Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16624811 times)

samofab and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27375 on: March 18, 2019, 04:08:47 am »
Looks like a handheld scope.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27376 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:52 am »
I knew a guy who used an nspire. Kind of a neat machine, but it's to the point of I'd rather use a computer with Maple, MATLAB or at least decent open source alternatives (of which there are a few).

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27377 on: March 18, 2019, 04:18:40 am »
my hard working oldie laboratory is proudly presenting

THE PLOTTER MOVIE  ^-^

Please do not watch it by handy when you have to pay for the download data, it requires 1GB. (we love full HD + quality)

http://www.wellenkino.de/video/54601A_7475A.mp4

greetings
Martin

That is positively delicious. One doesn't usually think "organic" when talking about printers, but plotters are the exception that proves the rule. I love 'em in all their incarnations.

Well played!  :-+

Nobody hates a kitten.

One pissed in my scope once and then went for my eldest and scratched her face up. She was 1. That was the last cat we ever had. Fuck cats and kittens. Nasty nasty animals. They kill all the wildlife, bring dead stuff into the house and carry nasty diseases like toxoplasma gondii, leave hairs over everything, walk all over your shit while you're in the middle of it and cost a fortune to keep running.

I like my neighbor's cat. She runs over to greet me when I get home from work. I play with her when I'm out working in the yard. I don't have to feed her or take her to the vet. She doesn't climb on my stuff, pee in my ear when I'm sleeping, leave hairballs in the middle of the hall, etc., etc. It is an ideal way to "have" a pet. 8)

I like my neighbor's kids for analogous reasons.  ;D

I'll bring mine over to your house and they can all have a play date.  :-DD

mnem
"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children."

As long as you take 'em home again, I am good with that.  :-+
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27378 on: March 18, 2019, 04:28:17 am »
I spent a couple of hours building the TM500 extender kit and tomorrow will resume working my way through the pile of plug-ins I've acquired over the last couple of months. It will be such a pleasure to not have to work on stuff while it is in the frame. And it should distract me from looking for a level sine generator and oscilloscope to add to the mix, at least for a week or two.  Plus it will be a good way to warm up before tackling the 475A rehab, including the dreaded hunt-the-tants step.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27379 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:19 am »
I knew a guy who used an nspire. Kind of a neat machine, but it's to the point of I'd rather use a computer with Maple, MATLAB or at least decent open source alternatives (of which there are a few).

I had one of the earlier nSpire CAS machines. The one with the green buttons. It was like using medical equipment not a calculator. Didn’t like the interface at all!

I was actually given it by a TI89 user who didn’t like it and went back to his TI89.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27380 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:55 am »
Nearly into the Top 10 Topics (by Views) but languishing near the bottom of most thanked threads.  :-//

Who hasn't thanked the OP bitseeker ?   :rant:  Get onto it !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27381 on: March 18, 2019, 07:50:58 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132795146843

Here's one for you calcnutters...  >:D

mnem
"Can you link me the MAN pages on that?"  :palm:
Wow that looks very interesting indeed but I bet that it could be a real bastard as well with dodgy contacts to the keyboards hmm.... [emoji848]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27382 on: March 18, 2019, 07:53:54 am »
Nearly into the Top 10 Topics (by Views) but languishing near the bottom of most thanked threads.  :-//

Can't do that on my phone via Tapatalk [emoji48]
Plus I expect that we all tend to say thanks directly in messages rather than with the link?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:56:08 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27383 on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:50 am »

Anyone not see their names here  >:D

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, Kosmic, umbro, slbender, + the formally recalcitrant ones Oculus,  Specmaster
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:55:42 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, bitseeker

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27384 on: March 18, 2019, 07:56:35 am »

Yeah, you're not in the thanker list..............fix that will ya !  :horse:  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:27:42 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27385 on: March 18, 2019, 07:58:21 am »

Yeah, you're not in the thanker list..............fit that will ya !  :horse:  :-DD
Can put that right once I fire my desktop up later [emoji91]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27386 on: March 18, 2019, 08:00:09 am »

I had one of the earlier nSpire CAS machines. The one with the green buttons. It was like using medical equipment not a calculator. Didn’t like the interface at all!

I was actually given it by a TI89 user who didn’t like it and went back to his TI89.

Hah! I wonder why...   :-DD I think these kind of calculators (HP has a similar one out, the HP Prime) are bordering on overkill for a handheld device. If I'm doing things that require those capabilities in a calculator, I'm probably going to choose to use a computer and much more capable software. [edit] things like solving systems of differential equations...fuck doing that on a calculator. Maple all the way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:05:25 am by 0culus »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27387 on: March 18, 2019, 08:04:11 am »
For the record, I did thank the OP.  :)

You can check out but you can never leave!!!  :box:  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27388 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:32 am »

Yeah, you're not in the thanker list..............fit that will ya !  :horse:  :-DD
Can put that right once I fire my desktop up later [emoji91]
Then all will be forgiven.  :-*  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #27389 on: March 18, 2019, 08:18:17 am »
I got me a winner!

Restored my HP 4276A LCZ meter and went so far as to recreate an option board for it from scratch and service manual schematics.
It all seems to work well which came as a surprise..... :D

Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bd139, PrecisionAnalytic, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27390 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:53 am »
I saw your thread in the repair forum; that is a very nice specimen. I've been thinking that I need a good LCR/Z meter for my lab...that or something from GenRad is high on my list.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27391 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:55 am »
I like my neighbor's cat. She runs over to greet me when I get home from work. I play with her when I'm out working in the yard. I don't have to feed her or take her to the vet. She doesn't climb on my stuff, pee in my ear when I'm sleeping, leave hairballs in the middle of the hall, etc., etc. It is an ideal way to "have" a pet. 8)
As a fellow proprietor of a Timeshare Kitty, I heartily concur!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27392 on: March 18, 2019, 09:42:42 am »
Subject: "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I completely agree with and endorse this general rule. But like every rule there are exceptions. IMHO here are 2 exceptions....

The Tek 2445/2465/2467 PSU. Due to it's design troubleshooting this PSU in place is a near impossible task. And to troubleshoot it outside the case would require an extensive array of load resistors. I think it's prudent to do a complete re-cap of both the Inverter/Regulator boards as insurance against failure. It's a lot of capacitors and it's time consuming. But the results are worth it. I've done it twice now and in both cases the operation was successful and the patient lived.

I've done three now. In the first a Rifa shorted, detonating the series resistor. While in there, I replaced the electrolytics. In the other two I replaced the Rifas before they detonated, and did the electrolytics at the same time.

I've also replaced the A5 SMD electrolytics (and a surprisingly-far-away resistor).

But I haven't replaced any other components on the various boards, unless they were demonstrably faulty.

Tek 4XX beaded tantalum capacitors. I agree with mnem. They are the devil and kill kittens. In my limited experience with these scopes I've had 3 short and 1 explode. As a result I give them no quarter. They have to go. Tomorrow I will start on the newly acquired 475A despite the fact that it works perfectly. I want to have some assurance and confidence that it will continue to do so.

I've had one 15V tant on a 13V line go in a 485. Other than that I've had more problems with conventional electrolytics including some of the obscenely expensive axial tants spewing track-destroying crap.

I'll replace the tant beads as part of fault localisation, but not more.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27393 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:47 am »
Yeah the axial tants (solid) are nasty. They tend to explode I find. They burn up before they explode so you can replace them if you keep an eye out. Also damn expensive to replace so they just get electrolytics in there.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27394 on: March 18, 2019, 09:53:21 am »
Yeah the axial tants (solid) are nasty. They tend to explode I find. They burn up before they explode so you can replace them if you keep an eye out. Also damn expensive to replace so they just get electrolytics in there.

If I limited myself to the in-stock items, I would have needed a couple of these: were https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/vishay-sprague/M39006-22-0554/1012-1009-ND/2773715 At a mere £45 each, I think damn expensive is an understatement.

Even such axial electrolytics are a pain to find.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27395 on: March 18, 2019, 10:04:16 am »
You can usually find them on ebay for around £4 a go which is much more reasonable but still to expensive and you don't know where they have been.

Have a look for Vishay 021 ASM on CPC. Affordable axials. £0.85 a go for a 220uF 40V one in same dimensions which may do the job ok. If I need lower ESR I stick a 100n to 1uF X7R ceramic across them under the board. If the feedback loop of whatever it is across is well compensated it works fine.

https://cpc.farnell.com/vishay/mal202137221e3/capacitor-220uf-40v/dp/CA05088
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:07:14 am by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27396 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:18 pm »
I agree with McCoy... unless you can separate out all the lipid cells and put me back together allright widdout 'em, not the least bit interested in having my atoms scattered across the void. Also, GQ and just enough brandy to get giggly is still one of my "guilty pleasures". ;)

mnem
Also Spaceballs.  :P
Not forgetting Ice Pirates just don't catch Space Herpes while watching :-DD

Yes... one of the MANY skeletons in Robert Urich's closet.  But it's a cheesy-fun skeleton. ;)

He was another who subscribed to Henry Fonda's philosophy: "An actor is only an actor when he's acting. The rest of the time he's a bum."

I'll bring mine over to your house and they can all have a play date.  :-DD

mnem
"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children."
As long as you take 'em home again, I am good with that.  :-+

LOL... that is remarkably optimistic of you. There are days when I'd just as soon send them anywhere via Elbonia Airlines. :-DD

mnem
"I love my children... I love my children... I love my children..." *twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27397 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:12 pm »

Haha, fixed that and checked that one off my TDL, all done now  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:51:11 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27398 on: March 18, 2019, 01:06:20 pm »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132795146843

Here's one for you calcnutters...  >:D

mnem
"Can you link me the MAN pages on that?"  :palm:
Wow that looks very interesting indeed but I bet that it could be a real bastard as well with dodgy contacts to the keyboards hmm.... [emoji848]

Yeah, but the idea of a different physical interface depending on application is actually pretty interesting. And it looks like it's about as well-engineered as it could be, given the realities of mass-production. I'm just thankful I don't have a NEED for such things anymore. :P There's a whole wiki on the damn things... a pretty interesting niche, specifically designed for school use, even to the point of having a "testing" mode where access to a users macros and scripting is completely disabled for a period of time. Of course, like any customizable tool, you find uses for it long after you leave the halls of academe.  ;)

Dunno that it will be possible to raise that by much... the "Thanks!" list is based upon "unique user" count, and while we may be one of the most prolific threads on Dave's blog, this is pretty much entirely the work of a very few, very noisy individuals with entirely too much free unallocated time on their hands.  >:D

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:32:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27399 on: March 18, 2019, 01:31:13 pm »
Anyone not see their names here  >:D
The following users thanked this post: all_repair, TiN, videobruce, StuUK, hammy, xrunner, JoeO, AF6LJ, tautech, saposoft, zucca, RJFreeman, blueskull, Brumby, nugglix, sixtimesseven, gnavigator1007, jakeisprobably, mnementh, neo, Daruosha, AlanS, CalMachine, bjcuizon, frozenfrogz, Jacon, Electro Detective, cosenmarco, bd139, CNe7532294, beanflying, imo, Manuauto, tardsat, Kosmic, umbro, slbender, Oculus, Specmaster + the formally recalcitrant ones: Oculus, Specmaster, Cerebus

*sigh*   Miss your wit, ya cagey ol' reprobate. *Raises a glass of Apricot brandy to absent friends*

mnem
*toddles off to do battle with the JENGA-fied Garage of Doom*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:21:44 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf