Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16856175 times)

Vince, factory, wkb and 91 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49825 on: February 15, 2020, 09:13:14 pm »
I guess I should really look into this "dischord" thing, I assume there is an application you need to install like teamspeak or ventrillo?

maybe next week
The invitation link is on P1 of this thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49826 on: February 15, 2020, 09:14:06 pm »
I guess I should really look into this "dischord" thing, I assume there is an application you need to install like teamspeak or ventrillo?

maybe next week

Click the link and find out we don't bite MUCH  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49827 on: February 15, 2020, 09:15:08 pm »

maybe next week

No need to install anything. It'll run in the browser. Text and/or voice.

We had 10 people on TEA Time today. 1.5 hrs in and there are still 9 standing. :blah:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:33:35 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49828 on: February 15, 2020, 10:49:03 pm »
Yup... I made it thanks to a friendly reminder from tautech that stopped me on my way from the front door directly to Amazon.  :-+

I guess I should really look into this "dischord" thing, I assume there is an application you need to install like teamspeak or ventrillo?   maybe next week

Click the link and find out we don't bite MUCH  :-DD

Speak for yourself, bean-molester! >:D

mnem
*fresh-molested coffee... yummmm*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49829 on: February 15, 2020, 10:50:14 pm »
Oh, yeah OK, maybe I'll try it next week. I tried the link and it is asking for login details, is this the same as we have for EEVblog or do we need to register an account on Discord first?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49830 on: February 15, 2020, 10:52:19 pm »
Oh, yeah OK, maybe I'll try it next week. I tried the link and it is asking for login details, is this the same as we have for EEVblog or do we need to register an account on Discord first?
Yeah you need to join up and best to use your EEVblog login name so we know who's you are.....unless you're shy.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49831 on: February 15, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »
Yup... I made it thanks to a friendly reminder from tautech that stopped me on my way from the front door directly to Amazon.  :-+
You're welcome.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49832 on: February 15, 2020, 10:54:05 pm »
Yeah you need to join up and best to use your EEVblog login name so we know who's you are.....unless you're shy.  :P
If none of your other haunts use Discord, yeah you'll need to create an account. Use your SPAM-catcher eMail to receive the confirmation eMail and you're in.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49833 on: February 16, 2020, 12:06:19 am »
There is also Coffee and more important Cookies  >:D https://discordapp.com/channels/658020677533827101/658020677533827104

Thanks for the lovely coffee.
But the cookies look suspiciously 3D printed just to prank us.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:12:41 am by Mortymore »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49834 on: February 16, 2020, 12:40:14 am »
Fairly safe on that front I don't have a dual extrusion printer. But seems how this is Oz who is to say the choc dots are not flies in the mix >:D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:44:03 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49835 on: February 16, 2020, 12:48:25 am »
Of course, alltho it would fun to come among everyone without disclosing my full identity  >:D but only a troll would do that....do we know anyone that fits that bill?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #49836 on: February 16, 2020, 03:34:49 am »
Apologies for missing the discord, here is a little eye candy for the TEAd.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49837 on: February 16, 2020, 03:41:47 am »
Apologies for missing the discord, here is a little eye candy for the TEAd.
Rob

Things must be bad you can't afford the Electrons to run the dotty displays for us?  ;)

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49838 on: February 16, 2020, 03:45:07 am »
that bottom 5381A needs moar retrobrite
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49839 on: February 16, 2020, 03:49:48 am »
It's a color gradient as you move down the stack. :-DD

That's quite a collection you've got going there, Rob. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #49840 on: February 16, 2020, 04:36:27 am »
The bottom miscoloured unit, I think it is not plastic discolouration but paper change behind a plastic cover.
Unfortunately at present they are in the garage where there is no power, in the next day or so, I will try to get them fired up. 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49841 on: February 16, 2020, 06:10:41 am »
*snip*
mnem
*off in search of a better HDMI switch*

If you find one let me know, mine regularly crashes   :-\

Yeah, mine was purchased because it was well-rated and an "Amazon's Choice" for only $15 Canadian; but it seems to have a cyclic glitch every 30-60 seconds. I was going to just hit the local Best Buy for a name-brand replacement, but they were nucking futs; having only one no-name Chinese import model in stock at $113. ::)

I've decided to do some testing to see if I can find the cause before I send this one back; I have until March to get a answer.

mnem

Wow, that's way worse than my problem. I just get no sound and/or picture sometimes when switching sources, or sometimes the sound drops out when  the screen blanks (ie on game loading screens).

EDIT: Wow that's some serious negative delta t, you should glue some Peltier modules to your ears and generate some electricity...
   >:D

Found the culprit. Was a HDMI cable with a borked pin. Weird; it actually caused a glitch on both devices connected, even tho it was only on the Roku. Straightened the borked pin with a dental pick and all is well; been watching HD content & playing Street Fighter IV with my son for hours.

This is the HDMI switch I have: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MSG1LXS/

It does both IR remote and auto switches to whatever input just became active. They only include a USB power cable, no power pack. My TV doesn’t provide enough current to run it through the HDMI, so I’m powering it with an old 1A white cube iPwn charger; they seem more reliable than most for continuous use. The remote takes a CR2032 even tho the instructions say CR2025.  :palm:

I’ll post followup in a few months; let y’all know if it all keeps working.  :-+

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49842 on: February 16, 2020, 10:48:51 am »
*snip*
mnem
*off in search of a better HDMI switch*

If you find one let me know, mine regularly crashes   :-\

Yeah, mine was purchased because it was well-rated and an "Amazon's Choice" for only $15 Canadian; but it seems to have a cyclic glitch every 30-60 seconds. I was going to just hit the local Best Buy for a name-brand replacement, but they were nucking futs; having only one no-name Chinese import model in stock at $113. ::)

I've decided to do some testing to see if I can find the cause before I send this one back; I have until March to get a answer.

mnem

Wow, that's way worse than my problem. I just get no sound and/or picture sometimes when switching sources, or sometimes the sound drops out when  the screen blanks (ie on game loading screens).

EDIT: Wow that's some serious negative delta t, you should glue some Peltier modules to your ears and generate some electricity...
   >:D

Found the culprit. Was a HDMI cable with a borked pin. Weird; it actually caused a glitch on both devices connected, even tho it was only on the Roku. Straightened the borked pin with a dental pick and all is well; been watching HD content & playing Street Fighter IV with my son for hours.

This is the HDMI switch I have: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MSG1LXS/

It does both IR remote and auto switches to whatever input just became active. They only include a USB power cable, no power pack. My TV doesn’t provide enough current to run it through the HDMI, so I’m powering it with an old 1A white cube iPwn charger; they seem more reliable than most for continuous use. The remote takes a CR2032 even tho the instructions say CR2025.  :palm:

I’ll post followup in a few months; let y’all know if it all keeps working.  :-+

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Nice! I always prefer to find something easy and mechanical to fix on such gizmos; board level repair on something like that is way past my gear and experience levels.
Pretty sure my problem is glitchy firmware, as turning it off and on again always fixes it...
They seem pretty identical in function and capability, I power mine off a Samsung phone charger, and I always try to cram a 2032 in place of a 2025 if I can, as I have a near infinite supply of cheap ones    ^-^
This is my wee beastie: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x1-4K-HDMI-V2-0-Switcher-Audio-Extractor-RCA-Converter-3-5MM-Jack-Optical-SPDIF/293040696886
Interesting how ebay will show purchases from the beginning of time on a mobile phone, but nothing older than a few months on my pc   :-\

Sorry for any confusion on Discord yesterday regarding my nickname. I pay play (wow, interesting Freudian slip) an MMORPG called PWI (officially Perfect World International, but I prefer Picking Wallets Insultingly) and have used pretty much every chat client available in the various guilds I've been in.
I didn't even remember I'd already made a discord account...  :-//
Since the guild I'm in now uses Teamspeak, I'll try to remember to change my Discord nickname from Spara (Sparafucile is my ign) to ThickPhilM for next time!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49843 on: February 16, 2020, 10:53:08 am »
At least someone was keeping the Pommie end up today

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49844 on: February 16, 2020, 11:03:03 am »
At least someone was keeping the Pommie end up today (Attachment Link)
:-DD Yep only one limey and he was green:o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49845 on: February 16, 2020, 12:21:48 pm »
Nope, this limey was there but you'd all ffing finished  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49846 on: February 16, 2020, 12:37:31 pm »
Nope, this limey was there but you'd all ffing finished  :-DD
Is your Rolex broken ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49847 on: February 16, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »
I like a Moscow Mule   :popcorn:

(vodka, lime juice, ginger ale)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49848 on: February 16, 2020, 01:00:37 pm »
Found a new usage for my reflowR (normally used to reflow pcb). Make a nice and stable hotplate  ;D

I'm using it to heat up mineral oil to precisely 60 deg. Trying to measure the Seebeck effect between a copper wire and a brass tinned binding post, not working so good right now  :-\

Improved setup. Got a clean hot and (almost) cold junctions now. Heat transfer from the plate to the base of the binding post is not great though. I need another thermistor  :-\

In any case, it's working a lot better now. With the hotplate at 70Deg, around 20uV are generated. That's around 1.7uV/DegC. which is ballpark the value I was expecting.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #49849 on: February 16, 2020, 01:13:26 pm »
I like a Moscow Mule   :popcorn:

(vodka, lime juice, ginger ale)

Did you mean ginger beer instead of ginger ale?  Very different and should be ginger beer.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf