Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16683456 times)

Vince, elevendroids and 73 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55925 on: April 16, 2020, 02:04:35 pm »
Maybe I missed something then, but you made a statement about "some cunt has decided that cutting tiles, bricks or concrete all day is the best thing to do when everyone is stuck at home. There's probably up to a hundred or so homes enjoying his racket."

I was looking for an attachment or something to do with the statement?
It was a independent statement, nothing more. Some cunt neighbour is grinding to his heart's content and making a lot of noise.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55926 on: April 16, 2020, 02:06:46 pm »
Maybe I missed something then, but you made a statement about "some cunt has decided that cutting tiles, bricks or concrete all day is the best thing to do when everyone is stuck at home. There's probably up to a hundred or so homes enjoying his racket."

It was a independent statement, nothing more. Some cunt neighbour is grinding to his heart's content and making a lot of noise.
Oh I see, suppose I should have guessed that then.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #55927 on: April 16, 2020, 02:08:39 pm »
I'm gonna guess someone's running a tile saw.  They are (IME) obnoxiously loud, and often used in short bursts - turn on, cut, turn off, install cut tile, measure next, repeat.  Results in somewhat randomly spaced bursts of loud noise.  It annoys me when I use one, must be hell for others too.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55928 on: April 16, 2020, 02:13:36 pm »
I've got one of the (original Cisco) unobtainium cables for these, but not one of the cards (and so many old 2600s and 3600s that I've forgotten exactly how many).

@bd139 If you want a 2600 for the cost of shipping, it's yours. Just need to figure out how to get it to you. I've got a bunch of stuff stacked up that I've been meaning to unload.

Thanks for the offer but will have to decline. I just got offered a couple of 2901's from work with the serial+GbE EHWIC cards and serial cables that were running the old EDI crap we had to run that got turned off a couple of years ago. Will sneak into the office and pick them up along with some other bits next week.

I LOVE prehistoric CISCO gear. Matches my prehistoric MAKITA power tools. >:D

So you reported him again then?

Is that a virgin cabinet then? I certainly don't have any of them in my street, we have about 6 manholes in the footpath and all of their gear is installed in those. They had to replace a node in our street a few years ago and it was done in the manhole across the street to me.

EDIT:If you posted this comment on his YT channel, you will not be surprised to learn that he has deleted it.

Yep reported.

That is a virgin cabinet. One of the newer ones. It's only former NTL estate where they put it under the ground I think. Bet mine was deleted too  :-DD. Will keep reposting it. YT has an API i can call  :-DD

Yeeah... I reported the douchebag and called him a 1d10t to his face, making him all sad so he had to delete my horrible hatefulness.  >:D I'm done with this (l)user; I have more important things on my docket, like figuring out how to measure heat break (cringe) temp on my 3DP. Or having my toes painted by my daughter.  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55929 on: April 16, 2020, 02:15:17 pm »
There's little to guess. :) It's all in the message, except for maybe the neighbour part. Considering the circumstances that's not much of a guess either.  :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55930 on: April 16, 2020, 02:16:01 pm »

You missed the part of the conversation that was inside his head. ;)

mnem
...aaaand now we've gone recursive. :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55931 on: April 16, 2020, 02:16:53 pm »
I'm gonna guess someone's running a tile saw.  They are (IME) obnoxiously loud, and often used in short bursts - turn on, cut, turn off, install cut tile, measure next, repeat.  Results in somewhat randomly spaced bursts of loud noise.  It annoys me when I use one, must be hell for others too.

-Pat
Not sure it's tiles, bricks or concrete. The short bursts are interspersed with long bouts too. Maybe someone it slotting a slab or something.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55932 on: April 16, 2020, 02:19:13 pm »

-Pat

But that doesn't stop you, does it...?  >:D

mnem
Nor does it stop you thinking about keeping the saw rather than returning it to the rental center... :scared:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55933 on: April 16, 2020, 02:21:12 pm »

mnem
It's not like I'm talking in riddles. Cunt. Noise. That's all. Could probably have added it's a neighbour for a bit of context but considering half the world is stuck indoors even that seems superfluous.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55934 on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »

mnem
It's not like I'm talking in riddles. Cunt. Noise. That's all. Could probably have added it's a neighbour for a bit of context but considering half the world is stuck indoors even that seems superfluous.
Well, considering all whats been going on today with some twat trying to incite civil unrest and attacks against telecommunications in the UK, I did wonder if you had found something equally stupid on the internet or something but the link or attachment was missing, hence my enquiry, sorry if it caused you problems but it did look like something was missing from your post.  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55935 on: April 16, 2020, 02:39:10 pm »
Well, considering all whats been going on today with some twat trying to incite civil unrest and attacks against telecommunications in the UK, I did wonder if you had found something equally stupid on the internet or something but the link or attachment was missing, hence my enquiry, sorry if it caused you problems but it did look like something was missing from your post.  >:D
You think I actually read yous messages before barfing my own into this thread?  >:D

Are all y'all feeling all right? Is the cabin fever treating everyone okay?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55936 on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:38 pm »
You think I actually read yous messages before barfing my own into this thread?  >:D

Why not, I read other peoples messages first, I might either learn something or be able to contribute to the topics being discussed.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55937 on: April 16, 2020, 03:22:19 pm »
Why not, I read other peoples messages first, I might either learn something or be able to contribute to the topics being discussed.  :-+
Reading, learning and contributing sound hard.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55938 on: April 16, 2020, 03:37:13 pm »
Are all y'all feeling all right? Is the cabin fever treating everyone okay?

How DARE you say that to me! I demand satisfaction! Take this cutlass and step outside this instant!

Fine. Why would you think otherwise?

Oh, did I say that out loud?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55939 on: April 16, 2020, 03:39:34 pm »

What thread ? this is my blog not a forum and you are all in my head.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55940 on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:27 pm »
I'm seeing people crack up right before my eyes. You all need to go wash windows or something before it becomes permanent.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55941 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:05 pm »
Finally completed a project between incidents, albeit not totally TE related. I got the Metcal out for it though  :-+

Illumination for display #2 going in...

Final install taped up like a supermodel.

Three heads are better than one :-DD. This is all running off the T470 in a dock.

The electronics are going to be moved to bench 2 which is behind me as everyone eats dinner on the sofa anyway  :-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Mortymore, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55942 on: April 16, 2020, 03:43:59 pm »
Nice setup  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55943 on: April 16, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »
My condolences to you BD. 

Sorry I've been slack in not offering them earlier, but it is sometimes difficult to find the right words.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55944 on: April 16, 2020, 03:53:29 pm »
I'm seeing people crack up right before my eyes. You all need to go wash windows or something before it becomes permanent.  :-DD

My project this week: installing a new power line (5x 16mm²) from our basement to the main electrical distribution panelboard.
The old power line comes down from the roof but this will change now in the near future. Im living in a small village in an old house (build around 1876 or so).

Does this count?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55945 on: April 16, 2020, 03:59:13 pm »

My project this week: installing a new power line (5x 16mm²) from our basement to the main electrical distribution panelboard.
The old power line comes down from the roof but this will change now in the near future. Im living in a small village in an old house (build around 1876 or so).

Does this count?  ;D

That's great.  :-+ But some of these other blokes need to find something to do. This stay at home stuff is bringing out the looney tunes.

I've had a year and a half to adjust to "stay at home" so this is no big deal to me. I always make a point of planning at least a day before what to do the next day and typically I do carry out that plan. Keeps me sane. But of course sometimes I deviate from that plan or decide screw it and do nothing. But I give myself options rather than stare at the wall and say "now what the hell do I do?"  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55946 on: April 16, 2020, 03:59:38 pm »
On a TEA note:

Not only does it fit, but the BNC can still be used, if I want.

Happy camper.  :)

So... do I:
 4. Find a different IEC cable

4: https://www.powercord.com.au/2m-wall-to-left-angle-iec-c13-power-cable/

Looks like that will give him the clearance he needs.  :-+

Interesting.

There is another BNC on the other side of the power socket, but it is a little further away and that plug looks to have a shorter and narrower strain relief.

I think that could work.

Edit: Update - ORDERED.

.... and Thank You.   :-+
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:01:53 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mansaxel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55947 on: April 16, 2020, 04:02:46 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55948 on: April 16, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »

mnem

LOL... That is literally the DEFINITION of a riddle; some seemingly incongruous statement that would make sense if only it were placed in proper context. :-DD

This is why I put those garish headings over some of my posts: I know we are communicating in a vacuum here; using only the written word and devoid of the usual secondary and tertiary channels people take for granted while having a conversation like facial expression, body language, vocal tone and hand gestures.

I know it may SEEM like the context is obvious; but it's not, at least here in this limited space. Be gratuitous, egregious even with context; you'll sow much less confusion in the minds of those you are trying to communicate with.
;)

mnem
"I dunno... fly casual."

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55949 on: April 16, 2020, 04:22:02 pm »

Does this count?  ;D

Without electrics there can be no electronics. Of course it counts!

Mine is further from. Annual vehicle inspection of my Volvo revealed
  • One oil leak, probably from crank case ventilation being clogged,
  • One smashed registration plate,
  • and, which was just a FYI, left inner steering ball joint out of tolerance

So of course I set out doing the FYI while for now ignoring the others. (They are minor issues, in the spirit of we trust you'll fix those, right?)

Last time I did this, it spawned another forum thread. Somewhere else. There's pictures. And Swedish.

Also, I've got an intermittent valve actuator on the inlet camshaft variable timing. That's electronics. And a bit hard to fix, actually.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf