Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16619830 times)

SashPlane, Wolfgang, Vince and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43500 on: November 26, 2019, 02:53:47 pm »

Having to call someone in Germany (from Canada) to order some connectors is not necessarily my definition of easy. On top of that my German is pretty rusty  :P

"Easy" would be readily available at digikey, mouser or arrow. Unfortunatly it's not the case  :-\

There is an office in Toronto:

https://www.fischerconnectors.com/global/en/locations/ontario

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43501 on: November 26, 2019, 02:59:49 pm »
Toronto...? If there's anything an IRL set of hands would help with, lemme know K.  :-+

mnem
*researching power suck-pply issues on an old Toshiba TV*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43502 on: November 26, 2019, 03:00:56 pm »
@BU508A: See below. ;)

@SilverSolder: Yeah, I think they rebrand those in the US as RICCAR. I had one as my "under-workbench" unit for years as it would suck up 16mm ball-bearings but it ran so quiet the only sound you could hear was the air rushing at the nozzle. It had both a cyclonic chamber and a large bag-style HEPA filter, which meant you didn't want to suck up anything bigger than a blob of solder tho; a handfull of screws would rattle around in there like a swarm of angry pixies for several minutes before the last one exited into the bag. :scared:

That one got lost in the last move; this move I Goodwill-ed the hose for it.  |O

mnem
 :popcorn:

RICCAR appears to be US made,  which is unusual - https://www.sensualappealblog.com/riccar-vacuum-reviews/

Attempting to stay on topic:  -  is it actually a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out electronic equipment, or do they generate too much static voltage to be safe?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43503 on: November 26, 2019, 03:08:30 pm »

Having to call someone in Germany (from Canada) to order some connectors is not necessarily my definition of easy. On top of that my German is pretty rusty  :P

"Easy" would be readily available at digikey, mouser or arrow. Unfortunatly it's not the case  :-\

Well ok … I need to improve my google foo  :P

Will check with them if they can supply the part. Thanks!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43504 on: November 26, 2019, 03:14:29 pm »

Well ok … I need to improve my google foo  :P

Will check with them if they can supply the part. Thanks!

I'll bet they will supply 10 of them. Post your findings.

As I wrote...
"The connectors are easy to find. The problem is the cost and especially the minimum order quantity :( FFI see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/group-buy-fischer-connector-plug-s104-a053-130/msg1538426/#msg1538426 "
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:16:49 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43505 on: November 26, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »
For my lab I have this buddy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183981295432
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #43506 on: November 26, 2019, 05:12:29 pm »
My fan service procedure is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1863828/#msg1863828

Useful, easy to miss or not find, bookmarked.

@tggzzz, @med, @mnen - thanks for the pointers. I skimming through the sixty five  :scared:  pages of 2465 teardown thread and have been through the tekscope (and other lists).  Truth is, the amount of information to sort through is rather overwhelming, and that has fed my tendency to rely on "don't fix it if it ain't broke" driven procrastination.

Given the noise and symptoms though, I clearly need to repair/rebuild the fan in both. If I don't I end up with a bigger problem. I am guessing that I also need to fix the fan control board on the 485. Both units need a recap and the 485 has, at the least, sticky pushbutton switches and a couple of burned out lights. And no sense in taking either of them apart and not addressing the recap.

Time for me to graduate from fixing TMxxx plugins and Tek calibration generators and take on more complicated gear, I guess. Will start sifting through the threads, figure out what I need, and build a plan of attack.  I don't know which scope I will do first as it isn't clear that one is actually any harder to work on than the other.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #43507 on: November 26, 2019, 05:45:58 pm »

@tggzzz, @med, @mnen - thanks for the pointers. I skimming through the sixty five  :scared:  pages of 2465 teardown thread and have been through the tekscope (and other lists).  Truth is, the amount of information to sort through is rather overwhelming, and that has fed my tendency to rely on "don't fix it if it ain't broke" driven procrastination.

The more important question is: have you read all 1741 pages of the TEA thread?  :o  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43508 on: November 26, 2019, 05:59:18 pm »
Vacuum cleaner are now a part of TEA?  ???
Yep, a vacuum cleaner is an important tool in the workshop and so is in most peoples opinion, while not technically TEA, is close enough but is also part of what we call "water cooler" chatter and as such might just be of interest to others and as always, it was. That's why this particular thread is now I believe the most popular thread of the forum, we are relaxed to an extent about we chat about here.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43509 on: November 26, 2019, 06:04:36 pm »
Yep, a vacuum cleaner is an important tool in the workshop and so is in most peoples opinion, while not technically TEA, is close enough but is also part of what we call "water cooler" chatter and as such might just be of interest to others and as always, it was. That's why this particular thread is now I believe the most popular thread of the forum, we are relaxed to an extent about we chat about here.

Exactly so! Mine is a 30+ year old Philips cylinder unit and is essential for sucking the yucky fuzz out of old TE and desktop PCs alike. Sometimes I even vac the floor with it...

Oh, and if anyone is interested in setting up a group buy for some of those Fischer connectors, let me know, I'll be in for a couple.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43510 on: November 26, 2019, 06:11:15 pm »
Update on the Samsung CLP-315W printer, the donor printer arrived today and I'm surprised that arrived without major damage is not packed well enough for the journey in view. Packed on its side  so loads of toner had spilled out all over the place, so I had to get the vacuum out and clean the bugger up before I could open it to inspect its inerts. Swapped the imaging drum and transfer belt over and now its as good as new.  :-+

So now do I dump the old printer or attempt repair the transfer belt by stripping it down and looking at its rollers and blades, the imaging drum is easy to restore as there are suppliers of new drums on the web but not the transfer belts?.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #43511 on: November 26, 2019, 06:47:58 pm »

Absolutely.  You need it to vacuum up the small IC chips before you step on them barefoot. ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43512 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:59 pm »
+1 for Sebo vacuum cleaners

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43513 on: November 26, 2019, 06:52:15 pm »
For sweeping up the snipped wire ends, solder splashes, and other miscellaneous crap off the lab bench, I use a paperhanging brush. Also great for dusting off control-knob-encrusted equipment panels

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43514 on: November 26, 2019, 06:57:09 pm »
[..]
That [vac] got lost in the last move; this move I Goodwill-ed the hose for it.  |O

Move..  -How's your status becoming a canadian, btw?    :)    :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43515 on: November 26, 2019, 06:58:25 pm »

Oh, and if anyone is interested in setting up a group buy for some of those Fischer connectors, let me know, I'll be in for a couple.

You might like to add that request to this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/group-buy-fischer-connector-plug-s104-a053-130/msg1538426/#msg1538426
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43516 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:22 pm »
@BU508A: See below. ;)

@SilverSolder: Yeah, I think they rebrand those in the US as RICCAR. I had one as my "under-workbench" unit for years as it would suck up 16mm ball-bearings but it ran so quiet the only sound you could hear was the air rushing at the nozzle. It had both a cyclonic chamber and a large bag-style HEPA filter, which meant you didn't want to suck up anything bigger than a blob of solder tho; a handfull of screws would rattle around in there like a swarm of angry pixies for several minutes before the last one exited into the bag. :scared:

That one got lost in the last move; this move I Goodwill-ed the hose for it.  |O

mnem
 :popcorn:

RICCAR appears to be US made,  which is unusual - https://www.sensualappealblog.com/riccar-vacuum-reviews/

Attempting to stay on topic:  -  is it actually a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out electronic equipment, or do they generate too much static voltage to be safe?

Huh... interesting to know about the RICCAR units. Going by the name (and how much yours looks like my old one) I just assumed it had to be imported.  :-//   And looking at that advert site, I'm bummed all over again about misplacing mine now; it was a damned fine dirt-sucker.

Low-velocity, high-volume (dirt-sucker in BLOW mode) is the preferred method for quick dusting out PCs/servers/switches in every IT Dept I've worked at. Compressed air from a local compressor can create some fair amount of static charge in theory; in practice much likelier is contamination with airborne rusty water mist unless you run air filtration/dessicant cartridges. That combined with a ground strap on the metal part of your air nozzle has so far proven safe for my own use, while providing the required force to dislodge really stubborn dust elephants and rhinos. You know the kind I'm talking about.  ;)

Alternately, the dirt-sicker and natural-bristle paintbrush (NOT nylon or polyester... NO-O-O-O!!!) method is my second (third?) choice for when I'm in the client's office and don't want to make a mess. As always, the important thing is to always make sure YOU are grounded/discharged before handling the electronics, and try to avoid touching anything semiconductor with the tip of the hose (metal or plastic) in case of static discharge.

We were issued little Hurricane brand cordless blower units at the last regular gig I had... they made a lot of noise but weren't very effective, even compared to the cheapest Shop-Vac in blow mode.

mnem
*currently shopping snow tires*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:54:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43517 on: November 26, 2019, 08:48:35 pm »
[..]
That [vac] got lost in the last move; this move I Goodwill-ed the hose for it.  |O

Move..  -How's your status becoming a canadian, btw?    :)    :popcorn:

grrrrr. That is all.  ;)

mnem
*back to the grind*

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43518 on: November 26, 2019, 09:39:58 pm »
I had a similar experience but at only 80km/hr, the meat transport guy forgot to lock the rear door of his truck, distributing freshly butchered cow carcases across the road. Dodged most but a bit of rib got a back tyre - $250 bucks later - but no other damage!
I still recall the cars weaving across the road in front of me!

I once hit a decomposing rabbit with a lawn mower. Very. Bad. Idea. I was sick for an hour.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #43519 on: November 26, 2019, 09:53:26 pm »
Off Topic.

Someone mentioned that they had just purchased a new vacuum cleaner, the same one that they saw a lot hotel cleaners dragging around, which one was it please? Our Dyson has just gone for posh shit again, 2nd power unit in a short time and its not worth buying another?

That who was Cerebus, and Miele was the brand.  Me, I'd buy an Euroclean (Electrolux pro model) or Nilfisk. But that is very Scandinavian of me.  As to Miele, I've got one, but I've also got a Hugin, ie. the swedish COOP whitegoods brand of yesteryear. The suck control dial went out long ago (broken plastic bit), but it was easy to set to "Max". The rest of the machine just keeps on sucking. As it should. Going on 20 years now.  The Miele is probably about the same age, but it's broken in a few annoying places (bent tube nozzle that is attached to the hose and the parking clip that holds the hose/tubefloor-nozzle tidy onto the machine in storage). The suck, though, is brilliant.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #43520 on: November 26, 2019, 09:56:42 pm »
Back in the day, there were bagless Nilfisks:

That is just after Fisker & Nielsen stopped making motorcycles, I guess.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #43521 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:40 pm »

At a very previous job, (middle 90s) we had a copier service guy do a service call during which he forgot to take his very specialized and expensive ESD-safe vacuum cleaner with him as he left. We waited several weeks but he did not reappear, so we started to use it. Quite useful, especially as we were a sound and lights shop, with lots of fan-cooled devices to clean out.

Yes, it is a good idea to use a vac to clean electronics, but better have one that is ESD safe. Or, be very mindful of ESD procedure.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #43522 on: November 26, 2019, 10:21:53 pm »
So this isn't mine.  It's just a random photo that came through my Twitter feed but I thought you guys might see it:

From: https://twitter.com/petmar0/status/1199368877538459648

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43523 on: November 26, 2019, 10:36:27 pm »
So this isn't mine.  It's just a random photo that came through my Twitter feed but I thought you guys might see it:

(Attachment Link)

From: https://twitter.com/petmar0/status/1199368877538459648

It has that "lived in" look...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43524 on: November 26, 2019, 11:04:33 pm »
It has that "lived in" look...

Did I hear my face mentioned?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf