Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17472504 times)

cyclin_al, Jambalaya, Runco990 and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32250 on: May 29, 2019, 10:48:32 pm »
Anyone fancy a Pizza? I wanna go here and eat a lovely fresh pizza and just soak up all of that lovely atmosphere and gorgeous rich sound. I had thought that the age of pipe organs had long gone. The last one I can remember seeing and hearing it being played was when I was a teenager IIRC, it was a Wurlitzer 3/19 built into the car showroom of a garage in Diss, Norfolk, UK, owned by the Kitchener Bros. Garage. I remember that well as I given a tour behind the scene to see the massive pipes and actual real life instruments like drums, piano, chimes etc., all hooked up to the massive main keyboard console.

It was just sheer joy to experience first hand the beautiful deep bass of those huge pipes, wasn't just hearing that bass, but actually feeling it as well as the entire showroom (could be turned into a theatre for live performances by visiting organists, and even featured on the BBC radio program "The Organist Entertains") was pressurised by this low frequency air coming from the pipes.

.......snip

Neat. Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan has 2 Hammond organs but not as complex as that one. Been to the Christmas show several times and they open it with the organs.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32251 on: May 29, 2019, 10:51:25 pm »
@med, that really is looking like a good project and what a massive size difference between the old caps and the new replacements. It should go on to give many years of use and enjoyment to you once completed, well done sir.  :clap: :clap:

Edit.
Are you going to test the old caps just to see how bad they are after all these years?

No testing as I cut the leads tight against the old part to give me enough to splice in the new capacitors. Yes, the size difference.....especially the HV caps...is amazing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:53:17 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32252 on: May 29, 2019, 11:25:33 pm »
Looking good  :-+

It always looks weird when you put the new caps in stuff these days. They're like Zoolander's phone.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32253 on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:19 am »

mnem
There's an app for that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:27:43 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32254 on: May 30, 2019, 12:27:39 am »
Edit.
Are you going to test the old caps just to see how bad they are after all these years?

I did, and the 2 orange one were fine. The rest was toasted.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32255 on: May 30, 2019, 12:38:19 am »
I'm SOOOOOOO Lucky!!! I went looking for the USB bug (one of those micro ones) for my mini all-in-one keyboard... and I FOUND it... RIGHT WHERE IT SHOULD BE!

mnem
    :scared:
*dancing a little jig*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32256 on: May 30, 2019, 01:00:56 am »

mnem
There's an app for that.

"That's what she said!"  :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32257 on: May 30, 2019, 01:11:35 am »
So I did good today. Got my hand on a working HP 8566B in really good shape for around 450$US. The spec an is in really good shape and spent most of it's life in a company making radars. So it was calibrated and maintained all theses years. The thing is huge heavy though. Not sure why the RF section is that heavy.

This is a signal at around 18Ghz.

The output of a comb generator from 2G to 22Ghz.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32258 on: May 30, 2019, 01:22:10 am »
WOW! That is a gorgeous example. Very good find.  :-+ The RF section of the 66 is definitely way heavier than the 68. Also, I recommend getting a set of rack handles. Makes moving it much easier. Since it's a 66B it *should* be all metric hardware.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32259 on: May 30, 2019, 01:23:46 am »
So I did good today. Got my hand on a working HP 8566B in really good shape for around 450$US. The spec an is in really good shape and spent most of it's life in a company making radars. So it was calibrated and maintained all theses years. The thing is huge heavy though. Not sure why the RF section is that heavy.

Oh yea! I used to use those all the time in the 'late 80s. We called them Super-Analyzers. Big beasts though. Nice green.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32260 on: May 30, 2019, 01:27:19 am »
Oh yea! I used to use those all the time in the 'late 80s. We called them Super-Analyzers. Big beasts though. Nice green.  :-+

Yep I really like the screen too. Super sharp. Way better than the Tektronix of that time.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32261 on: May 30, 2019, 01:27:36 am »
I recommend a tow motor for moving that beast.  :-DD

mnem
Also, lots of Wheaties.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32262 on: May 30, 2019, 01:31:09 am »
The technology HP introduced with the 66A and 68A, and subsequently the B models of the same, was so far ahead of it's time. The fact that they are still great spectrum analyzers today is a testament to that. Here's the issue of the -hp- journal from 1979 when the 66A came out: http://hparchive.com/Journals/HPJ-1979-08.pdf

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32263 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:07 am »
I don't see it so much as crossing a line as wandering into a large gray area.  I'm not going to pay a large sum of money for a Mac just so I can try it out.  So I thought it would be a sort of "try before you buy" situation to just install MacOS in a VM and play around a bit.  If it ever turned out that I decided I liked it and wanted to use it for more than just a few minutes or hours of playing around then I would buy a Mac.   

Just because Apple generally doesn't prosecute doesn't mean it's not illegal according to their T&C.   ;)  But seriously, installing it in a VM may be more trouble than you think.  Part of the prep for installing it on a vanilla PC involves making a bootable USB stick or custom image and then booting from that to do the install; and it's very difficult to make one on anything but a Mac (because the utilities are Mac-based, not because they're trying to stop you).  You just can't boot from a Mac image because the modified installation code must be able to identify the hardware configuration of the target machine, much like the Windoze installer operates.  It then inserts a custom DSDT into the boot space, which makes the installer think it's running on a Mac.  I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't know where to begin if I didn't have a Mac to create the installer.  I'm lazy, so I haven't investigated beyond something that just works for me.   :P

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32264 on: May 30, 2019, 02:32:13 am »
I'm SOOOOOOO Lucky!!! I went looking for the USB bug (one of those micro ones) for my mini all-in-one keyboard... and I FOUND it... RIGHT WHERE IT SHOULD BE!

mnem
    :scared:
*dancing a little jig*

Careful.  That could be Murphy doing the wind up.

Watch out for the pitch...!

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32265 on: May 30, 2019, 02:43:08 am »
Just found the waterfall mode in the 8566B. Look so 80s  ^-^

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32266 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:23 am »
Is that the downloadable program the sticker is talking about? How did you invoke it?

Also, another tip to save your crt: shift + g turns the crt beam off and shift + h turns it on again.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32267 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:30 am »
Just found the waterfall mode in the 8566B. Look so 80s  ^-^

I think I can see the graticule burn-in on that pic.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32268 on: May 30, 2019, 02:53:44 am »
I think I can see the graticule burn-in on that pic.  ;)

Yep just checked with a flashlight and yes it's burned a little bit. When the graticule is on you don't notice anyway  ;)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32269 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:11 am »
Is that the downloadable program the sticker is talking about? How did you invoke it?

They are DLP (downloadable program) demos. They use the cal signal to show off some features. Apparently you can make your own.

Shift + 101 + Hz = Total Harmonic Distortion
Shift + 102 + Hz = Monitor Signals
Shift + 103 + Hz = Waterfall Display

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, 0culus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32270 on: May 30, 2019, 03:00:47 am »

They are DLP (downloadable program) demos. They use the cal signal to show off some features. Apparently you can make your own.

Shift + 101 + Hz = Total Harmonic Distortion
Shift + 102 + Hz = Monitor Signals
Shift + 103 + Hz = Waterfall Display

Total Harmonic Distortion is pretty cool. Find and calculate 2e and 3e harmonic automatically and show the results in a nice format.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32271 on: May 30, 2019, 03:03:52 am »
Nice. Pics required!!  :-DMM  :-+

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32272 on: May 30, 2019, 03:06:05 am »
The technology HP introduced with the 66A and 68A, and subsequently the B models of the same, was so far ahead of it's time. The fact that they are still great spectrum analyzers today is a testament to that. Here's the issue of the -hp- journal from 1979 when the 66A came out: http://hparchive.com/Journals/HPJ-1979-08.pdf
I had no idea that this Mr. Linkwitz, who is widely known for his contributions to crossover networks, was (is?) a HP guy.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32273 on: May 30, 2019, 03:12:13 am »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32274 on: May 30, 2019, 03:13:25 am »
Wonder if the code for those is available anywhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf