Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17493905 times)

malagas_on_fire, onsokumaru, Jouko and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #40350 on: October 02, 2019, 07:18:11 pm »
Ruby red LED's are my favorite display. Must have something to do with my fatal attraction to bat shit crazy red heads which is why I stay FAR away from them now.  :phew: :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #40351 on: October 02, 2019, 07:24:16 pm »
Octopus has more birds: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765929

Have decided to buy a desktop PC. Keyboard just gave out on my T470 already ffs. Fortunately still under warranty so that's going back. Have rammed a USB keyboard in it for now and will order a desktop for later.

Ryzen it is... and custom build. Good job I just got paid up for some work  :palm:

You want to buy a lightly used RX580 Mister  >:D Depending on how much poke you want there is some very good deals going on the last gen 2600 and 2600X if you need to shave a $
Looking at Ryzen 5 2600X actually.  :-DD. 6 cores and 19Mb of cache glory.

I haven't actually built a PC from scratch since 2005 believe it or not.
What operating system will you go for with that? Only 6 cores, pah, my ancient AMD FX has 8 cores, problem is however that hardly any software I have can use them all  :palm:

Yeah, that’s why Ryzen 3600 is such a better deal than 2600 right now; or even the 3500 If you’re not into gaming. The single-core performance of 3rd-gen Ryzen is SOOOO much better.

@bd: If you can cancel the 2600 order, go 3600X or 3600. Your CAD real-time renders will thank you.

mnem
*slurrrping Chinese take-out* Fucking DoorDash...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:31:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40352 on: October 02, 2019, 07:36:47 pm »
Budgetary constraints unfortunately. I’ll wait one year then upgrade.

Anyway I’m supposed to be taking the night off. Back to drinking like a fish....  :-DD

Edit: can’t afford to get drunk these days. £5.75 a pint  :scared:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:40:34 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40353 on: October 02, 2019, 07:54:27 pm »
WARNING!!! BLUNT TALK AHEAD!!!

No, you pontificated from a place of ignorance while I systematically deconstructed why you were wrong, and then you continued to ignore the clear and obvious proof that you were wrong, repeating the same ignorant BS in different words over and over again, because you refuse to see beyond last year’s technology when next year’s is already in production.

I refuse to engage in ANOTHER such battle of willful ignorance in my place of refuge.

In short, pound off.

mnem
*no mood to suffer fools*
Learn to eat some crow.  :palm: Being wrong on occasion is a good thing as you'll learn something but when you get hung up on your pride and respond with belligerence it's all for naught. Look up some real world practical examples or the benchmarks posted in that previous discussion. You don't even have to admit out loud you've been wrong, but at least admit it to yourself.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #40354 on: October 02, 2019, 08:03:09 pm »
Interesting. My 191 is in a slide in cabinet like your 106 and also the recently acquired 114.

I think the sine and square wave generators were often sold together in a rack mount case (there was one pictured earlier in the thread). Then people started taking them out of the rack and using the shell you see on mine. It is not really well-thought out... it is just a wrapper and isn't fastened to the unit inside.

Makes sense and I notice that yours does have the hole in lower left which would contain the thumb screw to secure it into a rack. Apparently someone removed it completely.

Both of the 191s I have are in the same state... the thumb screw and bar are missing.  I took a brief break from my day of desk work to have a look at the second one. It is clean, there are no obviously damaged components and it is putting out clean sine waves from the bottom to the top of the range, which is good news. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the variable amplitude control is working.   :-BROKE

I should get an hour at the bench later to look at it more carefully. Maybe dirty switches?  One can always hope!   :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40355 on: October 02, 2019, 08:19:06 pm »
@ Scram - Nice try. Not gonna suck me in.

Cheers,

mnem
Now scram, Scram.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40356 on: October 02, 2019, 08:24:40 pm »
hey bd139... love the 3D prints! 

I've been head-scratching about what to print... and while octopuses giving the finger are fun, has anyone ever done any hp/agilent power supply feet?  I didn't see anything good on thingiverse

-Tom

edit - aw crap, search for foot instead of feet....  :palm:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2910480
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:26:16 pm by ogdento »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #40357 on: October 02, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
Now scram, Scram.

I'm not quite sure if he's directing that at you, or me, or both??   :-//

I've actually eaten crow many times in this thread. Tastes like chicken

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40358 on: October 02, 2019, 08:30:05 pm »

Not sure why you think it might be but it's definitely not directed at you.  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40359 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:39 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
Now scram, Scram.

Same here. I like a little Worcestershire sauce on mine.  :-DD

If the worst thing that happens to me in a day is I get embarrassed, it’s been a damn fine day.

mnem
*currently stuffed full of General Tso’s Crow & Bork Potstickers*

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40360 on: October 02, 2019, 08:36:08 pm »
We discussed this before, I think? The practical real life impact of the bandwidth difference is negligible. When the difference between SATA and NVMe isn't discernible the difference between NVMe and faster NVMe definitely isn't regardless of benchmarks that make your peener bigger.
No, you pontificated from a place of ignorance while I systematically deconstructed why you were wrong, and then you continued to ignore the clear and obvious proof that you were wrong, repeating the same ignorant BS in different words over and over again, because you refuse to see beyond last year’s technology when next year’s is already in production.

I refuse to engage in ANOTHER such battle of willful ignorance in my place of refuge.

Actually you are wrong on this point, as Scram points out spending the extra for the vast majority of users is not a good bang for the buck.

I run Intel NVME's in one of my systems and they are fine, the systems fast and responsive, I also have used the Samsung Pro and I like the Intel better because of the price difference.

In terms of SSD I have both the 850's and the better 860's and I can't tell you which system has which without checking.

Finally, are NVME better, on paper yes, but I  seldom notice any difference between two almost identical configured systems with the difference being one has a SSD and the other is a M.2 NVME. An I/O sequential benchmark shows the M.2 is significantly faster but in everyday use I can't tell the systems apart.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40361 on: October 02, 2019, 08:44:18 pm »
Awww, isn’t that sweet... Scram got one of his buddies to forum-dive in support of his backwards-looking logic. nvme IS BETTER... categorically. The fact you don’t know this is NOT my problem.

STILL NOT INTERESTED. I built the way I did in preparation for the future, not to be ready for the LAST generation’s workload.

Have a nice day mate,

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:45:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40362 on: October 02, 2019, 08:44:58 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
Now scram, Scram.

huh. i thought it tasted like rattlesnake.  >:D which reminds me... in the i-am-dope-category today is, well, me. after finding the bad caps in the 106, i hustled over to mouser to order them. bing bang boom. done. easy peasy. they showed up today and ...

they are too big. because i didn't check the dimensions on the data sheet. because modern electrolytic capacitors are always smaller than forty year old electrolytic capacitors. except when they aint. and these aint.  |O

yup. tastes like rattlesnake.  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40363 on: October 02, 2019, 08:48:50 pm »
Is there room enough to offset them and cover the extra-long leads in heat-shrink? Or do you think that’ll affect performance, as I recall you said they are in the signal chain...?

mnem
moo...?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40364 on: October 02, 2019, 08:57:33 pm »
Is there room enough to offset them and cover the extra-long leads in heat-shrink? Or do you think that’ll affect performance, as I recall you said they are in the signal chain...?

mnem
moo...?

two of them are on the input buffer PCBs (on which they span the board exactly) as blocking caps and two are on ceramic terminal strips. even if could fit them, the booge factor of doing so is too high, even for me. i will bite the bullet, put these in my stock, and order the right parts.

reality always finds a way reminding me that ready, shoot, aim should not be my go-to problem-solving strategy.  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40365 on: October 02, 2019, 09:11:26 pm »
LOL... yeah, I have so many bullet-hole scars in my feet from that... :-DD

mnem
...and two left feet. :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40366 on: October 02, 2019, 09:14:42 pm »

I've been head-scratching about what to print... and while octopuses giving the finger are fun, has anyone ever done any hp/agilent power supply feet?  I didn't see anything good on thingiverse

-Tom

Those feet are coming here. I’ve got some original ones on my 5334B. Plan is to sit there and religiously copy them using FreeCAD.

Alcohol buzz run out now. On way home. I’m such an old now.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40367 on: October 02, 2019, 09:18:22 pm »
Awww, isn’t that sweet... Scram got one of his buddies to forum-dive in support of his backwards-looking logic. nvme IS BETTER... categorically. The fact you don’t know this is NOT my problem.

STILL NOT INTERESTED. I built the way I did in preparation for the future, not to be ready for the LAST generation’s workload.

Have a nice day mate,

mnem
 :popcorn:
Correct. I just called him to back me up. We even populated the internet with faux benchmarks and opinions to obscure our ignorance.

The drive we were talking about also is NVMe but the argument even extends to much slower SATA drives. If you define "better" as bigger numbers in benchmarks you're correct. If you translate "better" as real world benefits like boot times and the time to load applications the gain is negligible or even negative. No one can predict the future but considering hard drive bandwidth is a story of diminishing returns it seems unliky things are going to shift more significantly than they did the past 5 years which is very little. No one is wrong for going with bigger numbers but with budgetary constraints the money is spent more effectively elsewhere. If you did happen to invest in laptops, smartphones and drones in the past you can obviously go with whatever three fastest drive at the moment is.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40368 on: October 02, 2019, 09:19:27 pm »

-Tom

"I have a solution and am absolutely itching for a problem."  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #40369 on: October 02, 2019, 09:22:08 pm »

mnem
moo...?

two of them are on the input buffer PCBs (on which they span the board exactly) as blocking caps and two are on ceramic terminal strips. even if could fit them, the booge factor of doing so is too high, even for me. i will bite the bullet, put these in my stock, and order the right parts.

reality always finds a way reminding me that ready, shoot, aim should not be my go-to problem-solving strategy.  ;D

That's a revelation. I've never seen newer caps to be larger than the old caps.  :-//

Truth be told I'd probably bodge them in....but don't tell anyone, especially mnem.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:23:53 pm by med6753 »

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40370 on: October 02, 2019, 09:44:40 pm »
Awww, isn’t that sweet... Scram got one of his buddies to forum-dive in support of his backwards-looking logic.

I wonder how many posters reading the forum were persuaded to you point of view by that comment.

I built the way I did in preparation for the future, not to be ready for the LAST generation’s workload.[/i][/b]

And therein is the problem. You bought the higher priced solution and IT has to be better right? You want to tell everyone how you have the best and screw anyone who questions your wisdom.

Others like myself are a little more restrained with our money, if I buy into a 'better' widget I want a meaningful return on that investment. I have a mix of systems as well as various drives from multiple vendors and I'm well able to compare without the bias of having bought the latest and greatest and needing to prove myself right.

Be happy with what you have and accept others don't have the luxury of buying the latest and greatest just to satisfy their ego.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40371 on: October 02, 2019, 09:57:32 pm »
I think we’re all getting a bit emotional here. NVMe does matter! You won’t notice it on an average desktop workload though. If you have several threads trying to suck up bits of disk there’s a massive difference on latency and lock contention.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #40372 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:34 pm »
All righty.......I'm logging out for the night as I want no part of the collateral damage I fear is about to beset this thread again.

I'll peek in (carefully) in the AM.

But in the meantime...in case it's needed....  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40373 on: October 02, 2019, 10:00:11 pm »
Image trying to pass all that fibre!  :-[

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40374 on: October 02, 2019, 10:10:08 pm »
@bsl:

Or, you could just go back to whatever threads you like to hang out in most of the time and whine to yourselves rather than bring it here. But of course since I called tggzzz and his buddy Scram both out for acting like an ass, you felt it necessary to come down here and put me in my place.  :palm:

We WEREN’T talking about “the average user’s build” at the time in question (bean’s build), we were talking about building a high-end workstation for 8K video rendering and more. In bd’s case, I suggested a workload-appropriate Ryzen 3600 & X470 MB. Both your arguments are irrelevant.

For those playing along at home: This isn’t the first time tggzzz and Scram have tried to dogpile me and others. I’m just not interested today.

Thanks for playing,

mnem
*SMH*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf