Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732603 times)

Vince, flash2b, doktor pyta and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46125 on: December 31, 2019, 03:43:27 am »
My first 3dp part design. I'm working on the Lecroy DDA-260 and I'm replacing the old LCD backlight with LED.

The new LED driver is smaller and doesn't have any mounting holes.

So I created a bracket around the same size of the original backlight driver. The new backlight driver snap on it and I have some place left to also fix the pot I’m using to adjust intensity.

How it look installed in the scope.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:55:26 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, xrunner, mnementh, beanflying

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #46126 on: December 31, 2019, 04:04:34 am »

oh heeeelppppp me!  i have fallen down the linux rabbit hole and the exit is very way far above my head.   :palm:

there is nothing like working on some system that almost works or better yet, randomly fails in minor but noticeable ways, but only intermittently and always accompanied by cryptic log messages to insure one will be up late, drinking coffee, and muttering muttering muttering, while being absolutely sure that success is merely a command line of typing or two away...

this message coming to you from the minix stick computer that has been linux'd and is destined to become a linbpq node on two meters somewhere in the wilds of southeast portland oregon. 

* worsthorse looks around and thinks, what was i thinking?

You know you can unlock your DG831 with windoze just fine ? You can have your linux nirvana later if you want  ^-^

oh, i know. i just have the attention span of a four year old, so i am wandering from one shiny object to another these days... 

i am going to work on the 831 tomorrow. my first pass at it was unsuccessful. the usb interface fails after making the initial connection and the wifi dongle i had handy doesn't, of course, work so i had to wait for an ethernet to usb adapter to arrive from amazon.   and the 184? well i am still scratching my head over that one and haven't made a lick of progress in the last three rounds of working on it.
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #46127 on: December 31, 2019, 04:05:44 am »
My first 3dp part design. I'm working on the Lecroy DDA-260 and I'm replacing the old LCD backlight with LED.

So I created a bracket around the same size of the original backlight driver. The new backlight driver snap on it and I have some place left to also fix the pot I’m using to adjust intensity.

nicely done!  :-+
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46128 on: December 31, 2019, 04:14:15 am »
   As guessed, the main SMPS transistor was shorted out. Replaced BU508A with something similar at had at hand, now it's up and running again (no matter, I did replace the other ones SMPS transistor the same way some time ago and it worked out fine).

That's a nice one.  ;D  :-+   I thought, the BU508A were manly used as the switching transistor in HV PSUs of TV sets. I never saw one used in a mains PSU. Thanks for that.  :)

They are commonly used as an HOT in TVs of a certain vintage, it's true; however that circuit also usually is a SMPS that powers the whole TV, so plenty of current capacity. The BU508A doesn't have a damper diode to complicate things so as far as the SMPS is concerned, if the BU508A can handle the current needs its 1.5KV rating is just slight overkill is all. :-DD

mnem
slight, I say...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:17:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46129 on: December 31, 2019, 04:47:16 am »
From the "Play it Again, Sam... errr, Pat" Dept...

Wow, I got quite behind on posts again.

So, we've got hot burning balls, warm Nixie tubes, cold SWMBO scopes, and a slippery Rigol DSA that got away. And the week's not over, yet. :-DD

<cue organ music> Can mnem still father children despite his singed scrotum?  Will bd succumb to long dormant polychlorinated biphenyl poisoning from his grandfathers toxic basement?  Will med6753 get past his ADHD and learn to focus? Does Mr. Scram now glow in the dark after dismantling a broken smoke detector? Will his offspring have three hands? How much weight will neo's new bench hold?  Will Pat manage any progress on his repair queue before the floors collapse?  Can bitseeker ever hope to catch up?  What will Brown Santa bring this time?  And who's SWMBO will knock them off first, the better to mine the gold and gems hidden amongst their collected piles of gear in the estate sale?  <organ crescendos, with minor 7th chord for added dramatic tension>

<noodling on organ> Join us tomorrow for these answers and more, on the next exciting episode of "As The Filament Burns" <Major chord crescendo, followed by fading to silence>  <cut to Ebay commercial>

-Pat

I tripped over this post while looking for a pic on the forum... It made me LOL again IRL almost as much as the first time.  :-DD

Thanks, Pat. I needed the laugh.  :-+

mnem
*props*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46130 on: December 31, 2019, 06:04:25 am »
From the "Play it Again, Sam... errr, Pat" Dept...

Wow, I got quite behind on posts again.

So, we've got hot burning balls, warm Nixie tubes, cold SWMBO scopes, and a slippery Rigol DSA that got away. And the week's not over, yet. :-DD

<cue organ music> Can mnem still father children despite his singed scrotum?  Will bd succumb to long dormant polychlorinated biphenyl poisoning from his grandfathers toxic basement?  Will med6753 get past his ADHD and learn to focus? Does Mr. Scram now glow in the dark after dismantling a broken smoke detector? Will his offspring have three hands? How much weight will neo's new bench hold?  Will Pat manage any progress on his repair queue before the floors collapse?  Can bitseeker ever hope to catch up?  What will Brown Santa bring this time?  And who's SWMBO will knock them off first, the better to mine the gold and gems hidden amongst their collected piles of gear in the estate sale?  <organ crescendos, with minor 7th chord for added dramatic tension>

<noodling on organ> Join us tomorrow for these answers and more, on the next exciting episode of "As The Filament Burns" <Major chord crescendo, followed by fading to silence>  <cut to Ebay commercial>

-Pat

I tripped over this post while looking for a pic on the forum... It made me LOL again IRL almost as much as the first time.  :-DD

Thanks, Pat. I needed the laugh.  :-+

mnem
*props*

Wow, that's a blast from the past!!  I've been busy with an end-of-year clean up and organization, and can /almost/ see my bench again.  That will then let me work on the 8566B's YTO Unlock error - it's been sitting there for a few months now between travel for work and simply general insanity.  "Official" manuals will supposedly be here on Friday, courtesy of the inlet of bad intent.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46131 on: December 31, 2019, 10:06:30 am »

[img]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?

Nice Practical application and it works without looking like a bodge  :-+ :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #46132 on: December 31, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
As guessed, the main SMPS transistor was shorted out. Replaced BU508A with something similar at had at hand, now it's up and running again (no matter, I did replace the other ones SMPS transistor the same way some time ago and it worked out fine).

That's a nice one.  ;D  :-+

I thought, the BU508A were manly used as the switching transistor in HV PSUs of TV sets. I never saw one used
in a mains PSU. Thanks for that.  :)

This particular one looked like it was replaced before, so the BU508A might not be the original part. I don't remember what type the transistor was that I've replaced in the other SMPS, but the replacement BUH517 (also some kind of TV horizontal transistor) worked fine there, so I used the last one left in my parts box here. At least the original transistor and the BUH517 had similar datasheet ratings as far as I remember.

If one ever happens to repair this kind of SMPS, remove the automatic voltage selection circuit (it's a potted module and an external MOV). The MOV was blown and the module looked seriously overheated on both scopes (and caused the fuse to blow).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:04:44 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46133 on: December 31, 2019, 11:32:40 am »

what is the programm to draw that?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46134 on: December 31, 2019, 12:18:16 pm »
Perhaps in Feb. 2020 there will be some (43 units) Philips PSU's hitting ebay.

I find the down-sizing of the Bundeswehr a fascinating source of quality Geräte. Please do indicate if and when it actually happens.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46135 on: December 31, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »
And from the completely different files......yes a little TEA related with the live broadcast RF gear involved.

With 6 hours till NZ midnight New Years eve we get a SMS message from our neighbour asking if we'd like to tag along in a chopper for the live coverage of Auckland's New Year fireworks.....HELL YEAH !

Jumped in the Squirrel @ 11.50 and back at base again @ 12.10. New Year @ 1200ft going round Auckland's Sky Tower !  :-DD
Then the next hour removing the gimbal mount remote camera and all the control and transmission stuff.
Just a couple of shitty pics from the iPhone:

And so HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:20:30 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #46136 on: December 31, 2019, 12:55:10 pm »

Great use of 3D printer technology! Any electronics hobbyist can make good use of a 3D printer, and they are in the $200 range for a Creality Ender Pro.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46137 on: December 31, 2019, 01:10:48 pm »
Perhaps in Feb. 2020 there will be some (43 units) Philips PSU's hitting ebay.

I find the down-sizing of the Bundeswehr a fascinating source of quality Geräte. Please do indicate if and when it actually happens.

If I'll spot them somewhere I'll inform you (and the TEA, of course :) ).
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46138 on: December 31, 2019, 02:35:55 pm »
what is the programm to draw that?

I'm using Fusion 360. At the beginning the software is intimidating but after watching couples of youtube videos I'm getting the hang of it  ^-^
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:45:00 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46139 on: December 31, 2019, 02:48:14 pm »
Yup... AutoDesk be all like... "Sooner or later, we WILL get you."  >:D   Same business model as M$, only it seems a LOT less flailing about. :-DD

mnem

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46140 on: December 31, 2019, 03:08:43 pm »
Yup... AutoDesk be all like... "Sooner or later, we WILL get you."  >:D   Same business model as M$, only it seems a LOT less flailing about. :-DD

mnem

Fusion 360 is really good software though. Even if they decided to charge something at some point, I would not mind.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46141 on: December 31, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »
Agreed... That's the difference; the "a LOT less flailing about..." part. ;) Instead of trying to be "everything to everyone" they're just making software that does what people WANT. DUH... what a novel business model.  :palm:

Oh, and mirroring all your hard work on their own & someone else's servers, with all the privacy & security questions inherent in that arrangement. Free is NOT exactly free, of course. :-//

mnem
"Shocked and amazed at the wonders of necroflesh? You're not alone. For a limited time only, you too can have this handsome epidermis for the eensy price of your soul... and a buttload of pain."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:24:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46142 on: December 31, 2019, 04:26:04 pm »
We're still working on getting to the evening dinner, and since BD139 was inspired, there are some before-action pics here.

The Duck:
899888-0

The Spuds:
899892-1

The Bottle:
899896-2

I'll let you know on the other side how it went.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46143 on: December 31, 2019, 05:08:27 pm »

mnem
*building the perfect beast*

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46144 on: December 31, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »
And from the completely different files......yes a little TEA related with the live broadcast RF gear involved.

With 6 hours till NZ midnight New Years eve we get a SMS message from our neighbour asking if we'd like to tag along in a chopper for the live coverage of Auckland's New Year fireworks.....HELL YEAH !

Jumped in the Squirrel @ 11.50 and back at base again @ 12.10. New Year @ 1200ft going round Auckland's Sky Tower !  :-DD
Then the next hour removing the gimbal mount remote camera and all the control and transmission stuff.

So your neighbour asked you to tag along in order to foist work on you?
Nevertheless, that is a nice squirrel.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #46145 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:47 pm »
that squirrel is what I desperately need for my commute home. It's just 300 miles and the fucking roads are clogged.
And Germans have become piss pot drivers. Incroyable ...

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46146 on: December 31, 2019, 08:40:46 pm »
Happy new year guys, all the best for 2020!
In the best Aussie slang - ie friendly insult.
May all your chooks turn to emus and kick your dunny down! 😂

@tau - that looked like great fun, what a gas.

Replaced an EMI filter in an HP 3326A - another Schaffner failure with release of the brown stuff, it's back and working now. While the 'stack' of HP gear was apart - in another unit HP 8903A - found a lurking Rifa - also now replaced.
Still working on the Yaesu ft101s.
Good TEA hunting
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tautech

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46147 on: December 31, 2019, 08:48:39 pm »
To finish 2019 on a good note, this is my latest acquisition. I was finally able to buy a cheap 8.5 digits multimeter !!!  8)

It actually power up and kind of works.

But failing ohms test, more fun for me  ^-^ The 7081 is actually quite repairable since everything is made of discrete parts and there is no unobtanium custom components.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:25:49 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, kj7e, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, salvagedcircuitry

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46148 on: December 31, 2019, 08:51:18 pm »
Quick shot of the inside

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, bitseeker, BU508A, kj7e, salvagedcircuitry

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46149 on: December 31, 2019, 08:55:45 pm »

So your neighbour asked you to tag along in order to foist work on you?
Small price to pay for that experience.  ;)

Actually, we were also aboard to act as spotters for other air traffic and we had 3 or 4 other light aircraft filming the same event a few hundred feet above us.

It was a beautiful evening to fly with excellent visibility, zero cloud and zero wind and just enough smoke from the Ozzie bush fires to turn the setting crescent new moon to bright orange.

Nevertheless, that is a nice squirrel.
In the hanger nearby there were 6 others ........ two Eurocopters, Jet Ranger, R44 and others equally nice I forget......eyes as big as saucers like a kid in a candy store.  :-DD

We were gunna do something different but as it's 40 years exactly since the wife and I met and as wifey had never been in a chopper before we jumped at the chance. 1.30am home wasn't too bad, even for us oldies.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf