or a piece of crap.
Thanks for posting more detailed pictures.  That biner does not look the same as what I thought when it was on the pack.  It is a reputable biner from Bonaiti in Italy.  I have heard of those, but have never seen one of those in North America.  It is even printed on the spine that it was rated, when new and in perfect condition, at 2300 kg force normally loaded and 650 kg force when cross-loaded.  Modern biners are rated in kN.

So, cyclin_al, Kosmix, mnem, et al, what's the story with the somewhat recent (a year or two?) surge in TE from eBay sellers in Canada? I don't recall so many before. Are there a lot of businesses/labs upgrading or something?

As Kosmic said, the government is doing some investment these days.  If you go back two elections, the government of that day was cutting programs.  Gear surplused at that time went in large batches.  The batches were too large and expensive for individuals, so resellers got most of it.  I acquired my HP PSU and AWG in 2019 from those sources and still have the government asset stickers on them.  Still, that cannot account for everything that is showing up.

Mmmhmmm... might be they can see the writing on the wall and are looking to insulate their infrastructure from that of the US; maybe even build up some of their own STEM resources instead of borrowing from the neighbors. I've noticed some major changes in how my IPs are routed now vs when I first got here; even in the time since I started using my VPN. Used to be everything was routed through NYC and Jersey; now about half the time it goes through Montreal and sometimes even LA. :-//

In my opinion, I would not relate any of those together.  I work in the national capital, and my anecdotes support the oposite of insulating infrastructure from the US.  In some cases, it is not working out so well though I will not get into details. When it comes to STEM, there appears to be an innovative approach to looking for opportunities that the US has overlooked.  That is very much a crystal ball game so sometimes it leads to Canada leading in some way, but more often not.  Internet infrastructure is a whole other issue.  I commute home from the capital to find myself in one of the poorest regions with almost the least access to internet within Canada.  I am waiting for those government announcements to be implemented, but not holding my breath.  My concern is more the last mile, or at least the last 20 miles.  Anything better than 3 Mbps here means there is going to be a brief outage in the next 20 minutes  :-//.

nothing beats the excitement of your having received launch clearance by the ATC, pushed the launch button after a final look around and then watching that fucktard of a glider pilot coming out of the sun at 100 ft altitude with a speed of > 160 mph (no chance to see him in time) while your rockets launch.
LOL (after the fact only), similar sort of story here.  The neighbour has a field divided into strips for soybean, corn and wheat.  It makes a perfect runway simulation.  We see lots of student pilot training going on.  I had a close call while putting up scaffolding to redo my garage roof.  A Cessna 172 or similar came in over my garage to do a simulated landing with go-around.  Almost hit the scaffolding.  :phew: 50 feet agl is not even close to the minimum of 500 feet agl for training or 2000 feet agl for normal operations.  I phoned up the regional enforcement office on the Monday after, who I happened to know personally, and his first response was "I hope that was not my plane!"  :wtf: (it was not his).  For some strange reason, all the small airraft were very well behaved for the following 6 months.

@mnementh, I thought you were located in the suburban wasteland located north of the GTA.  All this interesting chat of welding and farming makes me think you are even a bit further north than I initially thought.  I wonder, but I won't ask for detail, how close you might be to where I grew up and where my parents still live.  That being a city where two lakes meet and has the main cop shop.

Unlike med's snow, we had some beautiful weather here.  The plan was to take the snow tires off the vehicles.  Got 2 of 3 vehicles done eventually, but I was interrupted before even starting.  The gar (since "boi" is already taken) told me the back wheel of his bike would not spin.  The brake cable was tangled up in it.  On closer look, the cable boss on the frame was snapped off  :-[.  This is where the brake cable leaves the sheath and is bare cable on the final run to the brakes.  I looked through the junk box and found a brakeset that connects to housed cable.  That appeared to be an easy brake swap (yeah right!) which led to some grinding to enlarge the caliper spring alignment holes on the frame.  The garcon gave me the thumbs up when he did the test ride at the end of the job.  However, he only wants brakes that good or better now.  How many bikes for 6 year olds have Shimano XT V-brakes???   The originals were cheap cable-pull calipers.  And we wonder how kids develop expensive tastes. :scared:

Coming round to electronics since today is a rainy day, are there any good resources to read on how to open up consumer electronics without causing major damage?  I have, rather I was given, a few things that have succumbed to battery leadage.  Yes, I feel like I am a broken record when dealing with this subject with family.  :horse: Today's challenge is a Polaroid TV remote control.  I found the tiny screw in the battery compartment, but still not able to open it up without getting physical.  I can put it aside for a few hours to think about it.  The remote control is needed since the TV with it is in the RV trailer, which in turn has become a home office due to COVID19.  The TV is intended to be a second monitor for the work laptop.  Working inside the house is not working (intentional pun), since the garcon claims he is the priority.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56240 on: April 19, 2020, 05:40:35 pm »
first task is to neutralize the potassium hydroxide goo. carefully spray with a bit of vinegar and wait for the bubbles and the foam to subside (which is the neutralizing process  at work). Then force it open, take out the PCB (if possible and submerge any stuff where any of that goo got to in vinegar. I usually use vinegar acid at 25%, wait a few seconds until the bubbling subsides, and then throw it into the ultrasonic to clean off any remaining gunk.
Normally that works.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56241 on: April 19, 2020, 06:07:57 pm »
GIMP?

Or, jpegtran. Or convert. That is not the point. The image contains orientation data that is ignored by something, so rotating the image by altering it will simply mess it up more.

Oh, wait.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ rdjpgcom -v GP430LBN.jpeg
JPEG image is 5504w * 3096h, 3 color components, 8 bits per sample
JPEG process: Baseline

The rotation data was mangled by something; because exif says:

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ exif GP430LBN.jpeg
Corrupt data
The data provided does not follow the specification.
ExifLoader: The data supplied does not seem to contain EXIF data.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$

This is one of those situations when anyway you turn, your butt will point backwards..

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56242 on: April 19, 2020, 06:13:51 pm »

I would recommend making a drain hole to the flexible conduit at the lowest point and also fitting some drip guard to the cable above the entry into the conduit. If the conduit becomes a bathtub for the coax, nothing is won. The simplest drip guard would be a fixed loop to the cable and keeping the sides of the loop separated.

The top end of the conduit is inside the vertical pipe holding the antenna, and the top of that pipe is closed by the antenna fitting over it. The joint in the middle of the pipe is oriented so that there can be no water ingress.  But a hole is a cheap insurance. I agree.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #56243 on: April 19, 2020, 06:19:47 pm »
GIMP?

Or, jpegtran. Or convert. That is not the point. The image contains orientation data that is ignored by something, so rotating the image by altering it will simply mess it up more.

Oh, wait.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ rdjpgcom -v GP430LBN.jpeg
JPEG image is 5504w * 3096h, 3 color components, 8 bits per sample
JPEG process: Baseline

The rotation data was mangled by something; because exif says:

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ exif GP430LBN.jpeg
Corrupt data
The data provided does not follow the specification.
ExifLoader: The data supplied does not seem to contain EXIF data.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$

This is one of those situations when anyway you turn, your butt will point backwards..

Hmm, I see...

Can the situation be eased by changing the format?

A bit like using google translate backwards and forwards a few times, sometimes you get interesting results...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56244 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:02 pm »
Ugh whoever invented the shit show that is the rotation on images is a cunt and I really want to strangle the bastard.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56245 on: April 19, 2020, 07:11:20 pm »
Just furking Apple fruit typical BS.
Every image I take with iPhones needs be rotated right and I do that with MS Picture Manager for them to come out right on the forum. The dumb shit is, view the same post on an iPad or some other fruit and it's cocked on its side again.  :wtf:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56246 on: April 19, 2020, 07:18:43 pm »
Same trouble. Also arguing with HEIC is a pain now as well

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56247 on: April 19, 2020, 07:30:03 pm »
Ugh whoever invented the shit show that is the rotation on images is a cunt and I really want to strangle the bastard.

Yes, it is a good idea but the execution is subpar. Of course, what "exif" reports as "corrupt", Apple Preview on my laptop says is readable metadata, with a rotation value of 6, 90° CCW. "feh" (which is a very spartan X11 picture viewer with some minimal editing features) opens the same image like apache and your browsers do. Once I'd saved the rotation from it, Preview still opens it right.

Since I'm self-hosting my images and they're on a network filesystem where I can open them from my computer, the original post should be OK now. *goes checking*

Edit: No, still sideways. Perhaps caching artefacts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:36:56 pm by mansaxel »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56248 on: April 19, 2020, 07:36:15 pm »
Since I'm self-hosting my images .......
And what happens to them when you no longer can ?

Far too many old posts have lost their content by not having content uploaded here.  :--
Edit pics, crop, resize or whatever and host them on EEVblog where they will stay at least while Dave is still kicking.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56249 on: April 19, 2020, 07:50:51 pm »

Perhaps you can answer a question that puzzles me. In Acquire mode and the "Repetition" turned off a 10MHz square wave looks terrible. From what I can figure out the scope is in "real time" mode but it apparently limits it's B/W to 40MHz which explains the roll off. But with "Repetition" turned on and max sample rate of 256 the result is an accurate and beautiful square wave. Why the limited B/W in real time mode?

I've noted this and the handbook is not really clear about. While they note that the usable single shot bandwith is 40MHz, they do not clearly say that it is limited to this value. I'm not privy to the reasoning behind - might have to do with avoiding unusable/misleading indications. The performance data states this also, even giving USB`= sampling freq./2.5 which, according to Nyquist, seems right.
But I can not say what would happen otherwise, i.e. when keeping the BW open for a single shot aquisition.

Regarding the 8038: who didn't?

It's not running in single shot mode. It's free running. Which makes it even more puzzling. As soon as you go beyond say 1MHz you need to turn repetition ON or else you start to get the roll off as originally shown.  :-// :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf