Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17746434 times)

xrunner and 83 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48676 on: February 02, 2020, 10:02:55 pm »

Coleman's mustard.  Few other brands seem to have the right level of aggression!

I prefer Bournier. In my opinion the best Dijon. When I'm making a local variant on the Reuben James, though, I prefer French's yellow, or a very good clone that is a lot easier to get in Sweden. It's known by the name "S-sandwich" because it only allows ingredients starting with "S" in Swedish; sourdough bread, butter ("smör"), salt boiled beef, sauerkraut, mustard ("senap"), and chopped celery ("selleri"). Insanely tasty.  Now I'm hungry, and I lack all the ingredients.  |O

English mustard is very different to French (incl. Dijon).  Until you've tried making fresh Colman's mustard from the powder (in the yellow tin) your nose hasn't really lived!  :-)

The 6*S sandwich sounds delicious.  Is that served open face like other Scandinavian sandwiches?

I was in Stockholm last year, stayed in Skärgården a few days.  At a supermarket, I purchased an open faced sandwich consisting of eggs, prawns, and salad...   sadly, I found they had put it on something that looked like a brioche bread.  WTF???   I had to transplant the sandwich "filling" onto a piece of traditional dark sourdough bread, and then it was delicious!  :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48677 on: February 02, 2020, 10:03:19 pm »

Well I just spent 2 fucking hours debugging an RF amplifier to find out the LED I was using as a zener had an 0.8V voltage drop. It's supposed to be 2V. Fucks sake. Those were decent LEDs as well from RS. In the process of debugging I managed to blow up the NanoVNA as well

Just about had enough of shit today  :--

Oopsie.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48678 on: February 02, 2020, 10:09:36 pm »
Damn I had pulse special boxed edition CDs (with flashing LED) and some fucker snatched my bag at the time. I was more pissed about that than the laptop (which was a shit Compaq that was sooo heavy)

I have that CD too.  :-+

Edit, here it is. The batteries died years ago and I suppose I could get in there and change them.

That's the one.

Well I just spent 2 fucking hours debugging an RF amplifier to find out the LED I was using as a zener had an 0.8V voltage drop. It's supposed to be 2V. Fucks sake. Those were decent LEDs as well from RS. In the process of debugging I managed to blow up the NanoVNA as well

What, How the fuck did you manage that?

Edit: I have that CD set as well, but not as the album, download from the Apple Store on iTunes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:18:25 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #48679 on: February 02, 2020, 10:17:20 pm »

Oopsie.  |O
Yep, another penis fingers episode implies the RF amp was working just fine.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48680 on: February 02, 2020, 10:23:58 pm »
Maybe you should stick to scopes, buying, restoring and flipping them on again?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #48681 on: February 02, 2020, 10:24:29 pm »
:palm:

That seller should be closed in a wood box and ship it over the ocean to madagascar without any water.

Now sad news from my side, an old 2014 kickstarter 3d printer popped out from my basement:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1784037324/bi-v20-a-self-replicating-high-precision-3d-printe

sell it and get a new one? Or better to follow the rabbit hole trying to get it up and running?

I am sad because I feel like it is a cheap, low quality big 3d printer. WASTED.

My spider senses are telling me to not touch this thing and let it go on Ebay.

Yes, I am so stupid I bought it in 2014 and left in the basement until now.

Tomorrow somebody is coming to my home with cash to pick it up....

Next step:

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-5-pro-3d-printer

Where I should buy my new Ender 5 pro, aliexpress?

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #48682 on: February 02, 2020, 10:25:20 pm »

English mustard is very different to French (incl. Dijon).  Until you've tried making fresh Colman's mustard from the powder (in the yellow tin) your nose hasn't really lived!  :-)

The 6*S sandwich sounds delicious.  Is that served open face like other Scandinavian sandwiches?
Yes, I've had the Coleman experience. I still think Dijon holds a taste edge to it, if not in strength.

The S-only is a "real sandwich", that is, made to be eaten by hand.  The concept idea was for a lunch box style serving rather than a plated serving, and then two slices of bread are more or less required.

I was in Stockholm last year, stayed in Skärgården a few days.  At a supermarket, I purchased an open faced sandwich consisting of eggs, prawns, and salad...   sadly, I found they had put it on something that looked like a brioche bread.  WTF???   I had to transplant the sandwich "filling" onto a piece of traditional dark sourdough bread, and then it was delicious!  :D

Heh, I understand completely. The brioche thing is neither to my taste. IMNSHO the Danes make the best open face sandwiches in the world (and frequently on dark sourdough rye bread). We usually try to take the children to Copenhagen once a year because the Tivoli amusement park is the one true park. Not the least because they've got world-class open face sandwiches in their micro brewery...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48683 on: February 02, 2020, 10:30:00 pm »
@Zucca Ender FTW!

Ok looks like I didn't blow up the NanoVNA. The SMA connector I was using had a Chinesium fracture. I ran the cal cycle on the NanoVNA and it was fine. Phew!

Well the RF amp is well and truly buggered. It's only a small signal front end amplifier but the damn thing doesn't work. It worked perfectly in LTspice and on the NanoVNA for about 2 mintues. One min it's pulling 20mA, next minute 8mA and the thing is toast. I have replaced every part and it's still damn pulling 8mA. I built the entire amp again with new parts and it's pulling 8mA fine but only 3dB of gain not 15dB. Can't figure it out. I tried tuning it with a receiver to see if it's oscillating - nothing. Probing it with scope / finger - nothing.  >:(

It actually forward biases an LED successfully by 0.8V by the looks which is a big WTF. Unless it's oscillating at 400MHz+ or something which a PN2222A shouldn't be able to do.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #48684 on: February 02, 2020, 10:44:10 pm »
Insanely tasty.  Now I'm hungry, and I lack all the ingredients.  |O

I did not. Not exactly to spec; the bread shall be more SF style sourdough than sourdough Finnish rye, and the meat is home broiled steak rather than boiled salt beef, but I had some sad celery, mustard, of course, and sauerkraut. But it all starts with "S".

920950-0

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48685 on: February 02, 2020, 10:54:19 pm »
So plan this week is beef, tomato and lettuce sandwiches tomorrow for lunch. I'll do myself a nice stir fried beef thing on Tuesday. Then beef masala on Wednesday in the slow cooker.
I reccomend roast beef, mustard, and spring onion sandwiches. Use butter. Gives a nice sharp bite to it!

Coleman's mustard.  Few other brands seem to have the right level of aggression!

Have you heathens never heard of horseradish!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48686 on: February 02, 2020, 11:06:56 pm »
So plan this week is beef, tomato and lettuce sandwiches tomorrow for lunch. I'll do myself a nice stir fried beef thing on Tuesday. Then beef masala on Wednesday in the slow cooker.
I reccomend roast beef, mustard, and spring onion sandwiches. Use butter. Gives a nice sharp bite to it!

Horseradish has the advantage you can make it yourself, without having to buy it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48687 on: February 02, 2020, 11:08:14 pm »
Can’t eat the stuff. Makes me want to carve my bile ducts out with a knife  :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48688 on: February 02, 2020, 11:21:20 pm »

Absolutely!  I like a bit of both...  :D

Can't think of a good brand of horseradish, off hand.  Perhaps best to buy raw and grate...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48689 on: February 02, 2020, 11:26:14 pm »

Next step:

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-5-pro-3d-printer

In Oz we have a Creality drop ship account on evilbay. It is backed up with a human in China with direct contact with the Engineering team if needed. It worked out cheaper for me to buy from them for my two Ender3's after we started getting Taxed on ALL imports similar to your VAT. Before that it would have been fractionally cheaper to have brought on Ailexpress/Gearbest etc. I brought the CR-10S from their Aliexpress store BTW which at the time was $20-30 more than the cheapest but worth it for the backup IMO.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48690 on: February 03, 2020, 12:00:25 am »
You Europeans and your fancy sandwiches.  ;D

Mine: Virginia Baked Ham with imported Swiss on a hard roll with lettuce and mayo. Simple and delicious.  :-+ Haven't had one for a long time due to the diabetes (the bread is a no-no).  :--

Edit....like horse radish too.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #48691 on: February 03, 2020, 12:08:11 am »
You guys are making me hungry! :popcorn:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #48692 on: February 03, 2020, 12:13:15 am »
Ok looks like I didn't blow up the NanoVNA. The SMA connector I was using had a Chinesium fracture. I ran the cal cycle on the NanoVNA and it was fine. Phew!

Good. I bricked one yesterday real gud with a new firmware but it's better now.  :-DD

Back to the Superbowl ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #48693 on: February 03, 2020, 03:04:59 am »
There's also a band here in the States that does Floyd too and I've been told they are pretty good.

But in my mind nothing beats the real Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason.  :-+

The group is Brit Floyd and they are quite good.  My best friend has seen them in concert several times.  He has sent me a couple of audio recordings and a video recording off of his phone and even like that, they sound like the original.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48694 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:00 am »
Damn I had pulse special boxed edition CDs (with flashing LED) and some fucker snatched my bag at the time. I was more pissed about that than the laptop (which was a shit Compaq that was sooo heavy)

I have that CD too.  :-+

Edit, here it is. The batteries died years ago and I suppose I could get in there and change them.

That's the one.

:palm:

As I have just returned from the storage room, where I surveyed the pile of gear that I either can't get working or damaged in the process of fixing, I can feel your pain. 
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48695 on: February 03, 2020, 03:24:00 am »
@Zucca Ender FTW!

Well the RF amp is well and truly buggered. It's only a small signal front end amplifier but the damn thing doesn't work. It worked perfectly in LTspice and on the NanoVNA for about 2 mintues. One min it's pulling 20mA, next minute 8mA and the thing is toast. I have replaced every part and it's still damn pulling 8mA. I built the entire amp again with new parts and it's pulling 8mA fine but only 3dB of gain not 15dB. Can't figure it out. I tried tuning it with a receiver to see if it's oscillating - nothing. Probing it with scope / finger - nothing.  >:(

It actually forward biases an LED successfully by 0.8V by the looks which is a big WTF. Unless it's oscillating at 400MHz+ or something which a PN2222A shouldn't be able to do.

Are you sure it's a PN2222A?  Just sayin'

* worsthorse wanders out of range.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48696 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:58 am »
yo worst

how's that scope??
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48697 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:40 am »
yo worst

how's that scope??

It is on a table next to the bench. It is in excellent mechanical condition. I powered it up long enough to figure out that channels 2,3, and 4 work; no trace on channel 1; POST fails on ATTN/ACQ board. Peeled a sticker off the back panel and discovered that it has both the deep memory and FFT option installed, along with the RS232/Centronics board. Powered it back down and it will stay that way until I can open it up, pull the boards and do the recap work.

I don't know a lot about this scope so I spent the last two days in the rabbit hole gathering manuals, schematics, mods, software, and forum threads, along with watching a couple of long dis-assembly videos by a guy whose OCD is worse than mine.   ;D

I will probably set aside the TM500 plugin repair marathon (I finished another one tonight) to work on it but I will have a look at the acquisition and processor boards before I decide.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48698 on: February 03, 2020, 05:12:30 am »
...Next step: https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-5-pro-3d-printer

FUKKIN'. A. DIDDY!!!    >:D

mnem
About fukkin' time, too!    ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48699 on: February 03, 2020, 07:11:30 am »
I'm all in favour of a weak pound.

SEK-GBP exchange rate

Erm, that shows GBP currently getting stronger versus SEK.

Indeed, and that's why I'm in favour of a weaker pound.
  Lord of Sealand

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf