Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16615914 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Robert763, colorburst, Cesar_D and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43550 on: November 27, 2019, 03:47:52 pm »
  Just getting it down to single digits is shameful enough for all intents and purposes.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
(Attachment Link)    Worst part ... good part is, avg Joes in this part of the world are still praising the greatness of digital multimeter (the seller was bragging by waiving the 2 bucks DMM) and compared to this so called "low tech" analog meter that can do only AC volt measuring, not even DC volt and resistance ... yeah .. right ...   >:D :clap:

Yeah, well-l-l-l-l... In order to properly appreciate "suitability for purpose", you need to know enough about what you're doing to know what the purpose actually is, AND which tools are truly suitable. When the only tools you have ever used are a Swiss army knife and a hammer, you don't understand the value of a scalpel and a pin vise.  :palm: Worse yet; if given these precision tools, you'd most likely use both under the hammer.  |O

One of todays projects from back in the day when you could be 'Educated' in the corporal sense  >:D Tempted to Laser engrave Wilderiser back on the faces when the cleanup is done  ;D

Speaking of hammers... that is a right proper little Sledge-O-Matic you got there bean...  :-+ Whooya gonna adjust widditt? :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #43551 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »
For those who care  :-DD made into Denver safely yesterday. We were one of the few flights to make it in. Nearly 75% of the flights out and a good percentage of flights in were cancelled. On our first attempt at landing the pilots suddenly had to firewall the throttles and go around. Something about an obstruction on the runway. I thought the lady next to me was gonna shit herself.  :scared: Second attempt at landing as soon as the 737 touched down we skidded left, then right. Holy shit.  :o But the pilots were good...got it straighten out and then full reverse thrust and we stopped...after a LONG roll. Good times.  :-DD

My brother was waiting for me and then the 70 mile drive. Roads were mostly snow covered and luckily, empty of traffic. The Jeep had no issues getting here. Supposed to have more snow tomorrow. So far over a foot on the ground.  :o

Glad you arrived safely. I lived in Boulder for ten years and I fly in and out of DIA regularly. The crew there is used to dealing with snow and does an excellent job at keeping the airport safely open and the pilots who fly in and out of there regularly know the drill.  That said, when there is that much snow coming down that quickly, shit goes wrong fast.  Over the years, I had my share of, um, exciting DIA landings.
specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43552 on: November 27, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »
Now I will take a break and continue to enjoy that I never have to work anymore.

Welcome to the club :)
I presume that we're talking about retirement here? In that case welcome to the club, everyday is also dress down day now and it feels great  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43553 on: November 27, 2019, 04:16:22 pm »
For those who care  :-DD made into Denver safely yesterday. We were one of the few flights to make it in. Nearly 75% of the flights out and a good percentage of flights in were cancelled. On our first attempt at landing the pilots suddenly had to firewall the throttles and go around. Something about an obstruction on the runway. I thought the lady next to me was gonna shit herself.  :scared: Second attempt at landing as soon as the 737 touched down we skidded left, then right. Holy shit.  :o But the pilots were good...got it straighten out and then full reverse thrust and we stopped...after a LONG roll. Good times.  :-DD

My brother was waiting for me and then the 70 mile drive. Roads were mostly snow covered and luckily, empty of traffic. The Jeep had no issues getting here. Supposed to have more snow tomorrow. So far over a foot on the ground.  :o

We all care immensely about your well-being Papa Smurf, so good to hear that you made it OK.  Never experienced an aborted landing personally, but while working on the new Terminal 5 at London Heathrow, I have seen many from a spectators view point and it is quite scary hearing the engines going from being practically idling to full power in a second.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43554 on: November 27, 2019, 04:28:10 pm »
Ok, heating engineer has been and gone, 2 year old gas boiler at fault and now the manufacturer is coming tomorrow to have a look while we all shiver again. What time are they coming, anytime between 7.00am and 6.00pm, just glad that we aren't yet in the depths of winter  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43555 on: November 27, 2019, 04:34:11 pm »
Now I will take a break and continue to enjoy that I never have to work anymore.

I presume that we're talking about retirement here? In that case welcome to the club, everyday is also dress down day now and it feels great  :-+

I really enjoyed joining the club.:) Thanks. Yes, retirement.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43556 on: November 27, 2019, 04:55:40 pm »
I have oscillator day: just arrived (little brother from the 200)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43557 on: November 27, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »
Nice unit but I'd have to pair that up with a frequency counter to be sure  :-DD Now thats a point, years ago we never worried so much about accuracy, frequency generators with a protractor scale for setting the frequency and analogue voltmeters and yet we managed to make things work..
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43558 on: November 27, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »
that`s for playing lissajous  :)

Next time I want look to get a arbitrary.
The oldies are part of the oscillator invasion here

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43559 on: November 27, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »
I think even more important is a good compressor, oil free of course. Or did we already have it here? The thread is very long. In addition, I do not know where to put the whole thing yet.

I have a Dürr one, used by a dentist. 170€ was a steal.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43560 on: November 27, 2019, 05:41:30 pm »
Vacuum cleaner are now a part of TEA?  ???
Yep, a vacuum cleaner is an important tool in the workshop and so is in most peoples opinion, while not technically TEA, is close enough but is also part of what we call "water cooler" chatter and as such might just be of interest to others and as always, it was. That's why this particular thread is now I believe the most popular thread of the forum, we are relaxed to an extent about we chat about here.
Yep, just about. #1 on replies and #3 on views.      Little did you realise just how big a monster you unleashed when set the thread up    :-DD Long may it continue.

I believe that it sets the gold standard for all forums / threads, setting just the right balance between on topic and off topic activity and it is entirely self policing or at least I'm unaware of anyone ever falling foul of any moderators discipline  :-//

We-e-e-e-ell-l-l-l...  :-[  I must admit to having elicited a sharp word or two from TPTB, but nothing more than that. >:D  Agree wholeheartedly on the whole "Just the right mix" part.  :-+

We all care immensely about your well-being Papa Smurf, so good to hear that you made it OK.  Never experienced an aborted landing personally, but while working on the new Terminal 5 at London Heathrow, I have seen many from a spectators view point and it is quite scary hearing the engines going from being practically idling to full power in a second.

Speak fer yerself! I'll never admit to giving a damn aboot a fellow Noo Yah-kah!!! :-DD

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!!!  ya blue-arsed bastahd. ;)

mnem
Q' Aplah!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43561 on: November 27, 2019, 05:49:48 pm »
Ok, heating engineer has been and gone, 2 year old gas boiler at fault and now the manufacturer is coming tomorrow to have a look while we all shiver again. What time are they coming, anytime between 7.00am and 6.00pm, just glad that we aren't yet in the depths of winter  :palm:

FWIW I had a gas hot air furnace go out recently. Before I made a 3 hr trip to pick up a $320 board I decided to take a 2nd look.  A 47 uF, 63 V cap  was obviously blown.  So I pulled the board and took it home.  After a lot of rummaging through parts bins, I found some 22 uF, 100 V units, so I wired them in  parallel pairs and it was fixed  at less than 1/2 the drive time and none of the cost.

After looking at the previous furnace board I had replaced (at another commercial property) which had 1x 22 uF and 2x 47 uF caps, I ordered 100 each of higher reliability Nichicon 22, 47 & 100 uF at 63 V.  Aside from 2-3 $0.25 caps, everything is semiconductors, resistors and relays.   So it is quite unlikely that anything other than bad caps and ESD will kill a board.

Amazingly, the OEM caps are just regular SMPS caps, not one of the "high reliability" parts.

Reg

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43562 on: November 27, 2019, 05:53:02 pm »
Wrong end, buddy.  :-DD
[.attach=drawsword.wav]
Are you going to deny that your arse has that "lived in" look? I know MINE sure as hell does.  :-DD

mnem
Hmmm... more like "died in" look, if I'm honest with m'self... :o
Strangely, yes. It's one of my few good features and one of the few that has retained any of its former glory. It still garners admiring looks from the ladies and even the occasional grope. As I'm turning 60 in the near future I regard that as a "result".

Okay... I kindof get that. You'll laugh... but in my case it's my calves. The only part of my body that hasn't been completely overrun by cellulite; a by-product of walking carrying heavy shit for miles on the farm all while growing up that appears to have carried over the rest of my life. When I was in high school, I could bench 250 lbs and leg press a ton.

When I started gaining weight, mother nature took my already prominent polock arse and increased its dimensions first, before all the rest; by now the shadow thereof weight 12 lbs, no doubt. :palm:

mnem
*Current mood: Sticky*
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:47:49 am by mnementh »

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43563 on: November 27, 2019, 06:00:58 pm »
Yeah, well-l-l-l-l... In order to properly appreciate "suitability for purpose", you need to know enough about what you're doing to know what the purpose actually is, AND which tools are truly suitable. When the only tools you have ever used are a Swiss army knife and a hammer, you don't understand the value of a scalpel and a pin vise.  :palm: Worse yet; if given these precision tools, you'd most likely use both under the hammer.  |O

One of todays projects from back in the day when you could be 'Educated' in the corporal sense  >:D Tempted to Laser engrave Wilderiser back on the faces when the cleanup is done  ;D

Speaking of hammers... that is a right proper little Sledge-O-Matic you got there bean...  :-+ Whooya gonna adjust widditt? :-DD

mnem

The engineer's favourite adage: "If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer"
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43564 on: November 27, 2019, 06:02:46 pm »
what`s that?

Battery 6,75V  TR235
its possible to buy them or obsolete?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43565 on: November 27, 2019, 06:22:45 pm »
what`s that?

Battery 6,75V  TR235

That sounds like 5 mercury cells (1.35V) in series so most definitely not just obsolete, but banned in all civilized places.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43566 on: November 27, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »
what`s that?

Battery 6,75V  TR235

That sounds like 5 mercury cells (1.35V) in series so most definitely not just obsolete, but banned in all civilized places.

I assume this means you have a "small" stockpile in your basement, "Just for emergencies"...?  ;)

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43567 on: November 27, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »
I don't acquire things just because they are banned. Not always anyway.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43568 on: November 27, 2019, 06:44:51 pm »

Battery 6.75V

d 25mm
l 80mm

used in the hp 204B  (4 pcs)
I have to put there anything

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43569 on: November 27, 2019, 07:34:54 pm »

FYI the most reliable boiler brands are Worcester and Vaillant. The heating technicians I've talked to prefer the maintainability of Vaillant.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43570 on: November 27, 2019, 07:39:09 pm »
Battery 6.75V

d 25mm
l 80mm

used in the hp 204B  (4 pcs)
I have to put there anything

Geyer Electronic in Munich is still around. And based on their website, they are doing customized battery packs.
Perhaps if you give them a call, they can help you?

https://www.geyer-electronic.de/Batterie-Produkte.8.0.html
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43571 on: November 27, 2019, 08:13:29 pm »

Glad you arrived safely. I lived in Boulder for ten years and I fly in and out of DIA regularly. The crew there is used to dealing with snow and does an excellent job at keeping the airport safely open and the pilots who fly in and out of there regularly know the drill.  That said, when there is that much snow coming down that quickly, shit goes wrong fast.  Over the years, I had my share of, um, exciting DIA landings.

Did you ever experience the old Denver airport (Stapleton)? Now that was fun, even in good weather. Runways barely adequate for the altitude (nearly 6000 feet) and the approach was over the Rockies. Constant severe turbulence all the way to ground. So bad you'd think the plane would come apart.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43572 on: November 27, 2019, 08:15:32 pm »
here you can learn how to build a mechanical lin/log transmission  :popcorn:

hp204B

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43573 on: November 27, 2019, 08:16:36 pm »

Ditto to the max.  :-+ :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43574 on: November 27, 2019, 08:20:26 pm »

Oh, and if anyone is interested in setting up a group buy for some of those Fischer connectors, let me know, I'll be in for a couple.

You might like to add that request to this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/group-buy-fischer-connector-plug-s104-a053-130/msg1538426/#msg1538426

Yeah I just didn't want to necro that thread unless I had to.

I bet this place has Fischer connectors...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf