Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16685347 times)

Gertjan, Peter_O and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53725 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:16 pm »
I finally took the time to clean up the Power Designs 2005a power supply I got a while ago. (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2379117/#msg2379117, been almost a year already  :o)

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

This is the older model with an ovenised voltage reference (the big red capsule).

Interestingly all the caps are still in good shape, but the switches were a little bit crusty. So I started by cleaning everything with a lot of IPA. Then I applied some Deoxit G5 on the switch contacts with a syringe. And then I applied some Deoxit S5 (lubricant) on most of the moving parts of the switches.

The results after calibration and adjustment:

Wow, Very nice restoration!   :-+
These PD 2005 are beautiful inside and outside. If I didn't have my HP 6114As I'd probably go for these...    :)

It's fun to directly dial in the voltage value into your DMM, isn't it?    :-DMM      :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53726 on: March 27, 2020, 05:05:05 pm »
After reviewing this thread I believe I might have caught TEA. Please review for eligibility.

Thank you,

Chris

Be welcomed, you fit in here snugly.   :)
Looking forward to your TE* being presented by you.   :popcorn:

I see you've got a HP 2804A Quartz Thermometer in your stack. Does it work and did you get it together with matching probes/cards?
I lost bidding on one several years ago that came as a complete, matching set including all accessories.

*-including your repair stack (courious...)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53727 on: March 27, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »
Random doohickey. Found this via another thread: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894331223.html

$20 for a whole PLC. Granted it's hooky as fuck but worth a bash for less than the price of the damn programming cable for most of the larger brand commercial ones. I blame Grizewald's gratuitous usage of Meanwell DIN rail units for some ideas I've had  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53728 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:23 pm »
It would appear that Europe is sleeping in this morning.  :-//

Lazy wankers.  >:D :-DD

I might remind you that we're operating on Greenwich (London) Mean Time, not Greenwich Village Grumpy Time. Anyway, shouldn't a man of your years be about ready to be tucked up with a glass of warm milk at this hour?

No, I was bright eyed and ready to face my day and causing my usual mayhem and pissing off an entire nation by mistaking the Kiwi flag for the Aussie flag.  :-// :palm: :-DD

Edit...currently out in garage fabbing together something TE related.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:16:24 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53729 on: March 27, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »
Random doohickey. Found this via another thread: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894331223.html

$20 for a whole PLC. Granted it's hooky as fuck but worth a bash for less than the price of the damn programming cable for most of the larger brand commercial ones. I blame Grizewald's gratuitous usage of Meanwell DIN rail units for some ideas I've had  :-DD

DIN FTW!

You know it makes sense...

:-DD
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #53730 on: March 27, 2020, 05:21:29 pm »
For when the instructions say 'finger tight':
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53731 on: March 27, 2020, 05:21:50 pm »
It's fun to directly dial in the voltage value into your DMM, isn't it?    :-DMM      :-DD

(On a 2020B at least...) Only accurately down to 1mV resolution. Below that you have to use the trimpot to get to ~20µV resolution.

Of course other PSUs would kill for that :) The 2020 is one of those things that is right :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53732 on: March 27, 2020, 05:24:09 pm »

DIN FTW!

Yeah nice neat installations and opportunity for me to lace up cables nicely 8). The only problem is I'm now looking for PLCs with 4-20 loops on them  :palm:. Back in the 1980s pissing around with them is what I wanted to do with my life as it meant getting out and going to places. Well that was a failure. I'm now sitting here debugging the shit show that is keepalived, haproxy and the linux kernel's piss poor handling of socket reuse >:(

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53733 on: March 27, 2020, 05:24:50 pm »

That looks a mean bit of kit, good price and as we all now know, not all Chinese kit is shit, I reckon that is one of the better VFM ones.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53734 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:24 pm »
It would appear that Europe is sleeping in this morning.  :-//

Lazy wankers.  >:D :-DD

I might remind you that we're operating on Greenwich (London) Mean Time, not Greenwich Village Grumpy Time. Anyway, shouldn't a man of your years be about ready to be tucked up with a glass of warm milk at this hour?

No, I was bright eyed and ready to face my day and causing my usual mayhem and pissing off an entire nation by mistaking the Kiwi flag for the Aussie flag.  :-// :palm: :-DD

Edit...currently out in garage fabbing together something TE related.
Well, in your defence, they are very similar especially at the size of the icon our forum, I have to hover the mouse over the icon myself to see which one it is.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53735 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:52 pm »

Yes the resolution is impressive. I was worried that the resistors might have drifted but after adjustment that thing is bang-on.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53736 on: March 27, 2020, 05:37:50 pm »

DIN FTW!

Yeah nice neat installations and opportunity for me to lace up cables nicely 8). The only problem is I'm now looking for PLCs with 4-20 loops on them  :palm:. Back in the 1980s pissing around with them is what I wanted to do with my life as it meant getting out and going to places. Well that was a failure. I'm now sitting here debugging the shit show that is keepalived, haproxy and the linux kernel's piss poor handling of socket reuse >:(
Yep, I automated the City of London Crematorium in Manor Park, with PLC's in the 80's  I really enjoyed that job, designed the control panel, built it, installed, wrote the software and commissioned them and then went on maintain them for a number of years afterwards as well and I can tell you the tales you hear about crematoriums are not true.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53737 on: March 27, 2020, 05:39:48 pm »
I improved the power distribution for my rack.
I showed my new rack recently, especially a new switchable rack power distribution panel (mounted vertically) shown roughly in the middle of the following photo:

This rack power distribution panel was ~40€ with decent switches but poorly mounted and crappy IEC-outlets:

On one hand the plug-forces were all over the place from practically non-existent to extremely high. With the latter the individual IEC-outlets could be pulled nearly 0,4cm out of their mounting holes. Overall not very promising. Something had to be done.    :box:

I ordered eight Schurter brand ones for  ~10€ without shipping, improving this panel to a 50€ one.
The following photo shows the crappiness of the original ones and the decent quality of Schurter brand one. A look at the 4,8mm fast on connectors alone reveals the difference:

The spring mounting clips of the original crappy ones are inappropriate for being mounted into a housing with 0,8mm thick walls.    :palm:

As shown on the photo the Schurter IEC outlets have a mounting clip that works with form closure -this works well even with 0.8mm thick walls being mounted in -the Schurter IEC outlets I ordered a suitable for walls up to 1mm. The wiggle-y-ness of 0.2mm is ok for me with them not coming out like the crappy ones.

Happy now. And safer.  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:47:26 pm by URI »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, grizewald, Kosmic, syau

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53738 on: March 27, 2020, 05:50:21 pm »

Yes the resolution is impressive. I was worried that the resistors might have drifted but after adjustment that thing is bang-on.

Yes, these instruments were built to last back then.    :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53739 on: March 27, 2020, 05:51:38 pm »
Yep, I automated the City of London Crematorium in Manor Park, with PLC's in the 80's  I really enjoyed that job, designed the control panel, built it, installed, wrote the software and commissioned them and then went on maintain them for a number of years afterwards as well and I can tell you the tales you hear about crematoriums are not true.
They don't incinerate the remains of people into ashes in crematoriums? Blimey, I have to stop believing everything I hear.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53740 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:35 pm »

I have this feeling that lacing up cables is going to be the next big fashion. ;) I'm almost inspired to give it a try with the cables from my DIN rail supplies. Lacing up 12 AWG cable should be an interesting fight.

Rather you than me with the load balancer debugging. I wish you luck.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53741 on: March 27, 2020, 06:58:42 pm »
They don't incinerate the remains of people into ashes in crematoriums? Blimey, I have to stop believing everything I hear.
LMAO, I was talking about the urban myths about what happens to the bodies during the cremation process and the alleged actions of staff.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53742 on: March 27, 2020, 07:23:00 pm »

DIN FTW!

The $$$ growth-rate of that particular rabbit-hole is exponential; just like any such fall. ;)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000030877547.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026452814.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32902464034.html

mnem
Perhaps I should be glad my Kung-Fu is so weak... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53743 on: March 27, 2020, 07:26:18 pm »
Just got this hp 6114a fixed.  Turned out to be very handy for another project where dialing in a mV source was very useful as a standin for some temp sensors.

Looks like it's pretty close  ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53744 on: March 27, 2020, 07:38:39 pm »

DIN FTW!

The $$$ growth-rate of that particular rabbit-hole is exponential; just like any such fall. ;)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000030877547.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026452814.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32902464034.html

mnem
Perhaps I should be glad my Kung-Fu is so weak... :o

In the same line I was planning to order some of those: https://tinyfpga.com/

I don't need a fpga righht now but could be useful to have a small one for some projects.

Offline cjuried

• Contributor
    • Juried Engineering
« Reply #53745 on: March 27, 2020, 07:43:04 pm »
These are very precise, well built, units. I own the same unit, however, it is branded, Motorola.

I finally took the time to clean up the Power Designs 2005a power supply I got a while ago. (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2379117/#msg2379117, been almost a year already  :o)

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

This is the older model with an ovenised voltage reference (the big red capsule).

Interestingly all the caps are still in good shape, but the switches were a little bit crusty. So I started by cleaning everything with a lot of IPA. Then I applied some Deoxit G5 on the switch contacts with a syringe. And then I applied some Deoxit S5 (lubricant) on most of the moving parts of the switches.

The results after calibration and adjustment:

juriedengineering.com/

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53746 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:56 pm »
Just got this hp 6114a fixed.  Turned out to be very handy for another project where dialing in a mV source was very useful as a standin for some temp sensors.

Looks like it's pretty close  ;D

Yes, they're fine supplies. Well specced with high accuracy for voltage and (!) current.   :-+
You can't dial in the 1-9mV like with the PD 2005 though.   :palm:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:51:37 pm by URI »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53747 on: March 27, 2020, 08:54:38 pm »
Minor distraction from TE and PLC matters :-DD

Discovered that the problems with the Ender were because the extruder drive was worn out and slipping and the first layer wasn't going down properly. Spent some time putting the new aluminium one on it that I've had around for ages. Spent at least ten minutes trying to find some instructions and just worked it out in the end.

A test print was fired off and dinner arrived courtesy Charcoal Grill in Twickenham. Fuck the diet tonight. I need protein and carbs!!!!!!!!!  :-DD

And here we have it, including the ridge in the middle where the printer got disturbed by a small thing, 8 years old with legs, arms and a passion for destruction  :(

And we're back in business.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53748 on: March 27, 2020, 09:06:15 pm »
A test print was fired off and dinner arrived courtesy Charcoal Grill in Twickenham. Fuck the diet tonight. I need protein and carbs!!!!!!!!!  :-DD

Actually looking really good  :-+ I think I will break the lockdown tonight and order some food.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53749 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:59 pm »
It was amazing. Best thing I’ve eaten all week  :-DD. Uber eats is still functioning correctly fortunately  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf