Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17415163 times)

ch_scr and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46200 on: January 02, 2020, 02:05:24 am »
A few small and mainly contained fires 30km away from here but the smell of burnt Aussie Forrest is in the air. Very mild day and little wind so the crews should get it sorted.  :-+

New Toy unboxing too  8)

Nice one.  :-+  In 2016 I've bought the same drill press, too. :)
Never regretted it to buy one.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg940871/#msg940871
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46201 on: January 02, 2020, 02:13:52 am »
A few small and mainly contained fires 30km away from here but the smell of burnt Aussie Forrest is in the air. Very mild day and little wind so the crews should get it sorted.  :-+

New Toy unboxing too  8)

Nice one.  :-+  In 2016 I've bought the same drill press, too. :)
Never regretted it to buy one.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg940871/#msg940871

It would have been easier to decide if most of the youtube videos weren't German spoken  ;) . Auto translation is just so wrong. I got rid of a heavier duty drill several years ago as it was fairly rough from many years of salt air. This one is light enough to go on a top shelf or under the bench when not needed. A few changes that will make sense is making a replacement for the wheel and I want to build a more flexible base for it for drilling holes in larger panels.

edit - quick test 20mm forstner bit at 600 RPM and pilot holes at 2000 RPM - EASY  :-+ Electronic depth measurement seems accurate. I may read the manual but my inner cave man says nope  ;D

Also made a model for cutting a 1mm champher into the top of the 20mm holes for my dog bench. Takes a little 4 sided Tungsten insert and 3DP for the body. As a leftie I will make myself a 'proper one' but this one is for the less creative Right Handed among you  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:50:37 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46202 on: January 02, 2020, 02:54:28 am »
HaPpy new year!

Happy New (and old) TEA Year, everyone!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46203 on: January 02, 2020, 02:55:58 am »
If you're talking about this glass bed, it looks to me like it yields a pretty glossy finish on the end-product. If you're talking about the silicon-carbon build plate (a composite plate of carbon fiber and thin glass bonded to a traditional aluminum build plate) I can't say; I haven't actually had one in hand. :-//

Got this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-Surface-3D-235x235x4mm-Platform/dp/B07VNQQRVR/

There's some kind of mesh on top of the glass. On PLA, the bottom surface end up smooth, but not perfectly smooth.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:03:03 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46204 on: January 02, 2020, 03:04:23 am »
HaPpy new year!

Happy New (and old) TEA Year, everyone!

Happy new Year to you too  ^-^

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46205 on: January 02, 2020, 03:09:33 am »
@f-bean - lovely drill press - had my eye on one for a while but can't justify as my current bench drill press works fine despite being a 'cheapie'.
It's the one non-electronic tool that gets left out on the 'mechanical' bench - along with the 5" engineer's vice bolted to the other end.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46206 on: January 02, 2020, 03:32:50 am »
I hope they do for your safety's sake but just 20 miles away is a little to close for my liking !  :scared:

Got any water restrictions Bean, ?
Maybe it's time to start wetting the place down starting with the flower gardens and any long grass.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46207 on: January 02, 2020, 03:35:50 am »
If you're talking about this glass bed, it looks to me like it yields a pretty glossy finish on the end-product. If you're talking about the silicon-carbon build plate (a composite plate of carbon fiber and thin glass bonded to a traditional aluminum build plate) I can't say; I haven't actually had one in hand. :-//

Got this one

There's some kind of mesh on top of the glass. On PLA, the bottom surface end up smooth, but not perfectly smooth.

Just flip it over and detergent clean and IPA wipe works great for a mirror smooth bum shouldn't need any glue for a lot of prints (** some will) ;) The slightly rippled finish on the top side is for better stick and easy release and the slight pattern generally isn't an issue for most of what I do.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46208 on: January 02, 2020, 03:40:43 am »
I hope they do for your safety's sake but just 20 miles away is a little to close for my liking !  :scared:

Maybe it's time to start wetting the place down starting with the flower gardens and any long grass.

Last time there was a serious problem around here was the Ash Wednesday fires https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday_bushfires I was living in Gippsland at the time and the town was surrounded on three sides by Ember attacks from the main blaze. Around this part of the state it is largely flat open grassland so it takes Hot & Windy to make it a real issue. We are still two months from peak dry and still some green on the paddocks.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46209 on: January 02, 2020, 03:41:58 am »

Got this one

Just flip it over and detergent clean and IPA wipe works great for a mirror smooth bum shouldn't need any glue for a lot of prints (** some will) ;) The slightly rippled finish on the top side is for better stick and easy release and the slight pattern generally isn't an issue for most of what I do.

flip it over, right. Man I feel dumb  :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46210 on: January 02, 2020, 03:51:16 am »

Last time there was a serious problem around here was the Ash Wednesday fires https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday_bushfires I was living in Gippsland at the time and the town was surrounded on three sides by Ember attacks from the main blaze. Around this part of the state it is largely flat open grassland so it takes Hot & Windy to make it a real issue. We are still two months from peak dry and still some green on the paddocks.
Yeah know about that one and wasn't there only one house left standing in the suburb ?
A Kiwi I believe that had cut all the trees on his section down to protect himself and castle from just such an event.
Your Shires over there prosecuted the arse off him but in the end he had the last laugh as his actions were proven to have saved his house.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46211 on: January 02, 2020, 03:54:31 am »

Got this one

What about the underside? If you don't like the finish the top gives you, maybe try the bottom. "Super Hold" hairspray as an adhesion aid if necessary. Use a light mist evenly applied; just enough to make the surface look foggy.  :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46212 on: January 02, 2020, 03:59:21 am »
The loss of life back then was a wake up but a lot of the idiots (and some new ones) went and rebuilt in the same manner back in the same valley's and same old growth timber  :palm: Some random houses were spared in spite of nearby trees while others more open burned so don't believe all the BS about clear felling to save property the building design and just dumb luck plays a larger part.

Even when ready to move the ambient heat and the wind effectively turns the eucalyptus oils into napalm so the fire front and embers made it advance at 100+km/hr in those conditions and some of the big grass fires out here were as bad or worse and caught some out.  :'(

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46213 on: January 02, 2020, 04:00:12 am »
Added the Tektronix 535A restoration series (thus far), Schlumberger 7081 precision voltmeter, and ESI Dekapot DP311 to the POI.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46214 on: January 02, 2020, 04:08:23 am »
The loss of life back then was a wake up but a lot of the idiots (and some new ones) went and rebuilt in the same manner back in the same valley's and same old growth timber  :palm: Some random houses were spared in spite of nearby trees while others more open burned so don't believe all the BS about clear felling to save property the building design and just dumb luck plays a larger part.
Yeah well if history repeats itself which is very likely in Oz  :scared: and that house remains unburned again you'd hope officialdom might take note but as they are now infiltrated with young generation know it alls that might not be the case.  :horse:

Even when ready to move the ambient heat and the wind effectively turns the eucalyptus oils into napalm so the fire front and embers made it advance at 100+km/hr in those conditions and some of the big grass fires out here were as bad or worse and caught some out.  :'(
That's the scary bit when fires get so big they make their own weather and unless you Ozzies get a fleet of 747 fire dusters the future looks grim.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46215 on: January 02, 2020, 04:51:43 am »
What about the underside? If you don't like the finish the top gives you, maybe try the bottom. "Super Hold" hairspray as an adhesion aid if necessary. Use a light mist evenly applied; just enough to make the surface look foggy.  :-+

Yep will try that, thanks!

for some reason I did not think of trying the other side of the bed.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46216 on: January 02, 2020, 05:41:18 am »
Ouch :o  :scared: eBay auction: #283648919039 NSF SHMBO .....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46217 on: January 02, 2020, 06:01:13 am »
Ouch - my eyes are watering just looking at that auction!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46218 on: January 02, 2020, 09:04:36 am »
Reminds me of the dude who used to fix my Land Rover. Couldn’t write so he got his secretary to do it. She had no idea about cars so ended up with some rather interesting things on the invoice.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46219 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:30 am »

Even so, I'd be inclined to build in some serious fire breaks and double check the water / hose position if I was you. Better to be safe than sorry.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46220 on: January 02, 2020, 09:44:04 am »
the different from a SN7441 to a SN74141 seems to be in the outputs from BCD : A-F
means in units what output only 0-9 it`s legal to use a 74141 as replacement for the 7441

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46221 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:36 am »
I am in Suburbia of sorts on a 1/2 acre block. All the Green between the now controlled fires in the Bush and Blue Gum plantations are a long way away in mild conditions that green belt of grass is a big buffer. Even the nearby towns had the lowest level of warnings and no properties have come under serious threat from them.

It is not that the care level is ever low just they are a fact of life like our death spiders and drop bears  >:D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46222 on: January 02, 2020, 10:18:44 am »

Got this one

I have the same one, but I added a 3M magnetic sheet to the underside so that I don't need those ugly clips sticking out all over the place.
The upper surface has some sort of micro-dotson the surface to help the models stick, so the under side of the model isn't all that smooth. It can be very difficult to remove models that have a large base, so for those I go back to using the flexible pad, because you can peel the pad from the model.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46223 on: January 02, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
Fluke 8300A Multimeter.

Problem: common displaying of "6" and "7" (all Nixies)
The Instrument is a multiplexer, so it use only one 7441.

1.) I buyed a 7141 and replaced the 7441.
result: no change.
2.) removed 7441, empty socket, Testing OHM between pin 9+10 (outputs "6" + "7".
result: 10,04 Ohms , this sucks
3.) please do not copy this action, it is no engineering! I will connect the socket pins 9+10 to a programmable power supply and insert there 12V maxcurrent of 1A

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46224 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:47 am »

Got this one

I have the same one, but I added a 3M magnetic sheet to the underside so that I don't need those ugly clips sticking out all over the place.
The upper surface has some sort of micro-dotson the surface to help the models stick, so the under side of the model isn't all that smooth. It can be very difficult to remove models that have a large base, so for those I go back to using the flexible pad, because you can peel the pad from the model.

McBryce.

That's the bed I'm using, with ugly clips. The surface is not completely smooth but that does not bother me. If you need it smooth, add 0.2mm and sand it off :)

Currently using the bed now. Guess the space ship. Winner gets bugger all :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf