Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16610181 times)

Carl_Smith and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45050 on: December 15, 2019, 01:03:02 pm »
Yeah, I've had some problem understanding Maple Syrup up here too.

I've MADE Maple Syrup from scratch with my grand-dad; done everything from drilling to tapping the trees to cooking and then reducing the syrup. What he made... what I consider "Real Maple Syrup"... is dark and thick and VERY aromatic and strongly-flavoured with a little smoky/nutty overtone. What I can buy here... what they're really proud of as "Traditional Maple Syrup" for $10+ a bottle... is almost clear and watery, and barely any flavor or sweetness at all. It's like they brought the sap to a boil, then mixed it with corn syrup and called it good. :palm:

I mean, the ingredients say "100% Pure Maple Syrup" but everything else about it feels like watered-down corn-syrup.

:wtf:

mnem
*nutty & smoky*

They produce and sell different kind. I also prefer the dark one.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45051 on: December 15, 2019, 01:51:22 pm »
Anybody looking for a HP 3456a ? someone is selling bundle of 3 units for 40$. Shipping is going to be expensive though since they weights a ton.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-System-Multimeter-3456A-6-1-2-digit-Digital-Voltmeter-3-UNITS/254453626522
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:52:58 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #45052 on: December 15, 2019, 02:41:37 pm »
I need a ac transformer for 3456A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45053 on: December 15, 2019, 03:08:23 pm »
As for Poutine... it kindof all looks like barf on french fries to me.  :o I'd really rather avoid the "error" part of trial and error therein...

Many foods look like barf; some taste like it. Widely popular foods are unlikely to fall into that category. Without "errors" where you find something less good, you will (a) not realise how good the other stuff is and (b) miss out on things that are surprisingly good. Serendipity is my favourite word and concept; I'm always searching for it, but the older I get the less I find it :( Even so, to misquote Arnold Palmer, the more I search for it the luckier I get.

Of course I know this; I cook. One of my favorite snacks is leftover crock-pot-roast veggies over rice; if that doesn't look like a plate of barf nothing does.  :-DD

I was more looking for... a baseline. A large chain eatery known to produce a passable or maybe even good example of poutine done traditionally to use as a yardstick.

Like if somebody asked me where in the US to go for a burger where they'd know they could get something decent no matter which location: 1) Carl'S Jr 6-Dollar Burger/cheeseburger. ALWAYS decent, always a reasonable price. Add their seasoned fries. (I know they are few & far between now. Don't care.) 2) Jack-in-the-Box Ciabatta Burger or the one they make on a Kaiser Roll. 3) Forget burgers and get a Jason's Deli New York Yankee. On rye, of course. :-+

McSludgeburger & Butt King and the Little-Red-Pigtails-Girl aren't even what I call FOOD.  :palm: If you're a fan of greasy-spoon-truck-stop-style burgers, Whataburger is the place for you. I have a little more respect for my intestines than that, however.  :P

mnem
*may the shwartz be with you*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45054 on: December 15, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »
I need a ac transformer for 3456A

If finding a replacement is impossible you could re-wire the transfo. Not a fun job but it's doable. Need to re-wire a 1Kv transfo and I have been procrastinating for a year now  ::) Not a pleasant job indeed.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45055 on: December 15, 2019, 03:24:09 pm »
As for Poutine... it kindof all looks like barf on french fries to me.  :o I'd really rather avoid the "error" part of trial and error therein...

Many foods look like barf; some taste like it. Widely popular foods are unlikely to fall into that category. Without "errors" where you find something less good, you will (a) not realise how good the other stuff is and (b) miss out on things that are surprisingly good. Serendipity is my favourite word and concept; I'm always searching for it, but the older I get the less I find it :( Even so, to misquote Arnold Palmer, the more I search for it the luckier I get.

Of course I know this; I cook. One of my favorite snacks is leftover crock-pot-roast veggies over rice; if that doesn't look like a plate of barf nothing does.  :-DD

I was more looking for... a baseline. A large chain eatery known to produce a passable or maybe even good example of poutine done traditionally to use as a yardstick.

Like if somebody asked me where in the US to go for a burger where they'd know they could get something decent no matter which location: 1) Carl'S Jr 6-Dollar Burger/cheeseburger. ALWAYS decent, always a reasonable price. Add their seasoned fries. (I know they are few & far between now. Don't care.) 2) Jack-in-the-Box Ciabatta Burger or the one they make on a Kaiser Roll. 3) Forget burgers and get a Jason's Deli New York Yankee. On rye, of course. :-+

McSludgeburger & Butt King and the Little-Red-Pigtails-Girl aren't even what I call FOOD.  :palm: If you're a fan of greasy-spoon-truck-stop-style burgers, Whataburger is the place for you. I have a little more respect for my intestines than that, however.  :P

mnem
*may the shwartz be with you*

Poutine is part of the fast food and normally served along burgers, hotdogs and fries. The best place to eat those is small restaurant and you should try to avoid chain where it's going to be generic. Pretty much like McDonald vs your small deli burger.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45056 on: December 15, 2019, 03:39:28 pm »
I'll be damned - the little bugger fired up and works.(SNIP)      I'll have to open it up and get some good shots with my real camera.

-Pat

Dayumm!!! Wouldja lookit that shrapnel jacket around the CRT! That thing is effing HARDCORE; like it was made to be USED in the trenches under fire. Do you have the rest of the case? It is similarly armor-plated as well...?

Thanks for sharing, Pat. A really awesome bit of history there. :-+

There was one of those wrigglescopes on eBay I think the other day, or it could have been on Shpock, I'm not to sure which TBH but it did catch my eye for a while.

Speaking of scopes, my Velleman K7105 is already on its way to me apparently do hopefully won't have to wait too long to find out if it's a useable tool as bd139 suggested or a steaming turd like mnem implied, all I know is that it looks on paper to be a good bit of kit for low frequency work or not, but for price I paid, its worth a gamble.

With regard to TTi bench power supplies, there does seem to a few on eBay at the moment for not a lot of bucks, makes me wonder why everyone is dumping them now?

The K7105 isn’t going to blow your socks off but it is functional. I rather like them as they are same era as TI graphing calculators and feel about the same. Worst case it’s going to make a few quid on eBay :-DD

I think the TTi supplies are being booted because they’re linear, quite large and most laboratory work is fine with post regulated switch mode supplies now which are smaller and cheaper. I’ll take my large low noise supplies thanks :)

I have bad memories of the creamed-spinach display on original GameBoy; almost trigger-level visceral response. I'll NEVER EVER feel anything even marginally nostalgic for that "look & feel"; in fact, I still have 2 Sega GameGears with Metroid, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank, and Ecco squirreled away to restore someday.  :P

I suspect that "linear" is also the reason my Lambdas were available so cheap. Lets face it; with few exceptions, 100% linears are at that age now where even the top of the line made with the best components you could buy are ticking-capacitor-timebombs, or at least prime candidates for "filter-cap-fadeaway disease". Either require expensive, time-consuming shotgun capacitor replacement which requires... you know... paying a PERSON who knows WTF they're DOING to refurbish the instrument.  :scared: Anathema to the bean-counters, fer sherr. :palm:

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45057 on: December 15, 2019, 03:57:09 pm »
Yeah, I've had some problem understanding Maple Syrup up here too.

I've MADE Maple Syrup from scratch with my grand-dad; done everything from drilling to tapping the trees to cooking and then reducing the syrup. What he made... what I consider "Real Maple Syrup"... is dark and thick and VERY aromatic and strongly-flavoured with a little smoky/nutty overtone. What I can buy here... what they're really proud of as "Traditional Maple Syrup" for $10+ a bottle... is almost clear and watery, and barely any flavor or sweetness at all. It's like they brought the sap to a boil, then mixed it with corn syrup and called it good. :palm:

I mean, the ingredients say "100% Pure Maple Syrup" but everything else about it feels like watered-down corn-syrup.

:wtf:

mnem
*nutty & smoky*
That might be down to the food labelling laws over there, but we Brits (as long as we are in the EU at least) have far stricter laws on labelling of food and if it states 100% pure maple syrup then that is what it is. I suspect that Canada has aligned its food regulations fairly closely to the USA as it is its nearest neighbour? :-//

Really, no. I've noticed since I moved here that while foodstuffs are about 25% more expensive (even including the exchange rate) than the US, the baseline quality is exponentially higher. I think it's just a cultural difference in what is "normal" here.

They produce and sell different kind. I also prefer the dark one.

Ahhh... so there's a "light" & "dark" variety? I'll keep an eye out for "The Dark Side" of maple syrpple ; that's usually where I feel most comfortable anyways. :-DD I guess the "light" is marketed for all those "Wonder White Bread" conservatives in the area (there are just oodles... seriously  :palm:) who can't tolerate actual FLAVOR.  :P

Poutine is part of the fast food and normally served along burgers, hotdogs and fries. The best place to eat those is small restaurant and you should try to avoid chain where it's going to be generic. Pretty much like McDonald vs your small deli burger.

Okay... so like lasagna then. The only decent lasagna I've ever had at a chain was Tony Roma's. Well... that requires me to be in a bit more of an adventurous spirit; something to set aside for the New Year, methinks. Now is definitely the time for "family traditional" food-wise.

I'm totes down diddat. Added to the "Resolutions" list.  :-+

mnem
*Poke'-time*

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45058 on: December 15, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
Indeed.  Incidentally and on topic of social norms there was a naked dude down the road earlier being arrested. I need to move.

Was that him by any chance?   :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45059 on: December 15, 2019, 06:38:30 pm »
While I might interrupt the Foodbloggers, I can not help but exclaim: SCORE!

Resistance is futile beautiful! and MINE!

890210-0
890228-1

Aquired from a reliable, professional seller with whom I have made already several deals. At 0.03% a step forward regarding precision decades - and ESI! I love this type of construction with their concentric ring selectors. Not cheap, but worth it.

And a fine looking TM502 for 40.- +15.-(it comes from the Netherlands), which I consider a nice catch, as it doesn't show much (ab)use and will probably work as bought. It introduces the possibility of operating a double TM500 module alone, which is welcome on an always overused bench.

890214-2890218-3890222-4
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:40:17 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45060 on: December 15, 2019, 06:38:45 pm »
Humming and hawing over buying this. Someone please do it before I do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153760422192

Edit: too late  :-DD. Figure it'll replace the 6236B as well as a dual rail supply in tracking mode.

Congrats!!!!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45061 on: December 15, 2019, 06:51:28 pm »
Currently at Poke’mon League with my son; they’re just about to start tournament play.

I’m having my first Coffee Crisp EVER... with Canada Dry ginger ale on the side. Canada Dry has long been a favorite in the “comfort food” category; together with the Crisp is quite “Holiday Goodies” feeling.  :-+

mnem
 \$\Omega\$

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #45062 on: December 15, 2019, 07:34:52 pm »
I'll be damned - the little bugger fired up and works.(SNIP)      I'll have to open it up and get some good shots with my real camera.

-Pat

Dayumm!!! Wouldja lookit that shrapnel jacket around the CRT! That thing is effing HARDCORE; like it was made to be USED in the trenches under fire. Do you have the rest of the case? It is similarly armor-plated as well...?

Thanks for sharing, Pat. A really awesome bit of history there. :-+

LOL - hopefully not in trenches as it's a Navy scope according to what I've found about it, but yes, I did get the cover, too - it's barely visible at the extreme right of that photo.  Here's a pic of the data plate on the cover:

I haven't bothered taking a pic of it buttoned up because then it basically looks like a battleship-gray lunchbox.   :-DD

It was certainly built to last!!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45063 on: December 15, 2019, 08:34:27 pm »
Indeed. Signal integrity in your measurements is not really a problem when it comes to red/green repairs and signal tracing.

I refer people to simpler times when your only debugging and alignment tool for radios was a signal generator and VTVM with a diode probe.

In fact guess what my Elecraft k2 shipped with for alignment and debugging (the signal generator is built in):

(Attachment Link)

The Velleman is fine for everything other than forward engineering at higher frequencies.

That's what I was thinking, feed in a 400Hz signal and use the scope to see how far it goes and it should even be able to pinpoint the precise part that has failed, look for distortion / clipping etc and even take the odd voltage measurement as I work my through the circuit.

Modern meters look ugly without their protective bumpers don't they?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45064 on: December 15, 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
Anybody looking for a HP 3456a ? someone is selling bundle of 3 units for 40$. Shipping is going to be expensive though since they weights a ton.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-System-Multimeter-3456A-6-1-2-digit-Digital-Voltmeter-3-UNITS/254453626522
Tempting apart from the sheer size, also I already have fully functioning 6.5 digit meters that are smaller, but I was wavering until I saw the GSP shipping cost to the UK, an eye watering $276.48  :wtf: |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #45065 on: December 15, 2019, 08:58:01 pm »
Ahhh... so there's a "light" & "dark" variety? I'll keep an eye out for "The Dark Side" of maple syrpple ; that's usually where I feel most comfortable anyways. :-DD I guess the "light" is marketed for all those "Wonder White Bread" conservatives in the area (there are just oodles... seriously  :palm:) who can't tolerate actual FLAVOR.  :P

Okay... so like lasagna then. The only decent lasagna I've ever had at a chain was Tony Roma's. Well... that requires me to be in a bit more of an adventurous spirit; something to set aside for the New Year, methinks. Now is definitely the time for "family traditional" food-wise.

mnem
*Poke'-time*

I personally find dark amber maple syrup cloyingly sweet.  Not a big fan of maple syrup to begin with but I do prefer the light amber.  Mrs GreyWoolfe always gives me grief as I prefer my pancakes with just butter.   Lasagna from a restaurant?  My dearly departed mother would rise up from her grave and smack me in the back of the head.  Lasagna (Mrs GreyWoolfe) and stuffed shells( me) are homemade only.  Along with proper 3 meat meatballs and my famous marinara sauce.  If rumor has truth and Mrs GreyWoolfe's oldest daughter and son in law gift us a Kitchenaide stand mixer for Christmas, I will get the pasta and meat grinder attachments and try my hand at making my own Italian hot sausage.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45066 on: December 15, 2019, 10:20:54 pm »
I'm wondering as well if Brexit is now affecting the sales of TEA on eBay? I was watching this before https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-THURLBY-THANDAR-INSTRUMENTS-BENCH-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-PL310-32V-1APSU/293379017787 and its finishing price was £30 but it didn't hit its reserve price and the seller has relisted it. Now my upper bid was higher than its ending price, so, was my upper limit on a sniping tool, also below what its reserve price was set at, or, is it that the sniper cannot see the reserve figure and just stopped bidding because no-one bid against me?  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45067 on: December 15, 2019, 10:23:04 pm »
Agilent E5810A LAN / GPIB Gateway
US $200.00 + $20 shipping to US.

eBay auction: #333433574854

sold as defect, but to me it is ok no need to repair.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45068 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:14 pm »

Resistance is futile beautiful! and MINE!

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Aquired from a reliable, professional seller with whom I have made already several deals. At 0.03% a step forward regarding precision decades - and ESI! I love this type of construction with their concentric ring selectors. Not cheap, but worth it.

I have an ESI DekaStat and a DekaPot. The feel of the rings as they rotate is just right, almost pornographic :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45069 on: December 15, 2019, 10:42:06 pm »
The HP 3455A dropped out of fedex hyperspace and landed on my front porch this afternoon1

I will post photos of it (no idea if it works or not) once I have it on the bench, which is occupied by various chunks of the 184.  There was a bonus in the box. Not one, but two, complete copies of the user and service manual, in quite good condition.

And no, I don't need a 6.5 digit DMM - I actually wasn't even looking for one - but it matches the 500MHz HP frequency counter and it looks kinda cool. ::) 

1Since it arrived a week late, I am tempted to ask the seller to file a refund claim but I do not want to anger the shipping gods...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:03:29 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45070 on: December 15, 2019, 10:44:36 pm »

Nice puppy! It's a joy, please tear down and inside pics.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45071 on: December 15, 2019, 10:52:42 pm »
FYI,

we TEA just got mentioned in the last amphour episode:

https://theamphour.com/470-just-add-salt/

we need to do our own podcast!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:57:42 pm by Zucca »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45073 on: December 15, 2019, 10:59:08 pm »
FYI,

we TEA just got mentioned in the last amphour episode:

https://theamphour.com/470-just-add-salt/

we need to do our own podcast!

We're famous, it's at about 15 m into the podcast.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45074 on: December 15, 2019, 11:21:20 pm »

Tempting apart from the sheer size, also I already have fully functioning 6.5 digit meters that are smaller, but I was wavering until I saw the GSP shipping cost to the UK, an eye watering $276.48  :wtf: |O

Yeah, shipping to me is only $10 less.  :wtf:

WAF aside, I've already got too many MEBBs/MESBs/MEGBs floating around the house we just moved into even for my OWN liking. I'm surprised they lasted this long though...

Indeed. Signal integrity in your measurements is not really a problem when it comes to red/green repairs and signal tracing. I refer people to simpler times when your only debugging and alignment tool for radios was a signal generator and VTVM with a diode probe. In fact guess what my Elecraft k2 shipped with for alignment and debugging (the signal generator is built in): (Attachment Link)

The Velleman is fine for everything other than forward engineering at higher frequencies.
That's what I was thinking, feed in a 400Hz signal and use the scope to see how far it goes and it should even be able to pinpoint the precise part that has failed, look for distortion / clipping etc and even take the odd voltage measurement as I work my through the circuit. Modern meters look ugly without their protective bumpers don't they?

Sorry... 64 x 96 pixels (maybe less) is just too little waveform information to display; you will not be able to distinguish distortion or clipping from display artifact. It's like those 2.1 digits Bell & Howell nixie meters. An interesting curiosity, but really not fit for purpose.  :palm: You'll see what I mean.

Modern...? I think your "crusty old fart"-ness age is showing a little, buddy. :-DD

mnem
*pizzable*
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:24:55 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf