Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16633509 times)

rivedino and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27150 on: March 13, 2019, 03:43:41 pm »
Bd: I would change those RIFA caps anyway. Just like old beaded tants just waiting to ruin your day. And wasn't it you that just said you want to TEA and not fix stuff? Practice what you preach!  :-DD

Case swapped over on this new 2430. On bench going through a mandatory burn-in to shake out any issues. Looks good so far. I'll futz with the bent BNC's later.

Gotta RTFM to figure out all the functions.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27151 on: March 13, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
Oh boo and the horse you rode in on.  >:D :-DD
@Med I will post you a little baggy of these you can insert into places on an Mnementh Voodoo Doll you feel appropriate  >:D
   No, that's OK. I'd get a lot more pleasure stuffing this guy full of firecrackers and lighting the fuse.  >:D :-+ :-DD
Besides... med would derive much greater pleasure from those things using them for their intended purpose. Probably even more than from destroying TANTS VADER!!!  :-DD

mnem
*Sent by microwaving a 8mm wrench*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27152 on: March 13, 2019, 04:09:59 pm »
Screen bleed is somewhat exaggerated in that picture due to the angle I was taking the photo at (on my lap). If you look at it straight on it's fine.

Upto to the time you, like me managed to fuck the last 3478A, how does this one compare to that one? Is this one a long term keeper or what? [emoji848]

Hmm... I wish I had some new toys to play with, but I suppose patience is a virtue and I'll will find that elusive bargain soon. [emoji48]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:14:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27153 on: March 13, 2019, 04:18:56 pm »
Anything Reversed and Polish just isn't right and you get messy hands from trying it seems ;D

When I was visiting Copenhagen, that's how they served hot dogs...outside the bun.
That's because in places where they take hot dogs seriously, and they aren't just trash food, you usually put condiments on the bun, then the dog, then you have room for your toppings like kraut, cheese, and/or chili/meat sauce.

"Frog dogs" (ketchup, mayo, relish, mustard in stripes which look like a frog's back) on top of the heavy toppings are more of a Jersey thang.

mnem
*Sabrett's dirty-water dogs FTW!!!*
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:06:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27154 on: March 13, 2019, 04:30:25 pm »
Screen bleed is somewhat exaggerated in that picture due to the angle I was taking the photo at (on my lap). If you look at it straight on it's fine.

Upto to the time you, like me managed to fuck the last 3478A, how does this one compare to that one? Is this one a long term keeper or what? [emoji848]

Hmm... I wish I had some new toys to play with, but I suppose patience is a virtue and I'll will find that elusive bargain soon. [emoji48]

This will be a long term keeper. I need it for the next two projects I'm working on. Firstly for the AC bandwidth and secondly the high Zin on mV range. This one is slightly less good condition than the last one if I'm honest and wasn't really a bargain but cheaper than a SDM3055  :-DD

Sure there will be a bargain along soon.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27155 on: March 13, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »
Follow ups:

The Sony Receiver. Has been in continuous operation for 48 hours and no protect mode. Not sure if I can call this one fixed just yet. I won't be seeing my Brother for a few months so what I'm going to do is put it away for a week or so. Then get it out and repeat a burn-in. Do this several times. If it doesn't protect mode after all that then I can call it fixed.

Tek 2430. Working fine although the fan has an annoying high pitched whine. And I can see why it's such a big fan. This puppy throws a lot of heat. Not surprising considering how packed it is. I don't recall the other one having that whine so I'm going to swap them. And fix the BNC's. This is about the 3rd purchase in a row from Ebay where they have been screaming good deals.  :-+ I have no secret, it's been pure luck.  :-//   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:34:52 pm by med6753 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27156 on: March 13, 2019, 06:41:10 pm »

This will be a long term keeper. I need it for the next two projects I'm working on. Firstly for the AC bandwidth and secondly the high Zin on mV range. This one is slightly less good condition than the last one if I'm honest and wasn't really a bargain but cheaper than a SDM3055  :-DD

But the SDM3055 has such a purdy face.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27157 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »
Follow up:

The Sony Receiver. Has been in continuous operation for 48 hours and no protect mode. Not sure if I can call this one fixed just yet. I won't be seeing my Brother for a few months so what I'm going to do is put it away for a week or so. Then get it out and repeat a burn-in. Do this several times. If it doesn't protect mode after all that then I can call it fixed.

Not sure if I missed it or not, what with the turmoil thats been going on in my house of late, means that I'm playing catch up. What did you find the problem was, was just bad joints?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27158 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:48 pm »

But the SDM3055 has such a purdy face.  :-DD

Who said it was a purdy face, its a face that only its Mother could love.

Now diving for cover and slamming the hatch down and locking it to escape from that well used soggy wellington boot.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27159 on: March 13, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »
LMAO.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27160 on: March 13, 2019, 07:01:53 pm »
This morning, I found this, along with a stack of other test equipment, in a shed about five miles south of here:

I bought the differential amp, a HP6236B, a box full of tektronix 50 ohm BNC terminations, attenuators, calibration fixtures, N type adapters, and RG174 pigtails,

along with a bag on JANX 2N1485 NOS transistors for 240USD.  Apparently it is part of a ex-tek engineer hoard; I am waiting for photos of the other bins.  The DM1855A was last calibrated in 2015, and other than the ding and busted button, appears to be in good working order.

This is how it starts, isn't it?  ::)

specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27161 on: March 13, 2019, 07:05:26 pm »
Follow up:

Not sure if I missed it or not, what with the turmoil thats been going on in my house of late, means that I'm playing catch up. What did you find the problem was, was just bad joints?

Nothing absolute that shouted "that's it!". I did resolder over two dozen joints. The only real suspicious one I found was an incomplete fillet around one of the output bias resistors but the joint wasn't cold nor cracked, just incomplete. My other thought was perhaps one of the numerous connectors wasn't tight or was slightly corroded and working them cleaned it up. Other than that your guess is as good as mine.  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27162 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:42 pm »
This morning, I found this, along with a stack of other test equipment, in a shed about five miles south of here:

I bought the differential amp, a HP6236B, a box full of tektronix 50 ohm BNC terminations, attenuators, calibration fixtures, N type adapters, and RG174 pigtails,

along with a bag on JANX 2N1485 NOS transistors for 240USD.  Apparently it is part of a ex-tek engineer hoard; I am waiting for photos of the other bins.  The DM1855A was last calibrated in 2015, and other than the ding and busted button, appears to be in good working order.

Nice haul, especially those terminators and attenuators.  :-+ :-+ I am jealous. Those things are worth a mint.  :o

Edit...and yes, you are well on your way.......

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:16:02 pm by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27163 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:49 pm »
Don't ya just hate it when you don't find the smoking gun, in my case it was crystal clear because by flexing the pcb it was possible to make and break the contacts with much crackling in the speakers, reflowing the joints resolved the problem completely and long burn in tests proved it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27164 on: March 13, 2019, 07:37:28 pm »

Nice haul, especially those terminators and attenuators.  :-+ :-+ I am jealous. Those things are worth a mint.  :o

yeah... i had to take a deep breath when i saw the attenuators. they alone were worth the trip. which is kind of weird given what i paid for the differential amp. 

side note: i sent an email to teledyne lecroy support and they sent me the complete service manual about ten minutes later. how awesome is that?
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27165 on: March 13, 2019, 07:58:19 pm »
@med6753: we have 20% sales tax on everything. Then duty on top if it's imported. There's a massive black market here, and some friggery via Amazon though which gets around that. Then again we don't pay for healthcare  :-DD

@0culus: They're getting rid of DST changes in Europe. Hope we get that too. Does me in too.

Wow, that really sucks and I guess I can't complain too much. But they call New York State "Land of Taxes" and I swear if they could figure out how to tax you for taking a shit they would.  |O :-DD

There are taxes and state fees on your water bill. Read the fine print.  ;)
Holy shitballs! What is this?  ;D   
The 2430 I ordered claiming it powered up but had display issues. So I was going to use it as a parts mule and swap over the dead power supply. But there's a problem. There's nothing wrong with this one. Powers up. Passes all self tests. The only display issue I see is a slight defocusing of the readouts upper left and right corners. Adjusting focus and astig have no real affect. But it's hardly noticeable and perfectly acceptable. So my 2430 just became the parts mule. This guy is good to go. $45 USD plus $22 shipping. A freaking steal. It's missing the bail handle probably because it was rack mounted. No problem...case from the parts mule. And both external trig BNC's are bent. I'm sure I can straighten them out. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it....it's got a weird GUI.

Unlike some of us in here I have NOT given up on the old SUPERIOR iron.  >:D :-DD :-DD

They cohabitate quite happily on my bench. I keep hoping they'll have a litter of meters and a SA or two; but so far nothing. Maybe I need to move them around, so the 1054Zed can have a go at some reverse cowboy action...  :-DD
This morning, I found this, along with a stack of other test equipment, in a shed about five miles south of here: I bought the differential amp, a HP6236B, a box full of tektronix 50 ohm BNC terminations, attenuators, calibration fixtures, N type adapters, and RG174 pigtails, along with a bag of JANX 2N1485 NOS transistors for 240USD.  Apparently it is part of a ex-tek engineer hoard; I am waiting for photos of the other bins.  The DM1855A was last calibrated in 2015, and other than the ding and busted button, appears to be in good working order.

Jelly here too!  :-+ Great score!!!

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27166 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:34 pm »

There are taxes and state fees on your water bill. Read the fine print.  ;)

No sir. We are on a private well. Most rural areas in this vicinity are.

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #27167 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:09 pm »
Holy shitballs! What is this?  ;D

The 2430 I ordered claiming it powered up but had display issues. So I was going to use it as a parts mule and swap over the dead power supply. But there's a problem. There's nothing wrong with this one. Powers up. Passes all self tests. The only display issue I see is a slight defocusing of the readouts upper left and right corners. Adjusting focus and astig have no real affect. But it's hardly noticeable and perfectly acceptable. So my 2430 just became the parts mule. This guy is good to go. $45 USD plus $22 shipping. A freaking steal. It's missing the bail handle probably because it was rack mounted. No problem...case from the parts mule. And both external trig BNC's are bent. I'm sure I can straighten them out. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it....it's got a weird GUI.

Unlike some of us in here I have NOT given up on the old SUPERIOR iron.  >:D :-DD :-DD     

Pretty much the same story for me and my 2440s.  Bought one in a rack adaptor at a flea market.  Stone dead.  Bought a portable one locally off ebay that failed a selftest; object: partsmule.  Turns out that one only failed because the cabinet was on upside down and blocked airflow.  Eventually made the first one work and portable.  Now I have a working pair.  I probably spent nearly $400 (plus my time) on the pair, including probes (3x6137s).  I'm jealous of your steal...

The GUI does take some getting-used-to.  OTOH, even the 2430A is more capable than the 2430.  Calibration is fairly easy.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27168 on: March 13, 2019, 09:27:45 pm »
This morning, I found this, along with a stack of other test equipment, in a shed about five miles south of here:......

And I'm totally with Med here!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27169 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:26 pm »
@Neomys, your package arrived today! No need to spank anyone.  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27170 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
I updated the previous post with PICS of the unit off for just general walk around. Here are of few of the 5100B doing its thing, this is a very brief overview of the high end specs, but this unit can do SO MUCH MORE. I will have a video ready by weeks end. I also have been working on a Keithley 228 that needed repair. I want to do two video before the week ends, one of each. But man I love this 5100B....Its a true Multi-function Calibrator. 

NOW you have the sort of calibrator that I was talking about. But you were interested in calibrators before, or was it sparked by that stuff from the deceased guy?
Nice unit. No, I will not elaborate.  :'(

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27171 on: March 13, 2019, 09:53:04 pm »
@Neomys, your package arrived today! No need to spank anyone.  :-DD
Say, you couldn't have waited a day longer with that?
No calibrator, no fun, what are you trying here?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27172 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:20 pm »
TDS210 lives! A cap on the secondary side had gone funky. I replaced all of the secondary side ones, from stock fortunately, and it powered up straight away. Also the display is bright again now. Think that cap was loading the bugger down.

Watch cap diameters if you have to do this. I was lucky I had some narrow ones in. I think I bought them to recap this but didn't bother in the end  :-DD

Edit: also DS1054Z arriving tomorrow but typically I forgot I had a hospital appointment so will have to go and fetch it from the local TNT depot on friday probably  >:(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:48:00 pm by bd139 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27173 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:40 pm »
TDS210 lives! A cap on the secondary side had gone funky. I replaced all of the secondary side ones, from stock fortunately, and it powered up straight away. Also the display is bright again now. Think that cap was loading the bugger down.

Watch cap diameters if you have to do this. I was lucky I had some narrow ones in. I think I bought them to recap this but didn't bother in the end  :-DD

Edit: also DS1054Z arriving tomorrow but typically I forgot I had a hospital appointment so will have to go and fetch it from the local TNT depot on friday probably  >:(
So which one will you keep ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27174 on: March 13, 2019, 11:02:49 pm »
All of them  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf