Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16682883 times)

Robert763, elevendroids and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52500 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:47 pm »
Ah I know that guy. I keep nearly buying missile launcher switches from him. Then I give myself a mental slap round the face and tell myself to be sensible  :-DD
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/missile-launch-style-toggle-switch-cover-carbon-fibre-appearance/p/ST0584
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #52501 on: March 16, 2020, 07:15:39 pm »
Fingers crossed. I'll be surprised if Hermes can fuck up a Fluke. TBH our local regular driver is pretty good and reliable, just upstream you don't know about.

Yes working from home now. Everyone at the company is. I think it's a policy applied by our parent company as well so that's about 9000 people working from home suddenly. I get the feeling the infrastructure is going to bend soon. Already got problems with voice calls on slack and the inevitable problems of getting about 300 odd people using VPNs and stuff  :palm:

Being in the team responsible for, among others, the VPN, we did a load test today. The stupid SNMP device doing the graphs of number of users counted them to mumble34.45 peak (average of peak over 5 minute span, idiot fuckwit non-thinking about what stuff is important to know and display). We concluded that the .45 user probably wasn't trying hard enough.

"Yes, I think that RRD and the associated maths fuckup doing "graphs" (ie. lies) with it should be rewritten with a degausser, along with every copy of PHP ever spawned."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52502 on: March 16, 2020, 07:19:33 pm »
Hahaha know that feeling. Spent years looking after some piece of shit Perl RRD thing the name of which escapes me.  Got Prometheus and Grafana here now. Very damn nice bits of software for the price.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #52503 on: March 16, 2020, 07:20:29 pm »
[...]
 At the moment we burn vast amounts of energy moving people around for what is fundamentally tradition and a lack of trust.
[...]

There is more to it than that, though.  We are fundamentally social beings, we need to interact with other humans.  Doing so only online (directly from our brains floating in an aquarium or something, in the extreme) is not going to work...   we can definitely interact with people online (like we are doing right now) but we also need "real" interactions.

Outside of Mrs GreyWoolfe, my son and daughter-in-law, there are very few people I care to regularly interact with.  That includes the stepdaughter that still lives with us.  Thankfully, her husband transferred back to the other side of the state and she and granddaughter are following in June.  Very excited to finally be empty nesters though I will miss the granddaughter.  I have been a field service tech for almost 21 years and almost 16 of that working from home with my current company.  I interact by phone with my co-workers and I see people when I actually can't fix the issue by phone/remote and have to head to the site.  I am quite content to be with Mrs GreyWoolfe, my dogs and computer/book.  If we won the lottery, I'd be the one living on an island guarded by sharks with frikkin' lasers on their heads.

Would you settle for sea bass?  (Ill tempered, of course)

It horrifies me to think that that movie was released nearly 23 years ago - it does not seem possible that much time has passed...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52504 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:43 pm »
Right. So I’m going to sit down now and actually get my shit together and get an STM32 to flash an LED using HAL. I’m writing this down here so that when I inevitably fail miserably then you lot can take the piss out of me so it will motivate me to succeed.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, Kosmic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #52505 on: March 16, 2020, 07:59:08 pm »
Right. So I’m going to sit down now and actually get my shit together and get an STM32 to flash an LED using HAL. I’m writing this down here so that when I inevitably fail miserably then you lot can take the piss out of me so it will motivate me to succeed.  :-DD

Already done that some time ago ...
https://wunderkis.de/nucleof767/index.html

Now there's a fresh STM32H475 nucleo board waiting for the LED to blink. Dual core - one to turn the LED on, the other one to turn it off ;-þ

Edit: almost forgot about that, I've set up a git repo just for the show:
https://wunderkis.de/gitweb/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:06:54 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52506 on: March 16, 2020, 07:59:32 pm »
Ah I know that guy. I keep nearly buying missile launcher switches from him. Then I give myself a mental slap round the face and tell myself to be sensible  :-DD
LMAO  ;) do you ever listen to yourself though, is the question  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52507 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:30 pm »
Which scope will you use to troubleshoot this ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52508 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:29 pm »

Already done that some time ago ...
https://wunderkis.de/nucleof767/index.html

Now there's a fresh STM32H475 nucleo board waiting for the LED to blink. Dual core - one to turn the LED on, the other one to turn it off ;-þ

Edit: almost forgot about that, I've set up a git repo just for the show:
https://wunderkis.de/gitweb/

Interesting. I'm going to avoid looking at it though and working it out myself the hard way. STM32L412 Nucleo-32 board here I had lying around so fingers crossed.

LMAO  ;) do you ever listen to yourself though, is the question  :-DD

I'd go insane very quickly if I listened to myself  >:D

I'll give you a guess  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52509 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:33 pm »
Always use the new shiny one of course, it's a new toy after all  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52510 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:04 pm »
Amazon just lately is pissing me off big time. What is the point in them stating same day or one day delivery on their "prime" items when they don't intend to keep to that? They get the order because they tell you its in stock etc, only to be told once the order has been placed the item will be 2 day delivery  :wtf: Ordered some bottle brushes Saturday, their site said in stock and next day. Today discovered that they are coming from Spain and had only left Madrid today,  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52511 on: March 16, 2020, 08:18:14 pm »
This should keep me off the streets & out of trouble for a day or three. With the authorities closing events and shops left & right due to the global COVID charlie-foxtrot, the wife is ALREADY ready to break my foot off in my own ass... All 3 of her children have been driving her batty for a week now.  :palm:

Help me out here because I haven't been keeping count. You have two children, your wife has three. Right?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52512 on: March 16, 2020, 08:19:24 pm »
Amazon just lately is pissing me off big time. What is the point in them stating same day or one day delivery on their "prime" items when they don't intend to keep to that? They get the order because they tell you its in stock etc, only to be told once the order has been placed the item will be 2 day delivery  :wtf: Ordered some bottle brushes Saturday, their site said in stock and next day. Today discovered that they are coming from Spain and had only left Madrid today,  :palm:

Ah that's because

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52513 on: March 16, 2020, 08:19:53 pm »
We concluded that the .45 user probably wasn't trying hard enough.

Smithers, have them sent to the HR dungeon and whipped!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52514 on: March 16, 2020, 08:24:55 pm »
Arrrrgh it's all Eclipse. Where's that spoon so I can gouge my own eyes out  :scared:

Edit: ok not too painful. I used STM32CubeMX to generate the project template because I'm a lazy fucker and it's running with debugger attached!

Now to make it do something...

Edit: 25 minutes later ... Victory. Some annoying discrepancies between pin naming on the datasheet as it's tarduino compatible so actually you need to connect it to A2 if you set GPIO_PIN_3.

Code: [Select]
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_3, GPIO_PIN_SET);
HAL_Delay(100);
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_3, GPIO_PIN_RESET);
HAL_Delay(100);

Siglent for tautech  :-DD

Next step ... RTOS!

Edit: RTOS done after another 20 minutes. This is too easy. STM32, select middleware FreeRTOS. Add two tasks using wizard (wizards FTW), generate code, fill in the gubbins using the osDelay so the scheduler can preempt things and sorted  :-+

Code: [Select]
void StartBlinkLED(void *argument) {
  for(;;) {
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(LD3_GPIO_Port, LD3_Pin, GPIO_PIN_SET);
osDelay(500);
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(LD3_GPIO_Port, LD3_Pin, GPIO_PIN_RESET);
osDelay(500);
  }
}

void StartBlinkScope(void *argument) {
  for(;;) {
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_3, GPIO_PIN_SET);
osDelay(28);
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_3, GPIO_PIN_RESET);
osDelay(50);
  }
}

Trivial stuff sorted. Not scared of STM32 now. Will look at queues and interrupt handling etc another day.

Thanks mnem for the motivation on this one a few months back  :-DD

And that concludes my spam tonight. Now off to ebay to look for toys  :-+
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:10:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mr. Scram, Mortymore

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #52515 on: March 16, 2020, 08:49:32 pm »
Yep, to me a fluke with a edge operated range switch isn't a proper fluke.

The 8060A fanboys probably just put our names on some kind of list...

My first impression of a Fluke was one with the edge switches. It still is on my bucket list. Would complement the 10 and the 123 nicely.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52516 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »

None of the ones currently in his possession :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52517 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:18 pm »

They offered me Prime for something that wasn't yet in existence;  5 months lead time (AoE x-Chapters, of course)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52518 on: March 16, 2020, 09:29:55 pm »
I haven’t paid for prime for about 6 months. I look forward to their screw ups  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #52519 on: March 16, 2020, 09:30:30 pm »

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" -- the motto of every HR dept.

My boss, who is actually sensible at times, suggested that the .45 user was "...a rather petite lady at a most insignificant branch office, who also lost both legs in the recent virus outbreak. Don't joke about her, please." Him being the boss, his suggestion was downvoted, of course.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52520 on: March 16, 2020, 09:56:04 pm »

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" -- the motto of every HR dept.

My boss, who is actually sensible at times, suggested that the .45 user was "...a rather petite lady at a most insignificant branch office, who also lost both legs in the recent virus outbreak. Don't joke about her, please." Him being the boss, his suggestion was downvoted, of course.

... A maiden aunt, whose hobbies include macramé, arc welding and discussing Nietzsche with her 7 cats.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52521 on: March 16, 2020, 10:04:47 pm »
Well this Covid-19 bastard has certainly left ebay a desert of nothing interesting  :--

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52522 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:40 pm »
Well this Covid-19 bastard has certainly left ebay a desert of nothing interesting  :--

Look on the bright side - saving up for the recovery, making space in the lab for new things, finishing old projects - this is all good!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52523 on: March 16, 2020, 10:35:34 pm »

Look on the bright side - saving up for the recovery, making space in the lab for new things, finishing old projects - this is all good!

True. I fear it'll actually increase the stuff on ebay afterwards due to all the SK sales  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52524 on: March 16, 2020, 10:35:59 pm »

I just bought this.  :palm: :palm: |O

I need a drink.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

And I said I would never go 6.5 digits. Somebody shoot me
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, grizewald, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf