Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16627962 times)

Wolfgang, Barbouri, factory and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27475 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:46 am »
Well, it had to happen eventually. The 8664A sig gen I bought arrived with severe damage. The unit had to have been dropped from some height, because the right rack handle is destroyed and the RF output is bent severely.
   The obvious damage. The other rack handle is bent too. The instrument seems functional, but it had a message "hardware failure 8" which is now gone, that I am trying to find a definition of.

Hoo booy... that blows. Hope you get lots of money back on the shipping claim.

Good luck!!!

mnem
Needs more cowbell.

Yeah. I am going to examine it thoroughly before making a send back decision. I think I'd rather get some money refunded and keep it, because so far, it appears that rack handle absorbed the brunt of the damage. I was able to bend back the bracket the N connector is mounted on.

It's a busted up precision instrument. I'd say it's a total loss and any use you get out of it beyond that is luck.

It's functioning perfectly fine. I've exercised all the functions with my 8566A and things appear to be fine on that front. If all I need to do to fix it is a $40 pair of 4U rack handles plus a bit of refund from the seller, I'll consider it a win.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27476 on: March 19, 2019, 01:07:58 am »
Don't ask for a refund from the seller. Take lots of pictures; of the box, inside the box, how the box & packing is damaged, and the article itself. Send them to him, and ask him to initiate the shipping damage claim process. Then see what he offers.

With all the muppets on fleaBay and slAmazon, etc... I've gotten in the habit of taking copious numbers of photos of ANY package that arrives ANYTHING NOT PERFECTLY INTACT. BEFORE I MAKE THE FIRST CUT. Then more pictures as I "peel the onion".

mnem
*adjustment*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:18:46 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27477 on: March 19, 2019, 01:10:17 am »
Yeah. I am going to examine it thoroughly before making a send back decision. I think I'd rather get some money refunded and keep it, because so far, it appears that rack handle absorbed the brunt of the damage. I was able to bend back the bracket the N connector is mounted on.

It's functioning perfectly fine. I've exercised all the functions with my 8566A and things appear to be fine on that front. If all I need to do to fix it is a $40 pair of 4U rack handles plus a bit of refund from the seller, I'll consider it a win.
What about the twisted output?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27478 on: March 19, 2019, 01:14:14 am »

It's a busted up precision instrument. I'd say it's a total loss and any use you get out of it beyond that is luck.

Assuming HP were still using a similar casting material it responds well to moderate heat and mild pressure. So no smacking it with a hammer but leverage and a Butane torch should get it straight. In case you haven't seen it https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hewlett-packard-740b-dc-standard-digital-voltmeter-(and-740a)/msg1419955/#msg1419955

Some of the parts at the break had to be straightened prior to being joined.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27479 on: March 19, 2019, 01:19:23 am »
All this bread was making me hungry - but the Danish pushed me over the edge.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27480 on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:37 am »
What, did no one notice that we are now at page 1100 after just 27 months since the TEA thread was first kicked of by bitseeker, little did he realise what a monster he created that fateful day, 16th January 2017  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27481 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:07 am »
Well, it had to happen eventually. The 8664A sig gen I bought arrived with severe damage. The unit had to have been dropped from some height, because the right rack handle is destroyed and the RF output is bent severely.
   The obvious damage. The other rack handle is bent too. The instrument seems functional, but it had a message "hardware failure 8" which is now gone, that I am trying to find a definition of.

Hoo booy... that blows. Hope you get lots of money back on the shipping claim.

Good luck!!!

mnem
Needs more cowbell.
Oh,my word, what a bummer that is. Was a local ebay purchase or was on their GSP scheme from an international seller?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27482 on: March 19, 2019, 01:28:08 am »
Good thing about making Danish Dough is it takes a heap of energy and time to make so there is only a 'small' weight gain when consuming a sample one  ;D

Process, make dough, knock back, flatten out add LOTS OF BUTTER slices, roll and fold multiple times, refrigerate, roll and fold multiple times, refrigerate, roll and fold multiple times, refrigerate, roll and fold multiple times, refrigerate, roll out into a slab and cut to portion sizes and use or freeze for later reuse. 5 or 6 hours in bursts.

I miss the result but not the process.  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #27483 on: March 19, 2019, 01:28:48 am »
... and we're back to binary page numbers for a little while.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #27484 on: March 19, 2019, 01:32:47 am »

Doesn't seem like so many pages now.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27485 on: March 19, 2019, 01:36:22 am »
Doesn't seem like so many pages now.  :-DD

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who don't understand binary, and those who get their heads bashed in with a chair for being insufferable about it.  :-DD

mnem
Dammitt; where's my chair...?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:32:51 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27486 on: March 19, 2019, 01:41:24 am »
Nearly into the Top 10 Topics (by Views) but languishing near the bottom of most thanked threads.  :-//

Who hasn't thanked the OP bitseeker ?   :rant:  Get onto it !  :horse:

Anyone not see their names here  >:D

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, Kosmic, umbro, slbender, + the formally recalcitrant ones Oculus,  Specmaster
Well, before the local bullies turn to the second tier...
(even Electro Detective, that ole' Multimeter Molester is there - fuh)
Whats this about me being recalcitrant, did I miss the party 3 line whip or something then  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27487 on: March 19, 2019, 01:49:56 am »
Do you NOT SEE YOUR NAME HERE  :horse:  Please add your thanks to this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1114480/#msg1114480

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, PA0PBZ, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, nfmax, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, Neomys Sapiens, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, URI, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, grizewald, Kosmic, GregDunn, umbro, slbender, grbk, 0culus

MIA Specmaster  :-//

Please feel free to ACT or suffer from a suitable taunting.  >:D

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:14:13 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27488 on: March 19, 2019, 01:51:36 am »
My name isn't in there either. Someone will have to assume the role of contrarian, won't they?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27489 on: March 19, 2019, 01:55:38 am »
My name isn't in there either. Someone will have to assume the role of contrarian, won't they?

TAUTECH the thread Whip will be around for a chat soon  :-DD

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27490 on: March 19, 2019, 01:59:49 am »
The following users thanked this post: all_repair, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, Kosmic, umbro, slbender, Oculus, Specmaster + the formally recalcitrant ones: Oculus, Specmaster, Cerebus

*sigh*   Miss your wit, ya cagey ol' reprobate. *Raises a glass of Apricot brandy to absent friends*

mnem
*toddles off to do battle with the JENGA-fied Garage of Doom*

I second that, it was quite a jousting match between the pair of at time, and I loved the short comic strip you did   :-+

Yeah, good times. *joins in the glass raising*
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27491 on: March 19, 2019, 02:04:13 am »
Do you NOT SEE YOUR NAME HERE  :horse:  Please like this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1114480/#msg1114480

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, PA0PBZ, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, nfmax, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, Neomys Sapiens, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, URI, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, grizewald, Kosmic, GregDunn, umbro, slbender, grbk, 0culus

MIA Specmaster  :-//

Please feel free to LIKE this post or suffer from a suitable taunting.  >:D

I couldn't find the [LIKE] button, but I tried. Am I still taunted? Because I'm totes okay widdat...  :-DD

mnem
"This fork, it mocks me; it mocks me and I am mocked."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:08:04 pm by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27492 on: March 19, 2019, 02:06:19 am »
Edited post from farcebook to SMF speak  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27493 on: March 19, 2019, 02:07:06 am »
Thanks, Martin. It's been a long time since I've run a plotter. I have an HP plotter that's very similar to yours, but no knob on the front. Apparently, you can adapt a vinyl cutter knife holder for use as a ballpoint pen holder.

That knob at left side is a mod from the pre owner, for adjust the pressure of the pen (or cutter).
7475A have no knob there. This is one.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation. It certainly looked unusual with that knob. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27494 on: March 19, 2019, 02:13:09 am »
one thing I used to do a lot, but alas no longer really is make bread. Can't beat it. Plus there's something scientificy and engineeringy about it. Last attempt a couple of years back:

Mmm, yeah. I made some nice sourdough a few years ago. Keeping the starter going, though, requires making yummy bread on a regular basis, which means eating more of it on a regular basis, which tends to result in gaining weight. Alas, all of the above were not sustainable. But I do love me some hot, fresh sourdough, crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Mmm, mmm, good!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27495 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:11 am »
Edited post from farcebook to SMF speak  :palm:

Umm... I couldn't find the 2nd [LIKE] button either... may I keep my taunting? I feel like I've kindof earned it now...  :-DD

mnem

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27496 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:21 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, GregDunn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27497 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:31 am »

Sorry to hear that, 0culus. It's never a good day when TEA goes overboard.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, InductorbackEMF, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27498 on: March 19, 2019, 02:28:37 am »

Sorry to hear that, 0culus. It's never a good day when TEA goes overboard.

Thanks,

it looks like it could have been much worse. Guy in my thread on the HPAK mailing list sent pictures of his that was shipped without the rack handles installed with crappy packing. The whole lower left corner was just violated. On mine, the rack handle took the brunt of the impact and saved the chassis.

What about the twisted output?

The connector itself and the hardline coax appear to be fine. Only the mounting bracket was bent. I was able to bend it back with some tools and a piece of scrap leather to prevent scratches/gouges.

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27499 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:32 am »
Nearly into the Top 10 Topics (by Views) but languishing near the bottom of most thanked threads.  :-//Who hasn't thanked the OP bitseeker ?   :rant:  Get onto it !  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, Kosmic, umbro, slbender, + the formally recalcitrant ones Oculus,  Specmaster
Whats this about me being recalcitrant, did I miss the party 3 line whip or something then  :-DD

Recalcitrant... recidivist... You say mash, I say topatoes.  :-DD

mnem
'tis crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide..."

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf