Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17506336 times)

TERRA Operative, EggertEnjoyer123, Runco990, Rydda, wkb, rainbow, Robert763 and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31350 on: May 14, 2019, 10:35:48 pm »
Busy day here. Canada Post showed up. Crusty old Heath OL-1 Scope and Heath V-7A VTVM. Plus a bonus....a CT-1 probe!

They are crusty and neglected but I see potential. Nice long term project.

Kosmic.....thanks so much to be willing to take the time to send them to me. Your packaging was EXCELLENT. Took me forever to get all the bubble wrap off.  :-DD :-+ :-+

Ok, that is a really nice gratification for taking the e-trash off someone's hands!
Yeah and some people would rather ship their e-trash half way round the world rather send lead to their local ground fill site  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31351 on: May 14, 2019, 10:46:31 pm »
Yeah, I don't know how med found that. Talk about subtle!

Pure dumb luck and deductive reasoning. There was no short before I took apart. There was a short after I put it back together. Must have been something I did. Bingo.  :o
Wow now that's a learned engineers thinking that is, most" lowly technicians" if they get something to assemble and it doesn't work, automatically blame anything and everybody for it not working, couldn't possibly be something they did could it?  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31352 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:13 pm »
Busy day here. Canada Post showed up. Crusty old Heath OL-1 Scope and Heath V-7A VTVM. Plus a bonus....a CT-1 probe!

Kosmic.....thanks so much to be willing to take the time to send them to me. Your packaging was EXCELLENT. Took me forever to get all the bubble wrap off.  :-DD :-+ :-+

Excellent they made the trip in one piece  :-+ Always a pleasure encouraging someone with his TE Addiction   ^-^

The heathkit OL-1 was so dirty, he's the reason I didn't pay any tax at the border on my way back. I was able to convince the officers that it was just a pile of junk pointing at the poor little OL-1  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:04:52 am by Kosmic »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31353 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:17 pm »
Talk about "Jumped the Shark..."

Harley-Davidson is trying to sell us a $30,000 electric motorbecycle... Evidently they think they're effing Tesla or something.    :palm:

I built 5 or 6 of the damned things when I was a teenager, out of salvaged golf-cart bits. The whole point was that they were CHEAP.

None of mine had a gas tank, though.  :o

mnem

I will never forgive the corporate mucks at HD that bought Buell, pushed Erik Buell out, and then drove it into the ground.  They are undoubtably the same group of goofballs that came up with a $30K electric motorcycle.

* wch goes back into the basement, muttering the whole time.

specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31354 on: May 15, 2019, 12:01:31 am »
The other day I declared the 7A24 vertical plug-in as “unfixable” due to it's many contact issues with both channel 1 and 2 attenuator switch decks. Well stubborn me refused to give up. Either fix it or junk it, those were the alternatives. Or a 3rd alternative, perform a radical experiment and see if it works. Got nothing to lose. Well, the experiment worked. And after a minor detour with the +15V short here are some results. Rock steady with a 10MHz square wave.

I will be outlining in detail the method I used to restore the attenuator switch decks in a separate thread. And even though this is a 50 ohm deck it will also apply to the 1MEG decks. And it applies to all 7000 series plug-ins as well as scopes such as the 465/475/485 which use the same attenuator assembly. And I assume the 5000 series plug-ins use the same decks too.   

Nice work on the plugin and finding that short. I am not sure I would have figured that one out, even if I knew I was the source...

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31355 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:36 am »
My TEA confession for the day...

I am feeling guilty because I sold one of the nonworking Tek lab bench supplies for twice what I paid for it. A local responded to my CL ad (the one that says I want to *buy* test gear) and asked if I had a bench supply I'd sell. I told him I only had non-working gear. Long story short, I disclosed the probable problems on a CPS250 I had in the queue and priced it where I figured it wouldn't sell because I didn't really want to let it go. He bought it anyway.

To make up for it, I bought an HP54501A from the local university surplus department and paid twenty bucks too much for it. After I replace the NVRAM, the AC filter, and a couple of caps I will be lucky if I break even selling it.    :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31356 on: May 15, 2019, 12:32:44 am »

Harley-Davidson is trying to sell us a $30,000 electric motorbecycle... Evidently they think they're effing Tesla or something.    :palm:

I built 5 or 6 of the damned things when I was a teenager, out of salvaged golf-cart bits. The whole point was that they were CHEAP.

mnem

I will never forgive the corporate mucks at HD that bought Buell, pushed Erik Buell out, and then drove it into the ground.  They are undoubtably the same group of goofballs that came up with a $30K electric motorcycle.

Yeah, I thought he was batshit crazy trying to make a 2-stroke race engine out of a HD paint mixer; but the guy did it. Anybody with THAT kind of genius is just too fucking hip for the room.

mnem
"Valvespreengs?!? Weee donn' neeed no steenkeeeeng valve spreeengs!!!" ~ Erik Buell
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31357 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:50 am »

Excellent they made the trip in one piece  :-+ Always a pleasure encouraging someone with his TE Addiction   ^-^

The heathkit OL-1 was so dirty, he's the reason I didn't pay any tax at the border on my way back. I was able to convince the officers that it was just a pile of junk pointing at the poor little OL-1  :-DD

But.... I saw your trunk. Wasn't it legitimately ALL a pile of junk...?

*Ducks soggy ol' boot thrown from the Great White North*

mnem
DON'T make me come up there!!! :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31358 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:45 am »

mnem

Well yes and no. Not completely at least  :)

Definitely worth the time and money I spent going there anyway.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31359 on: May 15, 2019, 01:02:17 am »

mnem

Yeah, I thought he was batshit crazy trying to make a 2-stroke race engine out of a HD paint mixer; but the guy did it. Anybody with THAT kind of genius is just too fucking hip for the room.

mnem
"Valvespreengs?!? Weee donn' neeed no steenkeeeeng valve spreeengs!!!" ~ Erik Buell

In a past life, I liked to go fast and low. One day at work, another motorcycle fiend dropped a copy of Motorcycle News at my spot; the lead story had a photo of a pre-production Buell Thunderbolt. I bought one sight unseen and got a red one, SN 48. It was closer to a track than street machine and kinda rough around the edges. They were still doing ECOs two years later.  And it was a joy in the turns, low and rumbly, and a home mechanic's dream to work on. I think it was the first bike that I broke 110MPH on, on a flat empty road somewhere in southern Colorado.  That was 1995. I was still riding it in 2013 when I got T-boned by a teenager driving a Suburban and texting at the same time.  Totaled the bike and damn near killed me.

Man, that was a fun ride.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31360 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:33 am »
Got a Tek CDC250 175 MHz freq. counter coming out of the stack shown. Nothing really special about it, but I have a small collection of the units that Tek made using the same case style such as the DMM, Function Gen., and 1.3 GHz freq. counter. For $55 might as well add this one to the family. Only missing the fuse and power cord says the seller.

CDC250
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31361 on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:01 am »
My TEA confession for the day...

I am feeling guilty because I sold one of the nonworking Tek lab bench supplies for twice what I paid for it. A local responded to my CL ad (the one that says I want to *buy* test gear) and asked if I had a bench supply I'd sell. I told him I only had non-working gear. Long story short, I disclosed the probable problems on a CPS250 I had in the queue and priced it where I figured it wouldn't sell because I didn't really want to let it go. He bought it anyway.

Well I don't think you need to feel bad because you got a good deal. Maybe he really wanted that CPS250  :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31362 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:03 am »
Got a Tek CDC250 175 MHz freq. counter coming out of the stack shown. Nothing really special about it, but I have a small collection of the units that Tek made using the same case style such as the DMM, Function Gen., and 1.3 GHz freq. counter. For $55 might as well add this one to the family. Only missing the fuse and power cord says the seller.

CDC250

Nice little counter.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31363 on: May 15, 2019, 01:34:46 am »

Its a nice workaday FC. I have one on my bench and use it a lot.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31364 on: May 15, 2019, 01:36:06 am »

mnem

Well yes and no. Not completely at least  :)

Definitely worth the time and money I spent going there anyway.

Yea, there was a Tek 485 hidden in that pile of crap. BTW.....does it work?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31365 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:48 am »
Yea, there was a Tek 485 hidden in that pile of crap. BTW.....does it work?  :-//

Nope, will need to fix it. Physically in really good shape though.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #31366 on: May 15, 2019, 01:49:46 am »
The HP 427A I picked up needs a bit of TLC, overall its in good condition, but I found one shorted AE cap, so going to replace them all, only 8 caps total.  Someone built a replica AC power supply for it that matches the option 01 schematic, but the secondary of the transformer they used is a bit on the low side.  I'm going to build a small regulated 20v linear internal supply.  Sorry I don't have photos right now, Ill post some of it all torn apart later.

Been waiting for a good HP 4329a high resistance meter to show up.  Found one today and snatched it.  This is a cool piece of kit, becuse you never know when you need to measure up to 20 Peta Ohms  ;D

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31367 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:42 am »
This is a cool piece of kit, becuse you never know when you need to measure up to 20 Peta Ohms  ;D

Yes very cool. Reminds of the old joke -

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31368 on: May 15, 2019, 02:02:08 am »
Non Productive Afternoon  :palm:

So many interesting data type channels to look at more closely around 433 >:D

Haha, TEAstraction, indeed. Looking forward to hearing about what you find (if you haven't already posted about it and I'm about to find it in the subsequent two pages).

Need to work on decoding it but given the proximity I suspect it may be remote telemetry for either the Water Board or Powdered milk factory.

Arrival of the new long whip Nagoya knock off Antenna for the HH which for $2 AUD is a bargain and poos on the stock Baofeng ones. Got paid for a job so I blew a chunk of it on a Discone and Coax today for good measure.

Next Stop HF Rig and Mast  :palm: No No No  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #31369 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:49 am »
Next Stop HF Rig and Mast  :palm: No No No  :-DD

Like this;

Or maybe;

Yes, that's me on the top 20m 6ele Telrex, had to climb out to the driven ele and replace a burnt N due to lightning;

The following users thanked this post: bd139, syau

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31370 on: May 15, 2019, 02:27:27 am »
I think I will just stick to Bands where the Antennas won't overhang the 50' wide block of dirt my Shack sits on  ;)

Todays TEA arrival came with added mineral oil splooge dribbling from it's wells. Also a smashed Fuse holder and it may or may not work as per the listing and it is also a 110V device so not a lot going for it so far at least.

Edit: And two missing feet lucky I know a guy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:29:08 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31371 on: May 15, 2019, 02:33:48 am »
Yes, that's me on the top 20m 6ele Telrex, had to climb out to the driven ele and replace a burnt N due to lightning;
FYI FmyI what's the optimum distance between climbing spikes ?

BTW you can stick your 20m that's way to high for me these days.  :scared:

We stuck a 8m timber pole in up our hill for a point to point 11 GHz data backhaul and the guy that helped me stuck the climbing spikes all over the place.  :palm: I reckon he'd never used a ruler or did 'on the job' division.  :rant:
He had no excuses as the pole was on the ground and now with 6m standing it looks just sick.  >:(
Edit.
Pics when it's finished coming later.
/Edit
Apparently we're gunna do another a couple of km away to beam a 5 GHz link into some 'RF hidden' country and it would be good to have that one look a bit better.  :) 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:38:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31372 on: May 15, 2019, 02:49:05 am »
Well, I got most of my lab to a safe place where movers won't be able to touch it with their grubby hands when that time comes around. I have a lot of *heavy* RF gear.  :-DD ....and my body is telling me about it the next day after moving it all.  >:D

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31373 on: May 15, 2019, 02:49:52 am »
The DSOX1204G scope from Keysight arrived today.  I've been glued to it every extra minute I could get. 

I've been doing a side by side of the DSOX1204G with my DS1054z.   Yep, the Keysight is faster on almost everything except boot up.  The Rigol is about 4 seconds faster.  I know these are not in the same league with each other, but this is letting me see the differences. 

I do seem to like the UI on the Keysight a lot more.

Well, Back to playing. 
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31374 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:50 am »

mnem
In a past life, I liked to go fast and low. One day at work, another motorcycle fiend dropped a copy of Motorcycle News at my spot; the lead story had a photo of a pre-production Buell Thunderbolt. I bought one sight unseen and got a red one, SN 48. It was closer to a track than street machine and kinda rough around the edges. They were still doing ECOs two years later.  And it was a joy in the turns, low and rumbly, and a home mechanic's dream to work on. I think it was the first bike that I broke 110MPH on, on a flat empty road somewhere in southern Colorado.  That was 1995. I was still riding it in 2013 when I got T-boned by a teenager driving a Suburban and texting at the same time.  Totaled the bike and damn near killed me.

Man, that was a fun ride.

For me, it was a shiny new Kenny Roberts Edition GPZ1100. We had.... an unnatural relationship. ;) I rode the wheels off that bike several times over; literally wore it out. I punched it out 3 times; rode it one last summer and sold it when I moved. To this day, I regret not keeping it and buying new jugs & heads.  |O

After that I got a good-paying job and a second-hand Corvette and started living the 60s iron & weekend warrior life; Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles and a 12-second '67 Chevy Nova.

I bought a 900 Ninja in my 30s... it was a completely different animal; skittish and jumpy, there was no getting a handle on it. It felt more like riding a 500 trip on nitrous (which I HAVE done) than anything I considered a proper motorcycle. I rode it for a couple months and got to where I thought I knew it... but one fast weekend on some nice twisty highways with some younger friends made me realize it wasn't the bike, it was me. I'd been away too long, I'd lost my reflexes and riding the razor's edge was the not-so-fun kind of scary... I took it back to the dealership the next morning.

mnem
"Life is a blind run at full speed along the jagged edge of a cliff; when we're young we don't know the cliff, we only know the joy of running."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:19:58 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf