Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17689280 times)

Vince and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52900 on: March 20, 2020, 12:21:11 am »
Lidl low-alcohol (3,5%) lager.

You're calling 3.5% beer low strength? What are you, Finnish?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52901 on: March 20, 2020, 12:26:01 am »
People like this person are the cause of the food shortages, and you know what, I bet that a lot of that will end up in the bin anyway with use before dates expiring and that fresh fruit and veg will go off real quick, bastards. There people working all day in essential jobs who when they get to shops at the end of their shifts will find next to nothing, while this wealthy person has all the time in the world got out and stock pile.  :rant:

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1240684125440352256?s=20

Yeah, what an entitled douche, and what a shitty example to set your kids. Chances are they'll be even worse than him when they grow up.

Send bd over there to burn his house down.  :-DD

If BD's temperature gets any higher you'd just need to press him against the front door.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52902 on: March 20, 2020, 12:29:49 am »
People like this person are the cause of the food shortages, and you know what, I bet that a lot of that will end up in the bin anyway with use before dates expiring and that fresh fruit and veg will go off real quick, bastards. There people working all day in essential jobs who when they get to shops at the end of their shifts will find next to nothing, while this wealthy person has all the time in the world got out and stock pile.  :rant:

Yeah, what an entitled douche, and what a shitty example to set your kids. Chances are they'll be even worse than him when they grow up.
Yeah, I'm all for looking after the family ensuing that they don't go hungry, but he had months worth of food and in reality you only need a 2 to 3 weeks worth as you must be able to source more in that time period.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52903 on: March 20, 2020, 12:33:58 am »

Here Super Bock, has 5.2%

952362-0

The following users thanked this post: sarahMCML

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52904 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:37 am »

Send bd over there to burn his house down.  :-DD

Hahaha. What the fuck did they buy as well?!?!! Dumbasses.

Also while I’m here, argh. Just spent three sodding hours trying to get an STM32 talking to a PCF8574 to no avail. The PCF8574 never acks the first bus command. Bus is properly terminated. Addressing correct. Will attack again tomorrow.

Going to bed.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52905 on: March 20, 2020, 12:45:00 am »

That's pretty much alcohol free in my book.

As an old school rocker, I drink snakebite mixed using Carlsberg Special Brew (7.5% ABV) and (preferably) Westons Vintage Cider (8.2% ABV).

Ok, back to catching up on my yt vids...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52906 on: March 20, 2020, 12:51:35 am »
I've been working in the manufacturing side of the industry for the 35 to 40 years right up to the time I retired I can safely say that the JIT method does indeed have its place in the business model. That place is in the high value luxury goods market, and not in the food chain or the basic commodity arena. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52907 on: March 20, 2020, 01:01:20 am »
Quick Amazon update.

They have been busy beavering away in the background it would seem with their suppliers, the yeast that I ordered which was shown as "prime" once the order was placed I got a revised delivery date of April14th, which was later revised to 24th March has now changed to 20th March, today, winner winner chicken dinner. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52908 on: March 20, 2020, 02:24:58 am »
I've been working in the manufacturing side of the industry for the 35 to 40 years right up to the time I retired I can safely say that the JIT method does indeed have its place in the business model. That place is in the high value luxury goods market, and not in the food chain or the basic commodity arena.

Sounds like you think food manufacturers will struggle to ramp up production quickly, to cope with the surge in demand?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52909 on: March 20, 2020, 04:39:24 am »
No, it is NOT. There are shortages ALL THE TIME due to poor logistics, and PEOPLE GO WITHOUT ALL THE TIME. The difference is those shortages are usually LOCALIZED, and rarely last longer than a week or two, and are USUALLY only a few types of product. We just take it for granted, even when it's life-critical medication like insulin or epi-pens and the "shortage" is 100% fabricated by greedy bastards; and we all listen to & make excuses to ourselves for all the BS  :bullshit: excuses our corporate overlords give us, because they act as if they were authorities.  :palm:

The fundamental reason for these constant shortfalls in EVERYTHING we once took for granted is the fundamentally flawed core concept of modern business: Finding any way to do business without paying a person to do a job. Shockingly, we are finding in times of global need something we average people always knew: That a person can deal with the unexpected, a machine (or a supply chain that acts like one) CANNOT.

mnem
*back to the bench*

Sorry, I have to disagree.

If anything, I will make this one qualification:
The fact that we have had a step-wise increase in demand of this magnitude is abnormal.

The model you are portraying can only result in higher prices - and a business which does not follow suit will soon see their "overly prepared for 98% of the time" competitor closing their doors in short order.

Don't blame business for this - blame the customers who demand the lowest prices and who will make an effort to find those.

Good lord. There's just do much wrong with this statement... it's the same exact BS logic that has kept the minimum wage at 50% of poverty level for half a century.  :palm:

mnem
*crawls off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52910 on: March 20, 2020, 04:44:30 am »
After this mess is over some of the world's currencies will probably be as valuable as sheets of toilet paper. :palm:

Yeah, recent devaluation of the CAD$ has saved me 10-12% on my 3DP purchases.  :-+ However, my bank is now treating my Amazon purchases like they have COVID and I'm having to repeatedly call the assholes and confirm that yes, I am me, and yes, I am cooped up in a house in The Great White North, and bored sheepless, so I bought a timesink project to keep from going nucking futs.  |O

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with two printer mallets*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52911 on: March 20, 2020, 04:57:31 am »
Need a cheap Steampunk 15kV thrill without needing to add fake bulbs and Nixie tubes to it ? eBay auction: #293494612320 I am tempted but my budget is blown after this weeks toys.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52912 on: March 20, 2020, 05:15:51 am »
Ok so my Glue should be dry now back to work....

Pre Smurfed Pommie made 100MHz Counter from the early 90's  eBay auction: #254531967657

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:48:15 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52913 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:00 am »
mHz ?  :o
Are you on the Gin again Bean ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52914 on: March 20, 2020, 05:49:13 am »

Edited just for you @tautech  :P Bloody spelling, grammar, technical police  :horse: :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52915 on: March 20, 2020, 05:53:59 am »

Edited just for you @tautech  :P Bloody spelling, grammar, technical police  :horse: :-DD
I should hope so !  :horse:
Again, are you on the Gin again Bean ?
Or is there a wish not to incriminate oneself ?

2 Little Creatures ahead of you anyways and early knock off for a Friday.....sold enough TEA this week.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52916 on: March 20, 2020, 05:58:32 am »
Just knocked the top off the first Coopers Pale Ale. 5pm Friday and the bits are square glued and clamped up for the night.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52917 on: March 20, 2020, 06:03:22 am »
Just knocked the top off the first Coopers Pale Ale. 5pm Friday and the bits are square glued and clamped up for the night.
You've earnt them, no not for the woodwork you're working on but the job you've done on Brumby this week.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52918 on: March 20, 2020, 06:06:57 am »
You've earnt them, no not for the woodwork you're working on but the job you've done on Brumby this week.  :-DD

We won't mention yesterdays PM's I titled 'Resident Evil' I sent him either :-DD Added another Plane (Stanley 78) to the woodworking collection today too. eBay auction: #174218495337 had all the guides unlike most of them.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52919 on: March 20, 2020, 06:14:32 am »
Added another Plane (Stanley 78) to the woodworking collection today too. eBay auction: #174218495337 had all the guides unlike most of them.
Looks not bad and IIRC a good bit more than I paid for mine nearly 45 years ago.  ::)
However it looks like it's missing the tiny 3 leg scoring edge cutter and possibly the little countersunk screw that holds in place too but if you need pics to fashion one up drop me a line.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52920 on: March 20, 2020, 06:21:08 am »
The little snicker was to hard to tell if it is there or not but making one is easier than hacking the guides. You can buy new ones eBay auction: #332878943519 or I will get some tool steel and DIY something.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52921 on: March 20, 2020, 06:28:32 am »
Mmmmm uploaded over 10 years ago and recommended today. Tinfoil hat wearers and Nostradamus nuts ready....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52922 on: March 20, 2020, 06:36:58 am »
The little snicker was to hard to tell if it is there or not but making one is easier than hacking the guides. You can buy new ones eBay auction: #332878943519 or I will get some tool steel and DIY something.
$40 for a screw and a spur FFS !  :--  :horse:

They not that hard that you can't sharpen them with a file so just HT steel should be fine.....and easier to work.

A moments thought comes up trumps......a bit of old lawnmower blade.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52923 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:47 am »

At a Swedish pub, the normal strength for beer is 4.5%.

The other problem is that the only place allowed to sell anything stronger than 3.5% is the government liquor shop. My nearest one is 4.5Km away and they are all closed on Sundays and shut at 3PM on Saturdays.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline sb42

• Contributor
« Reply #52924 on: March 20, 2020, 07:35:47 am »
I actually just bought a cheap stainless steel scouring pad from the grocery when I got here, and pegged it to my T12 soldering iron stand with a random bit of springy wire. cost Like a buck. :-+

Those tip cleaners are usually made of brass on the basis that it's harder than the oxide that forms on the tip but softer than the plating. They're also supposed to be lightly fluxed for the solder to take to the brass shavings.

I think I have plenty of the Hakko ones left - but curious to know if the steel scouring pad works well.

The amount of abrasion you're talking here is minimal; you can't apply any appreciable amount of pressure so it's COMPLETELY a non-issue. I've NEVER seen any flux on the HAKKO Brillos, and I had several bought directly from them when I had my FX-951.

Same here, though Hakko claim otherwise: http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_599b_feature.html

I'm inclined to believe that the manufacturing process involves a non-zero amount of flux somewhere. No way there can be enough of it to prevent tip oxidation, that part is nonsense.

I've been using SS Brillo in my HAKKO soldering stand for years; it works great and no appreciable wear on my tips, some of which are a decade old.

Good to know :-+

There's one other great thing about the SS Brillo; SOLDER DOESN'T STICK TO IT like the brass ones. I can wash the stuff with a little Windex and running water in the laundry room sink; then shake it dry and toss it back in the stand. Dump the sink strainer when I'm done, wash my hands and back to my life. I only replace the brillo when it gets ratty and all flyaway strands.

I like the brass wool ones for exactly that reason: the solder sticks to the brass and I can remove the whole contaminated mess with minimal dispersal of lead.

At some point I need to get a better holder than the Hakko 599B, which is a flimsy POC - the upper part doesn't fit onto the base very securely and will come off with the slightest help from the soldering iron >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf