Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16656774 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24825 on: February 09, 2019, 06:03:12 am »
Not sure how well known this IC cross reference is but from Page 6 onward HP owns up to compatible and or original manufacturers were (circa 1990)

http://www.hparchive.com/Bench_Briefs/HP-Bench-Briefs-1990-07-12.pdf
Many thanks for posting that table, very interesting and it goes into my reference folder for future use  :-+
Dropped here too:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repair-documents-and-links-sticky-me-please-mods/msg1434146/#msg1434146

Thanks Bean.

Found the elusive !@#$er  :palm: And Tautechs linked thread.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24826 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:02 am »

OH SHIT, I am feeling the urge to SPLURGE!

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24827 on: February 09, 2019, 07:42:49 am »
Back to reality ( I stole mnen's font ideas.)

I did spend some time with the 335D today. After getting the A2 String Board remounted to the bulk head, I was able to run some 1st pass CAL tests in accordance with sec.4 of the manual. The +25V line was good, the VRef was 15.00100, adjusted to 15.00000 (+/- 4uV), and all the CAL pots reset to center mass. As I went through from Deck_C, up to Deck_A, I did find a couple flaws between the 3rd and 4th decades,  but for the most part, I am very pleased with the 1st pass. This is 1V full scale from the 10V Range. No active filter, I just set the PLC to 10 so it was slow enough to see (this meter is CRAZY FAST!). I let it run a while so I could collect a fair bit of data points.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24828 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:45 am »
The Sleevening - Part... Whatever.

Custom Made & Sleeved GPU Power Cable is UTTERLY PIMP - FUCK YEAH!!!

Original ATX Power Cables Sleeved to Match are 75mm TOO SHORT - FUCK NO-O-O-O!!!

mnem
I'm fucking going to bed.  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:43:50 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24829 on: February 09, 2019, 08:25:51 am »
OH SHIT, I am feeling the urge to SPLURGE!

Yeah, you should totally get a DMMCheckPlus.  :-DD  That's what he's using as his voltage standard there at the end.

mnem
So should I...  :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24830 on: February 09, 2019, 08:39:14 am »

Time for the wiringing  ;D Also need to drill some speed holes in the lower case for some air in for the twin fans to shovel out the stacks.

Rough numbers plus a 1-10 \$\Omega\$ 50W decade.

As a Load
Series max voltage 35V @ 3.5A 10 \$\Omega\$ 120W
Series/Parallel 17.5V @ 7A 2.5  \$\Omega\$ 120W
Parallel 7V @ 14A 0.48  \$\Omega\$ 100W
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24831 on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:25 am »
I've also been tempted to get a DMMcheckplus but IMHO it does not guarantee that your DMM is accurate. Just like the 2 much cheaper AD584-M references I have don't guarantee is either. Why? Because they only check one range (typically 20V range) of all the available DCV ranges. Your 200mV range for example could be totally fubar and you'd never know it. In the care and feeding of my vintage Flukes I've seen this many times. And I'm seeing it now going through full calibrations. That's why I've gone to the trouble of building references to cover ALL the DCV ranges. No, they ain't accurate to 8 decimal places but at least I have a fighting chance of having reasonably accurate DMM's across all ranges. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24832 on: February 09, 2019, 08:53:01 am »

Time for the wiringing  ;D Also need to drill some speed holes in the lower case for some air in for the twin fans to shovel out the stacks.

Rough numbers plus a 1-10 \$\Omega\$ 50W decade.

As a Load
Series max voltage 35V @ 3.5A 10 \$\Omega\$ 120W
Series/Parallel 17.5V @ 7A 2.5  \$\Omega\$ 120W
Parallel 7V @ 14A 0.48  \$\Omega\$ 100W

Looks nice and professional.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24833 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:44 am »
As an all in one sanity checker they are a good thing for AC/DC & R. but no good for calibrating anything really. When Inverted is back to 'normal' ;) and gets me my next toy freighted I will be covered to 5.5 digits with good certainty and toward 6.5 but a bit less certain until I anti up for 8.5 digits.

Can't take the $ with me may as well spend it ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24834 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:03 am »
As an all in one sanity checker they are a good thing for AC/DC & R. but no good for calibrating anything really. When Inverted is back to 'normal' ;) and gets me my next toy freighted I will be covered to 5.5 digits with good certainty and toward 6.5 but a bit less certain until I anti up for 8.5 digits.

Agreed, as a sanity checker they are valuable. But since I don't venture beyond 5.5 digit territory for the price of one DMMcheckplus I can have 4 or 5 AD584-M references and cross check them. (And I do cross check my 2). 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24835 on: February 09, 2019, 09:11:03 am »
Wow, so many injuries lately: backs, hands, and more (ahem). I just got a measly cold sore. No comparison to you guys. Hope y'all recover soon. It's like it's going around. :o
Backs are a by product of having to many boat anchors and having to keep moving them on and off the bench as well getting them to the lab in the fist place.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24836 on: February 09, 2019, 09:19:39 am »
Wow, so many injuries lately: backs, hands, and more (ahem). I just got a measly cold sore. No comparison to you guys. Hope y'all recover soon. It's like it's going around. :o
Backs are a by product of having to many boat anchors and having to keep moving them on and off the bench as well getting them to the lab in the fist place.

Agreed..this shits getting out of control. I just sent an offer or a more compact, yet still badass Universal Cal unit, hopefully Ill get it.

As to the voltage standards Signal Path used...I have built several far better on my own, and still have some pretty nice Vref's and high end LTC op amps if anyone wants to play along. I also built a DIY 6.5 digital DC calibration unit, which started as the 'Scullcom Hobby' cal unit and I just spent too much to make it better.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24837 on: February 09, 2019, 09:24:47 am »
...yet the BUFF has basically outlived every single aircraft that was supposed to replace it. Solid bird.  :-+
It's a real wonder that plane, its entire skin is all wrinkly these days too, so the nose art is good as it looks like a dwagons scaley skin alright.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24838 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:19 am »
I've also been tempted to get a DMMcheckplus but IMHO it does not guarantee that your DMM is accurate. Just like the 2 much cheaper AD584-M references I have don't guarantee is either. Why? Because they only check one range (typically 20V range) of all the available DCV ranges. Your 200mV range for example could be totally fubar and you'd never know it. In the care and feeding of my vintage Flukes I've seen this many times. And I'm seeing it now going through full calibrations. That's why I've gone to the trouble of building references to cover ALL the DCV ranges. No, they ain't accurate to 8 decimal places but at least I have a fighting chance of having reasonably accurate DMM's across all ranges.
That's why I also got of the Mastech calibrators that does mv and ma ranges  and allows you to step though, in volts, upto 16v in 1mv increments if you want. I'm not sure what the max current is though.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24839 on: February 09, 2019, 09:41:33 am »

I know what you mean, I'd like one of Inverted 18650 calibrators and then I think about the consequences of dropping into that rabbit hole, scared.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:44:35 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24840 on: February 09, 2019, 09:44:20 am »
I know what you mean, I'd one of Inverted 18650 calibrators and then I think about the consequences of dropping into that rabbit hole, scared.

Waiting on Inverted to get well and get me to 1PPM from the terrible 2PPM of my 740B - What Wabbit Hole  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24841 on: February 09, 2019, 09:51:53 am »
If I had a full whack calibrator Id get it calibrated against a standard and start a business with it!

To note I worked for a company with 100,000 staff once that was mostly engineering. They didn’t even have a calibrator.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24842 on: February 09, 2019, 10:02:24 am »
It is a dark day...

After many years of being measured and considered in my exploits with electronics, recent events have brought the planets into alignment and desires long suppressed have been stirred.  Dark shadows have begun to waver in long forgotten corridors of my mind and an uneasy air fills every laboured breath.

Now awakened is the beast that engulfs reason, that turns every available space into a mesmerising vortex, pulling me in, dragging me down the rabbit hole - not fighting nor in panic, but with a desperation that grows with each heartbeat.  The hole must be filled.

Blurred visions of eBay blearily drift into sharp focus.  Activity on the EEVblog's Buy and Sell board leaps skyward ... and the wallet cringes.

T.E.A. has now passed its incubation period... 

Enabled by the prospect of finding 15 units of 19" rack space on my bench, my vision has widened - and that spectrum analyser about which I often fancifully mused, is now a yearning that cannot be ignored.  Already, I have lashed out and spent $14 on eBay parts to make my own H field probes.  (Thanks Dave.)

I am ruined.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:03:59 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Inverted18650, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24843 on: February 09, 2019, 10:04:27 am »
If I had a full whack calibrator Id get it calibrated against a standard and start a business with it!

To note I worked for a company with 100,000 staff once that was mostly engineering. They didn’t even have a calibrator.
That thought had crossed my mind as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24844 on: February 09, 2019, 10:08:40 am »
It is a dark day...

After many years of being measured and considered in my exploits with electronics, recent events have brought the planets into alignment and desires long suppressed have been stirred.  Dark shadows have begun to waver in long forgotten corridors of my mind and an uneasy air fills every laboured breath.

Now awakened is the beast that engulfs reason, that turns every available space into a mesmerising vortex, pulling me in, dragging me down the rabbit hole - not fighting nor in panic, but with a desperation that grows with each heartbeat.  The hole must be filled.

Blurred visions of eBay blearily drift into sharp focus.  Activity on the EEVblog's Buy and Sell board leaps skyward ... and the wallet cringes.

T.E.A. has now passed its incubation period... 

Enabled by the prospect of finding 15 units of 19" rack space on my bench, my vision has widened - and that spectrum analyser about which I often fancifully mused, is now a yearning that cannot be ignored.  Already, I have lashed out and spent $14 on eBay parts to make my own H field probes.  (Thanks Dave.)

I am ruined.
Yep, I thought Dave said $10 should do it.. You'll go to the wall for that $4 over spend[emoji16]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24845 on: February 09, 2019, 10:18:51 am »
I am damn near even on this lot with 2 of these Fluke 332B units still here. Pay shipping its yours. May need a little love but its nothing we cant make happen ( I have repaired a few and if I cant help get it done, someone else here can). Serious offer BTW.

**edit: the next time I move them, Id like it to be in a box leaving here. I can setup the eBay listing and use their cheap shipping as well. "Whatever's Clever" works for me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:22:38 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24846 on: February 09, 2019, 10:24:08 am »
I have had a bit of a look at the option of doing Calibration and $50-200k would get you going if you want to do it properly :o The old individual bits even kept in careful calibrated condition will be painfully slow compared to the semi automated options used in a modern Lab so you would be at a major disadvantage.

Offering to conduct traceable measurement and data logging is potentially a different matter and is worth further investigation (at least I think it is).

@Brumby about time  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24847 on: February 09, 2019, 10:25:36 am »
I am damn near even on this lot with 2 of these Fluke 332B units still here. Pay shipping its yours. May need a little love but its nothing we cant make happen ( I have repaired a few and if I cant help get it done, someone else here can). Serious offer BTW.

**edit: the next time I move them, Id like it to be in a box leaving here. I can setup the eBay listing and use their cheap shipping as well. "Whatever's Clever" works for me.

Good work  :-+ Just hurry up and get well I 'need' a 332B sorted out >:D

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24848 on: February 09, 2019, 10:40:18 am »
Someone claim it or one of the random (5) post people is going to pop in and take it....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24849 on: February 09, 2019, 10:43:13 am »
I have had a bit of a look at the option of doing Calibration and $50-200k would get you going if you want to do it properly :o The old individual bits even kept in careful calibrated condition will be painfully slow compared to the semi automated options used in a modern Lab so you would be at a major disadvantage.

Offering to conduct traceable measurement and data logging is potentially a different matter and is worth further investigation (at least I think it is).

@Brumby about time  :-DD

The great thing about Keithley, the hidden jewel, is the 'KickStart' software, which can automate it all...The 7510 can talk or receive on any data line out there and (i Hope) works seamlessly with the other protocols for automation..more once I get right and have the time to try it of course.

Winding down at the end of a terribly long week, been awake nearly 36 hours now and need to get some rest. Until then ...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:45:34 am by Inverted18650 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf