Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16636515 times)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27025 on: March 12, 2019, 12:32:25 am »
RPN for life!  :-+ I turned it on on the 35s and I have no idea how to turn it off, nor would I want to.

RPN?  bleeeeeech!

spent all that time in junior high learning algebra.

so in 1975 when the professor said we could use calculators or slide rules I bought a TI SR10 and never looked back.

hmmmmmm.  what class was that?  might have been servomechanisms and controls.   geeeeeeeeze.  I am an old bastard.

free range primate

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27026 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:07 am »
RPN for life!  :-+ I turned it on on the 35s and I have no idea how to turn it off, nor would I want to.

RPN?  bleeeeeech!

so in 1975 when the professor said we could use calculators or slide rules I bought a TI SR10 and never looked back.

hmmmmmm.  what class was that?  might have been servomechanisms and controls.   geeeeeeeeze.  I am an old bastard.

Heathen!!!!!  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27027 on: March 12, 2019, 12:46:45 am »

RPN?  bleeeeeech!

the rpn guys called me much worse in 1975.  but I have never ever used one of those tools of the devil.

(we unwashed TI users sat on one side of the room so as not to be contaminated by the "reversers".)
free range primate

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27028 on: March 12, 2019, 12:51:22 am »
More RPN calculators for me!  :-+  :-DMM

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27029 on: March 12, 2019, 12:51:55 am »

RPN?  bleeeeeech!

The Real Reason for the RPN minority - They were worried about theft Uni when they went to the dark side >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27030 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:39 am »
RPNers are people of very few words  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27031 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:32 am »

RPN?  bleeeeeech!

Indeed!
I have two HP28S and RPNCalc on every PC that I used longer that 5min. Somewhere is a 48-emulator.
I had an ugly TI 58-something as a teenager, which I discarded for a programmable (Casio?). Then I became involved with hex and binary and understood the stack concept. Nothing but RPN shall get near my numbers!

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27032 on: March 12, 2019, 01:15:24 am »
when taunting the rpn'ers we had to tread lightly.  we could emphasize the "reverse" bit.  why would anyone use a thing that was "reverse"?

but we did not mention the p word.  ya' see there was this large gentleman roaming the halls who was sorta polish.  and a defensive lineman.

was too scared to ever talk to him and sure did not want to ever piss him off.  (remember when mongo came to town in blazing saddles....it was like that)

he went on to play for the jets and was a member off the "new york sack exchange". 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:51:05 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27033 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:02 am »
Just soze y'all know... aside from being Welsh, this dwagon is also largely Polish.

I too was largely offensive line, and I too am offended by RPN. Not by the term, but by it's very existence.  :-DD

mnem
teh RPN pi is a lie!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27034 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:38 am »
Man, I found another HP Voyager calculator on ebay. HP 15c, with the sleeve and the manual. Do I, or don't I...  :palm:

HP calcnuttery?  I don't know anyone with that problem.   :-DD

Three cheers for the only type of calculator (RPN) where the operands and functions both operate in the same manner!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27035 on: March 12, 2019, 01:22:50 am »
Nice collection!

...on a side note, I'm also looking for a print copy of the HP 16C manual. The 16C I have unfortunately only had the sleeve when I got it.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27036 on: March 12, 2019, 01:28:16 am »
Why RPN?

Because people learn incorrect arithmetic from many calculators. If you don't believe me, go and ask a primary school teacher what 1+2*3 is, and see what proportion get the answer right. The clued up ones will ask where the brackets are, to which you should reply "none, just the normal laws of arithmetic".

When they didn't believe the answer, I used to get out two Casio calculators, one of which gave the correct answer, one didn't.

Besides, it is more intellectually satisfying to gather everything you need, and then do something with them. Gathering half, starting to do something, stopping to get the rest of it, then signalling that it can continue is ... messy.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27037 on: March 12, 2019, 01:31:59 am »
Agreed. I "discovered" RPN thanks to my dad (who bought an HP-45 brand new at college and still has it), and I've never looked back.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27038 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:23 am »
ok.....before I get banned for starting a kerfuffle,  let me try this.

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27039 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:21 am »
HP calculator trivia: Our beloved pinnacles of numeric precision even made it into one of Clancy's novels, where a 'large HP programmable' in the hands of some missile defence expert is mentioned!

And a little *reverse cowgirl'. May the 'arithmetic' heathens feel that whip!

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27040 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:14 am »
Anything Reversed and Polish just isn't right and you get messy hands from trying it seems ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27041 on: March 12, 2019, 01:51:18 am »
Left-handed Latvian Rodeo Torture FTW!!!   :-DD

mnem
My wife is a pervy widdle dwagon fancier.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:01:47 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27042 on: March 12, 2019, 01:54:04 am »
So I came in from nuking a Prius and...

As usual, the finished print looked pretty good, aside from a little X-axis ghosting. Good adhesion; I actually had to pry them loose this time, even though they were fully cooled. I just love popping out the supports... they come off so clean with this printer now I have a proper Tornado profile to use.  :-+ Minimal trimming and hot-air touch-up yields excellent-looking product, especially for "Draft" quality 0.2mm LH... even the "bad" side is pretty tight.  :-+ :-+

But basic durability testing turned into destructive testing; as I feared, the 1.5mm walls left no infill to add strength to the perpendicular faces of the fins, and they not only broke without trying too hard, they broke easily with just moderate pressure from a thumb.   |O  "Unreasonable care" would definitely have to be taken to keep them from breaking. Those fins in the parallel plane had pretty good durability; twisting with pliers was needed to make them break, and when they did, it took a fair amount of the parent structure with it.   :-\

Given that... I'm not sure even PETG could make this a strong part; the fins are just too thin, as is the area of the core material where it pulled apart. I think I'm going to try two more flipped on end to see if the circular pattern that will produce yields a considerably stronger fin. But first, I may mod it a bit so that last fin is a little thicker and I can get at least a mm or two of high-density infill.

Cheers,

mnem
*A learning experience*

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:00:39 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27043 on: March 12, 2019, 02:02:41 am »
More Radius in the bottoms of the fins would help printed as you did. Printing them vertically would be better then screw would take a fair ammount of the load then across the layers and the fins would be stronger (outside of the Foot to the bed). Not that I have one of those scopes but I might have a play with it and do a PETG one after I finish playing with HP Knobs.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #27044 on: March 12, 2019, 02:04:09 am »

Three cheers for the only type of calculator (RPN) where the operands and functions both operate in the same manner!

We should start another addicted group thread - HPA - Hewlett Packard Anonymous.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27045 on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:40 am »
I'm down.  :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #27046 on: March 12, 2019, 02:12:13 am »

We should start another addicted group thread - HPA - Hewlett Packard Anonymous.  :-DD

RPN is for people who dont mind that their brain is misused as a stack for intermediate results. My brain has a very low stack depth. But I wrote a compiler that did the tricks with the brackets once and for all ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27047 on: March 12, 2019, 02:13:28 am »
ok.....before I get banned for starting a kerfuffle,  let me try this.

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

Yes, provided we all agree that vi is little better than edlin, whereas emacs is useful :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27048 on: March 12, 2019, 02:17:39 am »

RPN is for people who dont mind that their brain is misused as a stack for intermediate results. My brain has a very low stack depth. But I wrote a compiler that did the tricks with the brackets once and for all ...

A depth of 4 is sufficient for all "handheld" purposes. If you need more then you need to be using a spreadsheet or full-blown programming language.

I hate it when I come across a calculator and want to calculate the sine of 1 radian, and don't know whether to enter "1 sine =" or "sine(1)=".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27049 on: March 12, 2019, 02:40:19 am »
More Radius in the bottoms of the fins would help printed as you did. Printing them vertically would be better then screw would take a fair amount of the load then across the layers and the fins would be stronger (outside of the Foot to the bed). Not that I have one of those scopes but I might have a play with it and do a PETG one after I finish playing with HP Knobs.

Kewl... good that I'm thinking in the right direction. IIRC, these feet have a steel bushing up the middle and it appears this .stl is designed to go around that. It may be that original intent was for it to be epoxied to that bushing for strength.

Go play with your knobs! I'll update if I have time for this diversion after couch-tuber-time widda boy.  ;)

mnem
"SPOON!!!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf